How would Darth Maul do in TOR

Specialperson

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saber skill wise, he would probably be one of if not the best duelists in TOR. The problem i see is the same one that I see Savage Opress having if he was in TOR, the inability to defend force lightning. I dont know if Maul knows how to defend it or not but if Savage is any indication then Maul's as good as dead to anyone who knows lightning.

Saber skill wise, he would probably be one of if not the best duelists in TOR. The problem i see is the same one that I see Savage Opress having if he was in TOR, the inability to defend force lightning. I dont know if Maul knows how to defend it or not but if Savage is any indication then Maul's as good as dead to anyone who knows lightning.

I don't think he would rate as one of the best duelists by any stretch of the imagination. His only real edge over the Jedi was that they were unfamiliar with fighting a double bladed lightsaber, and in TOR people are running around with those all over the place.

Lightsaber combat is probably flourishing in the Sith Empire during the Cold War/Great Galactic War. Darth Maul would rate as above average, but probably nothing exceptional when compared to other Sith apprentices in the Empire. Any Sith Lord or an actual Darth would probably cut him apart.

I agree, despite what Ventessel says we have to remember that he was personally trained by Darth Sidious at the height of the Order of the Sith Lords as a living weapon. A killing machine. Remember that the Sidious era was the height of all eras for the Sith, Sidious and his master had grown far more powerful than any of the Sith Empire.

I think he'd be more than a match in terms of a lightsaber too. This guy has mastered Juyo, Niman and Jar'Kai - and incorporated that with exceptional skill in unarmed combat. Granted his unfamiliar weapon gave him an edge against the Jedi - but ultimately he completely outclassed them on the field of combat. There is nothing the Sith of the OR have that Maul doesn't have, and then some.

Weak against Force lightning? Not the case. No he cannot deflect it or channel it himself, but he can endure it. Case in point: when single-handedly wiping out the Black Sun leadership on Ralltiir he encountered an extremely powerful Nightsister whom unleashed a barrage of lightning at him - Maul simply shrugged it off, powered through it and sliced her in half.

Would he become a Dark Council member? No, he's a weapon, not a manipulator. But I'd settle for Emperor's Wrath.

An inflated image of Maul? Nope, I'm just recognizing him as what he is. The primary weapon of the most powerful Sith Lord who ever lived. I think we also have to remember that excluding the 'Dark Ages' the Sith just grew more and more powerful.

Maul Mastered many things like Tera Kasi from the Palawa, I just don't think he would be the same in this era.
Well IMO the lightsaber forms are a good measuring stick for cross-era comparison, as they are relatively unchanging. So with Maul being a master of three, as well as having mastery over a unarmed combat form, well that's going to give him a considerable edge over many Sith and Jedi in the OR era.

I mean, this guy is effectively Sidious' Wrath.

Edited by Beniboybling

Maul on the council?

No. Like berginoying[sorry if i got it wrong!] said. guy is a living weapon.

he'd basically be the best sith assassin alive. He'd make sith IQ story hero if an assassin look like a pathetic wimp when it came to saber ability and fighting.

Basically, council or the emperor has a job noone else can do, you hand it to maul and get the hell out of his way.

I agree, despite what Ventessel says we have to remember that he was personally trained by Darth Sidious at the height of the Order of the Sith Lords as a living weapon. A killing machine. Remember that the Sidious era was the height of all eras for the Sith, Sidious and his master had grown far more powerful than any of the Sith Empire.

I think he'd be more than a match in terms of a lightsaber too. This guy has mastered Juyo, Niman and Jar'Kai - and incorporated that with exceptional skill in unarmed combat. Granted his unfamiliar weapon gave him an edge against the Jedi - but ultimately he completely outclassed them on the field of combat. There is nothing the Sith of the OR have that Maul doesn't have, and then some.

Weak against Force lightning? Not the case. No he cannot deflect it or channel it himself, but he can endure it. Case in point: when single-handedly wiping out the Black Sun leadership on Ralltiir he encountered an extremely powerful Nightsister whom unleashed a barrage of lightning at him - Maul simply shrugged it off, powered through it and sliced her in half.

Would he become a Dark Council member? No, he's a weapon, not a manipulator. But I'd settle for Emperor's Wrath.

An inflated image of Maul? Nope, I'm just recognizing him as what he is. The primary weapon of the most powerful Sith Lord who ever lived. I think we also have to remember that excluding the 'Dark Ages' the Sith just grew more and more powerful.

