Lord Tarnis, I NEED HELP!!!

Coloski

I was lvl 15 and had no problems, dont forget to use Force sweep and master strike whenever they are available. If you are still having problems try to let Kira leap in first and you second. You may have to use a medpac but after that you are fine

• 1 year later...
I am level 17 and he is nuking my butt every time, I've tried over a dozen times and nada. All skills trained, sending Kira in first (do I have something to heal her? Not that I can find). Watching the videos it seems that most characters cool downs are way faster than mine, so much so that I thought they were in fast motion. He is damaging my calm. At suggestions would be helpful. This is my first game but I've been working at it for months now, I keep becoming frustrated and start over with a new character. I WILL conquer this!!

Don't have appropriate video software at this time. Aai is a lvl 17 Guardian, strength 208, Endurance 204, Presence 106. Currently Health 2505, Armor Rating 1426, Damage Reduction 31.35, Defense Choice 5.00%

Gear:

Peacekeepers Headgear

Reinforced Battle Chestguard

Gamorrean Dense Gauntlets

Echani Dense Girdle

Jedi Knight's Leggings

Echani Riveted Boots

Hardened Terenthian Bracers

Was Sentinel's Lightsaber but bought the 14 Coruscant Commendation one (forget the name) just a while ago, haven't given it another go.

Going in with Kira, have tried working together with her, and with her going in first. If I send her first, at what point should I jump in, and with what? Should I try T-7? Also don't know the answer to how much HP for Tarnis.

Edited by CherieNB

Don't have appropriate video software at this time. Aai is a lvl 17 Guardian, strength 208, Endurance 204, Presence 106. Currently Health 2505, Armor Rating 1426, Damage Reduction 31.35, Defense Choice 5.00%

Gear:

Peacekeepers Headgear

Reinforced Battle Chestguard

Gamorrean Dense Gauntlets

Echani Dense Girdle

Jedi Knight's Leggings

Echani Riveted Boots

Hardened Terenthian Bracers

Was Sentinel's Lightsaber but bought the 14 Coruscant Commendation one (forget the name) just a while ago, haven't given it another go.

Going in with Kira, have tried working together with her, and with her going in first. If I send her first, at what point should I jump in, and with what? Should I try T-7? Also don't know the answer to how much HP for Tarnis.

if youre a guardian then kira. but depends on spec. are you tanking or dps? and try doing heroics for better gear. looks like to me thats the problem

200 End/Str seems slightly low for 17. I think I had in the 230 range, which does make a difference when fighting a boss like Tarnis. Get level 16-17 green Str/End items in all slots that you can from the GTN, and outfit Kira too in Wil/End items. If you've got orange modifiable weapons/armor (green for Kira), make sure you put in level 15-17 armoring, mod, and enhancement upgrades. Buy an Endurance stim from the stim vendor (+16?) and use it before the fight, it lasts 1 hr. Gear really makes a difference.

Your shield chance shouldn't be 5%. Make sure you have a shield (with Str) in your off-hand, not focus or generator. Shield. And turn on Soresu form.

if youre a guardian then kira. but depends on spec. are you tanking or dps? and try doing heroics for better gear. looks like to me thats the problem

Tanking, as far as I understand it. It does seem that I need better gear, will do heroics and see what I can pick up, and check GTN. And I'm up to twenty unsuccessful tries, now!

200 End/Str seems slightly low for 17. I think I had in the 230 range, which does make a difference when fighting a boss like Tarnis. Get level 16-17 green Str/End items in all slots that you can from the GTN, and outfit Kira too in Wil/End items. If you've got orange modifiable weapons/armor (green for Kira), make sure you put in level 15-17 armoring, mod, and enhancement upgrades. Buy an Endurance stim from the stim vendor (+16?) and use it before the fight, it lasts 1 hr. Gear really makes a difference.

Your shield chance shouldn't be 5%. Make sure you have a shield (with Str) in your off-hand, not focus or generator. Shield. And turn on Soresu form.

Newbie question, so sorry in advance - What shield? I'm not sure what that is - can you recommend a couple of things?

And proud to say that I figured out on my own that Soresu was the right choice!

Shield would be what you would equip in your offhand. Somewhat like a Focus, but not. Should be searchable on GTN, though I would have thought you'dve gotten one as a quest reward by now - but then again, I haven't rolled a knight yet. Edited by Stressfire

Shield would be what you would equip in your offhand. Somewhat like a Focus, but not. Should be searchable on GTN, though I would have thought you'dve gotten one as a quest reward by now - but then again, I haven't rolled a knight yet.

I didn't realize I have a "off" hand. I'll check it out.

I didn't realize I have a "off" hand. I'll check it out.

In soresu, a shield will grant you +15% shield chance...and give you 20% absorption rating...that will make your stats 20%/20% there and will make an ENORMOUS difference...just by itself.

In soresu, a shield will grant you +15% shield chance...and give you 20% absorption rating...that will make your stats 20%/20% there and will make an ENORMOUS difference...just by itself.

Would Saber Ward be a shield? It's the only thing that looks like a shield when I activate it.

