SWTOR Music Suite

SilentWave

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't make a habit of commenting on threads for general chat or light banter purposes. . . But seriously dude! AMAZING STUFF~ with music editing/mixing being a hobby of mine I understand much of the effort that goes into putting together a musical suite on a simple level. With the amount of detail, thought and creativity that you've shown in both the suite's themselves but also the extra content and explanations you've included is inspiring to me! As long as you are still enjoying it, I'd love to hear/see more of your work... :D

...with music editing/mixing being a hobby of mine...

I recommend using Amadeus Pro as a medium-weight sound editor. I used it for these suites and it is the primary application used for all my sound editing since I bought it several months ago. There is a persistent bug with the multitrack editing causing it to crash if you get mildly ambitious like I do by moving samples around during playback, but all the other functionalities are really worth $60.

Edited by SilentWave

Wow, nice! Thanks :)

Also, if you didn't know, you can download the MP3 files from the game right from this site

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20111201

I did not know SWTOR published their own suites online.

That is slightly misleading, firstly, because the music files in the game are in .ogg format, secondly, because those seem to be suites edited together using only a handful of the 1,140 .ogg music files in the game, and thirdly, because that link specifies that the music advertised there was composed for SWTOR rather than also used in other Star Wars venues. The game music files include music from other Star Wars venues also, such as the main title theme used with every Star Wars movie and game.

• 2 months later...
Is this the music that plays during the cutscene when your ship appears flying towards a planet, or is this music unique to the Imperial Fleet or the Imperial Agent leaving their ship while already docked in a hangar somewhere? If you could record a video of it, I can identify the music.

heh sorry to have disappeared for a couple months, but just came back to this thread recently to get the tracks again, and remembered i had asked this.

I heard this track when my agent docked at balmorra and had just gotten off her ship in the spaceport hangar. it played immediately upon loadin.

It appears to be the first part of the track: Balmorra:the forge from the track list referred to a few posts above on the SWTOR website. I would love to have a loop of the first 30 seconds or so... very patriotic sounding.

Edited by Taramayne

• 4 months later...
heh sorry to have disappeared for a couple months, but just came back to this thread recently to get the tracks again, and remembered i had asked this.

I heard this track when my agent docked at balmorra and had just gotten off her ship in the spaceport hangar. it played immediately upon loadin.

It appears to be the first part of the track: Balmorra:the forge from the track list referred to a few posts above on the SWTOR website. I would love to have a loop of the first 30 seconds or so... very patriotic sounding.

So here's the deal. I've been away for many months, and now I'm back for a time. My subscription ran out a few days before I wanted to update the music links, so now I'm resubscribed and am updating (and massively bumping) this topic. I found the selection you asked for, I put all the files back in place on the server in order to make all the music download links work again in this topic (I might change the links later)... and the selection you requested is:

9BB47CD7_AFA467E47A854AEB

And here is your music loop of the first ~30 seconds, as requested!

This one is a test with reverb at the very end of the loop. I used the Apple AUMatrixReverb in order to extend the last part of the segment over with a little reverb, then pasted the edited reverb over that part and adjusted its volume to 73%. You can hear how it sounds at the very end with the flutes. If you think it's too loud, I think so too, but it was a crescendo anyway. This sound is meant to be looped directly without pause. It's sort of an experimental version. I'll see about coming up with a version that doesn't use the reverb or uses a different reverb setting and is perhaps nicer. I also edited the beginning, and if you download the .wav file and open it in a sound editor, you should be able to see the markers I set up for the strings. I copy-pasted one of those in order to get the better articulation than was in the fade in at the start of the available sound file.

Here is the new location where you can find all the SWTOR music I've done:

http://www.blazingmusic.net/music/audio/lucas_arts/swtor/

These are the versions of the one you requested:

http://www.blazingmusic.net/music/audio/lucas_arts/swtor/9BB47CD7_AFA467E47A854AEB/

Would you be interested in a 60-second loop? The whole sound clip should work well as a loop.

I also did two 60-second versions, one with the ending and one without the ending.

Right now, I have been reorganizing the music files I have as of March 10, 2013 and I'm organizing them such so that I can treat them like Humpty Dumpty and put them all back together again. Some of them are obviously edited (poorly) already, and I won't use those few, but I will use as many as I can and put together as many as I can in a manner perhaps close to what was originally recorded. It is evident in the variety of ambient audio environments that there were maybe 4 recording session "environments". After that magnum opus is galvanized, maybe I can also throw together some more thematic suites.

Edited by SilentWave
'cause i'm a moron (not really)

Thanks again for your interest.

As I mentioned, I am going through all the SWTOR music files and sorting them so I can basically put them all back together into a massive music track which will probably be around 3 hours in duration. Any pieces that don't fit in the puzzle will be arranged appropriately so that I can have an audio file that consists of all the music from SWTOR. I'm updating the music so that I use the current number of audio files in the game. If any were removed, I'll include those also.

I will call the resulting music "SWTOR Symphony".

Edited by SilentWave

• 2 weeks later...

This is challenging because of the fades and held notes at the end of most of the tracks.

The sound files of shortest durations are fragments that can easily be assembled. There is at least one instance of obvious segmenting that I assembled earlier towards the end of the SWTOR Suite. I think the original recordings typically will need to be slightly modified when there are held notes at the end of sounds, otherwise it will seem like short themes transitioned by held notes and accents like "orchestral hits". I'll still need to do some arranging, but I'm piecing together the segments first and seeing what larger puzzle pieces I have then for the SWTOR symphonic puzzle.

This will not include the cantina band music. Is the cantina band music sold as a compilation? If not, I'd like to include all of that -- maybe I can work up a Cantina Suite and some other concept suites I came up with while auditioning the audio files again.

Too bad i still can't find a music from "Making of Rise of the Hutt Cartel Part 1: Creating Makeb"

It begins from 0:00 to 0:45

Bioware, please add this soundtrack :(

I'll look that up for you.

---

I've obtained music from the games "Star Wars: Empire at War" and "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" (EAW and KOTOR) and I'm also getting music from "Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy" and "Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast". I plan to at least reference these, which often use longer durations of the music than SWTOR does, so that I can come up with an idea of the extents to which the SWTOR music has been snipped from these and other Star Wars music recordings. SWTOR contains a lot of segments of full-length musical works, so I won't be able to put all the music back together into anything really convincing; however, I can still use the music from these other games to get an idea of what is not included in SWTOR's musical excerpts. I still intend to put pieces back together of the excerpts of shorter durations. I'll almost certainly be merely "compositing" another series of suites, though. The pleasant news is that these other games seem to have more descriptive file names for their music, so I can identify what was intended as a "sith theme" and a "republic theme", giving me more details about these kinds of things, like which music fits with which planet.

Actually, I just bought the 2013 Star Wars pack through Steam. I already own four of those games, but now they'll be organized through Steam also, and I can check out all the Star Wars music from all these games also: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/25772/

Edited by SilentWave

Here is the selection you requested from that YouTube video.

...edit: give me a little bit.

OK. Was there anything in particular you wanted me to do with this music?

--

039D51E3_5496703C1BF6F6BD - .wav format

039D51E3_5496703C1BF6F6BD - .mp3 format

--

I now have probably ~50,000 audio files from my Steam games, and most of that is from Star Wars games. As I thought, some longer durations of the selections SWTOR uses can be heard, but there are also similar excerpts used in other games. The most exciting collection I found so far is with Star Wars: Republic Commando. Some of these games, especially the older ones, have lesser audio sampling rates, which would be very noticeable in a suite including recordings at other sampling rates.

I have some other ideas now besides suites, and suites contain a variety of musical themes. Instead of a suite, I could have a side-by-side collage of similar music tracks from different games. I could do this as a YouTube video. One example would be the closing Star Wars theme, which is an extended in duration compared to the opening theme. I would have some representative picture or gameplay footage from each game while the main theme as used in that game plays, each Star Wars game in sequence. Then again, come to think of it, that could actually be pointless. That calls for experimentation.

I have been converting the audio files into proper .wav format, and some of it is very tricky, and I have had much help from third-party programs that convert between various file formats. Basically, I've been extracting the music files from various Star Wars games and fixing them up, often by hand using a hex editor. I've written my fair share of .bat batch files in this task of compiling all the Star Wars game music I can get my mouse cursor on. I still have to use Goldwave or some similar program like VGMStream to convert about 30,000 more audio files from their compressed format to a nice 'ol linear Pulse Code Module (PCM) "chunkify me, cap'n" RIFF-boxed format. Sounds like Captain Crunch, I mean, Captain Chunk, is Microsoft's favorite cereal.

---

I'm updating the music so that I use the current number of audio files in the game.

There are several hundred additional music tracks compared to those in the March 2013 version of SWTOR.

Edited by SilentWave

• 2 weeks later...

It occurs to me that I may not be subscribed to SWTOR for certain periods of time, which means during those times, I will not have posting privileges at this forum. Therefore, I will be using another forum (also) for sharing my musical efforts.

This thread regarding SWTOR music suites and my related musical efforts, including any related requests and discussions, will be held at this web site: http://unsc.galaxyverge.com/ , in particular, in this topic: http://unsc.galaxyverge.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=66. Please check that location for updates to this topic. That forum is for another game community with which I am presently more involved. I apologize for the inconvenience of diverging this topic there, but I frankly do not have enough money to be indefinitely subscribed to SWTOR, and I don't want to be left stranded at the bus stop again. Thank you for understanding.

Edited by SilentWave