Effect of Recruit PVP vendor gear on Crafting

Aphraell

Has every crafter gone to check out the new PVP Recruit Vendors?

These guys sell(for cheap 10-30k per peice) level 126 items. I spent a fortune on all my different crafting characters to learn Teir 2 (Green - Blue - Purple) items which are only level 124.

All this gear is well and truly good enough to put new 50's straight into Hard Modes/Normal Operations without the need to buy anything from a crafter.

They sell:

Implants(Biochem)

Earpeices(Cybertech)

Armor(Synthweaving/Armortech) All 7 slots

Weapons(Artifice/Armstech)

Relics(Artifice) No alignment requirements.

Offhands(Artifice/Armstech)

Ok, you might say well they have heavy Expertise stat at budget cost of Main stats. This is not true. They are pretty much better in every stat than a crafted Epic peice. To me thats just an added bonus of buying the gear.

You can now run HM, OPs AND do PVP.. All with the 1 set of items. I compared the gear to my new 50 in my Epic crafted gear I made . I ended up buying the recruit gear as it was actually better in dps/armor and stats.

Bioware seriously needs to look at this. It was bad enough that you could buy gear through commendation vendors, which in some cases (at 50) was better than what a crafter could actually make. But now you implement a vendor which sells everything a new 50 could want. You just defeated the purpose of crafting completely.

I just bought a full set of gear covering every slot for a TOTAL of 286000 credits.

Bioware - please remove these vendors and fix your beginner pvp gear another way.

Edited by Aphraell
Changed Title

Ive been dissapointed with armor/arms crafting since day 1 and this added insult to injury! They promised us more schematics so we could make EPIC stuff....what a lie...The only thing we can now make is Augmented versions of the new raid gear and campaign gear...Both of wich are as ugly as the rest of the raid gear...Instead of letting us learn to make some of the mid 30's trhough upper 40's gear that actually looks good and comes in several color options and guns that are in wider variety they instead put a match the color of my chest piece button wich doesnt even work on alot of the helms in game nor some of the other gear vary well..

Why cant they understand in MMOs today more people want to stand out...Be Heroic! look different but still be able to have comparible stats to others that are sporting all this EPIC end game gear. Look at other MMOS that came before you...You said you wanted every person to feel heroic....to feel unique....yet I see EVERYONE on the fleet running around with th same Cow horns and Mowhawk Helms or Aliean vs Predator Insect like armor all standing at the auction hall. If they arent in that gear yet its cuz they are on an alt or they are still griding to 50 and then to through PVP or raid pugs...

I remember when LOTRO introduced their cosmetic gear slots on toons. Everyone could buy any gear and slot it in a cosmetic slot and then still equip stat based gear and not change your toon....BEst IDEA ever for making your community of players stand out from each other and make each person truly feel different and be able to express themself. I dont think they have ti go that far here....But since crafted gear sucks comared to all other end game/pvp gear at least they could make it so crafters ould make any of the armor in game into orange version of the gear that are modable so players could buy gear based off a certain look and then mod it out how they see fit. Pull the mods out of their EPIC UGLY raid and put it in something they have custom tuned to their look for who and what they feel their charcter should be. Then you would at least have a reason for people to craft gear other than to gear up peoples companions and casual players who dont always have the time to invest in grinding gear and heroics and dailies.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the PvP recruit gear just last week and it compares to my orange gear pretty well. Unfortunately I spent many many credits to get my orange slots filled with blue and some purple items. Once I saw this I thought SWTOR was killing the game by doing this. As a crafter of the armor and mod slots (cybertech) I cannot justify wasting my money to produce inferior (even purple) armor and mods as it is way cheaper to buy this stuff.

And yes I understand this gear is great for starting in warzones but hey, spending all the credits to make cybertech stuff, getting to 400 in cybertech, and forgeting the PvP help you get for starting in warzones, I can get comparable lvl 50 stuff for 17K credits instead of wasting my time trying to craft it. Makes no sense

Best

Edited by Jprk

I see only one answer. Gamedevs of swtor are inexperienced in subscription MMO. BUT! They have real experience in cheapest f2p online games (something like travian, only worse), where the main goal is to make players donate, and one of the main means - shortage of ingame currency. So, they just did what they always do. This would explain why best gear is SOLD, instead of crafted, or awarded through series of quests.

As it is - it, well, you know what I mean. Crafting is real pain in the ..., plus it is unrewarding.

Edited by LKane

It's sad seeing the OP and the responses in this thread spouting off about how terrible this is for crafters without sparing even a cursory amount of time to realize that Recruit gear is significantly worse that crafted gear for PvE. If I had a tank in my guild wearing Recruit Supercommando's Bracers to an Operation, I would smack them, and make them sit out while I made them a pair of Veracity Enforcer's Bracers. Not to mention how flabbergasted I would be if someone was foolish enough to be tanking in Recruit Supercommando's Helmet, when they could be wearing Veracity TT-17A Elite Vanguard Helmet. 8 Mando Iron isn't even all that expensive these days.

There's not even a tradeoff here. Crafted gear is significantly better for PvE, hands down.