I'd stay in the dps form, don't want the threat... and I'd stay with a focus... more pewpew per hit, better than a % chance of getting a small mitigation from the shield... and I don't want him hitting me anyway

what I do want, to taunt him, pop saber ward... let him switch back to Kira... hit my 20 minute cooldown, to get the healing, and saber ward reset... then I'll taunt him again, and saber ward again... the point is, the 20 minute cooldown requires an alive companion and it heals both of you...

sunderstrike him till he is 5x sundered, then start unloading big hits, masterstrike etc... eventually before Kira dies, if the big hits didn't get him facing you, then taunt, and pop medpack... keep Kira dpsing as long as possible.

get your matrix cube... it's nice endurance and strength available at 15.

He's got a shield on, otherwise his shield chance would be 0%, shield generator without soresu is 5% base shield chance, with soresu it goes to 20% base. And you got it when you picked your advance class, comes in the box you get when you do (sentinels get an off hand lightsaber).

I'd stay in the dps form, don't want the threat... and I'd stay with a focus... more pewpew per hit, better than a % chance of getting a small mitigation from the shield... and I don't want him hitting me anyway

what I do want, to taunt him, pop saber ward... let him switch back to Kira... hit my 20 minute cooldown, to get the healing, and saber ward reset... then I'll taunt him again, and saber ward again... the point is, the 20 minute cooldown requires an alive companion and it heals both of you...

sunderstrike him till he is 5x sundered, then start unloading big hits, masterstrike etc... eventually before Kira dies, if the big hits didn't get him facing you, then taunt, and pop medpack... keep Kira dpsing as long as possible.

get your matrix cube... it's nice endurance and strength available at 15.

If you are going to stay in DPS form, then you should take T7, since he's a tank and take the hits better than kira can at that level. Kira will go down pretty quick in hp if you don't keep aggro off her. Plus you can still play aggro swapping with T7 a lot better, since he has his own taunts. Generally speaking, once you taunt off Kira, you are 30% ahead of her aggro, and it can take awhile for her to get it back, depending on when you taunt and which of her skills are on cooldown.

actually Kira is already geared better than T7, and takes the hits as well, and gives the hits better... especially at the Op's level 16. She just got her gear, T7 is still in his Typhon gear.

I may be wrong, but the taunts aggro only lasts 6 seconds... either way, Kira usually gets the aggro back quick enough, at least till I start unloading...

I learned in WoW, dead dps does no dps... T7 or Kira dead generally means I'm soon to follow. Until I get Doc, I don't want aggro I can't get away from.

I don't remember having much trouble as a Sentinel when I fought Tarnis.

If you're going Shien, I'd let Kira go first while you dps on the side, then try to kill him before he kills you.

If you go Soresu, I'd immediately aggro, then pop your defensive skills to give Kira as much time as possible. Then if you get low, let Kira take the aggro and wait for him to kill her while you dps Tarnis.

Then again, I haven't played my Guardian in a while.

actually Kira is already geared better than T7, and takes the hits as well, and gives the hits better... especially at the Op's level 16. She just got her gear, T7 is still in his Typhon gear.

I may be wrong, but the taunts aggro only lasts 6 seconds... either way, Kira usually gets the aggro back quick enough, at least till I start unloading...

I learned in WoW, dead dps does no dps... T7 or Kira dead generally means I'm soon to follow. Until I get Doc, I don't want aggro I can't get away from.

You get gear for T7 from quest rewards on Coruscant. So he could be equally as geared as Kira, be heavy armor with shield generator. Also, taunt last 6 second but moves you up to 130% of the threat of the highest person on the aggro table. Let's give an example, not counting high threat moves, T7 in shield stance, you in DPS stance.

Say T7 has dealt out 400 damage in the fight, and you've done 1000 damage in the fight, his threat is 800, your threat is 1000, you have aggro.

T7 taunts, forcing an attack for 6 second but also moving him up the aggro table to 130% of the top threat, his threat is 1300, he has aggro.

So let's assume the damage ratio stays at 4/10. By the time you've done 1000 damage, he's done 400 damage, meaning his threat is now 2100, while your threat is 2000, he still has aggro.

The only way Kira can pull off you after you taunt, is if she outdamages you, that usually means either your gear is weaker than hers, or you stop attacking. Example

Kira does 1000 damage, you do 1000 damage (not likely given that players do more DPS than companions, but for argument's sake). Kira's threat is 1000, your threat is 1000 but she started the fight so she has aggro.

You taunt, now your threat is 1300. Now Kira has to do 300 more damage than you to pull aggro off you. But since she is DPSing about the same rate as you, she never can pull ahead unless you stop attacking (or have really weak DPS).

Aggro trading is far easier with T7 than with Kira, generally once Kira loses aggro, she'll never be able to pull it back unless you aren't hitting the target. T7 can also get aggro by taunting, and if you are DPS, he'll rarely lose it unless you taunt back. This makes aggro trading very much controlable tactic. In fact, it's one of the reasons I hardly ever used T7 after getting Kira as a tank/DPS hybrid while 2manning heroics and flashpoints. It was far easier for the healer to keep me healed than my companion, and T7 is a little bleeping aggro hog. Often times he'd taunt off me, start getting smoked by mobs, meanwhile my AOE taunt is on cool cause I just burned it 6s before he taunted..