Display Name Only Log In-Facepalm

gamorrean

How is this helping account security, our login name will then be displayed on all forum posts...unless you have us choose forums names or the forums name displays will be the same as in game names.

However if this is not the case and we having our names share our forums name and login entry.

FACEPALM!

worse security not better.

almost seems like an attempt to force people not to post,

Edited by gamorrean

How is this helping account security, our login name will then be displayed on all forum posts...unless you have us choose forums names or the forums name displays will be the same as in game names.

However if this is not the case and we having our names share our forums name and login entry.

FACEPALM!

I was wondering the same thing, it compromises security it does not enhance it.

My profession involves quite a lot of user and data security work and one of the fundamentals is to keep password and username/login as confidential as possible.

The email address I use as an account logon for SWTOR is used for absolutely nothing else, but the display name is on every forum post.

I'm unable to understand the logic behind this change.

FACEPALM!

/Facepalm at your FACEPALM

------------------------> http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5955636&postcount=98 right up in the stickied post about this topic at the top of the forum. Read it, embrace it. ;)

No need for a personal thread when there are two others, including an official one that have been active all day long. ;)

Edited by Andryah

I'm unable to understand the logic behind this change.

They are removing email addresses from the login because it is more properly used for account anthentication NOT for login authentication. There is a difference and it is relevant.

More details to come from the security manager whose thread I linked right above this one.

Most people think it's an April Fools joke.

Bioware does one every year. The date that this is going live is April 2nd. And, of course, on April 1st they will say April Fools, and boom, it never happens.

you do understand that you can currently log in using either your forum (ie: account) handle or email address attached to the account, right? Don't believe me, go try it. So no, it's not an April fools joke. Read the dev post I linked.

you do understand that you can currently log in using either your forum (ie: account) handle or email address attached to the account, right? Don't believe me, go try it. So no, it's not an April fools joke. Read the dev post I linked.

I know you can :p

But that doesn't mean it's not an April Fools joke.... Just because you can log in using either your Email or your Account Name doesn't mean they can't joke about switching it to just your account name.

And yes, I saw the dev posts. He said it wasn't an April Fools joke... but he could be joking.... I mean if it was an April Fools joke, why would he say: "Yeah, you caught us, it is!" Doesn't make sense. ;)

But I'm not the one you should be convincing, I personally don't think it's an April Fools joke, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. :p

Most people think it's an April Fools joke.

Bioware does one every year. The date that this is going live is April 2nd. And, of course, on April 1st they will say April Fools, and boom, it never happens.

BW has an april fools joke almost every month -.-

I know you can :p

But that doesn't mean it's not an April Fools joke.... Just because you can log in using either your Email or your Account Name doesn't mean they can't joke about switching it to just your account name.

And yes, I saw the dev posts. He said it wasn't an April Fools joke... but he could be joking.... I mean if it was an April Fools joke, why would he say: "Yeah, you caught us, it is!" Doesn't make sense. ;)

But I'm not the one you should be convincing, I personally don't think it's an April Fools joke, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. :p

LOL... fair enough then. :)

• Dev Post

Hey there folks. There's a lively discussion going on in the Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013 thread. Therefore, we are going to close this to consolidate discussion.

We invite you add your comments and read what others have said by visiting the main thread. There you'll find responses to many questions and concerns from our Head of Security, Phillip Holmes.