Where is the new WZ?

Dawginole

This was playable at GamesCon over a month ago. I have a sneaking suspicion this is completed content that was left out of 1.4 purposefully just in case they didn't get their other stuff done by Nov. 7th (the six week deadline) so that they would have a piece of already finished content in their back pocket to push out.

I just don't get it. You showed this at GamesCon. That was a month and a half ago. Now you are going to wait 6 more weeks to release it? So this thing is going to have been completed for almost 3 months before we get to see it?

PvE'ers get a full line of new gear and a new OP and you have a new WZ ready to go and PvP'ers just get the shaft?

Nicely done...

Edited by Dawginole

Not sure if you are being serious or not. You believe that they are holding onto a finished warzone?

I'm not sure if you're being serious. It was completely, entirely playable at GamesCon six weeks ago. Not like they showed a trailer. Like they had live machines where people could go play the full WZ at the convention... six weeks ago. The only thing that wasn't completed then was the closing cinematic. Google it.

Edited by Dawginole

Giving the benefit of the doubt...

The new warzone was never slated for 1.4. Rather, it is coming in a future content patch, likely around the same time that F2P launches. We don't know, because no date has been given. Other content expected still this year include HK-51 and story updates with Makeb. Cathar may or not make it in this year, depending on how that project goes.

Giving the benefit of the doubt...

The new warzone was never slated for 1.4. Rather, it is coming in a future content patch, likely around the same time that F2P launches. We don't know, because no date has been given. Other content expected still this year include HK-51 and story updates with Makeb. Cathar may or not make it in this year, depending on how that project goes.

Not my point. My point is that this wz was 99% complete by their own admission by the 19th of August. People played it. There are live youtube vids of it. So surely six weeks later, i.e. now, any bugs were worked out and it is good to go live. Hell look at all the bugs we have in 1.4. I'm sure Ancient Hypergates wasn't any worse.

So if it was 99% done 6 weeks ago, then the only reasonable explanation is that they are purposefully holding onto it because they fear they won't have whatever else they are working on done by Nov. 7th and they need some finished content in their back pockets.

Why do you people still trust these guys? Why are you still giving them the "benefit of the doubt" after 10 months of garbage service and constant screw ups. I love the actual game, but BW as an MMO provider has been a total and complete joke. And it's been even worse with EA's accountants breathing down their necks.

There is no more "benefit of the doubt".

I would say:

1. Bug hunting/fixing.

2. Fine tuning/optimisation.

I still enjoy the WZs we have now (apart from Huttball - never really liked that one) and I think that's down to the (in my opinion) excellent design/fine tuning.

I'm sure some will disagree with me, and that's fine. But for me, personally, I still like that every inch of a WZ feels like it was laboured over and playtested over and over and over again.

I understand your frustration though. Would love to play a new WZ :)

QS :D

Not my point. My point is that this wz was 99% complete by their own admission by the 19th of August. People played it. There are live youtube vids of it. So surely six weeks later, i.e. now, any bugs were worked out and it is good to go live. Hell look at all the bugs we have in 1.4. I'm sure Ancient Hypergates wasn't any worse.

So if it was 99% done 6 weeks ago, then the only reasonable explanation is that they are purposefully holding onto it because they fear they won't have whatever else they are working on done by Nov. 7th and they need some finished content in their back pockets.

Why do you people still trust these guys? Why are you still giving them the "benefit of the doubt" after 10 months of garbage service and constant screw ups. I love the actual game, but BW as an MMO provider has been a total and complete joke. And it's been even worse with EA's accountants breathing down their necks.

There is no more "benefit of the doubt".

Exactly that but if you also read the interview till the END they were having some problems on the final part of the WZ when all hell goes loose and explodes.

Meaning that most probably it wasnt ready preciselly cause that 1% u said that is still missing.

Yup. It takes Bioware SEVEN MONTHS to make and release a small, instanced enclosure with 2 objective mechanics, and copy pasted code for the enviroment.

Funny.. WoW has an average of 1 PvP Battlefield a year. Tor is currently on an average of 1 every 2,5 months (4 warzones in 10 months time)

Just sayin'..

