faction change

kaczuszka

guys i have been onto this for a long time i say that for rp we need faction change i mean who would not like to be like anakin,revan or some other cool jedi that turns to the dark side it would be cool

And if you lvl your jedi to lvl 50 can you be bothered to do it again for you sith i mean yea it would take ages and btw if we change factions it would be cool what kind of class you want to change

guys i have been onto this for a long time i say that for rp we need faction change i mean who would not like to be like anakin,revan or some other cool jedi that turns to the dark side it would be cool

And if you lvl your jedi to lvl 50 can you be bothered to do it again for you sith i mean yea it would take ages and btw if we change factions it would be cool what kind of class you want to change

BW says no faction change because of how heavy story plays into your class. You can't just faction change and expect to make sense class story wise without having to write another 16 storylines. So faction change is a no.

For what it's worth Anakin/Vader never actually changed factional alignment. In fact, the number of heroes in the Star Wars universe that have are extremely small, making it an extremely rare occurrence. As a result, the lore of the setting does not support the idea of our player characters being able to betray our faction. This is in addition to the technical issues, as indicated above.

It was decided years ago that you are with your faction for life. The closest you will get is LS / DS choices.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I assume you're asking, "If you leveled a Jedi to 50, can you be bothered to level a Sith to 50?"

Uhhh, yea. Loads of people have more than one 50, even more have more than two. ( I for one have six, working on a Sith Sorc)

But try and roll a new character to level 50, you'll find that the experience (for the most part) is extremely different.

• 5 months later...

I think you should be able to faction change once you complete your class story fully. But also your alignment must be either full good or full bad.

Example: A Bounty Hunter wishes to transfer to the Republic Fleet to pursue one of their contract targets. To do this the Bounty Hunter must have finished their class story completely, and also be full good alignment to be allowed access to the republic, when they arrive they are then outfitted in the equivalent Republic gear to what they are already wearing.

Example #2: A Jedi Sage wishes to transfer to Korriban to pursue the ways of the dark side. They have finished their class story and they are fully evil alignment and are thus granted access to the imperial side, again the sage then changes their outfit to the equivalent Imperial gear.

Edited by Monkfishysnow

Moral alignment and political views are not going hand in hand.

There are senators in the republic, which I would rate at Dark V, and there are Sith, which I would rate as Light V.

Faction change would also require all companions to switch sides, which in itself can cause problems...

Example: Elara Dorne defected from the imperial army and started a new career in the republic army in Havoc Squad. Her whole companion story is centered about her loyalty towards the republic and having to proove it time and time again.

How could that fit, if suddenly the commander of Havoc Squad (the player) switches sides to the empire? What would happen to Elara?

Would the companions by some miracle be exchanged for the "other set" of companions? What about their affection?

There are so many problems associated with faction change, that I do not see it happening anytime soon.

I think you should be able to faction change once you complete your class story fully. But also your alignment must be either full good or full bad.

Example: A Bounty Hunter wishes to transfer to the Republic Fleet to pursue one of their contract targets. To do this the Bounty Hunter must have finished their class story completely, and also be full good alignment to be allowed access to the republic, when they arrive they are then outfitted in the equivalent Republic gear to what they are already wearing.

Example #2: A Jedi Sage wishes to transfer to Korriban to pursue the ways of the dark side. They have finished their class story and they are fully evil alignment and are thus granted access to the imperial side, again the sage then changes their outfit to the equivalent Imperial gear.

Dude. If you're just going to do any of this, just start another character with roughly the same name but slight variation like double letters or an apostrophe to get around the name. I know a few people who have an Imperal alter ego of a Rep character and vice versa. I myself have a Knight version of my Commando to signal her story progression into becoming a Force Adept.

Running through the entire storyline as strictly evil or good won't fit a lot of the choices. There's going to be some fuzzy grey ones where a roleplayer is going to go "Well letting this Sith go IS the Light Side choice but my char REALLY hates Sith and he was a bastard and she's not having a good day." *picks dark side option because it fits the character at that moment.* Everything is not pure black and white. Realistically there is more grey then that. No one wants to spend +100 hours grinding light/dark just to switch a char from Imperial to Republic just for a single RP scenario only to spend another +100 hours to get BACK to Imperial space.

If you really want a faction change, visit an Apperiance Designer kiosk and preview and make a note of your character's look (viewing your existing look to see what choices you made is free. I swear. Doesn't cost a thing to just window shop your appearance), go to character creation, and dupe the char on the desired side. Play them both or just let one slide into obscurity. Doesn't matter. It's easy to do and roleplayers already do this.

