What exactly is an RP Server?

DGenerateKane

I've never played an MMO before the Thanksgiving beta so a lot of the terms are unknown to me. Obviously RP stands for Role Play but what exactly does that mean? I read the description in the new player guide but it didn't really help. Can MMO veterans give specific examples of what people do on an RP server that they might not on a regular one?

Simple answer. A heavy role player will play the game as if they are inside the game themselves. A non role player will play the game as if it's any other console game not necessarily caring about keeping in character.

As to the differences between the servers, the only real difference is their designation. The RP tag was placed on some servers to give Role Players an easier time of finding others interested in role playing, Bioware has said they will not be enforcing a separate set of rules for RP servers though.

In a general sense, it means you're your character when playing; not yourself. It's about how you interact with other people on the server.

So if someone asks you a question, you'd tell them what your character thinks not what you think.

For example, someone shouts, "I am a mighty Sith Warrior! I enjoy cutting up small animals!"

Normally you might explain why that's a horrible thing and they're a bad person. But on an RP server you might answer "I am a mighty Sith too and I will eat the animals you kill"

Naturally, everyone varies. Some people take it really seriously and only speak as their character. Others are happier to "break character" and be themselves, and admit it's all a game.

Another example comes to mind. Someone casually says "I love use the force". On a normal server someone will say "You're not, it's just a game. Loser"

On an RP server you'd say "The force shall free me!"

Does that answer your question?

I will say that generally RP servers tend to have a more grown-up atmosphere. It takes a certain kind of person to want to play that way.

Role players play the game as though they are the character they create. This not only includes game choices, but also interaction with other players. For example, if I were to roleplay a Jedi Consular and another Jedi approaches me, I will greet them, speak with them of the disturbances in the force, and say 'May the force be with you' when I depart. If I were to be approached by a trooper, I would speak of the politics currently going on between the empire and the republic and ask if there was any way in which I could aid him. When I depart, I would say 'Farewell', since troopers are not studious in the force.

If I were to be approached by a smuggler, depending on my personality, I am likely to interact with him in a number of ways. If I am amused by his antics, I may play along. If I am serious, I may just ignore him.

Depending on the server type, rp can be in a variety of places such as gen chat, the cantinas, and sometimes even flashpoints and heroics. It is a heavy part of the server and you should only select it if you have every intention of rping. Else, you will feel very excluded.

That being said, if you come to my server and actively admit you don't rp, you have no intention to, and/or you say roleplayers are just a bunch of nerds, I will block you and I'm sure I am not the only one.

Also on a RP server, generally, there isn't any OOC talking, (Out Of Character) so global chat shouldn't have any RL issues going on, like how to rebuild a engine or why SLI is better than Cross-fire etc etc.

Another I have noticed about RP servers is you get alot less people playing toons with off-the-wall names: Example - (Sloppyjoe, Beef-curtains, Vagisauras. etc etc

Where can I find this bar? I'm in the mood for Sith bar wenches.

I know not of any "bars" but there will be a cantina in the starting zones that you will stumble across at some point.

Edited by liamf

RP servers are really pretty fun. I don't know of any RP servers on any game that gets caught up in thees and thous, or in this case "When 900 years old you are, look as good you will not." But you get the idea. Play your toon, not your self. Have in game discussions and try to stay in character. There are limits of course, but do your best and no one will fault you.

Alright thanks. I'll probably stick to a normal server since I plan on playing it mostly solo. Yeah yeah I realize it pretty much defeats the purpose of an MMO.

You can always RP as one that keeps things to himself, and doesnt interact much with others ;)

in find the Rp servers more friendly than normal servers, all though some of those elitist RPers can be not so fun.

I'm not a big RPer but it's fun too do :)

Actual roleplaying is pretty much like acting, giving your character a personality, set of goals, etc. Granted the extent people take it to tends to vary, and yes, there will always be ERP.(As much as there will always be japanese tentacle ****.) Contrary to the increasingly(or perhaps even decreasingly OHO) belief that all roleplayers are sexual deviants, furrys, or stuck up *********s is not entirely correct, though admittedly there are cases in which that is true.

Well, I don't plan on roleplaying on here, myself, but I'll probably pick one of the servers if only that I don't see that many Chuck Norris' variations running around.

Edited by Zaeren