Character Analysis: Kir Kanos

Well folks am back with another Analysis thread for a character, haven't done these in quite some time so hope everyone enjoys. This time its looking into the Imperial Royal Guardsman Kir Kanos, so lets begin!

=======

"I'd like to propose a toast honoring a hero of the true Empire, someone whose devotion to the Emperor is legendary. Gentlemen, show your respect to the last surviving member of the Royal Guard -- the living emblem of Palpatine's rule, Kir Kanos."

―Ennix Devian, honoring Kanos's exploits

Bio

Kir Kanos was a member of the Royal Guard during the GCW, holding absolute loyalty to Emperor Palpatine's ideals like all the others. He evaded the destruction of the 2nd Death Star and Byss where much of the guard was stationed, and was the last remaining loyal member of the Guardsmen after the ultimate massacre at Yinchorr. He swore to take down Carnor Jax who was aspiring to become Emperor and the others who had a hand in Palpatine's demise, his actions made him the most wanted man in the galaxy with a massive bounty put on his head by the Remnant.

He made temporary allies with the New Republic and even became romantically involved with Mirith Sinn, however was broken when he killed Jax to avenge Palpatine. Eventually Kanos worked as a bounty hunter, taking various assignments from backwater sectors and hoping to one day take on Luke Skywalker who had been the primary figure behind Palpatine's death. However sometime later, Kanos dropped Luke and Palpatine's enemies to serve for the greater good and following the forth battle of Orinda faked his own death to retire from the public eye and have a peaceful future.

Personality

A cold and brutal individual, was known to kill without mercy and felt little guilt if at all. He was fanatically loyal to Palpatine, going so far as to mourn him for almost 10 days of his highly respected Emperor, he felt a connection with him and Palpatine going so far as to look upon him like a father thus driving him to revenge to avenge him. Though he seemed emotionless and uncaring, he did have a show of brief tenderness and emotion examples being when he killed Tauk he was filled with remorse and with Sinn he started having traitorous thoughts and his loyalty for the Empire was shaken with the proof he was shown, however even with it he parted ways from her.

Abilities/Powers/Equipment

Kanos was a master with his vibrostaff aswell as a good marksmen with his longblaster, and like all Royal Guardsmen he showed abilities in using The Force. Though his abilities in using it, were more enhancing his body to move at quick speeds, enhancing his reflexes to deflect/evade/block blaster fire using his staff, also enhancing his strength to throw people effortlessly and hang onto ships.

Images

Full Armor

Younger

Older

===

Thoughts: I gotta say Kir Kanos is such an awesome character, becoming the most wanted man in the galaxy and not getting caught. Not to mention he just looks downright boss in his armor, if there are Star Wars spin-off movies, Kir Kanos most defiantly deserves one.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Another excellent read. I had always thought Kir Kanos was an interesting character. Mostly for the same reasons as you do.

Mmmhm sure is an interesting one indeed, he is still alive too! The stuff he also does in Crimson Empire is just awesome, but shall save that for later.

I'm not going to lie my only encounter with Kir Kanos comes from the The Bounty Hunters Collection of one shots, where in the story he was going off as Kenix Kil. Frankly I thought he was pretty bland at the time. I haven't read the story in a while, but I remember not liking the outfit he had on as in he wasn't appealing like Boba Fett.

But the way this analysis sums it up he sounds like a really cool character. I might check him out.

I'm not going to lie my only encounter with Kir Kanos comes from the The Bounty Hunters Collection of one shots, where in the story he was going off as Kenix Kil. Frankly I thought he was pretty bland at the time. I haven't read the story in a while, but I remember not liking the outfit he had on as in he wasn't appealing like Boba Fett.

But the way this analysis sums it up he sounds like a really cool character. I might check him out.

Crimson Empire is where he shines the best.

One thing I am not sure about. I don't think all Royal Guardsmen were Force-Sensitive, well trained and deadly yes, but not necessarily Force Sensitive. The Shadow Guard and Sovereign Protectors are both subsections of the Royal Guard that were Force Sensitive, Dark Side Adepts trained by Palpatine himself.

To that end I don't remember any particular scene or evidence that Kir Kanos was Force Sensitive. Carnor Jax was and that was established in his story, and part of the reason he always seemed to defeat Kir Kanos in the Squall during training. Even during his final fight with Jax I don't think it was established that he was Force Sensitive.

One thing I am not sure about. I don't think all Royal Guardsmen were Force-Sensitive, well trained and deadly yes, but not necessarily Force Sensitive. The Shadow Guard and Sovereign Protectors are both subsections of the Royal Guard that were Force Sensitive, Dark Side Adepts trained by Palpatine himself.

To that end I don't remember any particular scene or evidence that Kir Kanos was Force Sensitive. Carnor Jax was and that was established in his story, and part of the reason he always seemed to defeat Kir Kanos in the Squall during training. Even during his final fight with Jax I don't think it was established that he was Force Sensitive.

