The BEST class story line

banehammer

Question: Is there a really huge difference between imperial agent and bounty hunter? I'm playing an Imperial agent right now, and thinking about rolling out another character for some variety. Should I go with bounty hunter or smuggler? (I already have a Sith Inquisitor up to teen, so I pretty much know how the Sith story line looks like).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a Trooper I have to say that Act 1 was great. Chasing down the anti-Havoc squad was awesome. Act 2 also had great moments with lots of action and it felt like I was building up to the epic ME2 style suicide mission at the end.

Act 3 however was the biggest let down. The main villain we have to go after is barely introduced at the end of act 2 and we never get to really meet him or see what he's done. Then we go off to Belsavis to rescue some pilots who never show up again and then off to Voss to convince someone to give some troops up. The bomb we spend all of act 1 worrying about turns up again for a split second and is barely given a second thought. Finally Corellia has just a big run around do nothing fest before we finally meeting this big bad guy who barely had an impact in the trooper story line at all. Kilran from the flashpoints seemed like a better enemy than Rakton.

Over all the trooper story had it all going for it before crashing and burning at the last minute. Act 3 just felt like didn't finish or didn't belong with the other 2 acts. While the feeling of being trooper is right there the whole time the ending is so underwhelming.

On a side note Bioware y u do that to Jaxo :jawa_mad:

IF the story of the IA was made into a movie I would pay 100$ to watch it and I would watch it 2 or 3 times. It is THAT good; to me it is that good anyways ... a bit of advice though. If you plan on playing the IA for the story do everything you can to avoid spoilers because it has several shock moments that really add to the dept of the story. I am nearing the end of ACT III (CH. 3) and I have been 100% involved within the story since level 1.

i'm the opposite on the BH story i guess. it's been actually pretty dull. All the planets so far after DK are just one bounty a planet and it takes forever and nothing really happens. There really isn't a story of any kind so far other than the fact that tarro blood is messing with you, which he even kinda stops or slows down on that after awhile and you spending long amounts of time going after the great hunt bounties which require you to do alot of stupid stuff to get to them. BH and smuggler so far seem to be the most dull stories. With bounty hunter i'm sitting here going "when the heck is something actually going to happen?"

Sith warrior is interesting, IA looks good. Consular i'm on the fence about so far.

Consular storyline is good, but it is marred by the character of the consular himself.

My main problem with this is that the storyline is the same for my dark side jedi shadow character as it is for a light side healing sage.

The story feels like it was written specifically for a light-side healing sage (at least in Act 1), and I feel totally disconnected from the story as a dark-side shadow. The two ACs are so different that they should be separate classes with their own stories.

*Minor Spoiler*

A lot of the story so far is about healing other jedi from a mysterious plague. If I had some sort of healing spell on my shadow, I might feel a bit different about the quests, but since I don't this story line just seems very unnatural to me. I was hoping to be stealthily investigating and/or tracking down sith agents/warriors. Anyway, if you roll a consular just for the story alone, I'd pick a light-side sage as the advanced class....it just seems to fit much better.

My main is a smuggler and the story line is alright. The best part about the smuggler is the dialogue and male voice acting though. It makes up for the anticlimactic end of Act 1 (due to game mechanics). I'm enjoying Act 2 much more though.

For Republic (which I have 4 classes at least above 20, I'd say the stories from best to worst go....

Jedi Knight

Trooper

Smuggler

Consular

There's just an epicness about the jedi knight story that you can't get in the other classes. The trooper though is a refreshing alternative. It doesn't feel very Star Wars at first, and it's a nice break from the other classes. Also, I really like climbing the military ladder and getting military ranks as my titles every now and then.

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO, the Consular has the best story but is flawed by the order of which you obtain the companions. Theran is a blast to have around (thanks to Holiday's outbursts) but if you roll as a Sage, he is pointless to have. Nadia was a really cool companion but you don't get her until lvl 42ish. Her entire romance (if you go that route with her) can be completely finished by the time you leave Voss. Great story but bad companion mechanics.