Also, them holding back some content to at least be able to hold their every 6 weeks promise is not bad practice, it is smart. And it also means nothing is rushed. Things should be ready to be deployed 4-6 weeks before actual deployment, that way you have all that time to finetune and test it before going live.

Are people still that naive? Of course it was postponed so they can release it in 6 weeks.

Tell me why that is a bad thing? Why is it bad to hold back delivery of functionality to be able to deliver a promise made to your customer? Because if they delivered now and nothing in 6 weeks, then 6 weeks from now customers would be complaining about them not living up to their promise.

My sig prooves itself once more..

Tell me why that is a bad thing? Why is it bad to hold back delivery of functionality to be able to deliver a promise made to your customer? Because if they delivered now and nothing in 6 weeks, then 6 weeks from now customers would be complaining about them not living up to their promise.

My sig prooves itself once more..

It's a bad thing because if they released it now patch 1.4 would be that much more impressive. if you like paying subscription waiting for stuff to be released rather than playing it be my guest.

In an ideal situation the earlier release would mean more positive press for the game, more potential players coming back to the game, more money for Bioware to invest in working on those next releases.

But if the assumption with the new WZ is correct it is yet another proof that they don't care about investing in the game anymore and making it better, It's artificially creating that 6 weeks more frequent "cadence" just so it looks like they keep their promise and release content frequently while in reality that content is not so impressive.

I hate hypocrisy which I can see in everything this development team does from the very beginning of this game. 6 weeks "cadence" means "we complete the content but lets not give it to the players yet so we can continue with a maintenance mode throwing them a bone every 6 weeks and calling it more frequent updates".

it's a taste of things to come. Minimum content. Focus on cheap f2p options in the cash shop. You will mark my words :)

Edited by vandana_

I'm not sure if you're being serious. It was completely, entirely playable at GamesCon six weeks ago. Not like they showed a trailer. Like they had live machines where people could go play the full WZ at the convention... six weeks ago. The only thing that wasn't completed then was the closing cinematic. Google it.

F2P... its an ideal $$$ purchase in the cashop when it lands.... why release it before hand when they are pinning their hopes on an influx of hungry F2P'ers... keeerching

Yup. It takes Bioware SEVEN MONTHS to make and release a small, instanced enclosure with 2 objective mechanics, and copy pasted code for the enviroment.

LoL.. Copy Paste.. is that how they do it these days.

Maybe apply for the job Theo sounds like you have the eye for improvements on code writing, graphics design, sound editing, QA and customer support.

You da man!

It's a bad thing because if they released it now patch 1.4 would be that much more impressive. if you like paying subscription waiting for stuff to be released rather than playing it be my guest.

In an ideal situation the earlier release would mean more positive press for the game, more potential players coming back to the game, more money for Bioware to invest in working on those next releases.

But if the assumption with the new WZ is correct it is yet another proof that they don't care about investing in the game anymore and making it better, It's artificially creating that 6 weeks more frequent "cadence" just so it looks like they keep their promise and release content frequently while in reality that content is not so impressive.

I hate hypocrisy which I can see in everything this development team does from the very beginning of this game. 6 weeks "cadence" means "we complete the content but lets not give it to the players yet so we can continue with a maintenance mode throwing them a bone every 6 weeks and calling it more frequent updates".

it's a taste of things to come. Minimum content. Focus on cheap f2p options in the cash shop. You will mark my words :)

I may not be all that supportive of the depth of this updates content release or the quality of it or previous updates, but neither am I keen to keep seeing players whinning that its been 4,5,6,7,8,9,... weeks since our last bone was tossed to us.

It's pretty fair to say that BW have struggled to deliver contnent in the timescales they promted and have had to make changes and forfeits I guess like any business does.

Working in a fire fighting band aid mode is counter productive to their business and that's where they have been since launch imo... this new 6 week window is a their next throw of the dice and it makes perfect business sense to hold back content which in turn provides them with additional time to work on content for relase after that... see the pattern.

If they didnt have the contnet up their sleeve for the next 6-week window then any emergent work from this latest update would only server to eat into the next 6-week allocation and from there the snowball effect begins to apply itself again.. to the point players from any fragment of the player base, PvP, PvE, RP.. all loose out and likely start to usub at a rate of knots.

