SWTOR must be in Portuguese

Machine-Elf

lol, racism much? They all don't live in barrios and Favelas.

I think you underestimate the number of Spanish/Portuguese speaking players in this game.

And there's the stupid racism card. Get so sick of it. How is anytime an American says anything about another country in a way they take offensive we're automatically a bunch of racists, but other countries can talk smack about America all they want and we're just supposed to take it. Bunch of BS and it's getting really old.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And there's the stupid racism card. Get so sick of it. How is anytime an American says anything about another country in a way they take offensive we're automatically a bunch of racists, but other countries can talk smack about America all they want and we're just supposed to take it. Bunch of BS and it's getting really old.

Talking smack about countries you have virtually zero knowledge of, and even less direct direct experience with, should be frowned upon, whoever the culprit.

I'm a foreigner and I love America.

That said, bearing the brunt of the world's criticism is part and parcel of being its foremost superpower. Deal with it in stride, as the citizen of any Empire should.

Edited by Machine-Elf

Talking smack about countries you have virtually zero knowledge of, and even less direct direct experience with, should be frowned upon, whoever the culprit.

I'm a foreigner and I love America.

That said, bearing the brunt of the world's criticism is part and parcel of being its foremost superpower. Deal with it in stride, as the citizen of any Empire should.

We are a republic, not an empire, as our governing bodies are elected. What was that line about talking smack about countries one knows little to nothing about again?

There are 40+ million Spanish-speaking people in Spain alone.

Add Mexico, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguai, Chile and other numerous countries to the mix, and you've got a huge untapped market in your hands.

Same goes for Portuguese-speaking countries.

The only Portuguese speaking countries are Portugal, Brazil, East Timor, Angola and maybe parts of Mozambique

Yup healluva large market there :rolleyes:

We are a republic, not an empire, as our governing bodies are elected. What was that line about talking smack about countries one knows little to nothing about again?

Lol

You blanket every Spanish speaking country as being low income and not able to afford a 15$ subscription model, but then say you know nothing of Finnish or Portuguese speaking countries so you won't speak on them. How about you just don't speak on anything?

The USA is a republic in the technical sense of the functioning of it's government but throughout it's history it has loved behaving as an empire. (Manifest Destiny anyone?)

The only Portuguese speaking countries are Portugal, Brazil, East Timor, Angola and maybe parts of Mozambique

Brazil alone is larger than every other south american country put together, has a booming economy and a population of almost 200 million.

So yeah, it's quite a big market.

Se quiseres que eu escreva em Português, também posso. Mas já que estes foruns são direcionados para um público Inglês, nāo vejo qual seria o interesse...

And it's not a complaint, just something for BioWare to take into account once the game's reach begins to widen to a more...global level.

Haha. Estiveste bem sem dúvida. ;)

I sometimes wonder, do people even know that portuguese is ahead of french or russian for example, when it comes to one of the most spoken languages in the planet? Just saying. What a flawed thought to say the least.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

empire |ˈemˌpī(ə)r|

noun

1 an extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority, formerly esp. an emperor or empress:

empire (adj.)

[ in names ] : the Roman Empire.

• a large commercial organization owned or controlled by one person or group: her business empire grew.

• an extensive operation or sphere of activity controlled by one person or group: the kitchen had once been the ladies' empire.

• supreme political power over several countries when exercised by a single authority: he encouraged the Greeks in their dream of empire in Asia Minor.

• archaic absolute control over a person or group.

After doing a little research via Google, I've come to the position that if and when Bioware decides to add an additional language translation that it should actually be Portuguese as much of the information I found points to Brazil being the largest Latin-American market for Online Entertainment. So ultimately there is probably more merit to this thread than the one it spawned from. I'm sure Bioware is aware of that market info so ultimately it's their call. Still don't see it happening anytime soon though as they are obviously far more focused on improving upon current content and systems,

I sometimes wonder, do people even know that portuguese is ahead of french or russian for example, when it comes to one of the most spoken languages in the planet? Just saying. What a flawed thought to say the least.

Care to quote your source of said claimed "fact"?

Top 5 spoken languages in the world by population (native & secondary)

1) Mandarin

2) English

3) Spanish

4) Hindi

5) Arabic

Source: Ethnologue: Kryss Talaat's estimation technique. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers)

Going by that logic we should have Chinese as the next language for SWTOR to be translated to.

PS: About 20 odd years ago french used to be number 2 in the world. Interesting to note how it has fallen off the top 5 even though most of Africa is french speaking

Care to quote your source of said claimed "fact"?

Top 5 spoken languages in the world by population (native & secondary)

1) Mandarin

2) English

3) Spanish

4) Hindi

5) Arabic

I noticed you stopped short at

6) Portuguese

source: same as yours

Edited by Machine-Elf

empire |ˈemˌpī(ə)r|

noun

1 an extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority, formerly esp. an emperor or empress:

empire (adj.)

[ in names ] : the Roman Empire.

• a large commercial organization owned or controlled by one person or group: her business empire grew.

