Can there ever be peace with the Empire?

Xilizhra

I once believed this, and my inquisitor does thus far... but I may stop playing her, because I doubt it myself, and can't bring myself to corrupt Ashara.

While I normally advocate for as much coexistence as possible, I don't think the Empire is really capable of it. The political structure is dominated by theocrats indoctrinated into a system of constant aggression, who need to redirect their subordinates' wrath onto other targets to avoid internal power struggles as much as possible (which doesn't eliminate them by any means, thus creating the Empire's biggest weakness and likely the main reason why it will lose). As such, with the structure of the Sith Empire being what it is, either the entire political structure needs to be torn down and replaced with something different, or it just needs to be subsumed into the Republic. There seems to be relatively little that can be salvaged there.

As an aside, I'd also favor annexing Hutt Space if there could ever be a casus belli, because their rights violations are utterly disgusting and they're responsible for far too much organized crime.

On a side note, corrupting Ashara isn't really a thing you have to do. She certainly has problems with the Jedi code regardless, but you can avoid manipulating and/or exposing her to the dark side on Taris if you prefer. I'm not sure how much difference it really makes to her character by comparison, though.

As to your question, no. Not whilst the Sith hold absolute authority.

Edited by Bleeters

Malgus does try to lead a revolution of sorts where aliens are embraced, at least by his supposed regime. He apparently had a vision for a more progressive Empire, he even tries to help you out on Ilum as a Republic player.

I wouldn't put much stock in the Sith Code either, after all they harp on later about the "Rule of Two" though that is broken more often than not. The Sith and the Jedi are both a bunch of hypocrites half the time when dealing with their own "rules."

Edited by DaShuk

Okay, so we're seriously asking the question whether a meaningful peace can be had with a fratricidal, genocidal magocracy that operates under the rule "peace is a lie"?

No. Peace with the Sith Empire is impossible, just like peace with Napoleon or Hitler was impossible. The Empire has to be dismantled and the Sith Order disestablished. No terms except an unconditional and immediate surrender can be accepted.

Malgus does try to lead a revolution of sorts where aliens are embraced, at least by his supposed regime. He apparently had a vision for a more progressive Empire, he even tries to help you out on Ilum as a Republic player.

Let's be clear, here. Malgus fed information to the Republic so that they would defeat one of his primary rivals. Conveniently, since that rival - Arho - was also the head of the Sphere of Military Offense, his death would leave the Imperial military in chaos just in time for Malgus' coup attempt. He got the Republic to do his dirty work; he did not "help it out".

Malgus' whole goal with his New Empire was to create a regime that wiped out his rivals - the ones that he believed were blinkered idiots incapable of intelligently prosecuting a war - and to create a society that better mobilized the manpower and resources available to it. And the whole point of doing this was so that Malgus' Empire would be better able to fight a war with the Republic. There was no room for peace in Malgus' scheme. Why should there have been?

The Jedi are too dead set on exterminating the Sith, and the Sith are too dead set on revengeancing the Jedi. Maybe if the Star Cabal won...

Jedi are not set on externinating the Sith, ancient original Jedi were, but the order at the moment just wants to protect the Republic, if the Sith stopped trying to conquer or destroy the Republic then the Jedi would ignore the Sith.

Jedi are not set on externinating the Sith, ancient original Jedi were, but the order at the moment just wants to protect the Republic, if the Sith stopped trying to conquer or destroy the Republic then the Jedi would ignore the Sith.

Nice rewriting of history there. How many Republic battleships are protecting Revan's genocide factory? How many Jedi are defending Revan as he plots to commit (to use his own offsider's words) "97.8% efficient genocide" against the entire population of the Empire, including any individual with even a trace of Sith genetic material?

The Jedi of today are just as set upon genocide as their ancestors were. And worse, they're hypocrites.

To answer the OP's question: maybe. The warmongers on the Council - Baras, Decimus etc. - are all dead by various means, and the three remaining senior Councillors - Mortis, Marr and Vowrawn - are more interested in keeping the Empire intact than in fighting a war they cannot win. Vowrawn in particular is a highly progressive leader by Sith standards and carries a lot of weight with the council. A Republic approach to Vowrawn may be able to broker at least a truce, which can become a longer-term peace.

Edited by Highborne

Yes, in approximately 3700 years when the Sith Lord Palpatine is long dead and the "Empire" is run by "mere mortals" rather than Sith Lords (and those who call themselves Sith and Darths and Dark Lords are little more than tyrants with delusion of grandeur), the "Galactic Imperial Remanent" will join the Republic in a new "Galactic Alliance."

