Darth Malgus

AnimalMotherr

His master was mortally wounded, disarmed, and paying more attention to the Sith Fleet than Malgus. Not much of a challenge.

Nobody was talking about it being a challenge for him, they were just noting the fact that it was a cold thing to do yet, it is the hallmark of a Sith Apprentice's graduation.

There's actually something to be said about Vader's mask. They have tried numerous times to capture the same effect it had, Revan, Nihilus, and now Jadus, Baras, and Kallig. You didn't have to see the hate and anger in his expression to be intimidated, the fact that you couldn't see the expression on his face as he Force Choked you to death was far more intimidating. It's almost like looking into the face of a sociopath as they repeatedly stick a knife in you, you kind of wish there was some sort of emotion there. At least then you could put some rhyme or reason to it.

Frankly, Vader's mask was too plastic looking....with those big bug eyes. Revan's was rustic, more real looking. I prefer pre-suit Vader. The flowing robes, solely visible yellow eyes (especially in that epic balcony shot), etc.

Revan remains king of Darth Mask Island.

Frankly, Vader's mask was too plastic looking....with those big bug eyes. Revan's was rustic, more real looking. I prefer pre-suit Vader. The flowing robes, solely visible yellow eyes (especially in that epic balcony shot), etc.

Hehe, I really find Vader's mask silly. Didn't want to say this, people could get mad, but it really looks like from some toy set for kids 4 years old and younger. :D

Reminds me on Ninja Turtles mask I used to have as a kid - plastic.

There's actually something to be said about Vader's mask. They have tried numerous times to capture the same effect it had, Revan, Nihilus, and now Jadus, Baras, and Kallig. You didn't have to see the hate and anger in his expression to be intimidated, the fact that you couldn't see the expression on his face as he Force Choked you to death was far more intimidating. It's almost like looking into the face of a sociopath as they repeatedly stick a knife in you, you kind of wish there was some sort of emotion there. At least then you could put some rhyme or reason to it.

I agree, there is no more intimidating figure than Vader, the effect was watered down by years of pop culture jokes, etc..

But when you read his EU lore, the man was the most terrifying figure in the galaxy, no enemy of the Empire survived a confrontation with Vader if he went in for the kill, he is often imitated as you said, but no mask will ever be as intimidating and iconic as Vader's, no one in the EU even comes close, second best? Nihilus.

You do realize you are basing that on a prop from 1977. It WAS made out of plastic. The effect was still there if you were actually alive during the time the movies frst came out. Judging by the way you describe it, you weren't even alive in the 80's at all, let alone early enough to have seen any of the Original Trilogy in its original theatrical release.

Revan is a joke compared to the intimidation factor described for that Vader had. Hearing anything that sounded like his breathing alone was enough to make some grown men cry. Revan didn't have any such presence.

Since when are Darths meant to look 'pretty' ? Have I missed a key floor in Star Wars all together ?

I think what the OP is unsuccessfully attempting to convey is that he doesn't see Malgus as an Iconic Character he wishes to emulate. He, I believe, is trying to say that Malgus isn't as cool looking as others.

His biggest mistake is that he thinks his opinion to be more than just opinion. He comes off as not being able to fathom the idea that people would disagree with his assessment of Malgus' aesthetitcs.

EDIT: As evidenced by the fact he hasn't submited a single post since his original in this thread.

Edited by Lewisgil

You do realize you are basing that on a prop from 1977. It WAS made out of plastic. The effect was still there if you were actually alive during the time the movies frst came out. Judging by the way you describe it, you weren't even alive in the 80's at all, let alone early enough to have seen any of the Original Trilogy in its original theatrical release.

Revan is a joke compared to the intimidation factor described for that Vader had. Hearing anything that sounded like his breathing alone was enough to make some grown men cry. Revan didn't have any such presence.

You're right! Revan didn't sound like a dying, asthmatic Hutt with a light bright ATM on his chest! You win lol. Vader's mask was obviously supposed to be metal, give that impression in the movies AT LEAST, it failed, as again, it looked too plastic.

Now the rest of Vader's armor, cape, etc were decent, but sorry, they still pail in comparison to Revan's epic, flowing Dark Lord robe, mask for prior reasons, etc.

Looks like the joke's on Vader, or perhaps you friend.

You're right! Revan didn't sound like a dying, asthmatic Hutt with a light bright ATM on his chest! You win lol. Vader's mask was obviously supposed to be metal, give that impression in the movies AT LEAST, it failed, as again, it looked too plastic.

Now the rest of Vader's armor, cape, etc were decent, but sorry, they still pail in comparison to Revan's epic, flowing Dark Lord robe, mask for prior reasons, etc.

Looks like the joke's on Vader, or perhaps you friend.

As stated previously, it is a movie prop from 1977 that you are comparing to pixels rendered on a screen. Of course Revan's is going to look less plastic to us.

Let's see, the image that is supposed to be protrayed.

Vader's mask was from an Ancient Sith Wardroid. It was meant to convey the sense of looking into an emotionless face. That objective was achieved.

Your attempt to reduce his respirator with your jokes about it being the signs of asthma only further show your immaturity. I never said it was designed to instill fear. I said that something that even sounded like it was enough to make grown men cry. Meaning, people were so afraid of Vader that anything that even reminded them of him was enough to scare them.

The sense that was conveyed by Revan's look was not one of fear or intimidation but one that made him seem more than just a mere man. People were intimidated when they saw displays of his power. They were not intimidated by the mention fo his name or by sight alone. Revan could walk into a cantina in full garb and people MIGHT have known who he was but they still would have gone about their business. Vader could walk into the same cantina and people would start shaking in their boots for fear of their life.

