Order 66

TheLaggyOne

I liked it, but I wsh they would have shown more footage of the Clones killing Jedi. We got to see a couple of the Masters on the Council fall, but that was really it. I feel like what they wanted to do with the Order 66 scene was mainly show the surprise, but after 4-5 different scenes where a single Jedi was killed it kinda got boring.

There was a nice aerial shot of the Temple battle, and then Anakin before he killed the Younglings, which was left to our imagination for how he did his killing.

It would have really cemented Anakin's role as a very powerful Sith Lord if we had seen more of him battling other Jedi (aside from what Obi-Wan and Yoda watch in the holo video). Other than that, and the massacre on Mustafar we don't get a look at Anakin's cold-hearted killing ability as Darth Vader.

Edited by LrdStryfe

I liked it, but I wsh they would have shown more footage of the Clones killing Jedi. We got to see a couple of the Masters on the Council fall, but that was really it. I feel like what they wanted to do with the Order 66 scene was mainly show the surprise, but after 4-5 different scenes where a single Jedi was killed it kinda got boring.

There was a nice aerial shot of the Temple battle, and then Anakin before he killed the Younglings, which was left to our imagination for how he did his killing.

It would have really cemented Anakin's role as a very powerful Sith Lord if we had seen more of him battling other Jedi (aside from what Obi-Wan and Yoda watch in the holo video). Other than that, and the massacre on Mustafar we don't get a look at Anakin's cold-hearted killing ability as Darth Vader.

Tbh pretty sure I read somewhere, ROTS was suppose to be far longer then what it actually was they probably cut a lot to save time. So I guess when they re-release the movies again they'll add all that footage in.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

After reading the DH comic series, I really fell in love with Aayla Secura's character. She deserved a much better death than she got >.<

At least Quinlan Vos survived. I'm waiting for DH to do more with him and his wife.

It's suppose to be a dramatic and emotional scene. (might not have worked for some though)

So prolonging the massacre of the Jedi would really have ruined it.

Edited by Seductivpancakes

Reminds me of the stupidity of the Prequel writing.

One minute Anakin is a Jedi, then the same day he is off killing children??!! I just don't get there. Also how can there be a redemption after you have slaugtered children?

The Emperor should have been the one to kill the younglings, also Anakin's turn to the Darkside should have happened at the end of the second film, not some instantaneous change halfway through aprt 3.

Reminds me of the stupidity of the Prequel writing.

One minute Anakin is a Jedi, then the same day he is off killing children??!! I just don't get there. Also how can there be a redemption after you have slaugtered children?

The Emperor should have been the one to kill the younglings, also Anakin's turn to the Darkside should have happened at the end of the second film, not some instantaneous change halfway through aprt 3.

Just goes to prove how powerful the dark side is. His new master, Palpatine, the only one who can teach Anakin how to save his love gave him a order. So he did what he was told.

Having Anakin kill the younglings was a genius ploy to make sure Anakin was ready to be his apprentice. Sort of a test and way to plunge him deeper in to the dark side.

Its more like he has had one foot in the dark side and one foot in the light side in Episode 3. You don't need to jump at that point to change sides. Just pick up the other foot. Compared to episode 2, he already looked worn out throughout the whole film. As if he was tired of being a Jedi and bound by their strict rules.

Just goes to prove how powerful the dark side is. His new master, Palpatine, the only one who can teach Anakin how to save his love gave him a order. So he did what he was told.

Having Anakin kill the younglings was a genius ploy to make sure Anakin was ready to be his apprentice. Sort of a test and way to plunge him deeper in to the dark side.

Its more like he has had one foot in the dark side and one foot in the light side in Episode 3. You don't need to jump at that point to change sides. Just pick up the other foot. Compared to episode 2, he already looked worn out throughout the whole film. As if he was tired of being a Jedi and bound by their strict rules.

Not to mention he was already inching closer and closer to the darkside throughout EP 2 and 3 anyway, so its not really much of a stretch in how he turned so quickly it was over the course of 2 movies he turned not just 1.

I don't agree at all, If we see him properly turn to the Dark side at the end of Episode 2 somehow then it is much more believable that we see him slaughtering Children halfway through Episode 3 months later.

It is not a gradual change at all.

How about a scene where the Emperor slaughters the children with Anakin looking on bowing his head. That would be a scene that makes much more sense.

I don't agree at all, If we see him properly turn to the Dark side at the end of Episode 2 somehow then it is much more believable that we see him slaughtering Children halfway through Episode 3 months later.

How about a scene where the Emperor slaughters the children with Anakin looking on bowing his head. That would be a scene that makes much more sense.

Then you should just blame that as a not enough movie time. Unless you wanted Episode 3 to be as long as Return of the King or maybe the hints of his dissatisfaction with the Jedi was too subtle for you.

Or you could read the novels and comics that take place in between episodes 2 and 3 which describes his struggles with his growing darkness.

Its a test of loyalty and a way to corruption. What better way to ensure that Anakin is truly loyal to him by having him kill his fellow Jedi as well as children?

Then you should just blame that as a not enough movie time. Unless you wanted Episode 3 to be as long as Return of the King or maybe the hints of his dissatisfaction with the Jedi was too subtle for you.

