How long does it take to download SWTOR?

ThatsSoDark

I just got SWTOR and a brand new laptop for Christmas. Because I've been busy I started to download the game onto my laptop at about 3:00 p.m. yesterday. It is now 10:00 a.m. and the game is not done downloading - it's on the English Assets 1 right now.

The computer is BRAND new, and has barely been touched. It's a HP laptop as well. Is this normal for it to take this long? Should I be worried? My mom is kind of concerned about it, but I can't download the game on my other computers because they are slow and old.

Edited by ThatsSoDark

If it is possible do you own the disks? That would help greatly otherwise depending on your ISP and a few other items it could be a long time or a short time. I know on one of my computers it took 4 hours at home. On another it took 12 so it all depends.

If it is possible do you own the disks? That would help greatly otherwise depending on your ISP and a few other items it could be a long time or a short time. I know on one of my computers it took 4 hours at home. On another it took 12 so it all depends.

Having a 2,5 year old PC and a shiny new laptop with up to date hardware. On both everything downloads with nearly 10 mb/sec. Steam games, usenet, downloads from sites. Everything. Except for SW TOR. Pretty sure it's not my ISP or my computers.

It's not the fault of the SWTOR servers. My old "desktop" machine downloaded the game at over 3.5MB/s (over 25mb/s) over my wired connection. My somewhat less old laptop downloaded at over 2.5MB/s (over 20mb/s) over my WiFi connection.

And at those speeds, it didn't take terribly long. There was a bit of a wait, since the full download was something over 20GB (over a year ago). But patches download in just seconds. Installing the patches after they're downloaded takes far longer than downloading them. But it's still not very long.

Edited by Adric_the_Red

maybe it sounds stupid but hitting the pause button once in a while(in the launcher next to the progress bar) seems to reset something and the dowload speed peaks again at max say around 3,5 - 4,5 Mb/s. but its defenetly the swtor server that narrows everything down.

its not how it is supposed to be but it helped a bit.

hi my name is mike i av the rite disks n it is takin 4ever when its on 92% installin . how long shud it take

When I hear people say it took them 3 or 4 hours to download I wonder how many months ago it was that they downloaded it. Since the initial game was released there have been several large updates and many other patches. You have to download that all at once, while others have been able to get small bits here and there. I installed about 3 months ago and it took in excess of 12 hours.

As with all other large downloads you have to take into account what time of day/what day you're downloading on due to other high traffic potentially downloading at the same time. If you download on a Wednesday at 2 a.m. I would assume it would be much faster than Saturday at 5 p.m.

No need for your mom to be concerned, tell her to take a valium and go back to her 50 Shades of Grey.

When I hear people say it took them 3 or 4 hours to download I wonder how many months ago it was that they downloaded it.

Twice in the last 3 weeks. Both were done in under 2 hours.

I'm in the UK, and the downloads were done in peak times (around 5pm after work).

If you are experiencing slow speeds, its not necessarily you or the server - if there is some network shaping going on between you and it, that will affect it - I don't know enough about the US's internet backbone to comment definitively, but I expect a full network trace will show some bottleneck somewhere that is neither you or Bioware.

Edited by Dhamploc

• 8 months later...
Im on a relatively old dell inspiron. Took me about 5-6 hours and i dont have great wifi but it not bad either.

Necro alert.

That being said, most of the information in this thread is outdated. BioWare went to a new streaming technology called "BitRaider" in July to download and update the game. Good News: You only need about 1/3 of the game to download to play. Bad News: Each patch takes about 3 times longer to download. Multiple other MMO's in including Marvel Heroes have tried using BitRaider; most including Marvel Heroes have switched back due to the bad download speed.

I'm with him on this. It was taking my fast internet connection forever to download the game so I just decided that even though the game was free to just buy the disks and use them to install the base (unpatched) version. This took like 30 minutes and then it only took me like an hour to download the most up to date launcher and patches.

im in APAC and quite sure that it is SWTOR too.

i was looking for games to play and downloaded a 6GB client for another game from NA servers in under 45min.

ironically i couldnt play this korean game due to ipblocking so i gave swtor a try (yes that was back when they had APAC servers)

i downloaded SWTOR and the smaller download took a day or more at an estimated average of 600 kb/s. Patching the game is even slower.

its highly discouraging for newer players. i tried to talk two friends to take a peek ...

some of them would certainly have done that if not for the horrendous DL time...i think either the patcher needs some love or bw is saving on the wrong end here