SWTOR is too hard for me

swcfrost

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a couple of story bosses that got pretty frustrating.

But as many have said before, and what were my problems at the times as well:

- make sure you are geared properly!

At one time, all it took to finally beat the boss I had problems with was to turn in the quests

I did near him to get the quest rewards. Equipped them, was the final push i needed.

- remember to use the planet commendations to update your gear as well

- make sure your skills are trained! <-- VERY IMPORTANT

- check your companion's skills

for single elite bosses you might want to deactivate AOE skills of your companion.

If your companion uses those against single enemies, it results in a lower dps over all.

- interrrupt the right attacks/heals of the boss

if he/she doesn't get off high damage attacks you live longer,

if he/she doesn't get off heals he'll die faster.

You don't need to be uberleet to play the game, but a little work is required.

Hope this helps! :D

And just because I can, a quote by Georg Zoeller to the topic:

A few general notes on challenging fights.

One of the most important aspects of higher level fights against elites is to counter their special abilities. You are required to use your interrupting abilities (e.g. Distraction on the Imperial Agent) in these fights to prevent these enemies from gaining the upper hand. In the short term, stuns and ballistic attacks/knockback will also help, but your interrupt abilities have the added benefit of preventing the target from using their special abilities.

Make sure your companion is properly equipped and that their signature abilities are enabled. For example, if you rely on your companion to take the brunt of the beating in a fight, make sure their 'defensive stance' is activated. Turn off their area of effect abilities when you're fighting single enemies - they are not efficient for these fights. You can enable/disable abilities by opening your companion panel (~ by default) and right clicking the ability. The green indicator on an ability tells you if a companion will consider the ability for use in their AI rotation.

Do not underestimate the benefit of stims and relics as short term efforts to turn the tide. Same goes for your 20 minute 'heroic moment' ability (the one that only works with your companion and triggers the music).

This sounds obvious, but make sure that your skill points (k) are distributed and that you've trained primary your abilities to level.

Finally, if all else fails, gaining additional equipment, levels or bringing a friend along to help with a challenging fight can be used to overcome temporary blocks. However, be advised that if you run into constantly very challenging fights, it is a good indication that your equipment might need updating.

All these notes aside, we are looking at difficulty issues constantly. If we find a trend that indicate a certain fight is broken or a specific advanced class has issues, we will act accordingly. If you want to provide additional insights, such as your character's spec, your approach to combat, your companion or a particular fight you would like us to look at, please feel free to do so in this thread.

regards

Georg

Edited by Talahar

A lot of good advice here. I'd just thought I'd add my 2 credits. If you are using a healer companion be sure to protect them. If they start taking damage they will heal themselves which means less healing for you.

For single mobs this means keeping them out of aoe, dragging the mob away a little bit can help stop the aoes aimed at you from hitting your companion. If it is a group of mobs then you need to CC or grab agro from most or all of them so that your healer is safe.

Id say it's all a big learning curve if you're not used to the gameplay mechanics.

You will need to keep both yourself and your main companion with updated gear. Your companion should be very easy to equip when you turn in your quest rewards. You can stay pretty updated that way too. . .but it's always better to look for some custom gear and use your planet commendations to keep the mods inside them updated.

You ALWAYS want to take out the weakest mobs in the pack first. This is even more helpful in a boss fight since if it's that tough, you should be able to kill all the weak enemies, then die, rez up, and then take down the strong/elite/champion boss 2 on 1(you and your companion).

Use your Crowd Control abilities to disable the strongest mob in the group. Sometimes it's good to save this for when he's about to do some big attack(which you can see him channeling the ability), other times it's not as important and you just wanna CC him so you're taking less damage while you beat on him or his buddies.

Sacrifice your companion if you have to. Lots of times I'll send my companion in to attack the strongest mob, while I work to take out the weak mobs. This path might not be optimal(you might wanna send him after the weak mobs) but I prefer it since it keeps the big guy off you.

