vBulletin and You - [SWTOR vBulletin Guide] (What Bioware left out)

Vandrel-Blitz

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I worked with a VERY large community for an ISP, and can see why a lot of these features have been left out.

You have to consider that a lot of users are not computer literate as the rest of us so a concious desicion was made to remove those features to make things more simple for the average user and the people managing them.

On the boards I ran there were a lot of people asking questions on how to use certain functionality within the forum software and there were not enough hours in the day to deal with all of those questions. Thankfully we had a team of volunteer moderators who helped with that.

The more forums/sub-forums you have, the more moderating that you have to do. If you had sub forums for guilds then someone would have to look after them, people within the guild would have to moderate their forums and someone would have to moderate them to make sure they were keeping up with their end of the bargain. Guilds would form, some would disband, someone would have to manage this or create changes within the software to allow this extra functionality.

It is in the interest of the game managers for their users to build their own communities on their own websites, this helps get more interest in the game as the search engines are populated with more results with the games details.

There are many functions of the forums on here that I miss but I can see why the decisions were made to hide them.