The Mandoa

Shiela

To answer, no I don't think Mandoa culture is agreeable.

Aside from Traviss' mary-suing of the Mandalorians, they exist in a state of permenant war and preparedness for war. It's been shown before that if they don't have a good enough Mandalore or conflict to unite behind, they scatter to individual clans.

Furthermore, their state of permenant aggressiveness has never really endeared them to the Republic at large. Most viewed the Mandalorians like early europeans viewed the Vikings. You tried your best to appease them or **** of the way of the war du jor.

The problem I see is that Mandalorian culture has no way to really exist properly in times of peace. They're supposed to die in glorious or honorable combat. That leads to insanely high rates of attrition as Mandos aren't known for retreating, no matter how suicidal the odds are.

The problem I see is that Mandalorian culture has no way to really exist properly in times of peace. They're supposed to die in glorious or honorable combat. That leads to insanely high rates of attrition as Mandos aren't known for retreating, no matter how suicidal the odds are.

Well I guess they must have forgotten during the mandalorian wars, cause they surrendered.

Well I guess they must have forgotten during the mandalorian wars, cause they surrendered.

It's not like they are a bunch of god-men who aren't willing to back down no matter what. Everyone has a point where they know they are beaten, for some, it's just a little beyond death. The fact that the Mandalorians aren't all dead by this point is a testament to the fact that they have some survival instinct.

It's not like they are a bunch of god-men who aren't willing to back down no matter what. Everyone has a point where they know they are beaten, for some, it's just a little beyond death. The fact that the Mandalorians aren't all dead by this point is a testament to the fact that they have some survival instinct.

I know that, was just merely responding to Wolf's part about them never retreating n such. :p

You know that mandalore was a pupet of the sith empire all along. They were meant to probe and weaken the republic.

Yes. The Jedi order was wiped out after the Mandolorian wars. Revan, Malak, the Exile, and other Jedi defeated the Mandolorians at Malachor V.

As far as Mandolorians. They are fierce warriors. No doubt.

• 1 year later...

There are some inherent challenges in discussing Mandalorian culture, both internally in regards to the various eras of Mandalorian culture and the varying individual Mando'ade themselves to external variations in the Mandalorian story arcs arising from the past few years of ret-conning within the expanded Star Wars universe.

From my understanding, you are likely to run across at least two main camps amongst the Mando'ade aficionados: Those who hew to whatever the current Star Wars canon is stated as (including the newer, pacifist Mandao'ade government), and a splinter group who favor the Mando'ade as portrayed in the Karen Traviss novels and other related works that have now, apparently, fallen out of canon.

I will admit that I personally prefer the presentation of the Mando'ade in the Traviss books, but acknowledge that participation in the canonic Star Wars universe (games, books, movies) means I must at least tacitly accept recent changes brought about by the Clone Wars TV series.

Aside from those issues, given as the Mando'ade tend to be a fiercely independent people up until their pacification, I think even their adherence to cultural norms was highly individualized. Even after the pacification of the Mando'ade, you still had the Death Watch who were off preserving (by their own interpretation) older customs in defiance of their fellow Mando'ade.

Pre-pacification, what could be considered the core of Mando'ade culture? Perhaps the most succinct answer can be found in the Resol'nare - the six tenets of Mando'ade culture:

1) The wearing armor, later to specifically be the beskar'gam armor that became iconic in appearance;

2) Speaking the language - that is, Mando'ade;

3) Defending yourself and your family - family not only including blood relations but also in-laws and adoptees;

4) Raising your children as Mando'ade;

5) Contributing to the clan's welfare; and,

6) When called upon by the Mand'alor - the "sole leader/ruler" - rising to and serving his or her cause.

As far as doctrinal cultural values go, these are hardly inherently malign nor evil. In fact, perhaps excepting for tenet 6, most of these are admirable in their aspirations. It is because, I would theorize, of tenet 6 that the Mando'ade culture and people was at times so easily turned to brutal if not wholly evil and corrupt purposes. If you can turn the Mand'alor to your purpose, so follows the Mando'ade. This was a strategy used well by the Sith Empire.

From their temporary alliance with the Sith, a whole series of related events can be seen to unfold. The Republic, of course, would defend itself against Mando'ade aggression. In turn, the Mando'ade would defend themselves against the counterattacks of the Republic forces, and thus is set in motion a grimly repeating cycle of war and retribution.

