Useless Strike....

Jamalzero

So here I am fully augmented (72) Sniper, Insert 3 weak targets on CZ-198 running dailies I go into cover and start up Orbital strike just before the 1st strike went off my UNDERWORLD relic of serendipous assault went off to give even more power to the 3 shots the 2 droids and the 1 humanoid survived the Orbital strike with 3% hp left.......3 WEAK.....WEAK.......3 F***ing WEAK targets can now survive my orbital strike???? im sorry why did this ability get nerfed??? Due to its start up timer of 5 sec, its hardly viable in PvP other than being used as a deterrant to keep people away from you or off a node/door. only an Idiot unless rooted would sit there and let Orbital strike go off on them. In PvP i normally used it it expose Gunslingers/Snipers from cover so they could be yanked/stunned (if entrench was just applied).

It has a 2.5 sec channel to start the ability THEN another 1-2sec to even get the 1st shot off and theres about a .5 sec inbetween each shot giving ample time to G-T-F-O. So with a 2.5 sec start up channel, 1.5 sec start up just to get the first shot off, and it taking a full 3 sec to get all the shots off just to deal 4k is pretty F***ing stupid...... In that 7 second period I could easily get a full rotation off and just not even bother with "useless Strike"... corrosive grenade and frag grenade do more damage together over the 7 sec period than "Useless Strike"

What whinner complained to get this ability nerffed??? Snipers get this ability at 48... troopers/Bounty Hunters get thier sky AOE at 15 and its just as powerful with no start up timer and a much shorter CD (15 sec difference unless youre ENG and you specced into it being 45sec CD as well), smash easily hits at 14k and thats instant! Why i ask, why are you hell bent on nerffing the non-force user classes???????????

My main is my sniper Yuffie-Kisaragi, and ive been playing since beta and through all the changes ive kept my mouth shut mostly because they didnt really affect my lethality tree too much since i choose that tree at start but this is a bit much....

Watch out Bounty hunter mains youre next........

Edited by Jamalzero

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone shop the words 'balance' onto the Russian guy with crazy hair that normally says 'aliens' and you'll have your answer. No one asked for it. The combat team decided it.

You mean the Combat Guy right? There is no team.... All the balancing is done by one individual.

Edited by Essence_of_Light

Its quite sad when my Thermal Grenade does more damage than my XS flyby.

Well, couldn't Corso and co. just load a bunch of thermal 'nades in your freighter and fly around and drop those? That would at least look cool :D

troopers/Bounty Hunters get thier sky AOE at 15 and its just as powerful with no start up timer and a much shorter CD

They get it at level 10 already...

and yeah, my Mercenary, geared in only 58 purples, can finish a group of normal enemies in Black Hole with only one AOE (sometimes, they are left with a little bit of health left, but one more standard attack and they'll be dead), my Operative, geared in 66 purples, takes them to 50% (not sure right now about the numbers) health with one AOE and still requires two more grenades to kill them off (tested it yesterday), unless he got lucky with crits, in that case he only needs one. That's pathetic for a so-called Orbital Strike compared to Death from Above. I'm not asking for DfA to be nerfed, I'd rather have the changes to OS undone. There were other suggestions on how to nerf it that could have been taken.

As a Sorc, I need ca. two AOEs to finish off a group of enemies there (if my memory serves me right), but those are instant and spammable. OS is in such a bad shape now and practically useless in that regard, which is pathetic for a level 48 ability.

It still has a casting time, it still takes some time before the effect begins and it doesn't deal its entire damage right away. I'm better off using my level 4 ability rather than my level 48 ability to deal with groups of enemies.

And it is an Orbital Strike, it's supposed to hit harder than a grenade. If you want to keep it like this, I wish you would rename it.

So while OS is doing damage, you can't do anything else?

Death from Above stops you from doing other things, but fires instantly.

Orbital Strike lets you move while it's firing, but stops you from doing anything while you summon it.

Both take that time, just one takes it before and one during. Neither should be stronger than the other. The cost is the same.

Healing spec Sages do more damage with their instant AOE!

But this shows us that a headless chicken is responsible for balancing at BioWare. Well done!

Heal Sages have no Instant AoE, that would be the Balance Sage.

Btw. nice nerf Bioware, didn´t notice any changes in PvE. Well our two Commandoheals are happy like ****, that they can throw away there Sage/Scoundreltwinks for now and heal with their Mains again. In PvP Snipers are now on par, Scoundrels seem a bit to hard now, we will see about that:D

Sages (healer and dps) have the Force Quake level 34 power, stunning weaks and dealing a fair amount of damage during 3 seconds. It monopolize the sage during the 3 second effect (but it can be stopped anytime) so they're unable to heal or deal consequent dps on strong or bosses. The power is costly, but can be spammed until the weak pack is dead. It's very efficient for this usage and this usage only.