So no I see this as good planning albeit I like you would always want more and faster.. but MMO's are unrelenting beasts and the players within it only see what's on their screens not whats behind them.

Bottom line is The Devil they do, the Devil they dont but there is of course a silver lining to your cloud... you have another option, and plenty of choice outside of SWTOR....

Edited by Bloodstealer

Possibilities:

A) It wasn't actually ready and they lied

B) It's ready and they're trying to keep people hopeful about content that may prove lackluster

C) It takes them 7 months to do very little (which is a bad sign and kind of pathetic actually)

Neither A, B, or C exactly fills me with hope.

Don't worry, 6 week window will break in a year or so. Operation can't be produced in 6 weeks, warzone also can't be made in 6 weeks. Stuff like Makeb of SSP takes months of developement, things we only heard by name like HK or Ilum rework are hard to estimate, but even there it's probably hard to do them in 6 weeks. Yes, small updates suck, but so do waiting for unknown amount of time for new content.

So you can afford to eat today not only dinner for today, but also one you were supposed to eat tomorow. Tomorow, you will eat one saved for next day. But on sunday, instead of steak you'll have breadcrumbs.

its an ideal $$$ purchase in the cashop when it lands....

It's not. If WZ is not avaible to all lpayers, it means populations has to be split in 2 queues, often making wait times longer. And since you can't queue for specific WZ, people that would buy WZ would whine that it's hutball again and not their 'premium' WZ, or that it sucks, or not gives better rewards, or something. Warzones depend too much on random people avaible all the time to be monetized.

I may not be all that supportive of the depth of this updates content release or the quality of it or previous updates, but neither am I keen to keep seeing players whinning that its been 4,5,6,7,8,9,... weeks since our last bone was tossed to us.

It's pretty fair to say that BW have struggled to deliver contnent in the timescales they promted and have had to make changes and forfeits I guess like any business does.

Working in a fire fighting band aid mode is counter productive to their business and that's where they have been since launch imo... this new 6 week window is a their next throw of the dice and it makes perfect business sense to hold back content which in turn provides them with additional time to work on content for relase after that... see the pattern.

If they didnt have the contnet up their sleeve for the next 6-week window then any emergent work from this latest update would only server to eat into the next 6-week allocation and from there the snowball effect begins to apply itself again.. to the point players from any fragment of the player base, PvP, PvE, RP.. all loose out and likely start to usub at a rate of knots.

So no I see this as good planning albeit I like you would always want more and faster.. but MMO's are unrelenting beasts and the players within it only see what's on their screens not whats behind them.

Bottom line is The Devil they do, the Devil they dont but there is of course a silver lining to your cloud... you have another option, and plenty of choice outside of SWTOR....

You exaggerate from the very beginning of your post. People were not whining because they were not getting new content every month. People were complaining because they had to wait half a year for new content.

And when it was out it was cut by the new warzone. I can see you are very understanding and compassionate towards people who make this game but I'm afraid the only thing they care about at his point is saving their asses by grabbing your money. There was a time when they cared about the quality of their product but unfortunately they made some bad decisions. they were pushed by their publisher, they had to keep up with the hype created by the marketing and they had to make promises they couldn't deliver etc. etc.

But at the end of the day players should see only what's on their screens, be happy about it and don't care about what's behind it. i certainly don't care about excuses you are presenting to me.

And yes I know there are different games out there which is irrelevant to this discussion.

Edited by vandana_

That's why you got 4-5 teams working at once, silly.

And if team finishes early? Oh no, they are holding back content to keep 6 week window! Devils, devils, I say!

And those teams are unlikely of size where they can do everything on time, alone. We've had few months of strvation when they were working on content to keep in reserve, allow them to finish it up in those 6 week intervals, but even this reserve is limited, probably for around year. Ideally, in that time game either bounces back and they can grow their teams, or stays as it is and they have to push events on us to keep deadlines.

This is ridiculous. Ancient Hypergates was NEVER slated to release with 1.4. It has always been set for release AFTER Terror from Beyond. Also, Ancient Hypergates was NOT completely playable at Gamescon, it was a test version with not all the objectives or mechanics available. Don't make stuff up just so you can post a thread on the front page.