They can't do this because you would have the wrong companions for the faction......you would have to start the class quests over again and practically make you level 1 all over again for it to even be feasible. Hense you should start a new character. Edited by Kalifus

For what it's worth Anakin/Vader never actually changed factional alignment. In fact, the number of heroes in the Star Wars universe that have are extremely small, making it an extremely rare occurrence. As a result, the lore of the setting does not support the idea of our player characters being able to betray our faction. This is in addition to the technical issues, as indicated above.

Yes, technically the Galactic Republic became the Galactic Empire... however Anakin did definitely progress to the Dark Side. Even killing the Emperor can be considered a Dark Side choice, since it was done, not to save all the people that were/are victims of the Emperor, but to save his own son. However, the story as seen in Ep 3, says he's somehow redeemed himself enough, and learned the trick of living on within the Force, by that act. (Either that, or Luke just imagined seeing him with the force-remnants of Obi-wan and Yoda).

Edited by Ancaglon

Yes, technically the Galactic Republic became the Galactic Empire... however Anakin did definitely progress to the Dark Side. Even killing the Emperor can be considered a Dark Side choice, since it was done, not to save all the people that were/are victims of the Emperor, but to save his own son. However, the story as seen in Ep 3, says he's somehow redeemed himself enough, and learned the trick of living on within the Force, by that act. (Either that, or Luke just imagined seeing him with the force-remnants of Obi-wan and Yoda).

Nah to me he is the chosen one and powerful enough to become a force ghost when he wants btw i don't think that kallig learned how to do it to me he was just powerful enough to do it:D

Edited by kaczuszka

As someone who has played through the BH, JK, JC, and SW classlines, I could completely understand how someone would want the ability to switch factions based off the events in some of the stories.

I think the solution to this would be to create a questline that was mirrored on Imp and Pub sides that took you through the process of defecting to your desired side. Doing so would grant you a "Defector" or some other title, and possibly open up some dialogue changes if that title is active for your character in future conversations with faction members in future expansions. (I.E, the Imperial moff is grudgingly going to the defector bounty hunter with a mission because he/she is the only one available with the required skillsets, and he is willing to buy the bounty hunter's temporary loyalty for the mission.)

This wouldn't cause any issue outside of companion affection gain with the current companion selections for each class, and it avoids the issues of trying to port class mechanics between factions.

One thing I was thinking of for faction change would be something along the lines of the following:

Your character would have to be maximum level and maximum of the alignment of the faction you were joining. So max dark points for joining the Empire and max light points for joining the Republic. Then I'd love to see a very long quest line where you are sent on tasks to prove your loyalty to the faction you want to join. Maybe even something requiring a member of the faction you want to join to "sponsor" you or have to quest with you. As long as it took quite a bit of time to complete, so it would take some effort or time to do.

You might be able to get around the companions etc. by having your companions "abandon" you as you change factions then your character would have to start from the level 1 quest of its mirror class. As most (I think) of the stories have you start off as a rookie, it might work? That way you'd gain the mirror class companions by following the class story.

I think that all of the above would take a boat load of work and probably wouldn't be worth the effort on Bioware's part however, so I'm not holding my breath or anything here! However, I think that faction could be done (not necessarily as I've suggested) in a way that made sense, if it was deemed to be something worth doing in game.

• 4 weeks later...

Bounty Hunter's and Smuggler's shouldn't be faction specific at all really. Their stories may have some faction specific quests but there is no reason why a bounty hunter or a smuggler wouldn't accept work in Republic or Imperial space and vice versa.

Frankly I think those two classes should be allowed to travel to both fleets freely and group with characters from either faction. It could conceivably help with flashpoint and operations queue times as the faction imbalance may be addressed somewhat with Powertech tanks and scoundrel healers / DPS being able to queue cross faction.

Think about it, companions don't need to say a damn thing. Story wise it works and it would be nice. The only real obstacle I see to this is Sith Warriors, Jedi Knights, Imperial Agents, and Troopers ************ that they can't travel as freely as Smugglers or Bounty Hunters. Some sort of reward or special class ability may have to be added as compensation for "fairness" in the minds of some but really and truly I never thought those two should have been faction specific in the first place but rather independent. This is despite their actual class stories being tied to a faction, which honestly doesn't really need to change.