I think he could be a DC member. Remember in TCW we see him as a cunning sith who was able to build a strong powerbase on Mandalore from scratch and not just someone's weapon. That being said I think he would be more suited to be someone like Malgus or Angral who werent DC members but built up their own huge powerbases outside the infighting of the Empire.

Interesting he can endure force lightning, he must have been tortured by the lightning of Sidious so much that all other forms of lightning inflicted on him are next to nothing. Still, enduring and deflecting are very different as he still getting hurt from it. He'd probably get destroyed when he got to Vitiate (mass mind control, intensely powerful lightning) but that would be it.

IMO A sith is a sith, a jedi is a jedi. The game just seperates it into different classes because its a game.
Hmmm, I think I'd disagree. Some Jedi are tailored to certain fields - although they became more all rounders in the later Old Republic period. I mean take Kreia - she's a Jedi Consular. While someone like Revan is clearly a Jedi Knight.

I think with Sith, the distinction is even more clear. Sidious selected his apprentices to fulfill certain roles. Maul was akin to a warrior/assassin - a weapon. While Dooku was more of an inquisitor, focusing on manipulation and studying deeper into the Force. However I agree that in SWTOR they are made a lot more clear cut, and many are all rounders e.g. Malgus.

I think he could be a DC member. Remember in TCW we see him as a cunning sith who was able to build a strong powerbase on Mandalore from scratch and not just someone's weapon. That being said I think he would be more suited to be someone like Malgus or Angral who werent DC members but built up their own huge powerbases outside the infighting of the Empire.

Interesting he can endure force lightning, he must have been tortured by the lightning of Sidious so much that all other forms of lightning inflicted on him are next to nothing. Still, enduring and deflecting are very different as he still getting hurt from it. He'd probably get destroyed when he got to Vitiate (mass mind control, intensely powerful lightning) but that would be it.

Well, no doubt he had a deal of ability in manipulation etc. But them again he built his powerbase in a very aggressive and somewhat brutish manner. But given that Councillors rarely take to the front lines, and commanders march in with other troops, I think Maul's skills would be better put to use in direct, solo attacks etc. And I think the likes of Malgus and Vowrawn would outclass him in terms of military skill and cunning.

Hmmm, I think I'd disagree. Some Jedi are tailored to certain fields - although they became more all rounders in the later Old Republic period. I mean take Kreia - she's a Jedi Consular. While someone like Revan is clearly a Jedi Knight.

I think with Sith, the distinction is even more clear. Sidious selected his apprentices to fulfill certain roles. Maul was akin to a warrior/assassin - a weapon. While Dooku was more of an inquisitor, focusing on manipulation and studying deeper into the Force. However I agree that in SWTOR they are made a lot more clear cut, and many are all rounders e.g. Malgus.

Its actually quite perplexing that Revan is a Jedi Knight yet we know more about his power and skill in the force than in actual saber combat. Malgus is a warrior, but he has inquisitor traits (eg. lightning) as well.

Some Sith and Jedi, Master everything. I prefer to just see them as a sith or a jedi.

Well, no doubt he had a deal of ability in manipulation etc. But them again he built his powerbase in a very aggressive and somewhat brutish manner. But given that Councillors rarely take to the front lines, and commanders march in with other troops, I think Maul's skills would be better put to use in direct, solo attacks etc. And I think the likes of Malgus and Vowrawn would outclass him in terms of military skill and cunning.

Well that is a point, he doesnt seem like a very good tactician. Mandalore was in civil war after he beat Pre Visla and rightfully took control of Mandalore, and Bo-Katan's group despite being vastly outnumbered was holding there own against Maul's Death Watch. Emperor's wrath seems like a better fit, however if you ever decide to have another round of Kaggath's I would at least consider Maul's Death Watch have a look.

...however if you ever decide to have another round of Kaggath's I would at least consider Maul's Death Watch have a look.
That has been considered. However I think Pre Viszla will be heading the Death Watch - as they are the original group.

However I would like to somehow include Maul and his Shadow Collective so we shall see.

Darth Maul has next to no force powers and no defense against force attacks (e.g. vs Sidious he got knocked out with a force push then begged for his life while getting zapped).

A Jedi consular would simply force push the top of his saberstaff, sending the tip into his head and killing him within moments of the fight starting.

