To taunt bads or not to taunt bads?

Grimmjon

You can't click abilities while typing. It will cancel the chat bar. Also, you can chat when waiting for respawn, guarding a door/node, or once you've lost :p

Yeah, I know. :p They were rhetorical questions, I was pulling the OP's leg. I mean I only ask because he was 'tops on the damage board' so obviously he didn't die nor was he off node guarding. Had to keep that deeeps up after all. I was just surprised that he could not only do that but find the time to flame his team at the same time. Impressive.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Constructive criticism, e.g. "This is how you throw the Huttball" is all well and good, and yes, some people will get offended even by constructive criticism because they can't stand hearing anything but ego-boosting compliments about how good they were doing, even if completely untrue, but just cursing someone out or calling them names isn't constructive criticism.

In pre-30 PvP the other day, my sage was getting cursed out and told things like "Burn in hell" and "Die, [expletive for female dog]" even when pulling top healing numbers. Even when at the same time getting killed 15 times in one match because I was one of only two people making any effort at all to actually score, while the rest just chased the imperial ball carrier around and failed to stop it because the imperials just kept passing over their heads. (Yes, I realize grabbing the ball from mid when there are 5 imperials around and no one on my team isn't likely to do much good, but at least the time they spend killing me is time not spent scoring, and it highlights the flaw in the tactics of the people who aren't around to help because they're all clustered around our goal. And I actually got very close to being able to pass to our endzone stealther a couple times, just couldn't stay alive quite long enough.)

Anyway, with my own teammates telling my to burn in hell, die, calling my curse words and other names, even when I was pulling top numbers on the healing charts on my lowbie two-heal sage (3 if you count force armor), I switched sides to my 1-heal operative, and, while I can't say I continued to top the healing charts or got many MVP votes, the imperials were at least polite and appreciative that I was doing the best I could to heal them with my 1 heal. And in Huttball, we actually had more than 2 people trying to score. A couple of the imperials thought maybe that morning's 'pubs hated me because the ones in question all expected me to be their own personal pocket healer, rather than spreading the heals out and actually paying attention to objectives too.

People who complain about bad players are usually the source themselves. It's particularly funny when the guys complaining don't even put up good leaderboards numbers. Yes putting up good leadeboards don't necessarily mean you're good, but it's alwyas amusing to see someone fail to break 100K in any category and wasn't solo defending tell you about his intangible contribution, or rather invisible contribution.

Agree.

9 times out of 10 the taunter is garbage as well, many times even worse. Once I see a tirade start in a WZ its straight to my ignore list.

People who complain about bad players are usually the source themselves. It's particularly funny when the guys complaining don't even put up good leaderboards numbers. Yes putting up good leadeboards don't necessarily mean you're good, but it's alwyas amusing to see someone fail to break 100K in any category and wasn't solo defending tell you about his intangible contribution, or rather invisible contribution.

Agreed lol

When someone starts name-calling others (no matter if it's me, someone else or the whole team they are mocking), I actually wonder why should I even try to win this thing? Loosing will annoy that jerk much more. Yeah, I know, it's mean to the rest of the team, but I really feel that actually playing is like I'd try to please that idiot.

This is troll thread if I understand correctly... ?

Meh, I'd give the benefit of the doubt that perhaps he was in a few brutal WZ's in a row and just needed to vent.

So possibly a troll thread but could have been just frustrated as well. It happens.

You were in the right. Bads actually respond better to taunting, they are not like educated men of reason such as you and I. You cannot talk about things like tactics and keybindings without expecting to get anything but blank stares and gallons of drool from the bads. The only way to make these beasts productive is to insult them, watch them become enraged, and then point them in the direction of the enemy. Is it optimal? No. But it is the best we can do with these sub-humans.

lmao.........

Allow me to taunt some of the players responding here, including the OP, I think:

In regards to 'leaderboard' assessment by some of you,

There are very few things on the leaderboards that actually reflect what one SHOULD be doing in the PvP scenarios. I am pretty certain that the "dude" with the highest Damage Done, the most noticeable stat on the leaderboard, is NOT doing what he/she SHOULD be doing in a match. EVEN if that person is DPS. Killing is seldom an actual goal in the PvP scenarios given in this game (Only in Ancient Hypergate). In many cases, killing is a waste of time, and in some cases, detrimental to the goal of winning the match. (Huttball - geting killed is a speedpass to a defensive position.)

While I actually love most of the PvP scenarios the game has to offer, I hate the way Bioware has decided to reward silly things like damage and kills.

So those of you who think you're ultimate duuuuudes at PvP because you have highest damege/kills/(even healing n some cases) - Lurn2play. Distinguish the GOAL from the "things you get credit for."

I often get called a baddie, even though at t he end ive got the most medals and most dmg.

i dont think anyone likes me to be fair, keep to myself

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here we go again!!!!!!!!!! The most damage and medal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Just as a sidenote. There is this trend in saying that players with top dps or just big dps aren't worth much, because it's objective game etc. That's of course true, but, sadly, when your opponents are defending well, have their offnode well guarded too, and you have 50k dps'es in your team - good luck with your offense. I, as a healer, would really like to see more players in my team doing 1mln dmg and crushing enemies in mid than trying to tactically win a game, cause it's my team who's getting crushed.

"There is no death. There is the Force." - common saying by Jedis when they're about to die.

"There is no leaderboard. There is the Objective." - common saying by guys who can't do dps/healing.