Other than that...no way.

Yes, in approximately 3700 years when the Sith Lord Palpatine is long dead and the "Empire" is run by "mere mortals" rather than Sith Lords (and those who call themselves Sith and Darths and Dark Lords are little more than tyrants with delusion of grandeur), the "Galactic Imperial Remanent" will join the Republic in a new "Galactic Alliance."

Which irks me, because the Sith at least have a different perspective on the Force that at least thinking about and observing could do good in breaking the Jedi's stagnation. The non-Sith portions of the Empire have nothing uniquely useful about them at all.

How many Jedi are defending Revan as he plots to commit (to use his own offsider's words) "97.8% efficient genocide" against the entire population of the Empire, including any individual with even a trace of Sith genetic material?

As many as there need to be to pace the flashpoint between bosses.

Revan has never been aligned with the greater goals of the Jedi Order. He entered the Mandalorian Wars against their explicit commands, taking a number of Jedi with him. Is it so hard to believe that he did the same with the Foundry, especially since he probably never even talked to the Council (after all, he had essentially been declared a heretic after the Battle of Rakata Prime. He was left alone only because he agreed not to spread his heresy among the rest of the Jedi) after his rescue from the Maelstrom.

Revan's actions are not a barometer for the Jedi order or the Republic any more than the Emperor's actions are a barometer for the Sith Order or the Empire. I guarantee you had the Dark Council grasped what the Emperor's little cult was doing, they'd have put a stop to it themselves.

Which irks me, because the Sith at least have a different perspective on the Force that at least thinking about and observing could do good in breaking the Jedi's stagnation. The non-Sith portions of the Empire have nothing uniquely useful about them at all.

Are you kidding? The Sith are crazy murderers, and like to kill puppies. "A different perspective on the Force" is like saying Hitler had a different perspective on how to run a country.

I like that idea, its reasonable, and possible, like said run by Mortals, and something new and coherent coming out of it, in a new way.

:rak_03:

Sha'al: There will be peace with the Empire, after you are MY slaves.:cool:

Jagoss: There will be peace with the Empire, after the Jedi are all dead.:mad:

Hasina: There will be peace with the Empire, after Imperial Intelligence has overthrown the Dark Council.;)

Sargonas: There will be peace with the Empire, at which point not much will change because as long as there are 2 sentient beings in this galaxy, one will pay through the nose to get the other killed.:sy_bountyhunter:

• 2 weeks later...
When the last Imperial lies dying at our feet!

Sounds like a droid I know...

Peace with the Empire? Sure! You can do that!

All you have to do is beat them down so bad that they don't even have electricity and thus can't attack you.

You'll have peace for a good century or so. Then you'll have to bash them again.

Think of it this way: The Empire is Hitler, Stalin, and Mao rolled up into one not quite lovable bundle. The only two ways you can have peace with them is to be conquered by them or utterly crush them.

Mostly just Hitler, really. The extent to which the Sith Empire tallies with Nazi Germany is really quite remarkable.

Probably because it was based strongly on the Galactic Empire, which in turn was more directly based on that. The Sith Empire, however, seems to look on actual death camp builders as dubious extremists, which is... a step up?

Probably because it was based strongly on the Galactic Empire, which in turn was more directly based on that. The Sith Empire, however, seems to look on actual death camp builders as dubious extremists, which is... a step up?

Nah. Well, the Imps of the trilogy were, yeah, based on the Nazis in a lot of visual ways, but I was talking more about the actual mechanics of how the Sith Empire and Nazi Germany worked as regimes and the broad outline of the way the two powers pursued war. And while genocide isn't as integral to the Sith as it was to the Nazis after 1941, it's still around and very much a Thing. I wouldn't say it's swept under the rug so much as the more fastidious members of the Imperial elite try to tolerate it while pretending it's not happening.

Nah. Well, the Imps of the trilogy were, yeah, based on the Nazis in a lot of visual ways, but I was talking more about the actual mechanics of how the Sith Empire and Nazi Germany worked as regimes and the broad outline of the way the two powers pursued war. And while genocide isn't as integral to the Sith as it was to the Nazis after 1941, it's still around and very much a Thing. I wouldn't say it's swept under the rug so much as the more fastidious members of the Imperial elite try to tolerate it while pretending it's not happening.

Well, the Nazis were never the sole power around, unlike the Galactic Empire, so I suppose there's a difference there. Although I think the internal politics and love of superweapons in the newer Empire are still indicative of the Nazi regime.