Or you could read the novels and comics that take place in between episodes 2 and 3 which describes his struggles with his growing darkness.

Its a test of loyalty and a way to corruption. What better way to ensure that Anakin is truly loyal to him by having him kill his fellow Jedi as well as children?

My main point was one moment we have Anakin reporting the Emperor To Mace Windu, then granted he stops Windu killing the Emperor( I can fully understand that) but THEN there is a very big leap for him to go ahead virtually the same day WITHIN THE MOVIE start cutting children to pieces.

The sort of change that would happen within to start killing children is not a quick one.

Like I said, he did it all for his love, Padme.

He already knew from early in the film that she's going to die and since Yoda pretty much told him to deal with it, he had to make a choice to save probably the only thing that matters to him in life.

I think you are just digging you heels in.

So what if he loves Padme? what does killing little kids have to do with saving Padme?

Stopping Windu yes I can get there but "to save Padme I must now go kill Children"??

Doesn't make any sense.

Okay really? This is simple.

The Jedi can't save padme, but Palpatine can or he lies that he can and Anakin believes him.

So now that he betrayed the Jedi, the only person in the whole galaxy that can change destiny and save his love is Palpatine, so he did as he was told, so Palpatine can teach him how to save Padme.

Here's a better example, you steal bread to feed your starving family. Its wrong and criminal, but you're doing to to save your family from starvation which usually, leads to death.

Its not that hard.

Okay really? This is simple.

The Jedi can't save padme, but Palpatine can or he lies that he can and Anakin believes him.

So now that he betrayed the Jedi, the only person in the whole galaxy that can change destiny and save his love is Palpatine, so he did as he was told, so Palpatine can teach him how to save Padme.

Here's a better example, you steal bread to feed your starving family. Its wrong and criminal, but you're doing to to save your family from starvation which usually, leads to death.

Its not that hard.

Stealing bread to feed your starving family, yes. Killing a bunch of children to feed your starving family, no. There's a little bit of difference. You're *really* stretching here.

Oh, and for the record, I can't say the scene got me choked up at all. These movies were godawful terrible, and I just wanted them to end. By the time Order 66 went out, my reaction was more along the lines of, "thank God it's almost over."

Edited by georgemattson

Stealing bread to feed your starving family, yes. Killing a bunch of children to feed your starving family, no. There's a little bit of difference. You're *really* stretching here.

This.

I think you are just a stalwart defender of the Prequels no matter how nonsensical the plot and writing is.

It isnt killing children to feed your starving family.

It is killing children so a man will give you food to remove your family from poverty and place them in a happy place (remove the jedis = no hiding love. follow palpatine = same her life).

How about this, it was suppose to symbolize that Palpatine a sith lord held the promises of saving someone that Anakin wanted to live.

Palpatine= The devil

Anakin makes a deal with the devil to save his loved one, in which he pretty much sold his soul to Palpatine. (Pretty much Anakin just did away with all his jedi teachings in one stroke) When you make a deal with the devil, its instant you don't question a greater power especially one that says they can save a loved one.

WiGhTkNiGhtt something to also remember is that as someone already pointed out years go by between E2 and E3. And then at least several months pass during the events of E3 - Padme says shes pregnant at the beginning of E3 and is not even showing any signs and by the end of the movie she's giving birth. That is a pretty good indication that we are not talking about days or weeks but months; months during which Anakin has persistent nightmares of Padme's death, where he is probably having conversations with Palpatine like the one in the theater, where he is becoming more and more disillusioned with the Jedi order and their restrictions on attachment, etc etc etc.

As Seductivpancakes points out the changes in Anakin's behavior is subtle. He is toeing, and sometimes crossing, the line between light and dark, but up until the confrontation between Windu and Palpatine, Anakin always finds his way back to the light. However, that confrontation gives Anakin the final shove to the dark side (IMO it was not only Palpatine's doing, Windu's solution to the problem also caused turmoil in Anakin).

Something else to think about, look how fast Luke goes to the dark side at the end of E6 - it turns out that it is the only way he can beat Vader. In addition, think about how fast Vader turns back to the light when the Emperor is killing Luke.

Lastly, all the movies (even E4-E6) sometimes do a poor job of indicating how much time has really passed. Do you really think that the hyperspace travel between Tattooine and Alderan in E4 took five minutes? There was even a thread on these forums not too long ago about E5 when Han and Leia decide to head to Bespin (Cloud City) and how long it took them to get there without Hyperdrive.

My point is that I am with Seductivpancakes on this one, it was not as big a jump to the dark side as you are making it out to be.

murdering children wasnt really a necessary scene in a star wars movie haha, and i agree that the whole "falling to the dark side" aspect was incredibly rushed and sloppy in RotS.

its why i think RotS should have been the three prequel movies, with no TPM or AotC - they just werent necessary. stretching RotS over 3 movies would have given the screenwriters much more time to flesh out a believable, well-written fall from grace.

as it stands now, anakin was just sort of... hornswaggled into the dark side, not seduced by the dark side. he looked more like a dupe rather than a fallen jedi knight.

murdering children wasnt really a necessary scene in a star wars movie haha, and i agree that the whole "falling to the dark side" aspect was incredibly rushed and sloppy in RotS.

its why i think RotS should have been the three prequel movies, with no TPM or AotC - they just werent necessary. stretching RotS over 3 movies would have given the screenwriters much more time to flesh out a believable, well-written fall from grace.

as it stands now, anakin was just sort of... hornswaggled into the dark side, not seduced by the dark side. he looked more like a dupe rather than a fallen jedi knight.