• an extensive operation or sphere of activity controlled by one person or group: the kitchen had once been the ladies' empire.

• supreme political power over several countries when exercised by a single authority: he encouraged the Greeks in their dream of empire in Asia Minor.

• archaic absolute control over a person or group.

USA doesn't fit any of those definitions in totality. There is no one person in our government with supreme power. Yes our President has veto power but that can be overruled by a super majority of congress. We have large commercial organizations in our country but that is not our government. We have no supreme power over other countries exercised by a single authority or otherwise, and the last bullet point again references absolute power which is again not the case in the USA. Not quite sure what the point of posting that was.

Edited by nshotsman

USA doesn't fit any of those definitions in totality. There is no one person in our government with supreme power. Yes our President has veto power but that can be overruled by a super majority of congress. We have large commercial organizations in our country but that is not out government. We have no supreme power over other countries exercised by a single authority or otherwise, and the bullet point again references absolute power which is again not the case in the USA. Not quite sure what the point of posting that was.

The very first bullet-point alone is as accurate a description of the United States as I've ever seen.

But the main point was to lay out how the terms "empire" and "republic" are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by Machine-Elf

There are 40+ million Spanish-speaking people in Spain alone.

Add Mexico, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguai, Chile and other numerous countries to the mix, and you've got a huge untapped market in your hands.

Same goes for Portuguese-speaking countries.

Yeah, but are those countries where you can expect a lot of subscribers? How big percentage of people in Mexico, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and the rest of Latin and South America have internet access? And how big percentage of those have the luxury of having enough extra money to subscribe?

One would assume that EA haven't yet thought that the cost of translating the game + advertising it over there would be covered by the income they could get from those regions.

Yeah, but are those countries where you can expect a lot of subscribers? How big percentage of people in Mexico, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and the rest of Latin and South America have internet access? And how big percentage of those have the luxury of having enough extra money to subscribe?

I suspect bigger than you'd think.

There's a reason why Carlos Slim, a Mexican, is (officially) the world's richest man. There's a reason why Telefonica, a company based in Spain and Latin America, is the fifth largest mobile network provider on earth.

Edited by Machine-Elf

The very first bullet-point alone is as accurate a description of the United States as I've ever seen.

But the main point was to lay out how the terms "empire" and "republic" are not mutually exclusive.

Care to tell me who in my country fits the definition of Supreme Authority?

supreme authority

Web definitions

arbiter: someone with the power to settle matters at will; "she was the final arbiter on all matters of fashion".

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

if not that first bullet can't apply, as I've already explained

Care to tell me who in my country fits the definition of Supreme Authority?

supreme authority

Web definitions

arbiter: someone with the power to settle matters at will; "she was the final arbiter on all matters of fashion".

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

if not that first bullet can't apply, as I've already explained

It doesn't have to be a "who", it can be a "what". A political structure, for instance.

It doesn't have to be a "who", it can be a "what". A political structure, for instance.

If you're going to interpret it that widely than EVERY country is an empire. If you think there is any body of our government that has the ability to make decisions at whim you don't understand our political structure at all. No branch of our government can do anything without the cooperation of the others. Both the Senate and House have to agree, then our President has to agree, and if he doesn't he sends it back to Congress, if they can muster enough votes to override his veto THEN it becomes law...but that's not necessarily the end because if we the people disagree and take it to the courts, the courts can rule the law unconstitutional and void it. I don't see how that is Supreme Authority. It takes forever to get anything accomplished.

Edited by nshotsman

I suspect bigger than you'd think.

There's a reason why Carlos Slim, a Mexican, is (officially) the world's richest man. There's a reason why Telefonica, a company based in Spain and Latin America, is the fifth largest mobile network provider on earth.

How much do mobile network tell, though? Is it used by computers that can handle SWTOR, or mobile phones which can't handle anything more advanced than Facebook? While there might be a lot with internet access, one could question how common it is to have a computer setup that would play SWTOR without crashing every third minute.

Hi, I'm a brazilian player, beta-tester and I pay my sub since launch.

What I can say about it? No, we don't need a translation to portuguese. Why?

1 - Some translations are terrible like "Force Lightning" will be "Raio de Força"... "Dark Infusion" - "Infusão obscura". No.

2 - Players. A lot of kids 12~16 yr old will play the game, and you guys know what kids do in a game, being realist. This is a natural selection. I know sometimes adults can be worse than a kid,

3 - Learn english, have classes, talk with other people, learn another language. I did and everybody can do, don't be lazy. English is way easier to learn than portuguese or spanish.

4 - Time spend to do it, they can do 2 new operations instead.

I'm talking about portuguese language and I speak spanish too, I prefer the game as it is.

If you're going to interpret it that widely than EVERY country is an empire. If you think there is any body of our government that has the ability to make decisions at whim you don't understand our political structure at all. No branch of our government can do anything without the cooperation of the others. Both the Senate and House have to agree, then our President has to agree, and if he doesn't he sends it back to Congress, if they can muster enough votes to override his veto THEN it becomes law...

You've just successfully described, albeit unknowingly, the Roman Empire.