The Knight story I felt started off really strong and enjoying with Kira bringing in some good times. I however soon got bored in Act 2 and thus made my Consular character. I will eventually go back to it since it's my tank but I really feel like it lost some steam after Act 1.

Rolling a light side Sith Warrior atm and it sure does feel good to back talk to Baras :D

Check out my review of the game over here at 1up.

Edited by bryceman

i have played deep into SW (finished), IA, BH, Trooper so far and by far the best story i have seen is the Sith Warrior

why? because **** gets real, and it hits the fan, and you really REALLY see how rage can affect a motivated and powerful Sith Lord (you)

that is not to say that i dont like the others, because I do. heck my favorite companion over all of them is Mako, unfortunately I want to punch Aric Jorgen in his cat head, but thats another story, my IA feels like James Bond, just a female Chiss version of it, my Trooper deals with some pretty heavy morailty choices which i can honestly say are sometimes difficult

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

To have done the Sith inquisitor and the Jedi Knight quests, the Jedi Knight is the best of the two.

I have been pretty disappointed by the Sith Inquisitor ( assassin), the quests are ok until you reach level 31-32, then it become real ****. It looks like the scriptwriter didnt know what to do after the first climax.

And lets say , that it even dont look sith enough to me, its not a pure evil quest, you are surrounded by friendly companion, you dont even finish the job sometimes (aka kill someone for good, i wont spoil here but this is a big flaw).

On the other hand , the Jedi Knight deliver what you may expect, you a Obiwan kenobi wanabee, you on your way to save the universe, it rocks, ! and the soundtrack is way better on the republic side than the sith . hearing the force them , thats damn good !

I like the Imperial Agent story line. I like how it has intrigue and is very much like a Star Wars version of James Bond, but also a lot like Splinter Cell.

The Sith may run the Empire, but it's Imperial Intelligence that works the delicate stuff and does the biggest (though quietest) jobs in the war against the Republic.

I've played all classes (well, my friend played Agent but on my account).

This is how I would rank it so far.

1. Inquisitor (lvl 28)

2. Smuggler (lvl 12)

3. Jedi Knight (lvl 11)

4. Trooper (lvl 11)

5. Bounty Hunter (lvl 15)

6. Sith Warrior (lvl 24)

7. Jedi Consular (lvl 18)

8. Agent (lvl 4) (I didn't really play it. I just killed a few enemies)

• 2 weeks later...

BH (lvl 50) - Great and interesting story, haven't finished companion quests. The freedom to not really roll light or dark side (as mentioned earlier), but going my own neutral way just makes the story more enjoyable. Act 1 was alright, Act 2 was very involving and fun, Act 3 was a bit slow and not really epic.

JC (lvl 19) - Just felt kinda boring, going after artifact after artifact... sigh. I may give this a 2nd try since there are a few fans on this board.

SW (lvl 38 - current) So far okay, I'm a Vader fan and going along as such. Just picked up Jaesa so its been a little bit more interesting.

SM- (lvl 14 - alt) Act I is very promising, I can't believe my **** got stolen from the get go. Great hook to pull someone into a story and chase a thief!

After I finish my SW, I will definitely roll an IA since so many people voted on it as best story! Thanks for the thread and input!

All of my classes are across the entire level range so I'm not going to list them, but some thoughts:

The Smuggler and Bounty Hunter are both much more...personal stories. Or maybe I should say interpersonal - they're more about the interactions of your character with the people they meet, rather than the external events that happen involving the character. Yes, things happen to both of them that they need to react to, and some of them are grand and entertaining, but for the most part you need to provide your characters' motivation to do things within the game. Why is your character a Bounty Hunter or a Smuggler? What led them down that path, and how would they rationalize or justify their actions? The companions for both of these classes as well seem to be a much more pivotal part of the experience as well, as there's definitely a much stronger feeling of putting together a rag-tag crew to take on whatever comes. To enjoy these stories requires that you be willing to get into your character a little bit, rather than just sit back and enjoy the story that's being told, because for a large part of the stories there's little framework.