As operative healer, I used orbital strike for the same purpose. It monopolized my healer during the 3s of cast and killed or seriously damaged the packs of weak. Damages were above the sage's power and the radius was larger but it had a delay and couldn't be spammed. Now the operative healer has no more ability to deal with pack by their own. The Obital strike takes a long time to be cast and don't kill anything, a grenade throwed after isn't enough to finish weak, none of them can be spammed. We just manage to generate more aggro trying to get rid of small mobs.

So we have to rely on DPS... We're doomed.

Edited by Nkya

They should have renamed it to Flour Bomb. Hey Corso bring the ship around and dump the cargo on this mob... "Sure thing boss. Now they're dumb, ugly and annoyed!"

:D

'Corso, more commonly referred to as the magnificent son of a gun'

Yeah, totally pissed at Bioware over this one. If I wasn't an RPer with several characters, they would have lost me over this one. Honestly, it was the dumbest nerf they could have done especially for us healers who do dailies all alone and have to heal our tanking companion. Flyby was great to help alleviate the crowds before we started healing.

Initially I figured people were exaggerating the nerf, but having tested it for a couple days now on my main I completely agree it is basically useless now.

I can understand wanting to nerf the damage, it was pretty crazy before, but talk about a way over-nerf even with the reduction in CD and cast time.

Death from Above stops you from doing other things, but fires instantly.

Orbital Strike lets you move while it's firing, but stops you from doing anything while you summon it.

Both take that time, just one takes it before and one during. Neither should be stronger than the other. The cost is the same.

I wasn't implying or suggesting anything, calm down. I was sincerely just asking as I haven't play my sniper in ages. They should change it so you have to "paint" the ground while it's doing it's damage so it's like DFA and Quake, meaning you can't do anything while it's doing damage. Then they would have no justification for nerfing it.

I don't even know why they really nerfed it, it's been the way it is since launch, why *now*? And why so heavily, I'll never understand.

So here I am fully augmented (72) Sniper, Insert 3 weak targets on CZ-198 running dailies I go into cover and start up Orbital strike just before the 1st strike went off my UNDERWORLD relic of serendipous assault went off to give even more power to the 3 shots the 2 droids and the 1 humanoid survived the Orbital strike with 3% hp left.......3 WEAK.....WEAK.......3 F***ing WEAK targets can now survive my orbital strike???? im sorry why did this ability get nerfed??? Due to its start up timer of 5 sec, its hardly viable in PvP other than being used as a deterrant to keep people away from you or off a node/door. only an Idiot unless rooted would sit there and let Orbital strike go off on them. In PvP i normally used it it expose Gunslingers/Snipers from cover so they could be yanked/stunned (if entrench was just applied).

It has a 2.5 sec channel to start the ability THEN another 1-2sec to even get the 1st shot off and theres about a .5 sec inbetween each shot giving ample time to G-T-F-O. So with a 2.5 sec start up channel, 1.5 sec start up just to get the first shot off, and it taking a full 3 sec to get all the shots off just to deal 4k is pretty F***ing stupid...... In that 7 second period I could easily get a full rotation off and just not even bother with "useless Strike"... corrosive grenade and frag grenade do more damage together over the 7 sec period than "Useless Strike"

What whinner complained to get this ability nerffed??? Snipers get this ability at 48... troopers/Bounty Hunters get thier sky AOE at 15 and its just as powerful with no start up timer and a much shorter CD (15 sec difference unless youre ENG and you specced into it being 45sec CD as well), smash easily hits at 14k and thats instant! Why i ask, why are you hell bent on nerffing the non-force user classes???????????

My main is my sniper Yuffie-Kisaragi, and ive been playing since beta and through all the changes ive kept my mouth shut mostly because they didnt really affect my lethality tree too much since i choose that tree at start but this is a bit much....

Watch out Bounty hunter mains youre next........

Nope, we had Death From Above nerfed a looooonnnnngggggg time ago. Thankfully it's been fixed, but that poor aoe was screwed up for quite a while after being fine.

I've seen a lot of nerfs in a lot of MMOs over the years and this has to be one of the most senseless ones. The change to Orbital Strike / Freighter Flyby doesn't address the core problem and instead renders the ability not suitable for the intended usage (i.e. AOE).

I realise there was an issue with it being used in single target rotations, particularly for certain builds. Fine. so address that. Don't break the ability beyond all usefulness for everyone. It no longer functions as a useful AOE for any situation or build. Ironically because of the lower cd and cost I hear it is still useful in certain single target fights when other abilities are on cd. But as an AOE it is now pointless. As a level 48 signature ability it is a joke.

Two prolems:

1) The AOE damage is extremely weak. It won't even kill a pack of weak mobs below your level, assuming they even stay in it long enough to get damaged.

2) The preparation time / delay until it does damage is way too slow. It was always too slow, but at least the damage was worth it before, now it no longer is.

Essentially this ability needs changing so it is on a par with the speed, utility and damage of other signature aoe attacks in the game, such as Death From Above ( I worry about mentioning that in case they decide instead to re-nerf DFA).