Grouping: ur doin' it wrong

Heezdedjim

There is no problem with grouping as it is. There is plenty of content that encourages grouping and there are plenty of Load Screen tips that tell you how. Players will find a group or they won't, that's all there is to it. There is no fix that needs to be made specific to grouping (repair costs are not group specific and do need looking into).

:cool:

I was hoping this thread would be about Assassins/Shadows who use their Force Pushback in groups, making all group AoEs useless.

:mad:

That is annoying and if I happen upon a PUG where someone is doing that I will ask them politely to stop once. If it continues I will boot them from the group. I always lead my groups, so I can do that.

That is annoying and if I happen upon a PUG where someone is doing that I will ask them politely to stop once. If it continues I will boot them from the group. I always lead my groups, so I can do that.

Some people just get too used to their solo ability-use rotation, I suppose. I give warning twice, politely. I'm usually not group leader, unless with guildies. Usually its when I PUG, responding to people asking for help. After I ask twice, I just ditch the group and let the offender deal with the fallout. And I try to be clear, its nothing personal, I just can't keep reviving people every 2 minutes.

Then there's the players that get offended when you ask them to stop doing that. Those are my favourites.

And, appearantly, repair cost are going to be lowered again, saw an announcement about it:

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your feedback on the changes to repair costs introduced with Game Update 1.7. Upon review, we agree with you that repair costs did become too high with this latest Game Update. To that end, we will be making a change to how these repair costs are calculated, starting with our next scheduled maintenance. Repair costs will now be calculated based on the combined value of all the mods installed in the shell, excluding the value of the shell itself. Players will see a noticeable reduction immediately after the change goes in.

Additionally, we’d like to apologize for the inconvenience that we introduced.

As a thank you for your patience during this time, we will also be reducing ALL repair costs by 50% once the aforementioned change goes in with the next scheduled maintenance. This will last all the way through until early access to Rise of the Hutt Cartel launches.

Your feedback is important to us, and we hope that this resolution alleviates the repair costs concerns. Thanks again for your patience.

So, there's some good news. At least they are listening to something from their players, and are trying to make amends.

Of course, many will still be unhappy, anyway, lol. :rolleyes:

Edited by CaptRavenous

ah, you are one of them old school people.

MMO, contrary to what you seem to believe is NOT forced group content. MMO is a persistent world where grouping with a lot of different people is possible and can be fun. which SWTOR actually accomplishes. and encourages, in contrast to quite a few other MMO's on a market, who are successful in their own right but a lot more solo extensive. even old school MMO's the ones that used to require you to group for much of the content, or be unable to progress - have abandoned that model as its not sustainable.

Thank you. I keep saying this and the people do not understand me.

I also think in a MMO, I should be able to log in and..

NOT have to solo because I cannot find someone. That is a lie, I see plenty of people who can join me because only in a dead game would I be truly alone. It is just hard in this game to get in contact with them because of this clunky planet system. In FF11, I can log in and find people who are doing the same quests or whatever. We group up then we move on. In the time I played COH, everyone would put up messages in thier search system, so I can look for specific classes, levels and read your personal message. In Champions, I never needed a guild at all. I can literally stand there and find people for NEMCON. The people were ready and willing. In DFO, you go to a specific server for specific areas, so everyone in your server will be in your level range and doing the same quests.

SWTOR has features to get people to group more often. All of the stories are CO-OP, social points gives you rewards, and Heroics gives gear and comms. It is not the companions and the story; I think no one wants to play at another person's pace anymore.

For anyone who has leveled up toons from 1-50 with another person, they know it is not repair costs and XP.

Every MMO before WoW was group-oriented. That was when the industry was thriving and exploding in popularity. Now it's contracting and dying, with most new releases fairing anywhere from fair to terrible.

The facts speak for themself. The industry can't sell subscriptions anymore for the games they are making. If the product is so good, and this is what people want, why can't they attract anywhere close to the numbers EQ had 15 years ago, even when giving it away for free?

actually, funny thing is - industry was languishing in near obscurity and barely showing any growth untill WoW came along and allowed more kinds of people to actually play MMO's. and then MMO market started to truly expand and explode

new games that are released might not have WoW numbers, but it doesn't mean they failed. but the drawback of what WoW did was to create expectations that are a bit unrealistic.

just because more and more games are adopting different payment models doesn't mean MMO market is failing. its merely changing. face it - people don't like being bared from content, just because they logged in at a wrong time. the more content you bar them from, the less likely they are to stay around.

It is not the companions and the story; I think no one wants to play at another person's pace anymore.

For anyone who has leveled up toons from 1-50 with another person, they know it is not repair costs and XP.

this I definitely agree with. for me at least, consistently playing at someone else's pace is exhausting. but it IS fun in smaller doses which is why I tend to level characters with other people here and there, and very much enjoy grouping for heroics.

another interesting thing. personally, when I just started playing SWTOR - I grouped more in a first month, then I did in a year of WoW. i didn't have to. I chose to. because it was fun. because I was encouraged.

as a contrast, when I tried guild wars 2 - I have grouped exactly once, with a friend of mine who showed me around Lyon's Arch and helped me get some of the vistas. I didn't group once while leveling. never had to, never was encouraged to. granted I didn't make it to high enough level to try their dungeon crawl, but leveling in guild wars was the loneliest experience I've ever had in an MMO.

anyways, back to original topic. they really should equalize group rewards somehow.

and to diversion into knockback skills /growl. it makes it soooo much fun to tank to. I have just gathered and position the mobs just right and there they come knocking them out of my range and of course its MY fault that I'm losing threat, and never mind that thanks to your so very "helpful" knockback, half the mobs are not even in range of my damn group taunt.

/deep breath.

Edited by Jeweledleah