With the Force-wielding classes, it's much more about huge external forces that the characters react to. Mostly due to the hierarchical nature of the Jedi and Sith, but also because they're at the forefront of the war between the Empire and the Republic. External events happen to these characters or involve them, and they get caught up and have to react. These are the grand, sweeping stories that everyone thinks of when they think of Star Wars, and they're the ones most directly tied into the overall storyline of the game. This may also be why the Consular story seems lacking to some - a lot of the time it's much more mellow and is about bridging the gaps between people (which is what a consular actually would do).

The IA and the Trooper are somewhere in-between. They deal with society and the world that the non-Force classes are so separate from, but they each do it in their own field. The Agent plays spy and other than a handful of Force users that come briefly into the story, their plotline revolves almost entirely around regular people. The same applies for the Trooper as well - they deal with the military and show the perspective of what it's like to be a soldier on the front lines and directly involved in the conflict. Sometimes the story falls flat, but you'd be surprised how often that happens to actual troops in war. They can have tremendous amounts of downtime where they just have to do something for the sake of doing it just so someone higher-up is satisfied. Granted, the Trooper is special forces, so that cuts down on some of this, but the general principle I think applies.

In my opinion I've enjoyed the IA storyline the most. When I first heard the rumors of BioWare working on a Star Wars MMO, I was excited at the prospect of playing a "regular guy" - someone who had to live in a place where crazy people with incredible powers perpetually fought each other over a philosophical disagreement, and in doing so dragged an entire galaxy to murder and chaos in the process. The IA has a very interesting take on that idea, and Act 3 revolves entirely around that concept. Acts 1 and 2 are set up to make you think about how you view the two Force-using sides, and for me personally I realized that being anyone other than a Jedi or a Sith - even the lowliest one - must be absolutely miserable. I lucked out and got a story that explored exactly the topic that I wanted to, and because of that the IA story will remain my favorite until whatever expansion comes out that continues the plot.

• 11 months later...
The problem with the trooper is it's so unoriginal. I seriously don't think there's a story in there that's even slightly original. Not to mention, the dialogue for light side is pretty lame. Though to be fair, the act endings are worth it, it's overall still really fun.

Jedi Knight easily has the most epic story, as well as the most important story to the Star Wars universe. He accomplishes the biggest things. Thing about it is that it's not super original, although it's not typical either.

Sith Warrior is really, REALLY entertaining, light or dark you're in for some fun. It also has a very engaging story (not quite as much for act II but it's still a good act).

Imperial Agent easily has what someone like a writer would consider the "best" story. But it's important to keep in mind that it's all subjective.

From a purely objective standpoint, I'd have to say that Imperial agent has the "best" (I speculate this is because the Imperial Agent isn't directly based off of any Star Wars character, they had to make you feel like Darth Vader in SW story, or Luke Skywalker in Jedi Knight, Han solo in Smuggler etc. The Imperial agent you just had to be like a spy, which gave them a lot more room to do a good story, but that really is just a guess) while Jedi Knight has the most rewarding, and the biggest sense of "wow, this is epic" but that's just me.

In case you didn't know, the Jedi Knight kills the voice, not the emperor.

IMO.....

The Agent Story is the best followed by BH and Sith Warrior...

I hated the Jedi Knight one, the story was cheesy and over the top.... Consular story was just boring, I know some people liked it but for me it was very boring.... Smuggler had its ups and downs, some parts were really good other parts were kind of lame, but you gotta love the Smugglers responses in the story...

I'm only half way through the trooper story and it's ok, like others have said it's kind of a typical story and predictable... I haven't tried the Inquisitor story yet....

Well, my favourite is the Imperial Agent. Smart, in a constant struggle but shifting fronts, never knowing who you're fighting with and ultimately making the player character change, questioning themselves and what they stand for all the time. Some elements were somewhat predictable, but even then it surprises you with intelligent dialogues, other elements surprised me altogether.

My least favourite is the Jedi Knight so far. Dump, too straightforward at the greatest glory, the greatest victory, driving evil to extreme and oneself being the good guy. Characters polarized to the excess, no reflection at all... The only nice aspects about it is certain characters among your companions who are involved in it and I really like.

Edited by Rabenschwinge