Most FUN class to play (Discussion)

vertigofm

Edit: I have to agree with the previous poster who didn't like Hutta. It just sucks so bad. And to add to his comments, it's also too easy to find yourself at level 4 or 5 and all of your quests are orange, yet you have no more to do. Both of the Republic starting worlds are sooo much better. Korriban is pretty good, too.

I don't agree Sir. I find Hutta one of the best starting worlds, far far better than the terribly boring Tython.....

As far as classes are concerned, I have an Assassin (tank tree) in his early 30s, and it's fun to play, although probably something is still missing (late bloomer?). The story is great though :)

The BH's story is very nice, and the plus it's the fact of being located on Hutta :)

I've started a Sage, it will be a DPS sage: I also find the sorceror's lightning a bit boring on the long run, much better the telekinetics effects of the Sage (although it's true it kills throwing pebbles, as someone said before :) )

I think the different opinions we all have testify the good quality of the game!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played every class over 10 but only took Vanguard, Shadow, Sniper, Juggernaut and Mercenary to high levels.

Most fun for me has been the Sniper because the story is awesome and this AC is everything I was expecting it to be (ie. high single target damage at long range with the rifle). Once its bugs are cleared out, it'll be perfect.

The Merc was good too but I'm a little disappointed by the repetitive storyline and the tracer missile spam (I got two guns, I don't want to spam missiles).

The Juggernaut felt really weak at low levels but is finally starting to be interesting, I feel that the class isn't focused enough though, it shouldn't need that many abilities to perform above average. Story's awesome though.

The Vanguard is really weird to play. I enjoy it a lot in PvP but find it clunky and repetitive (yet effective) in PvE. I'm not decided on it yet. Story is pretty generic but good.

The Shadow is interesting to play as a tank but has way too many abilities. The story is extremely bland and that's one of the reasons I shelved that character in the middle of Act II.

Edited by drchocapic

• 1 month later...

I found that the sith inquisitor has the best storyline and is a lot of fun to play

I was really let down by the Jedi Knight lvl 1-14 thank God I stopped there because the other classes are so much more fun to play

my roommate and I found the empire classes to have more interesting story-lines and story characters/elements

My roommate's favorite classes are the trooper and gunslinger though

to me the combat felt wonky for a lot of the classes except sith inquisitor but regardless of how wonky the storylines might cater more to your preference I would try multiple classes and see which storyline draws you in the most before sticking it out to 50! GOODLUCK

As a healer it's BH hands down for me. I like the way the abilities mesh together + building and using stacks. Leveling as a healer wasn't great as you start with a healer companion, but after picking up your dps buddies it improves.

It's hard to pick a second; I've been making and remaking alts for a few weeks and can't find one to stick with. Force casters are too easy when hybrid speced into no-cost high damage (fall asleep). Force melee, while animated well, are way too flat and dull. You could macro their abilities to a single button and just steer them around all day. Agent / Smug healing starts very slow, but if it picks up then it might be huge fun - esp. with stealth ;) Looking forward to that.

1. Fun is a relative word, but we're arguing primary mechanics here. Fun should be related to class quests, combat, and play-style. Fun is NOT measured by how much you like the IDEA of a Jedi Knight, or how much you love looking at your level 50 Sith Sorcerer.

The looking at your 50 sorcerer can contribute to fun, actually. More fun to play a cool looking character with awesome moves than it is to play an ugly one. Hence why there's so many complaints about the high end armors and that pressing sorcerer issue of pants. ;)

Anyway, for me, having played a variety of Empire classes, going to have to go with tanking Assassin. Starts out slow, but picks up as it goes along. Stealth, positional tools, self healing, and so on, fun in groups, fun solo.

I've played:

To 40+: Guardian, Powertech

To 30+: Marauder (beta, pre-Fury), Shadow (beta), Gunslinger (beta)

The most fun in order:

Gunslinger > Powertech > Marauder == Shadow > Guardian

GS is so difficult to play correctly and so rewarding. The three specs are vastly different in playstyle, more so than with most other ACs, and each is fun in its own right. The playstyle is an invigorating faith-restorer in a genre that usually has lots of faceroll characters.

