Why can't the player play as a Gray Jedi/Sith

GavinPatterson

Why not? I mean we can - but relic's later on are something that we miss out on. Some objects such as weapons depend on a certain force alignment. I usually end up playing right between the lightside and darkside, and suffer for it.

Any plans to bring this into the game?

Just something to read if your interested and would like to know more.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gray_Jedi

Why exactly should you be rewarded for not making a clear moral choice?

Yep.

Gray has many shades to it..... whereas force users are all about making clear choices and giving Allegiances. It's been clear since Luke met Yoda that when pursuing force training... a point comes where you must make a choice in the force.

So Gray force user is an oxymoron IMO.

That said.. setting aside the lore context.... it's a game... so there should be bending of the lore to please some of the diversity desires of the players.

Considering that in game there are some Dark Side choices that seem more right than their Light Side equivalent (ie. Breaking a minor law to stop a Senator from propagating his Empire agenda), I'd agree. They need to bend the rules to fit the game, not the films.

BTW, if you really look at his actions, Luke can be described as a Gray Jedi. Solo is definitely a Gray Smuggler. And even Obi Wan did some things that might be considered Dark (using the Jedi mind trick willy nilly seems to be frowned upon in-game) if they were in this game. So, the concept is not without precedent, even in the films.

:cool:

Edited by Blackavaar

Why exactly should you be rewarded for not making a clear moral choice?

Items that require a Light Side / Dark Side Zero and have a level requirement so that lower levels can't use it. Voila!

What's the problem with that?

:cool:

Edited by Blackavaar

Gray Jedi are non-canon? Ummm... they are definitely KotOR canon.

How to implement them in the game? Uhhh... why can't we accrue light side and dark side points and just have item requirements like (Lightside III, Darkside IV, etc.).

Not the most difficult thing in the world to have implement IMO and quite frankly having to artificially be a jerk or a goodie two shoes just for "points" so I can get X gear is a major turnoff.

Really very little excuse for a KotOR game not to have this incorporated at launch and the irritating thing is that this was a conscious design decision. Not particularly time intensive.

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

Gray Jedi are non-canon? Ummm... they are definitely KotOR canon.

How to implement them in the game? Uhhh... why can't we accrue light side and dark side points and just have item requirements like (Lightside III, Darkside IV, etc.).

Not the most difficult thing in the world to have implement IMO and quite frankly having to artificially be a jerk or a goodie two shoes just for "points" so I can get X gear is a major turnoff.

Really very little excuse for a KotOR game not to have this incorporated at launch and the irritating thing is that this was a conscious design decision. Not particularly time intensive.

- Arcada

Umm....huh?

First of all, there are items already with DS/LS requirements throughout the leveling process, unless you are trying to say something totally different than what I read into this.

Secondly, absolutely none of those items are game influencing in any way, shape or form. There is ZERO need to make any DS/LS choices in game other than what you wish your character to do, at least as far as capability goes. There's a couple of fluff items once you geet to certain levels on each side but, if you are worried about the 'need' to make choices against your 'character' because you want to buy a mini-pet, then clearly character isn't really that important after all.

The entire good/evil light/dark dichotomy is a mess. And demanding that players play into it makes it even worse.

In my opinion, morality should never have a point system and always be full of gray areas. And Force shades should never be directly tied to morality.

I feel that deeper, darker emotions are necessary for somebody to truly understand empathy and compassion. If a Jedi never feels the pain of loss and despair, and all the emotions that come with it, they lose sight of what they're fighting for.

This.

Why not? I mean we can - but relic's later on are something that we miss out on. Some objects such as weapons depend on a certain force alignment. I usually end up playing right between the lightside and darkside, and suffer for it.

All the relics / weapons that are tied to alignment are worthless, you can craft better stuff..... not to mention the stuff that drops in HM Flashpoints / Operations are superior also.... So yes you can play as a grey Jedi.... Even the Bike you buy at the alignment vendor can be had on Voss with no alignment requirements... Given it's not white or black like the alignment speeders are but it's the same model just brownish...

Pretty old swtor question. You wouldve missed it if you werent on forums back in Dec of last yr but yeah people asked and asked back then. Folks were disappointed that if you dont go mostly one way or the other you miss out on items. As you can see nothings changed since then. Cant say it wont but if 11 or so months isnt enough time then. Well i dunno.

Even though i just got back after quitting in jan, its interesting to see the same questions and concerns that were brought up a little after launch back again. Its just that now the discussions are a whole lot lighter because of the lack of subscribers.

Pretty old swtor question. You wouldve missed it if you werent on forums back in Dec of last yr but yeah people asked and asked back then. Folks were disappointed that if you dont go mostly one way or the other you miss out on items. As you can see nothings changed since then. Cant say it wont but if 11 or so months isnt enough time then. Well i dunno.

Even though i just got back after quitting in jan, its interesting to see the same questions and concerns that were brought up a little after launch back again. Its just that now the discussions are a whole lot lighter because of the lack of subscribers.

No, it's a dead horse that some people are still beating because they haven't joined the rest of us who got to 50 and realized it's a non-issue.

The items that have a light/dark restriction are never that good, so it's not really a punishment to anyone (except people who refuse to rip out mods).