I would suggest rolling a Sorc/Sage if you're really having issues. They have been the easiest class to play by far in my experience. I dont have one at 50 yet, but the only class quest I had issues with was in some factory around level 36(for the Sage). You get a great companion with him right off the bat(a tank) which makes things really easy when you send him in to attack first. Also consider going up the madness/balance tree with it, the talented force lift/whirlwind is EPIC crowd control while leveling. Letting you take on a group of 3-4 mobs 1 at a time.

note - If you roll a sorc, dont bother with the level 8 quest 'blood money' or 'bloody ritual' or whatever it's called, until you get your companion, then go back and complete it. That is a crazy hard quest to do without a friend or companion to help.

Or you could join a guild. I'm sure there's at least 1 on your server that is pretty open to sending invites to anyone. This can help with leveling since you can get with someone(or a couple people) and level with them together(dont forget, this is an MMO). Dont expect them to drop everything they're doing to help you with each and every quest you're having issues with. . .but you could possibly time it so that you and another person are leveling in the same area and can do the same quest chains together. This route will also help more since you can talk to them and ask them what you're doing wrong/what you can do to improve your game.

Edited by FourTwent

Oh right, and go Biochem and level it up as you level. It's Biochem with Bioanalysis, and Diplomacy. The Stims and Medpacs alone(i like the reusables, but the blue medpacs will provide more of a benefit since they heal you for more) will give you a tremendous upper hand in all fights.

You /could/ just buy the regular ones from the vendors, and they are helpful. . .dont get me wrong, but the ones from Biochem are just better.

All of my bosses (especially story mission bosses) are way too difficult to defeat for me and I often have to ask people for help. I have tried a few classes out and for all of them it is the same problem. Shouldn't people who want to play the game mostly by themselves be able to defeat bosses alone? Does anyone else have this problem?

If your meaning Heroic missions those are suggested 2-4 people runs and are some times even harder ( depends ) than normal Flashpoints that is the reason they are called Heroic missions..

If your talking about the storyline "bosses" then it's just L2P issue getting working companion f.e. I changed companion in one phase because my Melee companion was getting owned too easily I switched to ranged companion and it was walk in the park.

Other thing is that bosses use skills, you can interrupt them so it is vital that you are using full amount of things that are in your hands not just click and kill ..

there is plenty of heroic quests that mean you wont be able to solo them.

your problem could be related to gear/boss is way higher level/you arent using your abilities/you havent chosen a spec/you arent interupting the right abilities/you arent using a pet or a plethora of things like that.

give us more details and we can try help.

i had lots of problems with bosses but once you learn the pattern and how to move your pet from aoe and interupt stuff ... youll be grand

This is not WoW, you don't faceroll mobs here. Be glad you actually have something challenging, instead of mindless grind you forget about in a moment.

Na, they're still pretty much face roll. If you have a basic understanding of your character, you should have no problems. Except with those weirdly tuned fights were one level makes all the differences. Like Skotia as an Assassin. One level below him, couldn't beat him. Get to his level, and practically sleep mash through it.

All of my bosses (especially story mission bosses) are way too difficult to defeat for me and I often have to ask people for help. I have tried a few classes out and for all of them it is the same problem. Shouldn't people who want to play the game mostly by themselves be able to defeat bosses alone? Does anyone else have this problem?

Sometimes the boss are indeed too tough. I think maybe possibly that the boss is too tied in with the story affecting the difficulty. Is it possible that if i dont do the side missions, or clear the whole area that the boss is more difficult?

I ask this becuase I know how to play my character. I know all the abilities, and which ones to use, and how to rotate on dps for maximum efficeincy, and when to use CC.

However, the dps I do is not not enough, and its also becuase I get dpsed too much.

Sometimes I will even use heroic call, and med pacs, stims, adrenals and all the abilities i would need to be ready. and still I can not solo them some of the time, which is also becuase I am not using the perfect companion for the job.

So, you also have to bring the right companion, which I will resort to and complete it. However, I believe I am good at the game and that the game is made a bit too difficult that it requires such perfect timing, and execution and sequencing with good gear as well.

The game is not for casuals. Since even with a companion it is hard. You also need the right companion to do the hard story missions as well.

AN example:

SW Juggernaut bring a healer

SW Marauder/Sentinel bring a tank

Breaking from this formula of companion will make the game more difficult.