Powertech is of course very fun to play, mainly because of the ability synergies and animations. This class is covered in flash; no other class can match the aesthetic appeal. While other classes tend to spam a single ability for most of their damage, the Powertech uses Flame Burst (a pretty awesome ability in its own right) spam for the sake of proccing more powerful, impressive looking abilities.

Marauder is a melee GS, in essence. Because of the fast-paced nature of a berserker melee class who also has to manage multiple abilities like the GS, this class plays like a fighting game (whereas GS plays like a cover-based TPS); it's absolutely nuts.

The most frustrating in order from greatest to least:

Gunslinger > Guardian > Shadow == Marauder > Powertech

Cover is clunky and non-intuitive - it is nothing like Mass Effect or DX:HR even though it copies some of their ideas in an MMO-friendlier way. If we remove the bugs, it still a very user-unfriendly mechanic that exponentially increases the barrier to entry. I would only recommend the best MMO players and/or people who love a challenge to play the class.

Guardian is frustrating because it lacks the flash you'd expect from the class, especially after seeing Ven Zallow and the Zabrak Jedi Master in the SWTOR cinematics. The animations for this class are far from agile; you are just a faster swinging Juggernaut at best. If the class had more flash, half the frustration would disappear. The other half is how penalized melee classes are in this game, especially in PvE. Finally, the Defense tree needs massive work.

Shadow and Marauder were fine in beta and have only been strengthened since then. My frustrations were how these classes were so easily kited and didn't seem to have an identity until getting very high into their trees.

i've played pretty much every class to at least lvl 15. So far I can honestly say that isn't enough to get a true feel for a class. you need to at least play it to lvl 35.

but of the class's that i've played to that lvl I would say my sentinal is my favorite, for a combo of game mechanics in pvp and the great story so far.

Tried just about everything except smuggler to level 12, most things to 20+ and a few 50s

Honestly, i enjoyed the marauder most, the storyline was.... good, not fantastic brilliant, but good. The game play ties in well with the emperors wrath title (when we still had it) in that we're all out attack. The toon honestly feels like its either idling, or going all out, theres no in between.

The companions, bar 1, are some of the better ones in this game. For the most part, you end up with a crew that makes sense, a few odd bits but ultimately, the fit in nicely.

Guardian Knight at 50, with at least 126 rating gear. Extremely dynamic, requires a lot of strategy and situational awareness to use your mobility with 110% efficiency to survive, protect and destroy, relatively challenging resource management, compared to self-filling bars (I also run Shadow, Sage, Sniper, Sawbones and PT).

The gear "requirement" is there because you're melee, and you're extremely exposed. You need some survivability to be able to do anything without being killed before your Resolve bar even fills up. And the class scales very well. It may be rather unimpressive baseline, with low-end gear, but once you get it pumped, it's more than a match for equally-geared opposition.

Second most fun is probably Sawbones Scoundrel. Very challenging, because, unlike other healers, you can't tank enemies - you have to rely on positioning and planning to survive. The healing\resource system is kind of unwieldy, compared to the competition, but it's manageable, once you get used to it.

Edited by Helig

Most fun class for me is the juggernaut. Played Inquisitor; the game felt like easy mode. All the gunners feel like they use nerf guns. Juggernaut is a challenge, and you have to use tons of skills to be good. Inquisitor can mash just one skill to kill everything. I don't like playing the easier-to-use classes :3

Tell me great master which one button only must I press to kill everything?

Or is it you make up crap on the spot? :rolleyes:

/snip

Sorcerer is probably second place, they have a huge energy bar that never runs out in normal fights, and they throw all sorts of lightning and cool looking "dark" effects around. Not as impressive as the BH's explosions, but much more exciting than the Sage's pebbles. Speaking of which... "I'm going to throw pebbles and dust at you until you die" was not what I imagined the class would be like.

/snip

Project, Turbulence and TK Wave >>>>>> than any of the same old purple lightning you see 24/7 from that class.

Edited by Vales

Project, Turbulence and TK Wave >>>>>> than any of the same old purple lightning you see 24/7 from that class.

Animation-wise, perhaps. But pebble=>wave hybrid spec is kind of boring, and PvPing as full TK is pretty masochistic, in my opinion.

I've played all republic classes to at least 20 when I was picking a main. Most fun are the Vanguard and Sage. The Sage takes a leap forward when you can get 11 in balance and again when you get hit enough to split spec PoM and TK Wave. With the Vanguard I played powetech first which is a lot better with its animations but the mechanics convinced me to switch to the Vanguard to help the republic pop imbalance.

If the Commando had a rifle and a skill with the exact mechanics of project from the Sage I'd be playing one of them.

Shadow, doublestrike, doublestrike, doublestrike, doublestrike. Also force potency as tank spec feels like a 2 minute mage, albiet a weak one that has to stack cooldown and proc to blow half a force bar for a laughable 2k crit bolstered from lvl 21 in the 1-49 wz.

Scoundrel animations completely turned me off the class. Gun slap, blaster shots that sounds like bullets, magic left handed shotgun, no opener till lvl 36, bugged stun animation, the punches also look stupid to me especially so on a size 2 female. Overall it seems to lack a unifying theme like we have with the trooper ACs.

Gunslinger would be my 3rd class. It feels powerful from lvl 10 and it has a nice progression in utility.

The Knight classes both seem to be made of paper and are constantly waiting on ability cooldowns. The Guardian especially so given its inability to use its filler attack, slash in this case, due to resource limitations. Why a melee class of all things has a reverse generating resource I'll never understand. If it were neccesary at all it should be on the gunslinger the long range sustained dps class.

Edited by Rotm

<.......>

The Knight classes both seem to be made of paper and are constantly waiting on ability cooldowns. The Guardian especially so given its inability to use its filler attack, strike in this case, due to resource limitations. Why a melee class of all things has a reverse generating resource I'll never understand. If it were neccesary at all it should be on the gunslinger the long range sustained dps class.

That's an interesting idea - I'd actually like to see a ranged class with a "rage" mechanic.

That's an interesting idea - I'd actually like to see a ranged class with a "rage" mechanic.

Mixed up strike and slash in my OP, strike is useless.

The Vanguard I play takes a long time to run out of ammo to the point where I hardly use the strike equivalent hammer shot unless its for its ranged utility. I would say that the rough equivalent ability to slash is Ion Pulse which does the same damage and deals elemental.

I don't have a 50 knight but in the 20s at least its far easier to play and much less frustrating having a go to anytime attack that hits hard, has no cooldown, is cheap, and has a little range. I could go on about snares, stuns, kb, kiting, etc making knights hard to enjoy since I primarily pvp when I play, but in brief the resource problems are compounded by being melee. For me it puts them in the bottom spot of enjoyment from a mechanics perspective.

Edited by Rotm

Animation-wise, perhaps. But pebble=>wave hybrid spec is kind of boring, and PvPing as full TK is pretty masochistic, in my opinion.

It is weaker, but not that much. You can still get all the nice CC abilities bar Containment for Force Lift.

You have overall more reliable burst and higher burst which is harder to setup. Casting Disturbance is just as turret mode as casting TK Wave. Only difference is instant FiB compared to Turbulence which gives the hybrid an edge in mobile damage.

That's about it.

The Vanguard I play takes a long time to run out of ammo to the point where I hardly use the strike equivalent hammer shot unless its for its ranged utility.

what spec?

vanguard assault has to use hammer shot almost every 2nd cast, unless lucky with HIB procs

wops double post.

Edited by Fentz

Just a warning to those playing various classes to 10 or 15 or 20 to decide: you get a somewhat limited view of a class because that early you only have your first companion. This biases some because companion roles can make a big difference in how a class plays. For instance, the BH gets a healer first, enhancing their sense of power early on, and the Sorcerer gets a tank which is also highly complementary. The picture changes later when you get a choice of companions and therefore a choice of how to play your class, even beyond the choices provided by how you allocate skill points.

Another misleading aspect of early level perspective is how your attacks do not scale up very well with mob health. An attack that takes a third off the health of an average on-level trash mob at 15 will be lucky to take a sixth off at 40. This tends to inflate your sense of power early on.

That's getting a bit far from the central topic of fun, but I felt compelled to throw that out there after seeing several talking about playing to relatively low levels to get a feel for the classes. So many aspects, from companions to scaling to some trees being late bloomers can affect how classes feel at various stages.