It's sad seeing the OP and the responses in this thread spouting off about how terrible this is for crafters without sparing even a cursory amount of time to realize that Recruit gear is significantly worse that crafted gear for PvE. If I had a tank in my guild wearing Recruit Supercommando's Bracers to an Operation, I would smack them, and make them sit out while I made them a pair of Veracity Enforcer's Bracers. Not to mention how flabbergasted I would be if someone was foolish enough to be tanking in Recruit Supercommando's Helmet, when they could be wearing Veracity TT-17A Elite Vanguard Helmet. 8 Mando Iron isn't even all that expensive these days.

There's not even a tradeoff here. Crafted gear is significantly better for PvE, hands down.

Could the same be said of your dps? your healer? Your point on tanks is valid tho. From what i see the only draw for crafted stuff is augment slots and "shiny i gotta have all my slots covered in it' arftifact purple rarity.

Edited by Spaj

Could the same be said of your dps? your healer? Your point on tanks is valid tho. From what i see the only draw for crafted stuff is augment slots and "shiny i gotta have all my slots covered in it' arftifact purple rarity.

It absolutely applies to healers and DPS. Expert Arch Savant Boots are vastly superior to Recruit Force Master's Boots. Under no circumstances in PvE would you want Recruit Eliminator's Belt over Expert Military War Belt. Unless there are recruit relics (not 100% sure about this) I would be surprised if there's a single piece of Recruit gear that's actually, objectively better for PvE than a crafted alternative.

Crafted gear has always been the best "Operation starter" gear. In nearly all cases, it's better than Tionese gear, and occasionally matches well against Columi when it's augmented. The introduction of the Recruit gear hasn't changed this, it's just made an inferior alternative more immediately available.

I still stand by my original post title.

The ease and price of Recruit PVP gear has effected crafting, its pretty hard to deny that.

As to saying that EPIC teir 2 crafted gear is better. "Some" of it is. Not all. As to me saying that they can run HM, OPS and PVP. This is still true. There's no reason at all that you couldnt run any of these with this gear. EV and KP are that easy that this gear is easily good enough to clear the Operation.

All the gear is in one conveniant spot and very cheap. If the price was higher I wouldnt have such an issue.

In my opinion it is unfair to compare crafted artifact level gear, with the prototype pvp gear you can buy from the pvp vendors.

On my server I couldn't even craft prototype armor pieces for the price the pvp vendors demand, if I had to buy the raw materials on the market. Not speaking about the next tier. And taking into account the resources required to reverse engineer the schematics rewuired.

So, while for PvP necessary, the impact on the crafting professions is a hard one.

On my server I couldn't even craft prototype armor pieces for the price the pvp vendors demand, if I had to buy the raw materials on the market. Not speaking about the next tier. And taking into account the resources required to reverse engineer the schematics required.

Why are you buying mats? Your crew should be out running missions for the mats all the time.

I think the real issue here is the the recruit gear hurts the "casual" crafter. Unfortunately, this game requires more luck or dedication to sit at the top. You HAVE to run your crew raw getting resources. You HAVE to get missions to get purple mats and you certainly HAVE to waste a ton of credits and mats to RE items to have the most popular ones.

HOWEVER, the payoff is well worth it. I speak from experience.

Swijr

I was looking at the PvP recruit gear just last week and it compares to my orange gear pretty well. Unfortunately I spent many many credits to get my orange slots filled with blue and some purple items. Once I saw this I thought SWTOR was killing the game by doing this. As a crafter of the armor and mod slots (cybertech) I cannot justify wasting my money to produce inferior (even purple) armor and mods as it is way cheaper to buy this stuff.

And yes I understand this gear is great for starting in warzones but hey, spending all the credits to make cybertech stuff, getting to 400 in cybertech, and forgeting the PvP help you get for starting in warzones, I can get comparable lvl 50 stuff for 17K credits instead of wasting my time trying to craft it. Makes no sense

Best

Why? You can get 1 armoring, 1 mod and 1 enhancment (all purple level 49) for FREE every day by running Ilum/Belsavis dailies. Daily gear is on par with and often better than Tionese (which is mindnumbingly simple to get too now that daily lockouts are gone).

By the way, Daily modded gear is VASTLY superior to Recruit gear. Furthermore, Cybertech/Artifice crafted level 49 purples are superior to Recruit as well in terms of main/secondary stats. 124 v 128 armoring is absolutely nothing in this game.

I still stand by my original post title.

The ease and price of Recruit PVP gear has effected crafting, its pretty hard to deny that.

As to saying that EPIC teir 2 crafted gear is better. "Some" of it is. Not all. As to me saying that they can run HM, OPS and PVP. This is still true. There's no reason at all that you couldnt run any of these with this gear. EV and KP are that easy that this gear is easily good enough to clear the Operation.

All the gear is in one conveniant spot and very cheap. If the price was higher I wouldnt have such an issue.

Then there is no hope for educating you OP. Anavarra clearly and overwhelmingly defeated your premise with Armormech/Synthweaving. And as I posted above both Dailies and Cybertech/Artifice level 49 artifact modifications are vastly superior to Recruit.

I have six 400 crafting toons. I have managed to RE until I can make purple for every toon, every slot. And I have never bought a recruit set. I'll be honest with you, I don't have a hard time getting medals in pvp with that gear either.

Here is another pro tip. A jugg tank in full pve crafted 49/50 purples can routinely score in top 1/3 in huttball in terms of medals and be a decisive factor in a game.