are Light Side and Dark Side equally as powerful?

Sadishist

Yeah, he was luring Anakin to the Dark Side.

No, Dooku and Vader master the Dark Side better, but Anakin and Luke got more potential and the outburst gave them huge power, in the book Dooku was able to stop Anakin's rampage but Sidious helped Anakin to master his anger.

Not how the movies played it out at all imo.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should the novelization. Less speculation than the limited-to-visual interface of movies.

Possibly. However, while I don't recall the exact titles off the top of my head, I do recall there being a few novelization of movies that the writer added in elements that got through the editing process as making the written story better, and not really how it was suppossed to be by the movie.

Also, for SW movies > novels last I recall. And if I recall correctly without the novelization, that's exactly how everyone saw the scene play out.

could easily be the writer just wanted to up Palpatine even more. Or did GL come out and say "Yeah the novels are were it's at, and what you see in the movies isn't exactly accurate"?

well the novels came first and gl copied them, so novel`s are where it is at.

also light does has strength`s, it just ds will go that extra mile for victory which make them on avrage stronger

Okay, now I need to know, where did these novels come first? Or do you mean, the novelizations were released before the movies, which yes, I know this, as I own the Phantom Menace novelization, but at the same time, I'd say the novels were released first, not that they came before the movies.

Because it feels good.

Seriously, think about it like this: You just found out you have superpowers. You realize you have two, *maybe* three, choices. You can A) Enter a monastery, distance yourself from your friends and family, avoid any romantic relationships for the rest of your life, and try to cultivate a nebulously defined "inner peace" to safely develop your powers. Or B) follow your instincts and embrace your emotions to fuel and direct your powers without having to sacrifice anything. The only problem being that you are told that this will eventually lead you to become a horrible evil person.

Now think about it, if someone told you this how much would you *really* believe that you could become an evil monster just because you got some cool powers and refused to become a monk. Surely you would never do any of the crazy, horrible, monstrous things you've heard about a few psychos doing, that's not who you are right? So how dangerous could it really be to keep living your life like you always have, your feelings are what make you human after all, right?

Besides, no one said you had to run off and join the Sith. You can always C) just find your own way. Maybe let the Jedi teach you how to use your powers, but once you've got what you need they can't make you live like a monk, they'll just kick you out of the order. No big deal there, you don't really want to live that life anyway. It's not like you're going to suddenly start murdering or torturing people, you just want to go back to living a fulfilling and enjoyable life of your own.

That's why people take the easy road. Either right away, or once the constant discipline and self-restraint begins to become intolerable. While some people manage to stay "Grey", a lot end up taking the very tempting road all the way down, because it starts with small things and snowballs into bigger things before you catch yourself. You can see a number of dark-side force users who weren't nice people, but weren't looking to blow up random planets for no reason either.

You don't have to go full-on evil to become a powerful dark-side force user, but after a while it can be hard to remember why you aren't committing atrocities for kicks if you let yourself get carried away or end up under the influence of someone who enables you and pushes you to bigger and badder exploits.

There's a lot more I could say on this, but it's largely an expansion of the above.

I can tell you this though. If I became a force user, within a year I'd be fully aligned to the dark-side. Not by choice, but by simple nature. I can't let go, I can't detach from my feelings and instincts, and I will give into my passions. Simple as that.

u sir took the words right outta my mouth. *clap clap* i applaud u

and although they make is seem that "good will triumph over evil" in reality dark side will always win due to the emotion factor imo. emotions are wat drives us and if its strong enough even can let us do things believed impossible. therefore Dark Side > Light Side

tho thats just me :p

Just wondering why people pick dark side and not stay light side if both are equal in power. No reason?

Or just in this game they were equal for gameplay purposes?

This is going on the false premise that power is the one and only one reason to be a Sith. People tend to believe in the ideology they were raised in, even if it's turned every society in which it gains influence into a third world hell hole, they follow it because they believe it's right. Same is true here. Most Sith are Sith just because they were born and raised in the Empire.

It also assumes that there's only one kind of power, personal combat, that matters. Yes, a Jedi might be equally capable of strangling a guy with his mind just for laughs (just as one example), but their order forbids it. The power that might be appealing to a Sith isn't just from the capability, but the freedom to use that capability however you like. Political, economic or social power can be just as enticing as physical power.

This is going on the false premise that power is the one and only one reason to be a Sith. People tend to believe in the ideology they were raised in, even if it's turned every society in which it gains influence into a third world hell hole, they follow it because they believe it's right. Same is true here. Most Sith are Sith just because they were born and raised in the Empire.

It also assumes that there's only one kind of power, personal combat, that matters. Yes, a Jedi might be equally capable of strangling a guy with his mind just for laughs (just as one example), but their order forbids it. The power that might be appealing to a Sith isn't just from the capability, but the freedom to use that capability however you like. Political, economic or social power can be just as enticing as physical power.

That given food for thought

The difference between the lightside and darkside is that they are different kinds of power. Darkside power is mostly conflict-based. I say conflict and not combat because manipulation and power plays are also forms of conflict. Conflict-based power is the most easily visible, and as such, often the most tempting.

Lightside power is, in a way, also based on conflict, but it is based on resolving conflict, not causing conflict. And the way that they resolve conflict is usually peacefully. Jedi tend to focus their powers towards diplomacy and problem solving, and when presented with a problem, the violent solution always comes last for them. Thus, the lower ranked jedi, such as padawans and knights, tend to have less combat prowess than their sith equivalents, especially against foes wielding lightsabers and force powers.. It is usually at the jedi master/sith lord level that they begin to even out in combat skills.

Also, its important to note that the characters we talk about tend not to have the (relatively) unbiased views that we do.