They would have at least latent Sensitivity, otherwise Kir Kanos wouldn't be able to do some of the things he did in Crimson Empire as it required some degree of using The Force. The Shadow and Sovereign guys were just those, who were able to use The Force to better degrees, that doesn't mean regular Guardsmen wouldn't be able to us The Force to some degree just that they weren't chosen to be one of the former two is all. Though yes, not all Guardsmen would be able to use The Force to at least enhance their body capabilities.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

They would have at least latent Sensitivity, otherwise Kir Kanos wouldn't be able to do some of the things he did in Crimson Empire as it required some degree of using The Force. The Shadow and Sovereign guys were just those, who were able to use The Force to better degrees, that doesn't mean regular Guardsmen wouldn't be able to us The Force to some degree just that they weren't chosen to be one of the former two is all. Though yes, not all Guardsmen would be able to use The Force to at least enhance their body capabilities.

Actually, I think it's canon that he was not Force sensitive.

He was just an extremely highly trained, and motivated soldier.

Personally though, he is one of my favorite EU characters and I really enjoyed the Crimson Empire series.

Actually, I think it's canon that he was not Force sensitive.

He was just an extremely highly trained, and motivated soldier.

Personally though, he is one of my favorite EU characters and I really enjoyed the Crimson Empire series.

I don't think its confirmed nor denied but the stuff he does, certainly hints that he was superhuman so am going that he was.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I don't think its confirmed nor denied but the stuff he does, certainly hints that he was superhuman so am going that he was.

By that rational then Han Solo, Wedge Antilles, Soontir Fel, Boba Fett, and a host of others that performed as well, or better, than a Jedi should be super human too.

All of those named are canonically non force sensitive. So it is not beyond reason that someone like Kanos who is highly trained, motivated, and determined to be able to accomplish what he did without the use of the Force.

By that rational then Han Solo, Wedge Antilles, Soontir Fel, Boba Fett, and a host of others that performed as well, or better, than a Jedi should be super human too.

All of those named are canonically non force sensitive. So it is not beyond reason that someone like Kanos who is highly trained, motivated, and determined to be able to accomplish what he did without the use of the Force.

I don't recall Han, Wedge, Fel or Boba blocking blaster fire, or avoiding multiple blaster shots from close range, or tossing guys out that are twice their size, or hanging onto ships as they are flying and so on.

As said, Kanos wouldn't be so strong as to hurl around objects and the like. But more then likely have enough to enhance his bodily capabilities, he would have at least latent sensitivity to use, the Guards did learn force techniques to sustain the Emperor.

Their primary duty was to protect the Emperor from any threat - but failing that, they were trained in Force techniques that could sustain the Emperor until help arrived.

Dark Side Sourcebook

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I don't recall Han, Wedge, Fel or Boba blocking blaster fire, or avoiding multiple blaster shots from close range, or tossing guys out that are twice their size, or hanging onto ships as they are flying and so on.

As said, Kanos wouldn't be so strong as to hurl around objects and the like. But more then likely have enough to enhance his bodily capabilities, he would have at least latent sensitivity to use.

Han has avoided multiple shots at close range. Boba has defeated Jedi and survived combat against Vader. Wedge was considered the best pilot that the Rebels had and above Luke in skill. Same for Fel but on the Imperial side.

While their exploits might not mirror those of Kanos, they have all demonstrated abilities and skills above those of a Jedi and they are not considered super human or Force sensitive/latent.

Granted, a lot of those things could be considered plot armor, but the same thing could be said of Kanos and his situations.

Han has avoided multiple shots at close range. Boba has defeated Jedi and survived combat against Vader. Wedge was considered the best pilot that the Rebels had and above Luke in skill. Same for Fel but on the Imperial side.

While their exploits might not mirror those of Kanos, they have all demonstrated abilities and skills above those of a Jedi and they are not considered super human or Force sensitive/latent.

Granted, a lot of those things could be considered plot armor, but the same thing could be said of Kanos and his situations.

When has Han, was it as he was standing and not moving? When has Boba beaten Jedi that have actually any skill, were there any circumstances involved with the fighting? The fight with Vader, really shouldn't have even happened but ya he did. Wedge and Fel, those guys are pilots I am talking about on ground combat with just themselves. There is also the edited quote up top in my last post, with the Sourcebook, which is also paraphrased on the Imperial Guard wookiee page just the regular.

There is also the fact, Kanos and Jax were of the same prime clone(or clone template) and yet Jax was force sensitive so it would make sense for Kanos to be if they come from the same template. Just Kanos wouldn't be as strong, given he wasn't taken to be a Soverign Protector like Jax was, there is a baseline here for sensitivity.

But if not going for that, then its ambiguous and we can just agree to disagree though I still think he is.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi