PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

Lunez

VERSION 1.16

UPDATED: 6-28-12

I edited a bunch of stuff and prepped the guide for the soon to be added section on Mod-Ripping!

lol hope you guys work better at day jobs better then blowing smoke up the backsides of others.

being a contender or working your way to it does not require you going thru humility thats not even entertaining.

by the way you did a great job at putting an insulting post up better then the helpfull suggestions i might add.

I can't please everyone it seems! :D Have a good day, sir!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably one addition to the do's and dont's. I am not a PVPer myself but did PVP dailies when leveling up my toons. That said, certain things should be common sense.

When you are attacking, a common strategy is to have most players fighting on one door and 2 players (with a stealth-er) to distract defenders on the other door and plant the bomb. I have no idea how many times I have seen people continuing to fight on the door with no bomb, after the bomb has been planted successfully by their teammate on the other door. The bomb planter is likely to get cc-ed and killed and the bomb defused if no backup arrives, but nope, a lot of players prefer to continue their awesome duels. :rolleyes:

Anyway, really good job! I would like to start to PVP more on my new toon, and this is a wonderful guide!

Edited by iamrhyolite

When you hit 50 you can pick up a mission at the pvp mission box called advancing technology or it might be called new technology but you pick it up then it says go to dropbox and you can select ether a full set of recruit gear or a coin that will give you 320,000 credits so even if you don't have enough credits or just want to do a little pvp but don't want to waste money on recruit gear or even if you need more credits and already have recruit or other pvp gear you can still just right click it and it will give you the credits

Note I have only done this on my smuggler so I am not sure if it will work on empire:rolleyes:

Classic. Should get a Sticky.

One more suggestion: Remember this isn't real life. When ya die here, you're fine. Get used to die'ing. Embrace die'ing. Be one with your die'ing. Die'ing has no stat so embrace the conflict. More often than not, you'll figure out what you're doing wrong and suddenly stop die'ing.

As you said, dying is a great way to learn. Imagine if you played every Warzone to perfection. Yeah, it'd rock, but would you learn anything? Probably not, just ask most Frost Mages in WoW.

When you die, it's also not necessarily because of a teammates incompetence (though, it can be). Sometimes, the other guy is just better. There's always a bigger fish in the world of PvP. As you grow, you'll eat them. Remember that.

i aggre + u make it sond as if PvP is a 50's only game, if u collect ur comms while levleing, they can give u boosts at lv 20 and 40. this comes in handy and a pvp chest pice for levlers is like only 500 coms uasaly.

the best

The thing about PvP that irks me more than anything else is the bias against healers. Forget about everybody else, OK. One 'toon. Healer spec, healer gear. The exact same expertise gives me AS A HEALER, twice as big a damage bonus as healing bonus. That has absolutely nothing to do with gear, the nature of the battle, or the abilities of allies or enemies. That's BUILT-IN SYSTEMATIC BIAS - specifically against healers.

In the Popular MMORPG That Shall Not Be Named, they had it right. Player on player, one on one, matched gear, a healer could make a DPS work for it. In a solo duel, a healer could drag the fight out for a solid 20 minutes - and even win if they were a little more skilled or caught a lucky break. Not a death machine by any stretch, but a match for certain - they couldn't win by sheer force of arms, but they could wear the enemy down by just out-surviving them.

Not so in SWTOR. In SWTOR PvP, healers are worthless and weak, and the PvP game is SET UP to make them that way. One on one, a healer doesn't stand a chance - even briefly. Healers get butchered on PvP token distribution, too, so it even takes longer to gear up. Check any battle summary sheet you want. The healers are down there in the bottom half - no matter how well they did or how well the battle went.

So the question, I suppose, is this: What problem does Bioware have with healers in PvP? It has to be something for them to bias the entire PvP system 2 to 1 against healers, so what is it?

Also, just so you know, even we great and terrible PvP warlords fall in battle, there is no shame, there is only determination. Pave forward my young PvP padawan newbs, and you too, shall become PvP-Knights!

Not sure if I'm a padawan. I kind of....kill them. I guess you could say a PvP Apprentice, that is unless I'm a Bounty Hunter, then what would you call me. A new Hunter to the arena? Hmmm I suppose it doesn't matter. Thanks for the post.

:D

Edited by LG_XxLegacyxX

level 11-49, try to get your PVP daily as much as possible. this is important!

step1) try to get to valor rank 40 by level 40 (getting this out of the way will help a great deal- but if u cant or dont want to, thats fine- but your missing out on potential War Hero gear you can have right out of the gate.

step 2) save save save (this is important)

2A) save all warzone medpacks and warzone adrenals you can until you hit 50! these are awsome and will help recruits get to bm gear

2B) save your Warzone commendations and try to keep it near 2000, you can buy warzone medpacks or addrenals but never go under 1850 warzone commendations, and when you hit 49, definatelly dont go under 1950 warzone commendations

2C) Save credits! try to have 250k before level 50.

(i would honestly skip your Tier 2 speeder at level 40)

(if u want, you can purchase the level 40 and level 50 riding skill, and buy your 110% speeder without ever purchasing your 100% speeder)

step 3) if you did step one and hit valor rank 40 at around level 40 or 41, you can convert 30 warzone commendations into 10 Ranked warzone commendations! but still try to stay around 1800-1900 regular warzone commendations.

3A) when you hit 50, you should be able to buy 2 Battlemaster pieces, and the rest recruit gear. if you have enough ranked warzone commendations, you can convert 1 or both Battlemaster pieces into their respective War Hero Pieces.

tip for dps jugs and maras- the gloves are cheap, and generally have nice war hero stats. Both the Weaponmasters and Vindicators War Hero Gloves should have power surge enhancment.

if you saved your warzone addrenals- you can pop them before your big attack to hit a lot harder then a normal recruit would (its like having a couple seconds of battlemaster grade umph!).

if you saved your warzone medpacks- you can pop them when your getting jumped by those 3 pesky battlemasters that keep targeting you- giving you back 30% of your maximum hp back to you!

hopefully you saved enough of these 2 expendables to last you until your full BM+ gear!

step 4) enjoy! dont let people talk you down, we all started somewhere- and if your reading the OP's guide, at least it shows your trying- and thats the most important!

great sticky and great reply - 2 days of PvP (didnt try till 50 - first MMO so PvE was my focus) and Im getting the same 2 players ripping into me for not being sure of things, they dont deserve a reply as far as Im concerned. Im reading and Im playing but I cant makle miracles happen in 3 days, will get there, appreciate your help - and the sticky itself .....

If anyone can answer these queries, it would be much appreciated .....

1. In Civil War, I was being called a retard for choosing the wrong speeder after a death but it looks to me that they end up at the same point or am I missing something ? 3 Areas, I believe they call them middle, grass and snow. So speeder choice taking you closer to where the action is, be it snow or grass, etc ? Didnt quite get that ...

2. Voidstar ..... It looked like a complete draw at 1 stage (twice) and the Imperial side took the cake .... does that sound right ?

3. I figure its a good thing to go for the opposition healer(s), but I find it difficult to distinguish who the healer is, is there a common way of knowing yourself, who the helaer(s) are ? Is it just a case of - he or she is a SAGE, so its likely he or she is a healer rather than a DPS (example) or hes a Commando, so its possible he or she is healer ? I found it really handy when it was marked by a team member but seems to be rare. I guess Im after a popular indicator that will help me mark them out (when not marked) ............ (I can see who is who in my team obviously - OP Frames)

4. Huttball - Is it a good strategy to have 1 team member at each end ? Last line of Defence and someone you can pass to for an easy run into goal or is that a bit of a lazy seagull attitude ? and the rest doing what they can all over the field, kind of thing

5. In general pvp terms ? when you have a team, where most do not know each other or are unfamiliar with each other ?, what would you consider a solid basic strategy. 1 leader, everyone follow his/her instruction ?

Thanks all ....... enjoyed reading this section and the replies ....... very helpful

Edited by Blockk

VERSION 1.16

I edited a bunch of stuff and prepped the guide for the soon to be added section on Mod-Ripping!

I can't please everyone it seems! :D Have a good day, sir!

I feel you pain - I think you did a grand job - keep up the good work :)

If anyone can answer these queries, it would be much appreciated .....

1. In Civil War, I was being called a retard for choosing the wrong speeder after a death but it looks to me that they end up at the same point or am I missing something ? 3 Areas, I believe they call them middle, grass and snow. So speeder choice taking you closer to where the action is, be it snow or grass, etc ? Didnt quite get that ...

2. Voidstar ..... It looked like a complete draw at 1 stage (twice) and the Imperial side took the cake .... does that sound right ?

3. I figure its a good thing to go for the opposition healer(s), but I find it difficult to distinguish who the healer is, is there a common way of knowing yourself, who the helaer(s) are ? Is it just a case of - he or she is a SAGE, so its likely he or she is a healer rather than a DPS (example) or hes a Commando, so its possible he or she is healer ? I found it really handy when it was marked by a team member but seems to be rare. I guess Im after a popular indicator that will help me mark them out (when not marked) ............ (I can see who is who in my team obviously - OP Frames)

4. Huttball - Is it a good strategy to have 1 team member at each end ? Last line of Defence and someone you can pass to for an easy run into goal or is that a bit of a lazy seagull attitude ? and the rest doing what they can all over the field, kind of thing

5. In general pvp terms ? when you have a team, where most do not know each other or are unfamiliar with each other ?, what would you consider a solid basic strategy. 1 leader, everyone follow his/her instruction ?

1. Notice that there are two windows when you are in the start area. Normally there is one speeder at each window, it leads to the raised middle area. IF your team controls either the left or right turret (grass/snow, you can tell by the terrain), a speeder appears to the LEFT of the speeder at the left window OR to the RIGHT of the speeder at the right window. These should always be used when your team needs defense on the sides.

2. It's normally whoever gets the farthest or whoever gets there fastest, but if neither team opens the first door it's either first on offense or first on defense who always wins. (Someone correct this please.)

3. When healing, healers will be standing still and will be reasonably far away. Look around if you see someone's (especially your target's) health bar going up in spikes. Look for the 3 healer classes - sage, scoundrel, commando - and watch what they're casting. Learn to look at castbars - lots of green colors on their castbar icons or on their characters (like the Commando's healing laser) mean they're healing.

4. Don't leave people in the back, and it's hard to move all the way to the enemy endzone without dying. Keep your team together, especially while moving the ball. Move ahead or upstairs when you can make yourself clear for a pass and/or a run to the goal.

5. In Voidstar, if one person calls out which door to attack and where to send stealthers, etc., everyone usually agrees. In Civil War, pretty much anyone can suggest a specific strategy of which towers to cap, and people usually listen if someone takes the initiative. In Huttball and Novare, there aren't really any specific strats that can be pulled off by a non-premade group, so there isn't much of a point in strategizing there.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anybody point me to a guide that explains about all conditions that can be remove with "Triage", "Dodge", "Restoration", etc.? I had experimented by dueling but I am still a bit confused if I can remove force slow, armor debuffs, etc. Please help. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
VERSION 1.16

Another important piece of information that people often forget is to make sure you remove your mods from your Battlemaster armor before converting the armor into War Hero gear. NOTE: There are multiple reasons to rip mods and will later be explained in future updated sections dedicated to Mod-Ripping.

[/color]

I don't understand the benefit of pulling out BM mods when you upgrade to War Hero gear. The War Hero gear has better mods so you no longer need the BM stuff. I just did that when upgrading to my first piece of War Hero gear and it costs a good amount to do.

I do understand the post about maximizing stats with mods, but it doesn't seem you would do that by re-using BM stuff after obtaining War Hero.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

GREAT post btw!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this was said but it also helps tons if you augment all your gear (relics too!) you get around 13 End and 8 Primary stat for each augment *grade 6(max)* would be around 169 extra end and 104 Primary stat if you aug all your gear! 1,690 HP or so? I might be a tad off here or there, but extra stats are extra stats xD.

Also if your a super dooper Min maxer make sure to get all the datacrons relevent to your class (All force users use will and strenght either as main or off stat) and *normals* use aim and cunning either as main or off stat and can help add a little extra OOMF, and last but not least getting all 8 class's NPC's finnished will net you more extra stats!

Complete the list add'd with Warhero, a stim of choice, and consumibles, add some skill and BAMN your a beast :jawa_angel:

• 2 weeks later...
I have a question. Is there any difference between, say a full battlemaster pvp set, and and set of some other armor with all the mods I ripped from the battlemaster set and put in this one?

Very useful guide, thanks for posting.

Unfortunatly yes, the battlemaster armor has the set bonus tied to the shell itself. The war hero on the other hand has the set bonus tied to the armoring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

how to be a contender

IGNORE THE OBJECTIVES AND PLAY AS IF IT'S A FPS, STANDO N THE GOAL LINES WHILE THE EBC, JUMPS AT YOU, OR BETETR YET, JUMP OFF THE BRIDGE ON THE WAY TO THE NEXT AREA, OR YOU CAN EVEN TRY GOING INTO THE MINE FEILDS THATS ALWAYS FUN!!!

Awesome so glad i read this, im new to these kinds of mmos and i love pvp. so when i started doing it i kept getting *****. and we always lose. now i know what to do. how long do you think it would take for a level 35 to get to 50 just by pvping ?

Quite some time, though I don't know how long. All depends on how much you PVP.

One thing: you want to complete chapter 2 of your class quests (about level 40). This means you can cast your class buff on ALL the characters in your legacy (so that eventually, after getting all four buffs, you can make sure you and your team get all the class buffs even if you don't have every class in the warzone, and you have all the buffs all the time).

Have fun!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Now see! I didn't know that... No wonder I've been getting killed all the time. I don't have any level 50 characters. I've been playing since before the original release and just now found a class I "really" like. So, maybe by spring I'll have a character that can BEGIN to compete in PVP.:o