A smuggler would fire his scattergun, and Maul would have no way to deflect a diffuse mass of pellets with his lightsaber. Again Maul would die moments into the fight. Similarly he would not have the reflexes to parry the volume of fire put out by a trooper's minigun.

The Jedi/Sith of the PT were truly pitiful and were no match for blasters. As we saw in the Phantom Menace one shileded droideka/destroyer droid is the equal of a Jedi Master like Qui-Gon. Jedi died en masse trying to save Obi-Wan in the Geonosis Arena. It is no wonder the Jedi Order was wiped out by clones and the Republic needed clones in the first place. The Jedi had neglected their ranged force powers and focused almost exclusively on lightsaber training, which due to simple geometry of lines cannot deflect volley fire (3 or more bolts hitting at the same time). The massed ranks of clone troopers that assaulted the Jedi Temple in Ep III would have been sitting ducks for ranged force AoE attacks. But instead of using their powers to throw the troopers around like ragdolls or burn them to a crisp with arcing lightning attacks, the jedi brought a knife to a gunfight.

Jedi using lightsabers when they have magic (Force) makes as much sense as speccing a stereotypical mage for melee combat.

Edited by Kharnamatic

He would be the same.Personal assassin of some Darth.You know ... something like the assassin Lord Grathan sends after the sith warrior after you finish Dromund Kaas quest line and go to your ship.

offtopic:

Its actually quite perplexing that Revan is a Jedi Knight yet we know more about his power and skill in the force than in actual saber combat. Malgus is a warrior, but he has inquisitor traits (eg. lightning) as well.

This is not an inquisitor trait its a sith trait.All sith above Sith Lord or even bellow that if you have talent for sorcery, propably can use force lightning.Doesn't matter if the focus of his study is sorcery or martial prowess.Its a common dark side ability.

The Warrior in the game not being able to use it is a gameplay mechanic ,not a lore one.

The same goes for Darth Nox and lightsaber prowess.

Edited by Kaedusz

The Jedi/Sith of the PT were truly pitiful and were no match for blasters. As we saw in the Phantom Menace one shileded droideka/destroyer droid is the equal of a Jedi Master like Qui-Gon. Jedi died en masse trying to save Obi-Wan in the Geonosis Arena. It is no wonder the Jedi Order was wiped out by clones and the Republic needed clones in the first place. The Jedi had neglected their ranged force powers and focused almost exclusively on lightsaber training, which due to simple geometry of lines cannot deflect volley fire (3 or more bolts hitting at the same time). The massed ranks of clone troopers that assaulted the Jedi Temple in Ep III would have been sitting ducks for ranged force AoE attacks. But instead of using their powers to throw the troopers around like ragdolls or burn them to a crisp with arcing lightning attacks, the jedi brought a knife to a gunfight.

Jedi using lightsabers when they have magic (Force) makes as much sense as speccing a stereotypical mage for melee combat.

Heh, I love to see someone else who thinks the reputation of the PT Jedi is a bit inflated. It is true that we rarely see the PT Jedi actually use the Force effectively, they're pretty much exclusively Jedi Guardians at that point. Even Yoda resorts to using a lightsaber more often than not.

Although there was a similar discussion to this in a thread from a few weeks ago, but that was more exclusively about the Jedi. Link here

Just because Sidious was "the most powerful Sith Lord" doesn't mean Maul would be a powerful combatant. Power does not equal swordsmanship. At the same time, power is also relative. A strong force connection does not mean that a combatant will be talented at one thing or another. Take Bastila's battle meditation, for instance. She wasn't considered to be absurdly powerful, but her innate talent for that one power amplified her existing potential and allowed her to change the course of entire battles.

So, back to Maul. He's trained in Juyo, Niman, and Jar'Kai. Good for him.

All of these forms were developed long before the Great Galactic War, and the Sith under Vitiate had even developed their own particular combat styles during their exile. We have no idea if any of these teachings were later incorporated into Maul's training because Vitiate's empire was something of a bastard child of the original Sith.

So any Sith that Maul might face during the Cold War Era are going to be trained in the same, if not more, forms that he is. Additionally, most Sith Warriors in this era also made use of the Force to augment their combat abilities with tremendous leaps, defensive techniques, force rage, etc.

I just don't see Maul as being particularly powerful, or really capable of keeping up with the deadly warriors we see running around in Vitiate's empire.