So, yes I agree the game is difficult. And the poeple who are saying it is easy is either becuase they play a lot of games and are also smart that it is easy for them. For example being able to type 200 words per minute is not average. So if you can type 200 words per minute pls do no say the game is easy. You are basically a freak of nature. You are trolling us by saying this game is easy because you can type 200 words per minute.

Anyways, its doable, but the problem for me is mostly that there is a death penalty for challenging game content.

BW you said you would not put death penalties so we can try your game. Not only do you put death penalties you make certain part of the class story extremely difficult using up the death penalty! Way to ruin my expereince and willingness to learn to become a better player at some near impossible missions.

example of quests that are part of the story in Tatooine

Darth Praven

Sand demon

these are examples of one of the first near impossible missions

Anyways, everytime someone says the game is easy I don beleive them. I want to see you do one of the hard class quests on you tube. I would still have my doubts it would be edited, however, I know there are min maxers out there who can do it, but this game is not for min maxers. Its suppose to be doable when the quest set to my level( in both examples of the spolier I was above lvl and it was still difficult and I also had some of the best gear I could have and other good gear), and when I have the right gear for the job.

Now, you just need to see me play to know that I am good enough that I should be able to beat the challenge, but I cant. Why? Because it requires several tries to see for example which spell to silence, or how the boss works to know how to beat it. How am I suppose to do that in 2 tries when the death penalty is already stacking and the cost of my armor as well.

Bw logic is flawed here. The bosses require and understanding that is not too evident when confronted and there is not enough chances to learn from them. They punish you by time, and the time punishment is there because of the cost penalty of armor repair. REMOVE armor damage, and also remove time penalty for class quests. Would make it a lot more interesting for me to try and figure out the boss instead of giving up after 3-4 tries, and waiting for the cool down I go to you tube, or the forums.

EDIT: For those who want a challenge, dont play with a companion. That should be for the poeple who type 200 words per minute. However, I tried playing the game without a companion, and all I got to say is good luck to you. I really want to see that on you tube.

edit: Also the mistake BW made was make the companion too good. So isntead of allowing the game to be challenging for people to play without a companion they made it impossible that it requires a companion. So then the challenge was offered to everyone at the same time... /facepalm

Edited by VegaPhone

From my experience, class quest bosses are easy as long as you don't try to rush through the storyline.

Completing every available quest on the planet before tackling the story boss for that planet ensures you will be several levels above the encounter level, making it easy. If not, there are the options to do some space combat missions or warzone pvp, those give lots of experience too.

There are some encounters that are notably harder than usual (lightspring on tatooine for the smuggler comes to mind) but those are few and far between.

Hiya,

I'm with the OP here. I'm not a uber-1337 player, but I'm not a total n00b either. I'd consider myself a decent player, not perfect, but not stupid either.

But I have this one particular class quest on Corellia, 2 levels below me (I'm 49, Jedi Knight, tank skilled) and for the love of Vader, I can't beat the 3 strong ones plus 1 normal. Not matter which companion I choose, (s)he falls faster than I can watch, I follow shortly after. Equipment is par, use of skills (interrupts etc.) ..well..I use all of them at which I think is the right time, but still...no way.

From what I read here all the time, it MUST be me, but on the other hand, the difficulty curve is quite steep in this game, once you reached a certain level (I'd say end 20's, start 30's).

I don't want this game to be too easy, mind you, but I've reached a point now where this is just frustrating up to the point of never playing the JK again.

Call me a sissy if you want, but I can totally understand the OPs point of view.

You can solo flashpoints and operations?

ASTOUNDING!

Yep some, is that so outstanding in a game with so much siding to solo questing... i wish it were more the other way round personally as I much prefer grp play.

With the obviouis lack of LFG on servers (not cross server), especially lower pop servers then your almost kind of forced to run solo... but many flashpoints / ops you just cant simply by design constraints (dual switches etc etc) rather than just too many big mobs at once. Like I said the more over lvl you run them the easier they become to the point where you simply just walk through them unscathed.. which iirc is 9+ lvls.

Of course if your not gearing up appropriately, not lvling your skills, using your companions, stims/heals effeciantly and when needed or simply making sure you set your UI out to help run your skill sequences effectively then sure any boss is gunna give you a problem, some players just cope better than others with the whole mechanics of it all.. thats not an ego trip statement, thats just fact... call it hand eye coordination, better equipment, better Lag conditions whateva.. its simply just a fact.

