Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did look at using a secondary 'login only' display name, but sadly this would create more confusion and increase costs associated with support of the new system rather than decrease existing support costs.

:jawa_tongue:

So sacrifice player account security in chase of the Almighty dollar, it's good to know what Bioware think of us. Should I just start depositing my pay check straight to your account?

Edited by Dragarr

No. It's not April Fools. If there is one thing EA does right and takes seriously, it's account security.

if you honestly believe that in this circumstance, then you sir are a *******.

So my display name, publicly sitting on the forums, is what I have to use to log in and that's supposed to be more secure than an email address people don't know. I call BULL ****.

As an IT professional with a certification in network security, this is the last thing you should do. you NEVER give your user name or password out to people. once they know half, it's not hard to get the other half. so NO Bioware/EA. This does NOT enhance security.

The only thing I could hope for is it's an April Fools joke. If they honestly implement that, I'm done playing becuase it's a security violation to have usernames sitting out in public.

So can I change my display name log in then? It's an old name I used years ago.

It doesn't increase security at all either. But that's why I have a security key. Another way EA/BW wants you to buy from them! Increase your security because we are decreasing it for you!

Edited by spectreclees

if you honestly believe that in this circumstance, then you sir are a *******.

So my display name, publicly sitting on the forums, is what I have to use to log in and that's supposed to be more secure than an email address people don't know. I call BULL ****.

As an IT professional with a certification in network security, this is the last thing you should do. you NEVER give your user name or password out to people. once they know half, it's not hard to get the other half. so NO Bioware/EA. This does NOT enhance security.

The only thing I could hope for is it's an April Fools joke. If they honestly implement that, I'm done playing becuase it's a security violation to have usernames sitting out in public.

What about the IP checks and secret answers they will need to log in to the account?

i'd rather it stay how it is.. unless you're going to allow us to have our names associated with our account rather than being "not available" because someone else has it (ala Champions Online)..

A person looking to take over your account will still need to know your password and that's not displayed anywhere and if you have a strong password it will be difficult and it's constantly repeated by computer security experts have a strong password.

If this site detects you logging in from a different computer it will ask you one of the security questions you had to choose during account set-up and if you can't answer it you won't be allowed to log in to this site or the game

Edited by ratatech
Adding to post.

OHHH JOY i can just see it now. Joe shmuckatelly gets upset with joe smoe's post then well hey since he / she already has 50% of his or hers log on then let the fun begin for their hack on them for revenge. There are alot of smart folks that play this game and giving them half of a logon is just silly.

At any rate it will force people to either not use the forums or delete all the past posts to avoid any credit farmers from phishing the forums for easy pickings. why not they now have HALF the logon.

so since we cant or are shuned from using another service they provide due to lack of security is there any other surprises down the road? was there really that many hacked accounts to warrent such a change?

What about the IP checks and secret answers they will need to log in to the account?

You're right if this site detects you logging in from a different computer it will ask you one of the security questions you had to choose during account set-up and if you can't answer it you won't be allowed to log in to this site or the game.

OHHH JOY i can just see it now. Joe shmuckatelly gets upset with joe smoe's post then well hey since he / she already has 50% of his or hers log on then let the fun begin for their hack on them for revenge. There are alot of smart folks that play this game and giving them half of a logon is just silly.

At any rate it will force people to either not use the forums or delete all the past posts to avoid any credit farmers from phishing the forums for easy pickings. why not they now have HALF the logon.

so since we cant or are shuned from using another service they provide due to lack of security is there any other surprises down the road? was there really that many hacked accounts to warrent such a change?

If this site detects you logging in from a different computer it will ask you one of the security questions you had to choose during account set-up and if you can't answer it you won't be allowed to log in to this site or the game

You're right if this site detects you logging in from a different computer it will ask you one of the security questions you had to choose during account set-up and if you can't answer it you won't be allowed to log in to this site or the game.

Thats what i liked about rift was the coin lock feature it required you to type in a passsword sent to your email account to unlock you accout if your IP changed.

A question - I may be losing the email address associated with this account in the course of the upcoming year. Will this change allow me to (or affect my ability to) change the e-mail address associated with this account? Edited by Jagrevi

I'm sorry this by far makes no sense and seems people are just trying to just try something new. Have you ever heard of what's not broken dont try to fix it. So I'll have to enter my Chracter name them or my clan name then see this makes no sense. What about if someone needs things sent to there email but they forgot there log in name smh I see alot pissed of subscribers with this

A question - I may be losing the email address associated with this account in the course of the upcoming year. Will this change allow me to (or affect my ability to) change the e-mail address associated with this account?

This change will have no affect on how you manage your email address for your account.

All it does is remove your email address as a component of login to your account or the servers.

It is tempting to give Phillip Holmes the benefit of the doubt, in matters of computer security. He does have an adequate security background.

Phillip Holmes (impressive public record) LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/phillipholmes

But then he showed favor to 'doing security on the cheap.'

So in case you haven't come across me before (most haven't!), I'm Phillip Holmes, the Senior Manager of Security here at Star Wars: The Old Republic.

We did look at using a secondary 'login only' display name, but sadly this would create more confusion and increase costs associated with support of the new system rather than decrease existing support costs .

Sony did that in 2011. And the repercussions continue.

Well, we'll see if anything happens in the next few months.

Casual computer users might find this article of interest.

Kill the Password: Why a String of Characters Can’t Protect Us Anymore

MAT HONAN, 11.15.12

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/11/ff-mat-honan-password-hacker/

And keeping a low Internet profile helps.

It takes a village to kill a password

John Fontana, February 21, 2013

http://www.zdnet.com/it-takes-a-village-to-kill-a-password-7000011638/

"Or were passwords stolen from Twitter or any number of other* repositories hacked in the past 24 months or so (LinkedIn,Facebook, Apple, Zappos, Sony) the source of the passwords?"

Indeed.

/*

"What's in YOUR wallet?"

Please be aware that beginning on April 2, 2013, logging in to the game or website will require your Display Name. Email addresses will no longer be accepted; your Display Name will be the only accepted option.

Read More

That has got to be the worst move I've ever heard of. Why is it that if you are going to change the login that you make us use the name that we subscribe under instead of letting us log in like we have been with our emails? You came out with these devices that attach to our key-chains that give us a number to enter as our Security Key and our emails and passwords to go with it and you're changing it. Why didn't you do this when the game was first released instead of doing it now after all of this time, tell me that? This makes no sense.

Please be aware that beginning on April 2, 2013, logging in to the game or website will require your Display Name. Email addresses will no longer be accepted; your Display Name will be the only accepted option.

Read More

Curious how my email account tagged the notification as spam... Even my email system knows this is a sketchy idea.

If this is for real I'm done.

It for real.. In fact you all can do it now.. I have already switched to using my display name over email.. The game and website already allow the switch.. April is when it will become mandantory..

I fail to see why this is a cause to be upset though.. :eek:

I find it strange that the game and the forum use the same log-in and password.

Why?? You use the website to manage your game account and also to buy things like Cartek coins.. The website is merely an extension to the game.. It makes sense that they are the same.. :)

I'm a security expert and would love to take up that challenge - but then I have access to internal tools and can tell you the answer :jawa_wink:

I can guarantee however that your email address is used on multiple sites. We don't control the security of 'all the sites' and as a result whenever another site that is using email address is hacked and your details disclosed, that the attacker will know who to phish or similar. Not so true for a Display Name that most people don't always get to use on every site they visit...

Not everything you think is 'hidden' truly is.

Arrogant and unprofessional response :mad: