Why Bioware should never do another Double XP.

TylerAcalan

Dusk.

Or at least that's what it felt like on our Squad's hopes as we entered the Tomb of Voda-Kressh for the 4th time. 3 assaults, 3 wipes.

All thanks to an inept healer who wouldn't run when told to run and kept getting killed by the dark spirits.

We held out as long as we could. Killing the followers but the Prophet was just too strong. His DoT's? Powerful. His spirits? Unbeatable. It couldn't be done without a healer but none answered the call.

Just when it seemed like all was lost. An unlikely Hero emerged.

He'd been laughed at. Call inept. "The worst companion ever and I with he had an off switch." But we were desperate. "Give him a chance. Not like it's going to hurt anything. We'll bug out after a good laugh." Said the Squad Leader.

The laughter was never heard.

Instead the sound of jaws hit the floor.

C2-N2, the ship droid with no purpose but to grind crafting mats, stepped up to the plate and healed the **** out of the tired squad. His heals? Never ending. His cleansing? The evil DoT's never stood a chance.

"We got the Boss this time!" The squad crowed, renewed by the droid putting all his might into holding the team alive. They loosed everything they had. Invincible by the "Worst Companion Ever."

Dusk fell. This time in the eyes of the boss as the Tank landed a solid Stockstrike into the Prophet's face.

And standing there surrounded by cheering players, clad in his Panted Target appearance mod, stood C2. Waiting for his Master's next order.

And the Galaxy stood still that day. The day a C2-N2 saved it.

-Dedicated to the C2-N2 who delivered us from that dark Tomb and out healed a player.

Okay. Perhaps I'm a little jaded by the day I just had and this was a great way to end it.

"It's a PuG *******. You should know better then to PuG since the quality of PuG's are crap." You say. Sure. I should know better.

But when none of your friends are on and you want to work on leveling. You've got nowhere else to turn. I don't know about you but from what I've seen, the quality has gone further down hill following Double XP weekends.

Again, call me jaded, point and laugh at me for not having a social life and no friends in the game to call on at the time, but this is a thing that happened.

When a Ship droid saves an FP. You know you've reached an all new low in the quality of players out there.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the fact that the ship droid was a better healer is very bad, I don't think double XP is the issue. I think that healer would have been bad whatever happened.

Also I love those weekends - it's nice to over-level and be able to skip bonus missions that I'm not fond of.

I agree...bads will be bad. Some will learn, some won't because they don't care or are incapable.

I've had similar experiences in lower-level flashpoints with tanks and ended up having my tank comp tank it no problem, which I think is even sadder than the healer example.

This illusion that some have about people not learning their classes because of double XP is astounding.

That bad healer would still be a bad healer, it would just take him longer to get there.

And what about all those people who know how to play a healer and want to level up a 2nd, 3rd or even a 10th healer?

Do they have to suffer through the sidequests and planetary quests again just to spare you that one bad healer that will eventually get there anyway?

Don't blame the double xp, blame the fact that some people are crap at playing.

People who can't understand teamwork, tactics or the subtle differences between playing a class solo and grouped, are always going to be that way.

Whether you have double experience or not, the entire game is designed around leveling solo to 55. Most, and I mean 99%, will not group during that time and it has nothing to do with double experience.

I like double experience simply because I've leveled enough characters that repeating the same content anymore is going to drive me insane, but it doesn't contribute to idiots in groups.

Edited by darkov

Very amusing story.

While I see your point, I don't think no more double XP will fix it. Rested XP, XP boosts and legacy XP bonus still allow for pretty fast leveling, and out-leveling the content. We'll still end up with HP tanks, two-button dps and dps healers.

Maybe people should only be allowed to join endgame group finder content after passing a DPS/heal/tank challenge like the ones in the Dread Master Raptus fight in Dread Palace ops. As in, flesh out the "Introduction to Group Finder" mission and make it a real introduction and a test of basic gear/skill readiness.

Very amusing story.

While I see your point, I don't think no more double XP will fix it. Rested XP, XP boosts and legacy XP bonus still allow for pretty fast leveling, and out-leveling the content. We'll still end up with HP tanks, two-button dps and dps healers.

Maybe people should only be allowed to join endgame group finder content after passing a DPS/heal/tank challenge like the ones in the Dread Master Raptus fight in Dread Palace ops. As in, flesh out the "Introduction to Group Finder" mission and make it a real introduction and a test of basic gear/skill readiness.

Amen. Not too long ago I had a tank in Cadimimu HM who refused to taunt and we told him numerous times that he was going to get us killed. his response was "I know what my group can handle" Pfft, next pull, wipe. Vote kick, pull out Treek and finished the FP. There is something wrong when you can be better replaced by a companion.

This illusion that some have about people not learning their classes because of double XP is astounding.

That bad healer would still be a bad healer, it would just take him longer to get there.

And what about all those people who know how to play a healer and want to level up a 2nd, 3rd or even a 10th healer?

Do they have to suffer through the sidequests and planetary quests again just to spare you that one bad healer that will eventually get there anyway?

Still the amount of awful in queues increases proportionally to the amount of bonus XP gained, multiplied by the Awful Gear coefficient. Seen people in Maelstrom running in unmodded Athiss/Hammer gear.

Right here. Ultimately bads are going to be bad. I understand the argument that the percentage of bads goes up with double-xp ... but I don't agree with it. With NO xp increase, a host of players were level 50 within early access of game launch. And yes, there were bads in that first group too.

This game does not require ANY skill or thought to level up. There will always be players that cannot shift from single player tactics to group tactics. It's just the nature of the beast. I love this game, but like so many others, there is virtually no incentive to grouping while leveling up.

Not a double XP issue... PuGs were always same, there was almost every PuG a brain dead player jump on.

Mostly DPS but time to time there is a healer or tank that doesn't give a banta crap about group and play... last time (before a week ... near a month after DXP) we PuGed TC HM with newbe off tank (comm 69s) that after 5 minutes explanation and show how to arrange and use Iso5 buff decided to show how good it is via stealing boss from me ... leaving adds to pray on DPS assigned to kill them.

Fun part was that with 2nd healer and 1 more DPS on ads with agro rotation was able to burn them nice and we make it (I was thinking leaving him on boss but after taunt he was melting like snow in August even with buff).

When exited I just asked why newbe ignored all explanation and OPS announcements - I got angry answer to not bash him after a success.

Good look on those next pugs with him...

Edited by morfius

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Where would you get the idea that double xp causes this? Because you level slightly faster? I hate to tell you, but if you're a sub you already level hecka quick without double xp.

While the fact that the ship droid was a better healer is very bad, I don't think double XP is the issue. I think that healer would have been bad whatever happened.

This right here.

Double XP events are very nice and should be done more frequently.

Our metrics show the sale of levelling consumables from CM increase by 6000% during double xp and so as our bank account. Sorry to keep you waiting. We are just fine tuning the gap between double xp periods to make it most effective to our wallets. Edited by Banegio

Also I love those weekends - it's nice to over-level and be able to skip bonus missions that I'm not fond of.

Yeah.. there is absolutely zero proof that the root cause here is double xp. OP is just being provocative, and is going to get served by the forum membership on the topic of double xp.... because it is very popular with the players.

as much as I hate double xp, I don't think the issue is it this time. the issue is people leveling up without playing any fps and then start playing fps directly with hard modes.

also, the fastest way of leveling up is playing fps. you don't need to do anything else other than class missions and certainly you don't need double xps but few people do that.

Still the amount of awful in queues increases proportionally to the amount of bonus XP gained, multiplied by the Awful Gear coefficient. Seen people in Maelstrom running in unmodded Athiss/Hammer gear.

Nonsense. Bad players will be bad regardless. Double xp does not make players bad, bad playing makes players bad.

1. Correlation is not causation. Double Bonus XP weekends have about nothing to do with the quality of a player. If anything, a healer will be made worse by solo content, not soloing faster.

2. How many maxed out alts did C2's owner have, because tons of presence in a leveling instance will make a companion fairly uber.