Um...they actually did stretch out Anakin's fall in all of the movies.

EP 1: Leaving his mother at a young age, this puts an emotional strain on him about wanting to free his mother which he goes to Tatooine on his own accord to do so.

EP 2: He kills an entire village of sand people in rage over the death of his mother, this was definitely flirting with the darkside. Later he falls in love with Padme which sets up for EP 3.

EP 3: Against his better judgement and the jedi teaching, he kills an unarmed person(Dooku) then he starts having visions of Padme dying. So in not wanting to lose her like his mother, seeks a way to save his loved one.

Palpatine(the devil) promises that he can give Anakin(a broken, confused man) the power he needs to save her. So its not rushed, if you pay attention you can see that by ROTS in Palpatine's office it makes sense. Anakin was already slowly falling towards the darkside over the course of the 3 movies, until he finally made his choice in helping kill Mace Windu that sealed it.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Not just that--he goes out and kills children without even having any proof that the dark side can rez his wife. No demonstration at all of this power and he's out killing children while his wife is perfectly healthy.

Um...they actually did stretch out Anakin's fall in all of the movies.

EP 1: Leaving his mother at a young age, this puts an emotional strain on him about wanting to free his mother which he goes to Tatooine on his own accord to do so.

EP 2: He kills an entire village of sand people in rage over the death of his mother, this was definitely flirting with the darkside. Later he falls in love with Padme which sets up for EP 3.

EP 3: Against his better judgement and the jedi teaching, he kills an unarmed person(Dooku) then he starts having visions of Padme dying. So in not wanting to lose her like his mother, seeks a way to save his loved one.

Palpatine(the devil) promises that he can give Anakin(a broken, confused man) the power he needs to save her. So its not rushed, if you pay attention you can see that by ROTS in Palpatine's office it makes sense. Anakin was already slowly falling towards the darkside over the course of the 3 movies, until he finally made his choice in helping kill Mace Windu that sealed it.

the first two prequels arent needed to explain his fall to the dark side. it just makes it seem like he was evil from the time he was a kid, and by the time he was 20, he was already a genocidal maniac. it was less of a seduction to the dark side, and more like... the natural events of a disturbed murderer who can't deal with loss who is also friends with satan.

the whole thing just doesn't come off right. the events of the war, coinciding with palpatine actually luring anakin to the dark side, would have felt "better" and could have been done more effectively without episodes 1 and 2. also no kid anakin.

and like it was said above, anakin kills samuel l jackson without knowing if palpatine can actually do anything at all. but getting deeper into this will expand the topic way beyond the scope of this thread.

the first two prequels arent needed to explain his fall to the dark side. it just makes it seem like he was evil from the time he was a kid

I haven't watched Episode 1 In a while, so please correct me If I'm wrong, but Anakin in Episode 1 was extremely kind, and seemed to always want the best for everyone.

He took in Qui-gon and the gang when they were strangers to shelter them from a sandstorm, and put his own life on the line to help them achieve their goal.

and by the time he was 20, he was already a genocidal maniac.

He did not commit genocide, nor was he maniacal. He might have become pretty racist about the Sand People, but come on they are animals. All they have ever been shown to do in the films is attack innocents.

it was less of a seduction to the dark side, and more like... the natural events of a disturbed murderer who can't deal with loss who is also friends with satan.

Apart from killing Sand People een masse, i think Episode 2 portrayed a pretty decent seduction, or at the very least temptation of the Dark Side. Obi-Wan tells Mace, and Yoda that Anakin's abilities have made him arrogant. He does display moments of arrogance, and anger, but he still goes back to the light.

And In the end he defies the Jedi Code, and secretly marries Padme.

the whole thing just doesn't come off right. the events of the war, coinciding with palpatine actually luring anakin to the dark side, would have felt "better" and could have been done more effectively without episodes 1 and 2. also no kid anakin.

It was the point that those events came off somewhat suddenly. The End of the war, Anakin's fall, Order 66, all of these things had probably been planned for decades, so when the time came Sidious knew every move he had to make, step by step.

He let the domino's fall, and It worked.

and like it was said above, anakin kills samuel l jackson without knowing if palpatine can actually do anything at all.

I agree there. He didn't have anything to go on except a Sith Legend told to him by Darth Sidious. He did however know that the Jedi could not do anything to prevent Padmes death. So in the end, when It came down to it, he didn't really have anywhere else to turn but the Dark Side. He acted out of fear, and desperation.

but getting deeper into this will expand the topic way beyond the scope of this thread.

I agree, It's so easy to get sidetracked by good discussions wouldn't you say?

One of the most powerful scenes in the entire saga, in my opinion.

I concur.