Me personally am an average joe player who enjoys the game for what it is, a game and the lvl of difficulty i think is fine and as I said not all of it, especially after lvl 30 ish is soloable outside of story but not unheard of because players learn to adapt and work things out... the challenge then is to beat the ensuing nerfs that often come in and force a change of tactics... :)

To add to the OP, there are some pretty tough solo fights in the game. At 29, I couldn't handle the fight at the end of the Inquisitor's chapter 1. The target simply healed faster than I could damage them. At 30 it was a tough but much more doable fight (that quest is level 32).

At 32, I was badly outclassed in the Imperial Agent boss fight at the end of chapter 1, and I heard people find it tough even at 34.

And let's not forget the Inquisitor class boss fight on Nar Shaddaa, which I plainly hold to be impossible to win on an even-levelled Sorcerer without dying once (yet is remarkably simple on an assassin).

Some may call OP a noob or a troll. I think he is not.

Boss encounters are easier for some classes while some classes have REALLY hard boss encounters.

Playing a bounty hunter : It mind numbing easy. H2+ have all been done solo.

Player a Jedi knight is not so easy : The boss who pretended to be Kira's brother and tried to bring her back to the emperor. Seriously you actually have to either die many times to find out the strat on your own or read the strat on the net. You have to use you kick and Force stasis well or you will die regardless of your gear.

All and all, i think that there is big lack of balance when it comes to story mode bosses depending on what class you play.

That being said, i managed to clean everything on my own even with my JK. I only died more often with my JK than i did with my BH because i actually had to elaborate a strategy to overcome my boss. While it was frustrating at times, i prefered thr difficulty of playing a Jedi knight. Made the boss wins much all the more satisfying.

Edited by Alianar

I C WHAT U DID THERE!

Serious trolling

They are all entirely soloable... you have to make sure you use everything in your arsenal... gear upgrades, companions, cooldowns, buffs, whatever you have. Sometimes you have to do things a few times to get it right. Games aren't supposed to be a faceroll, and this is one area where BioWare got the tuning right.

On the other hand, can't tell if serious.

I C WHAT U DID THERE!

Serious trolling

I don't thing he is.

It all the depends of the class you play and what companion you have available at that time.

When you are a merc BH that can keep a boss away, dealing crazy dps, and have a first companion that is an outstanding healer. It's easy.

Play a JK that does not have a very burstly dps, not much cc or bump to reduce damage, and Kira that will most likely die 10-20 seconds once the fight starts. Not so easy.

Basicly it all comes down to one thing : your companion.

After level 25=30 you have a few companion to choose from so it get's better.

Edited by Alianar

Well I once had a boss that required either help or being few levels over the required level.

Darth Zhorrid is one mean lightning striking chick on PMS

Some helpful tips when it does not work out

: Get your gear up to date, this also means the mods.

: Use stims, those can give you just the extra boost you need

: When a boss is popping some imba skill use stuns

: Kite, yes even as a melee if needed go kite. DoT , run Dot run..if that is what it takes then that is what it takes.

: Get your skills up to date (yes there are people that dont know that after lvl 10 you can upgrade, those people do excist :|)

: Upgrade your companions, they are not there for show.

Edited by Kirameki

I really hope your joking. Most of the bosses you fight in your class quests are easy for someone to just tank and spank. There are a few that make you actually do a little work but every class quest boss is soloable in quest/looted gear.

Champions can be soloed so killing an elite is a joke.

It very much depends on the class you are playing, from my own experience. The most difficult class I have found was the warrior class whereas the easiest was the inquisitor class.

I managed to solo every class boss on my warrior but the final confrontation did take 2 hrs of having to disect the fight and come up with answers.

It very much depends on the class you are playing, from my own experience. The most difficult class I have found was the warrior class whereas the easiest was the inquisitor class.

I managed to solo every class boss on my warrior but the final confrontation did take 2 hrs of having to disect the fight and come up with answers.

Indeed, I remember having issues with Lord Draagh (the lvl 50 version), but once I took a moment and understood what was really going on it was perfectly doable.. even easy.

Edited by Lundli