Revan looks like a Samurai. Darth Vader looks like Death Incarnate.

So, young buck, take your pitiful little video game character and shut your mouth when grown folks are talking about actual Icons.

Edited by Lewisgil

Your attempt to reduce his respirator with your jokes about it being the signs of asthma only further show your immaturity. I never said it was designed to instill fear. I said that something that even sounded like it was enough to make grown men cry. Meaning, people were so afraid of Vader that anything that even reminded them of him was enough to scare them.

LOL you can stop right there as you just pwned yourself. Little need to read the rest of your post. Epic contradiction. You 1st claim that it wasn't designed to instill fear, then turn around & do a 180. Pretty sure Vader's mask ITSELF qualifies as anything that would remind someone of the wearer. Hence it was supposed to instill fear. This is supposed to be conventional wisdom. He was a Dark Lord. Everything on him was SUPPOSED to instill fear.

But that mask largely failed, & so, buckaroo, have you lol.

Have a nice day.

LOL you can stop right there as you just pwned yourself. Little need to read the rest of your post. Epic contradiction. You 1st claim that it wasn't designed to instill fear, then turn around & do a 180. Pretty sure Vader's mask ITSELF qualifies as anything that would remind someone of the wearer. Hence it was supposed to instill fear. This is supposed to be conventional wisdom. He was a Dark Lord. Everything on him was SUPPOSED to instill fear.

But that mask largely failed, & so, buckaroo, have you lol.

Have a nice day.

Reading comprehension goes a long way. I was speaking about the breathing, not the mask. Good try though.

just as a side note ;

when you first see vader in episode 4, there is a huge firefight in the corridor, rep troops fall back, and he walks in. hes not waving a light saber, he doesnt need one, he KNOWS hes not going to have any trouble with anyone, thats why hes better. hes not violent, hes menacing, thats more important ;)

as to game NPCs, most people were excited when they got revans mask. some people want to look like malgus, but surely its cooler to end up looking -better- than he does ? so you surpass him rather than emulate him ?

I still think Malgus is epic! :confused:.

I simply find everything he does epic: the sound of his voice, his looks, his smile, his movements, his story, his love for Eleena, his name...:cool::rolleyes:

I love it because he really represents the Human Sith Lord. :)

I find that vader mask is a little cheasy... BUT the movie was mad in 77 what do you expect! if the movie was made today I would expect the mask to have the same basic design but look a little more realistic. But Darth vader had the intiminaition factor of Malgus and the reputation of the Emperor Wrath.

Malgus is more intimidating than Vader ever was because you can SEE the evil in Malgus' eyes, you can SEE the hate and anger. He is ugly, for sure, but I dont think Sith Lords really give a damn about their appearance.

Speak for yourself. I'm still deciding what my Sorceror is going to look like for endgame, and I got her to level 50 last week.

• 7 months later...

I think Darth Malgus is great (especially in the 3 cinematic trailers). In fact Malgus is one of my favourite SIth characters in SW universe. The only thing I dislike about his character is post-Ilum storyline.

Since you mentioned KOTOR2, Nihilus and Sion were stupid and ridiculous story-wise (their over-exaggerated power and abilities). Similar case is Sith Emperor in SWTOR. I just refuse to accept this ridiculous crap about Sith Emperor being 1000 years old almighty Sith. In my head canon I stick to theroy proposed in Annihilation novel by Gnost-Dural that the Sith Emperor is actually simply the most powerful dark council member at given time.

Edited by Path-x

Well, look of a character is just a matter of pereferences. To me, before his jlungs and jaw got a little bit cooked he looked decent. Now, when he is wearing his respirator I think that he is the best looking Sith ever made ( maybe on par with Starkiller ), his pale face covered with wrinkles and eyes reflecting his corruption and dedication to Sith code look very indimidating.

I still need to read Deceived.

Fact: The above poster was full of it. Nihilus and Sion > Malgus. Just had to get that off my chest.

Also Malgus = Malak in so many ways, but stronger.

Anyway, I think he definitely should have either won on Alderaan (the whole thing with Satele blocking his lightsaber with her bare hands just doesn't work...) or died there.

Still, I finally did a run through of False Emperor last night, and I was the only one who took Malgus's side on the aliens-in-the-empire issue. For that at least, he's cool, but nothing special compared to Revan, Malak, Nihilus, Sion, Traya or the Emperor.

Read the novel 'Deceived' and you'll probably rethink your opinion on Malgus. He's one of the most interesting characters in the SW universe and his story of finding love in the most unusual way, and then ends up losing it, made me look at him with very different eyes. Anakin's fall to the Dark side is nothing compared to the tragedy which leads up to Malgus losing any Light he still had in him.

Read the novel 'Deceived' and you'll probably rethink your opinion on Malgus. He's one of the most interesting characters in the SW universe and his story of finding love in the most unusual way, and then ends up losing it, made me look at him with very different eyes. Anakin's fall to the Dark side is nothing compared to the tragedy which leads up to Malgus losing any Light he still had in him.

I wouldnt call it tragedy, it was his choice, he cared much more for power and Sith code than a petty romances so he chose to cut loose end on his path to greatness. Definately iconic character for Sith who overcomed silly emotions. Both Anakin and Palpatine were in a different situation, one got crazied a little bit and second wasnt into his own family much but Malgus, he chose to

cut down that useless piece of Twi'lek flesh