Computer help needed

Tekell

I have an Acer Aspire x1200:

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireX1200/AspireX1200sp2.shtml#

and I was wondering if there is any way I could upgrade the power and video card to a better one. If not I am also getting a computer that a family member doesn't use any more and it was custom built with a Asrock motherboard, 4 gigs of memory, dual core 5200 or close to it, 400 watt power i think, and a Radeon x1900 GT graphics card. What would be a good graphics card to upgrade to?

right off the bat I can tell you have a dual core amd X2 i'd recommend you get amd x4 965 black edition. Your memory is dd2 i'd recommend a dd3. and you power supply watt is ridiculously weak but thats very common when buying a prebuilt computer

edit- i don't care for grammar

Edited by lovelybucksy

right off the bat I can tell you have a dual core amd X2 i'd recommend you get amd x4 965 black edition. Your memory is dd2 i'd recommend a dd3. and you power supply watt is ridiculously weak but thats very common when buying a prebuilt computer

edit- i don't care for grammar

Is this for the acer? Could you post links and would the components fit in the case?

Eh dimensions mean nothing to me lol Not good with that kind of stuff.

Hopefully you are not in a rush to know all this right now but i'm on the phone right now so i'll let you know the specs tomorrow night. sorry it'll give me time to tell you the best solutions

Ok and all i know is that it is smaller than previous computers I have had.

as far as the asrock motherboard i'd need to know what kind it is but I assume you won't be able to find that out. Lucky thing is the 400 watt should be alright, for what you have at the moment. The thing with power supply's is that you don't need a lot of watts unless you have some killer machine with highest stuff.

Alright right now the Acer's motherboard has a video card on it, which is Nvidia which is a company i LOVE. However the Radeon x1900 GT graphics card is definitely better than the on board video card on the Acer's motherboard and from the looks of it you are able to put it on that motherboard. (looked it up for you)

Now if you want a better video card than the radeon you will need to upgrade your cpu. There is a computer term called bottlenecking. What it means is if you have a weak cpu (the amd chip) but a strong graphics card, you wont be getting the full benefit of that graphics card and you just defeated the purpose of buying a stronger one. You need to have both pretty strong, but that also means you MAY need a strong motherboard.

I actually owned the Acer X 1200 when I first got this game... you CAN upgrade the graphics card... BUT you will have to modify the case (as in cut it) because its so small that most cards are too wide to fit in it. Honestly even after that the CPU and RAM are so slow that it bottlenecks the speed anyway. I went out and spent about 600 bucks building a 6 core AMD processor with 8 gigs RAM and a Solid State Drive on a ASUS board all in a new case... I already had a Graphics card and power supply so all in all about 800 bucks or so for a sweet set up that runs the game on max graphics. The Acer X 1200 will hold up for a while with a new Graphic Card and PS... but like I said you need to physically alter the case and it runs very hot with more stuff crammed in it, so expect a lot of crashes and shorter lifespan of the hard drive / CPU.

I actually owned the Acer X 1200 when I first got this game... you CAN upgrade the graphics card... BUT you will have to modify the case (as in cut it) because its so small that most cards are too wide to fit in it. Honestly even after that the CPU and RAM are so slow that it bottlenecks the speed anyway. I went out and spent about 600 bucks building a 6 core AMD processor with 8 gigs RAM and a Solid State Drive on a ASUS board all in a new case... I already had a Graphics card and power supply so all in all about 800 bucks or so for a sweet set up that runs the game on max graphics. The Acer X 1200 will hold up for a while with a new Graphic Card and PS... but like I said you need to physically alter the case and it runs very hot with more stuff crammed in it, so expect a lot of crashes and shorter lifespan of the hard drive / CPU.

Then do you think that it will run games like skyrim and dragon age 1&2 with at least console graphics?