The Rock Talks Star Wars

Selorian

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Portman was great in the films, Hayden should never have been chosen. It wasnt that he didnt play the part of a spoiled brat, he played the part of a spoiled brat while showing almost 0 acting skill at all. His emotions werent believeable and the motivation written into the script left him no room to be believeable in either ep 2 or 3.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic about Natalie. Sure Natalie did well in Ep. I, but her acting went south as the movies progressed. "Anakin, your breaking my heart!" That was the worst delivery I've seen in many years. She just could not come off as sincere. Hayden was just as dry. The "love" scenes were just so poorly done by both actors that I can only guess that it was either the writing or directing that was to blame. Having seen both actors outside the series, they are good to decent actors. Not the horrible actors I saw in the prequels.

George isn't known for great directing or great dialogue. (Prime example, the exchange between Vader and Obi-wan before they fight on the Death Star. Whoo... just plain corny). One reason why ESB is considered by many to be the best of the series, George didn't direct it. Irvin Kershner did, and Leigh Bracket and Lawrence Kasdan did the screenplay. George's vision is best done when he is only peripherally involved, kind of like Stan Lee.

Natalie Portman is a great actress as any of you seen black swan at all?

The prequels were full of top notch actors, even hayden isnt realy a bad actor, i just think some roles werent very well thought and written.

Anakin being the most blatant case. I found mace windu a bit weird too. Padmé at times with horrible lines as well.

I have no doubt the most sucessfull characters in the prequels seems to be Obi wan and sidious.

Other than that, i seen christopher lee as well samuel lee jackson doing much better.

Rock ain't playing around about this. He wants it.

The go-to man in Hollywood for reigniting franchises, G.I. Joe: Retaliation star Dwayne Johnson says that there's a certain film series he would love to be a part of and it just so happens to be set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

"'Star Wars,'" Johnson smiles. "And that’s not to say that they need it. Obviously they’re doing very well. J.J. [Abrams] is just gonna crush it. I’m so excited. There’s a guy, by the way, who’s not just a brilliant director, but who honors and respects mythology. You’ve seen that with 'Star Trek' and you’re going to see that with 'Star Wars.' I’m very excited about that."

I really do wish him the best of luck on this. If it happened, it will be interesting to see what role they find for him.

Article is HERE.

Call me crazy, but I think that Hayden Christiensen played the role that he was supposed to very well. Anakin was a self-entitled teenager who seemed to get a bit pissy when things weren't right.

Hayden was not only a good actor in the prequels, but he injected as much emotion as he was allowed by George. Looking at a lot of the behind the scenes stuff and interviews with the cast/crew, you really have to arrive at the conclusion that the script and directing left Hayden with no real room to act. He did amazing work with the fight sequences, though. Nick Gillard has said that Ewan and Hayden were both naturals at swordsmanship, and I think that their dedication and great physicality lent a ton to the films.

It was very disappointing to see the way Anakin was written, though. The original trilogy led us to believe that Anakin was a great Jedi knight who was seduced by the dark side and its false promises. The prequels just showed us a temperamental, murderous, arrogant, self-entitled warrior who never really bought into the Jedi ethos at all.

The prequels made Natalie Portman look not so good. Can't judge Hayden's ability. It is funny that there isn't a 5-min interval in all of the movies where I didn't wish the "main character" would die.

Hamill was good in RotJ, not at first but by the end he was doing quite well. My favorite sequence out of all the films is either the attack on the Death Star or the final confrontation with the Emperor. Hamill manages to embody a noble Jedi better than Anakin ever came across as.

Ewan stole the show in the prequels, I think more effort should have been made to clearly paint Obi-Wan as the main character. A friend and I recently sat down over dinner and wrote out revised treatments of the prequels just to see if there was a way to mesh together all the existing Clone Wars canon, the vision that the original films led us to expect, and the perspective that a lot of the EU developed. The one thing we immediately zeroed in on was that the plot of Phantom could easily have been merged with AotC, allowing the middle film to focus entirely on the Clone Wars and for Obi-Wan to be presented as the main character throughout, and develop his relationship with Anakin much better over the course of the trilogy.

While he was good in Fast and the Furious, I don't know how well he will fit in with the Star Wars universe. What kind of role will he play? What type of character will he be? These are the first questions that pop into my head :<. He's definitely not the first choice I would have for a Star Wars movie...

Helena Bonham Carter on the other hand...

She would fit a character like Asajj Ventress quite well, or even Mara Jade. (I don't know if she'll be "Mara Jade Skywalker" because Lucas never liked the idea of Luke marrying... we'll see how that turns out).

Hayden was not only a good actor in the prequels, but he injected as much emotion as he was allowed by George. Looking at a lot of the behind the scenes stuff and interviews with the cast/crew, you really have to arrive at the conclusion that the script and directing left Hayden with no real room to act. He did amazing work with the fight sequences, though. Nick Gillard has said that Ewan and Hayden were both naturals at swordsmanship, and I think that their dedication and great physicality lent a ton to the films.
A much needed breath of fresh air, this is.:csw_yoda: Edited by Beniboybling

I don't think the Rocks acting is horribe, he's come a long way since the Scorpian King, but he is obviously no thespian.

But still what he lacks in acting he tends to make up for in charisma and presence.

I think with good direction and a "supporting" role appropriate for him he could bring a lot of energy to a non-force weilding action oriented character.

I agree with whats been said I don't think he could do a bounty hunter or trooper role any harm.

Edited by Hardwear

While he was good in Fast and the Furious, I don't know how well he will fit in with the Star Wars universe. What kind of role will he play? What type of character will he be? These are the first questions that pop into my head :<. He's definitely not the first choice I would have for a Star Wars movie...

I've said before, Mandalore. Being the main non-Force using bad guy would be great. Even a flip-flopping bad guy/good guy. Kind of like how Hondo is in TCW or Bester in B5. Although being a true anti-hero is probably beyond his acting ability.

(For those who don't think that wrestlers aren't at least decent actors, must also think that WWE matches are real.)

BTW, I like Helena, but she is so overused I would rather not...

Edited by Thylbanus

lol i actually i can't see him being a jedi or sith a mandolorian or trooper sure but i just can't picture him as a jedi/sith

For me the first thing that comes to mind is Trooper as well - of course that could very well have to do with him starring in Doom, where he basically played one. :cool:

Not to mention all of his roles as a bad*ss cop.

Edited by Callaron

Hayden did a fine job, considering he was supposed to portray a moody, irrational child. That's the way the part was written for him and he delivered.

But anyway, The Rock could only work as a Mandalorian I'm afraid. Hell I could even see a lineage from the Fetts happening, he looks like he could be Temuera Morrison's cousin. My only requirement is that he not smile. His smile is a little to cheesy for Star Wars...

But honestly, I would be TOTALLY fine with him not being the movie at all. I would want the best person for the character.

Samuel L. Jackson made quite the Jedi, I think it might be rather hilarious to see Dwayne Johnson as a Jedi or something of that nature. Just for the laughs, assuming he can downplay his presence to not be out of proportion to the role he's playing.

• 1 month later...
Just saw Pain and Gain. He was quite good in this movie and was probably his best acting yet. I am fully convinced that he could pull off a character of some sort in this universe.