Hybrid builds in general for a noob

Alefiend

So I'm a relative newbie to SWTOR (two months playtime, one 55, one 40, and an abandoned 17), and I have almost no MMO experience outside of this game. As such, I've been relying on the Web for build advice. The thing is, I don't want to follow somebody else's template—especially because the two I've done so far have been essentially single-tree builds, and that seems limiting.

My question is: Can true hybrids (skills up to the middle of two or three trees) be as successful and playable as the more linear specs? What's the most important thing when freestyling a build?

Yes, I know this is a huge can of worms I've opened, since I've looked at a number of the threads that turn up when I search "hybrid." Let me clarify what I'm looking for:

• I have zero interest in PvP. I'll be doing PvE, FP, and Ops only.
  • I am aware that PvE is much more forgiving than other parts of the game.
  • I am a subscriber, so I can respec if I have to—I just don't want to spend all my time experimenting if it's pointless.
  • By "successful" I mean can contribute to high-level groups and not be a leech or dead weight.
  • By "playable" I mean does not require three hands to manage all the skills. I want fun, not exhaustion.

I plan to do a playthrough with every class on both sides, and possibly every advanced class. Right now, I'll be content with one of each "type." I've done a Guardian to 55, and have a Sniper at 40, so now I need a Consular/Inquisitor and a Trooper/BH to round me out.

Lastly, I have no idea how to handle a healer spec. I know it's a vital role, but I haven't yet wrapped my mind around how I can have fun skeeting kolto around while my companions or group members do all the fighting. I am willing to learn.

Thank you.

---------

Alefiend

No signature yet

I'm trying to think of dps hybrids that would work well, I can think of the following:

combat/focus

Engineering/Lethality

Vigilance/focus

As far as bad hybriding I can think of the following:

Assault/Gunnery (takes different cylinders to access lower level skills on the trees)

Assault/Tactics

Marksman/anything else (I can't see how you can survive without sniper volley--you need the extra followthrough)

tank/dps (you must dislike your healers)

dps/heals (unless you're running a 16 man and you're 5th heals)

Hybriding that I'm skeptical of (but still can be convinced):

Telekinetics/Balance (I hear really good things but it strikes that the rotation would be unwieldy)

Watchman/anything else

Hybrids are purely for fun. As mentioned by others, some classes make for better hybrids than others.

However, take note that hybrids are by nature "Jack of all Trades, Master of None" with regards to their specific class roles...

Edited by Roxas_kun

Yes, I know this is a huge can of worms I've opened, since I've looked at a number of the threads that turn up when I search "hybrid." Let me clarify what I'm looking for:

• By "successful" I mean can contribute to high-level groups and not be a leech or dead weight.
  • By "playable" I mean does not require three hands to manage all the skills. I want fun, not exhaustion.

Already these two categories disqualifies any hybrid spec in question. "Linear" specs as you call them will have skills points that will either further power up certain aspect of your class (i.e DoT, Burst Damage, mobility etc. etc.) or make resource management much easier as you level up. Thus, makes a certain spec very streamlined and efficient at what they are supposed to do; or as you put it "Does not require three hands to play".

Don't get fooled by DPS parses that some of the people are posting on forums regarding hybrid spec because a) they are hitting static dummies that don't fight back, b) Don't have to compensate for other mechanics or mistakes caused by other players in your group.

If you are truly serious about the qualifiers you have listed you will find that any hybrid spec will never fulfill your wish if you take a closer look at your skill trees. The only instance I will allow someone to advocate for hybrids are in PVP (even then I am doubtful) or some very gimmick instances in Ops or FPs, but those are very few and far in between.

Hybrid builds are possible, depending on class. I have a sage, shadow, and smuggler. Hybrids in healer classes are possible DPS/Heals, in tank classes Tank/DPS. In the healing classes, it reduces your heal output. In the tank classes it reduces mitigation or self heals in exchange for DPS (debatable loss of aggro). As for crazy kb bindings, most of the hybrids builds I use have a simpler rotation, by buffing spams. I do t have a pure DPS class so I can't give you an opinion there.

hybrids for fun?

who remember the days when you could madness\lightning hybrid having sick Lightning barrage with affliction damage and insta force lightning with the all might Wrath\Chain lightning proc?

they murdered my beloved build which I leveled my sorcerer with... could do so much dps with so little effort :X

Well basically most of your questions have been answered. So I'll just stick to your last one.

About healing. In my opinion it's a mindset. I mean either you like it, or you hate it. Same goes for tanking.

