Idea to stop the QQ about class balance (and possibly get something done)

dbears

Apologies in advance if someone has already mentioned this. Just an idea I had to finally solve once and for all if classes are really as balanced as Bioware says they are.

PvP Balancing:

Have the Devs duel each other in a best of 3 1v1 match against each of the other 7 advanced classes. Nothing fancy, just out in the middle of no where 1v1's and keep track of who wins. They could even record the fights for the community to watch.

Or organize another vote where the community picks a class representative from each advanced class to duel the Devs.

PvE Balancing:

Set up a training dummy with however much health and let the Devs defeat it two or three times. Record the TTK and the DPS and compare it to all of the other advanced classes. Plain and simple.

Or again, let the community vote for representatives and have them do it.

To the Devs:

I love the game and will continue to play it regardless of class balance.

The community has been very outspoken on this issue for so long and there has been next to no communication from you guys saying what's to come. The best thing we have now is that there won't likely be a huge class balancing until the next expansion and there will be some more minor tweaks coming in 2.6.

Give us a bone to chew on. Let us know what you have in the works so the community can talk about it before it gets released and you have some feedback BEFORE it goes live and everyone starts complaining about it. There's no reason to be so secretive about future class balancing. New Operations/Warzones/Content, yes, I can understand that, but not class balancing.

Thanks

While it is nice to see that there are still people how wants to limit the "qq" rather than add to it, I think it'll be rather a "fool's errand" to attempt to stop it. People will properly always find ways to complain about everything and nothing, when there's a mass-media outlet usable under the guise of anonymity.

Anyways, towards your proposed solutions, I'd say that I truely doubt that such would provide more class balance, if any:

In PvP, it's inarguably annoying to be "outwitted/outclassed" by another player in a 1 v 1, but those doesn't really happen that often, do they? In fact, there isn't really a pvp-mode in the game currently, where you would have to engage in 1 v 1's regulary to win the match. They seem to be more a spurious and random coincidence for any other than steathers trying to cap nodes with a single defender? If the game were balanced around this part of PvP, what about the rest then? Other than making all classes "bland" with an entirely comparable skill-set, how would you balance a tank versus healer, a ranged versus a melee class, balance a "leap" abillity versus a "speed-increase" abillity, "stealth-users" versus" non-stealth-users" etc? As it is now these would present themselves as "situational advantages" with varying degree of usability, depending on, well, the situation. As an example: Balancing around 1 v 1 would require all classes to either have stealth or something to counter stealth-users, as stealth is truely an "alpha-abillity" in a 1 v 1. The value of having the abillity to decide when and how the encounter starts, cannot be underplayed. However in a team-situation the advantage of stealth-use would rely on your abillity to decieve the oppositioning team, to make them leave nodes un- or under-guarded, so you can cap and gain your team an advantage. While the abillity to start a 1 v 1 with the upper-hand, and possibly "rofl-stomp" your opponent might provide a certain personal satisfaction, it's rarely terribly useful for your team, as a whole, unless the situation makes it so. To sum up: Unless SwTor PvP gets a mode, where 1 v 1's are commonplace, balancing around this would not provide any balance, unless you make all classes "bland".

For your PvE solution, it's rather simple: Such would never be sufficient as a balancing tool, simply due to the variance in output due to the complexity of the "math behind the dps". Even with hundreds and thousands of parses to minimise the RNG-factor in the output, you'd still be left with questions of "input/lag-stabillity", "skill-cap", "variance in skill-tree choices" and a whole lot of other issues regarding the different "conditions" that the player base plays the game under. To make a long story short, you'd need to balance the classes around performances achieved "live", in the game as is, rather than an isolated and artificial testing ground, to get any sort of reliable statistics of how balanced the classes are in PvE (even though the artificial are most likely utillized aswell). Which, I'm sure, they already have several matrices running to gather such data. The trick is, of course, that when tweaking any variable, what happens is rather hard to predict, even with solid statistical data of what was before.

Anyways, I've rambled on too long

Now, after arena has been released, skills and abilities shoud be differenced in pve-abilities and pvp-abilities.

Without that, a useful balancing is not possible.

In the course of patch 2.5, OP-classes become more op. Can't understand!

This is true. Ground pvp should go the way of Space pvp and make a separate tree which would improve different abilities and would only work on pvp.