That's not saying much. People can shrug off a bullet or shrapnel wound, even potentially fatal ones, in the short term. But afterwards, Maul was probably hurting considerably from that attack. You cannot simply "endure" serious injuries like those inflicted by lightning. Any suitably powerful Force user could flatten Maul with lightning, or just pin him underneath something heavy and then keep blasting him.

Actually, he was more of a temporary tool. Used and then discarded long prior to the Clone Wars.

Sidious and his master had grown far more powerful than any of the Sith Empire.

That's simply not true.Just because they changed tactics and the Sith Order changed the nature of its organisation doesn't mean that much regarding the power of its 2 members.

For example it is said many times in the Plagueis novel that many secrets known to the ancient sith have been lost.

Yes the sith on the line of Bane spend many generations gathering knowledge and recovering lost secrets and each Sith Lord contributed in some way in his study of the dark side... culminating in Sidious , but still ...

hardly the sith of the Rule of Two ,Plagueis and Sidious including ,are ''far more powerful'' then the Sith of both Sith Empires before Darth Ruin.

Also remember that Bane kinda started from scratch because the sith in the Brotherhood of Darkness were a joke.

Meanwhile the sith in both empires had a thriving tradition and practice of sith sorcery along with many other dark side practices for many hundreds of generation.The notion that the Sith of the Rule of Two are some kind of ''ultimate sith'' compared the ancient sith is laughable.And is nothing more than fanboyism aimed at making favoroite movie characters into gods.

Not to mention the setback of Darth Gravid .

Regarding Maul- he would simply be one of thousands of anonymous sith warriors in this era.

Edited by Kaedusz

That's simply not true.Just because they changed tactics and the Sith Order changed the nature of its organisation doesn't mean that much regarding the power of its 2 members.

For example it is said many times in the Plagueis novel that many secrets known to the ancient sith have been lost.

Yes the sith on the line of Bane spend many generations gathering knowledge and recovering lost secrets and each Sith Lord contributed in some way in his study of the dark side... culminating in Sidious , but still ...

hardly the sith of the Rule of Two ,Plagueis and Sidious including ,are ''far more powerful'' then the Sith of both Sith Empires before Darth Ruin.

Also remember that Bane kinda started from scratch because the sith in the Brotherhood of Darkness were a joke.

Meanwhile the sith in both empires had a thriving tradition and practice of sith sorcery along with many other dark side practices for many hundreds of generation.The notion that the Sith of the Rule of Two are some kind of ''ultimate sith'' compared the ancient sith is laughable.And is nothing more than fanboyism aimed at making favoroite movie characters gods.

Not to mention the setback of Darth Gravid .

Except that Sidious is the ultimate Sith Lord. The most powerful Sith Lord to ever live. You can't dispute this G-CANON fact. Simply look at his abilities, they outclass all that came before.

Except that Sidious is the ultimate Sith Lord. The most powerful Sith Lord to ever live.[/color]

Every time i read this ,here on these forums my head hurts.Repeated over and over and over like some mantra.Lol.

The only proof that he is the most powerful is simply a statement in wookiepedia,a statement by himself in the Plagueis novel to be exact .Exactly looking at his abilities make me think he is not most powerful and i don't consider the old EU-Dark Empire for example for something to be taken seriously.

Yes, amongs the most powerful sith lords ever,but ''the most'',hardly.

Edited by Kaedusz

Darth Maul has next to no force powers and no defense against force attacks (e.g. vs Sidious he got knocked out with a force push then begged for his life while getting zapped).

A Jedi consular would simply force push the top of his saberstaff, sending the tip into his head and killing him within moments of the fight starting.

A smuggler would fire his scattergun, and Maul would have no way to deflect a diffuse mass of pellets with his lightsaber. Again Maul would die moments into the fight. Similarly he would not have the reflexes to parry the volume of fire put out by a trooper's minigun.

Lol Darth Maul might not be able to deflect scattergun, but he sure as hell can dodge it. Darth Maul has showned great finesse. Out of all the sabre duels i have seen in the movies/tv shows, darth maul always seemed to be the most agile. I think Darth Maul being a weapon is spot on. I think darth maul can only be defeated by manipulation of the system, something all the classes in swtor seem well equiped to do. Darth Maul is most effective when directed towards the right direction.

You have to remember Darth Maul has been trained by Sidious. I think the only person above Darth Maul other then Sidious is Darth Vader