During such times, though, it is not unheard of for individual clans and Mando'ade to break away to do their own thing. While the authority of the Mand'alor is penultimate, maintaining said authority is a little less certain. Within Mando'ade culture the authority of the Mand'alor can be legitimately challenged by one with big enough gettse to think they can take the title of Mand'alor for themselves. Of course, legitimacy of said challenge only comes with success, and not even then will all Mando'ade necessarily submit willingly or immediately to the new Mand'alor.

Do I agree with the Mando'ade culture? I appreciate it for what it is, and I find nearly all of its core tenets very admirable and desirable (especially 3, 4, and 5). It is perhaps only unfortunate how at times said culture was manipulated into some truly disastrous and even occasionally despicable acts.

Taung > Any other Mando imo. :p I like THEIR culture, just not anyone else doing it.

OK, what do you like about the Taung era of Mando'ade culture? In what ways do you feel it is better than the other eras of Mando'ade culture?

I'm not saying your opinion is invalid; I just would like to hear more about why you prefer the Taung Mando'ade culture over any other eras of Mando'ade culture.

OK, what do you like about the Taung era of Mando'ade culture? In what ways do you feel it is better than the other eras of Mando'ade culture?

I'm not saying your opinion is invalid; I just would like to hear more about why you prefer the Taung Mando'ade culture over any other eras of Mando'ade culture.

They are just more unique to me, it's what made the Taung unique. They had their own little thing, but then humans and other species came about and I just felt it kinda lessoned that a little. Plus the Taung appearance are just way more cooler than a regular human or other species. They were a unique species, with their own unique outlook on the galaxy, with their own customs, traditions and so on so forth.

Every other that come after the Taung, I just don't get the same vibe from them. They are pretty much just following what the Taung did sure, but for me it just doesn't seem the same to me at all. Which is why I prefer the Taung era over the others.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

They are just more unique to me, it's what made the Taung unique. They had their own little thing, but then humans and other species came about and I just felt it kinda lessoned that a little. Plus the Taung appearance are just way more cooler than a regular human or other species. They were a unique species, with their own unique outlook on the galaxy, with their own customs, traditions and so on so forth.

I think I understand what you are saying: You enjoy the appearance of the Taung and perhaps also their origins on Coruscant where they battled their fellow Coruscanti (though, eventually losing out in the end). Certainly, their appearance was distinctive, and they had a proud tradition of being a warrior culture.

That said, it was the Taung themselves who opened their culture up to other species, first to the Mandallians and then to other species after that. So, even during the Taung era of Mando'ade, there was a shift initiated by the Taung to share their culture with others.

I honestly would say this is one of the more admirable traits of Taung-originated Mando'ade culture, that of multi-species inclusion. It is certainly a step up from wars of enslavement and genocide, perhaps most notably first waged against the Zhell and later against the Nevoota, Fenelar, Kuarans, Tlönians, and the Basiliskans. While the early Taung value of martial strength both individually and as a culture is alluring, I cannot say that I place merit or value upon genocide. I certainly hope you are not suggesting that it is 'cooler' to be genocidal.

Every other that come after the Taung, I just don't get the same vibe from them. They are pretty much just following what the Taung did sure, but for me it just doesn't seem the same to me at all. Which is why I prefer the Taung era over the others.

I am not going to try and argue that you cannot like the Taung era of Mando'ade culture more than the other eras. To each their own, yes? I guess in the end I really just hope to have been able to have a good discussion about the Mando'ade and have provided you some food for thought. Hopefully that has been the case.

Mando'ade darasuum!

You know that mandalore was a pupet of the sith empire all along. They were meant to probe and weaken the republic.

Yea but that's more of a retcon that was added when swtor came out. But I guess canon is canon. I still like think of KOTOR and Swtor as seperate universes though and ignore most of the retcons lol.

I always liked how Ordo's Mandalorians were protrayed in KotOR 2 on Dxun. I haven't played the game in a while, but I remember that they were very concerned with honor. Honorable victory or honorable defeat, no middle ground. It made for a sort of Klingon-Bushido conglomeration that I found interesting.

Yea but that's more of a retcon that was added when swtor came out. But I guess canon is canon. I still like think of KOTOR and Swtor as seperate universes though and ignore most of the retcons lol.

It's more of a clarification than retcon.

Canderous tells you, in KoTOR, that the Sith are the ones who prompted the Mandalorians into what became the Mandalorian Wars.

Retcon would be if the Sith had never been involved in any form with the Mandalorians in the time between the fall of Mandalore the Indomitable, and siding with the Sith Empire with two consecutive Mandalores during the war that precedes this game.