It is much harder to crush the leaderboards while somehow not doing anything useful than the other way around. Every WZ generally still involves taking an objective some way, and it is awfully hard to take an objective without killing anybody in all but the weakest opposition. I can count on one hand the number of times I lost a node while I was still alive in all my games. The only map you can potentially get away with that is Huttball, but even there you usually want to be able to kill the opposing ball carrier unless your strategy is just to brute force heal your way to score and hope your guys grab the ball before they do on reset.

yesterday for the first time i tryed to play a dps spec..first time ever.

1st with 300k damage, 160k heals 14 medals...

now what the **** is happening when my best dps in a pug goes barely over 200k? what are they doing? it's not like i read all threads about sorc dps or studied a rotation...

I've had matches where I barely go over 150K as a sentinel. I've also had matches (voidstar) where I hit 700K. If I have a match (e.g. ACW) where I happen to spend a large amount of time guarding a turret and the imps are not attacking that turret much at all, of course my numbers are going to be low. It's not all about damage.

In huttball, I've had matches where I do pathetic damage, but I have directly contributed to 3 scores. I spend most of my time moving ahead of the ball, trying to get open for a pass. Also, when I see we are about to score, I like to go back to the middle and wait for it to reset so I can quickly grab it and pass forward. Scores add up really fast that way.

Edited by teclado

I've had matches where I barely go over 150K as a sentinel. I've also had matches (voidstar) where I hit 700K. If I have a match (e.g. ACW) where I happen to spend a large amount of time guarding a turret and the imps are not attacking that turret much at all, of course my numbers are going to be low. It's not all about damage.

In huttball, I've had matches where I do pathetic damage, but I have directly contributed to 3 scores. I spend most of my time moving ahead of the ball, trying to get open for a pass. Also, when I see we are about to score, I like to go back to the middle and wait for it to reset so I can quickly grab it and pass forward. Scores add up really fast that way.

yepyep

Unfortunately, the objective goals in huttball require non brain dead teammates. DPS people doesn't. It's also fun to just see large 9k hits pop up on the screen. Sometimes I'm in it for the killing, and sometimes I just want to win. I don't care if it takes 10% longer to get to Partisan; If I have more fun then I'm gonna do that. lol! But every once in a while once I get huttball as an operative I do nothing but abuse my roll through the fire and what not. Very fun indeed.

But also to those who say that taunters are always bads:

You've "proven" they're bad under the assumption that they're bad. I can "prove" they could be really good under my own assumption; team based game is team based. If their team really IS that bad, and if they really ARE that good, then they will get focused. Many a times am I the very first to die every time for no reason that I can see, other than having a red shield infront of me. Scarcely does an overly focused player get good stats or even few deaths as dead. And no, you cannot contribute at the spawnpoint.

Edited by Zunayson

And no, you cannot contribute at the spawnpoint.

You can throw a guard on someone who is outside the spawn, while you are inside the spawn, if they are close enough. :D Oh all right, no, I don't think it actually does any mitigation for them until the spawn door opens.

I agree about HB. The teams that score the quickest and are the hardest to stop, in my experience, are the ones that set up a pass chain and just pass - pass - pass through the enemy team. Not the ones that sit there and try to DPS down the enemy who are around the ball carrier while she S L O W L Y runs toward the goal. I've been in plenty of blowout HB games where the winning team occupied the bottom 1/2 of the scoreboard at the end.

on my level 14 operative, I have stealthed to the end zone, and received the last pass on 6 consecutive scores.

I had 0 damage, 0 healing, 0 kills, 0 deaths. but I had a buttload of medals and objective points, and I got 6 MVP awards.

(this was also pre2.0)

essentially, I knew that my dps was useless and my healing only slightly better, and I knew that my team with 2 assassins and a sorc and 2 leapers would be able to get the ball to me quite fast.

but I guess I am a baddie coz I didn't get 300k/200k.

So I was doing some low lvl pvp earlier today and my team had a bunch of bads. They were playing like crap and I proceeded to taunt them and say stuff like they might be better off as dog food. I was top dmg and didn't get a single MVP vote. Who's in the wrong here? Clearly them but I'd like your opinions.

I might bash them once when I see them do something stupid, but I try to just start putting out tutorial messages.

I find myself most often having to explain to players how to guard a node by activating chat, typing in a pre-set message like "Incoming GRASS " and leaving it up to just add a number and hit ENTER in order to call for backup. That way when a stealther blind-sides you, you can still report AND react.

I think you're better off trying to teach them how to improve their game. Abusing them is just going to get them to shut down and stop listening to you, which doesn't fix the problem.

But I do understand the sentiment and totally understand the frustration.

You were in the right. Bads actually respond better to taunting, they are not like educated men of reason such as you and I. You cannot talk about things like tactics and keybindings without expecting to get anything but blank stares and gallons of drool from the bads. The only way to make these beasts productive is to insult them, watch them become enraged, and then point them in the direction of the enemy. Is it optimal? No. But it is the best we can do with these sub-humans.

Sound like somebody got good at video games because they never got picked for real sports where you actually need to face your opponent in person and understand that hot dogging players get benched as fast as bad players.

Bad mouthing a team mate is absolutely the worse thing a team player can ever do, even in a casual pug game. People whose skillset may be more evolved than team mates still need their help to move forward. Those folks become leaders. If some one with all of that skill can not find a way to move the team forward they are still lacking in the primary skills that are needed to win. I have met many high level scientist, artist, athletes and other top achievers, they are the first to offer their time to help some one else and will always work to give back to their community.

I will stop here