Personally, I love playing the healer. Sure you don't get do much damage as a healer. But... without you the other people won't be doing much damage either.

I've tried tanking in several MMO's. It's not my cup of tea, so I don't play a tank class. Just created a low level Jedi Guardian, but she goes DPS. Just like my Shadow does.

In other words... If you don't think healing people is fun. Then don't do it :)

hybrids for fun?

who remember the days when you could madness\lightning hybrid having sick Lightning barrage with affliction damage and insta force lightning with the all might Wrath\Chain lightning proc?

they murdered my beloved build which I leveled my sorcerer with... could do so much dps with so little effort :X

What you mean murdered? Lightning barrage glitch is gone and with it a lot of the little "oomph" the sorcerer dps had, but I believe the hybrid lightning/madness is still feasible. In fact it is the build I would prefer to use in PVE dps. (I have a sorcerer but I prefer my marauder these days)

Edited by Karkais

About healing. In my opinion it's a mindset. I mean either you like it, or you hate it. Same goes for tanking. ... In other words... If you don't think healing people is fun. Then don't do it :)

I don't know if I like it or not. My only experience in multiplayer healing was the old space sim/strategy hybrid game Allegiance, where the key to keeping bombers and capital ships alive was sending a bunch of scouts to repair them with the nanite gun. There was no single player component, so nanny trains were basically taking one for the team.

It's different with SWTOR, because there's a lot of SP content to enjoy/get through. I simply don't understand how to progress through the story without being an active combatant. I also haven't tried, but I'm wary of the investment of time.

I just realized that the Reply function doesn't let me see the other posts in this thread, so it looks like I might be multi-responding tonight. :rolleyes:

As far as bad hybriding I can think of the following:

Assault/Tactics

Last I checked Vanguard Assault/Tactics hybrid did well above the DPS the individual trees did. There are two actually. One where you rely on Pulse Cannon 60% damage proc, free stock strike and High Impact Bolt; then the other you go into the tank tree for bonus damage, Tactics for bleeding ability then all the way up assault for bonus crit damage. Very glass though.

As a tank or healer in PvE hybrid doesn't work. You might be able to pull it off pretty well as a PvE DPS or in PvP as a tank or healer though.

Lastly, I have no idea how to handle a healer spec. I know it's a vital role, but I haven't yet wrapped my mind around how I can have fun skeeting kolto around while my companions or group members do all the fighting. I am willing to learn.

It's basically the same as other classes, except instead of shooting or casting skills at the mobs you're shooting or casting skills at your team. The only difference is the health bars move backwards and the names above your targets are green instead of red.

Edited by Lachryphage

• 2 weeks later...
What you mean murdered? Lightning barrage glitch is gone and with it a lot of the little "oomph" the sorcerer dps had, but I believe the hybrid lightning/madness is still feasible. In fact it is the build I would prefer to use in PVE dps. (I have a sorcerer but I prefer my marauder these days)

Lightning/Madness is still relevant and alot of fun.

I also favor Arsenal/Pyro hybrid on my merc. mainly because I like to spam rail shot and unload

• 2 months later...

I know this is a few months old and hope you have a good grip on where your toons going; but I completely disagree with this statement.

As a tank or healer in PvE hybrid doesn't work. You might be able to pull it off pretty well as a PvE DPS or in PvP as a tank or healer though.

The reason is simple (for a healer); I have built a sage seer/balance hybrid and have planned out the skill progression to lvl 55 using mr robot (can link skills if you want to see to comment on) and on paper, he just rocks. So far, I've been able to do nice damage and be a great 2nd healer.

Now, I want to qualify what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a toon that can introduce me to healing, while still playing in my play style. All I know is that I ran through Athiss this past weekend and was CCing 3 of the 4 adds, so I could pick them off. Healing the tank when he was out of range of the healer. Healing the healer when she was low on HP or healing the others in the group and was able to heal myself after everyone else fell on the last battle and finish off the final dude (4 - 5 k HP remaining on him) solo. So what I'm seeing from my level 28 Sage contradicts what you stated.

I agree with the hybrid Vanguard DPS version. I have found that I do more damage and take out more mobs and elites with the dual DPS tree Vanguard.

I also agree with the concept of Healing and Tanking. If it's in your blood, you'll enjoy it; if not, then don't bother. I enjoy tanking and DPS, but am new to heals. I created an operative and absolutely hated because it wasn't my idea of a sniper. However, since then I have created a sage and BH and am enjoying the heals/dps side of things.

It's ok to want to attack and do damage, just make sure you have enough energy left to heal the people who need it, when they need it.