Story content in the new expansion

Sverrir

Hey fellow players.

I was very excited to learn of the new expansion this morning but realising that the storyline is about a diabolical plan of the Hutt cartel, my hopes of Bioware planing to ever make seperate story for every 8 classes again, have faded. I don´t want to play the exact story line over and over again on my several characters, diversity in story between classes was one of the selling points of this game and now that Bioware is selling an update, I think they owe their players that much. I´ve been playing since day one and I really like the universe Bioware has built but this repetative content isn´t as exciting as working your way through personal matters of your character, witch gets you more connected with your character and that was the major thing that drew players to play this game from other mmo´s....Then slowly repetative content killed the excitement of trying other classes ect. Sure Bioware can throw at us a few flashpoints, warzones, operations and rewards but that will only stay fun for a very short while and will never make this game great. Bioware should focus on making new worlds with only class story content with as little side quests as possible to make replay more fun. I don´t want to experience all future planets to be story-wise like Ilum where the story is only faction based.

If this update will have diversity between classes then KUDOS! but if not I´d atleast soon want to hear if they ever plan on doing so.

Edited by Sverrir

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look I'm grateful for new story content and all the other features announced with this expansion. Especially when it only costs 10 bucks as a subscriber. For those who are whining Makeb wasn't released this year per e3 trailer and isn't free, keep in mind e3 was before a round of layoffs and free to play. The game's schedule of features clearly had to change...deal with it.

The reason I'm posting though is I would like to know if the new story missions will be class specific. If so, ill be extremely happy but I suspect they won't be...which is really unfortunate because that only establishes the precedent to really never have class specific story missions again. I get that they are expensive and costly to produce but then I just feels like makeb really is just another planet with maybe more story missions on it then your typical planet...

Chapter 4 is different for every class. The trooper will do Trooper stuff, the knight will do Knight Stuff and the same with all the other classes. Makev will be like ALL the other planets, the MAIN quest chain common for everybody and your own class quests.

They've said there will be no "class story" (as in like Ch1 to Ch3 8 seperate stories) in Makeb or for the foreseeable future.

And we can only take them at their word.

To be fair, we were also told Makeb would be released THIS year...

Chapter 4 is different for every class. The trooper will do Trooper stuff, the knight will do Knight Stuff and the same with all the other classes. Makev will be like ALL the other planets, the MAIN quest chain common for everybody and your own class quests.

Look I really hope you're right but I don't think you are...During the live stream, the devs were asked specifically about expansion of new class specific missions I think as it related to Makeb. Their response was basically NPCs on Makeb will recognize the accomplishments of our characters which to me was a vague way of saying chapter 4 (ie. Makeb) will be one storyline for Empire and one for Republic but nothing more specific than that...

A non class specific story can be really good. Doesn't have to be class stories all of the time. In fact BW might want to start adding in non class specific story arcs into their game and build up a larger story. But do it in a few quests here and there. Call it something new if you want to.

But I'm not going to say this is bad before giving it a try.

Look I really hope you're right but I don't think you are...During the live stream, the devs were asked specifically about expansion of new class specific missions I think as it related to Makeb. Their response was basically NPCs on Makeb will recognize the accomplishments of our characters which to me was a vague way of saying chapter 4 (ie. Makeb) will be one storyline for Empire and one for Republic but nothing more specific than that...

Also to further this, one of the latest things I read had one of the developers commenting that they were "playing through the Imperial story...." and commenting on how it was coming out.

Not the Bh story, or the Smuggler Story, or the Warrior story....but the Imperial Story. This certainly makes one think there are simply 2 angles to the new story, Imperial and Republic.

Pretty sure this is going to be a storyline that all will share in the same way. obviously this will hit the Alts replayability...but what can you do.

It could very well be a great story with which to pass 5 levels.

A non class specific story can be really good. Doesn't have to be class stories all of the time. In fact BW might want to start adding in non class specific story arcs into their game and build up a larger story. But do it in a few quests here and there. Call it something new if you want to.

Every planet already has a world story. :confused: (as well as class story)

A non class specific story can be really good.

Agreed.

Without spoilers...Im not sure any of my 50's need much more in their class stories. My Sorceror for instance feels like his class story arc is finished. Not sure what would be added to it at this point that would be able to Start--> Complete in 5 levels, and not just feel tacked on.

Time to branch out for something new.

Same. i'm excited for it honestly.

With out a doubt it can be really good but it is terrible for replay...We have already tried this kind of story and it was on Ilum and when having several characters it isn´t fun replaying it over and over again. Thats why people prefer the class stories as we were led to belive that we could always have a different experience with every class but now it looks like there is no point in having several characters if you made them for the story. so if you have played Ilum story several times you can say for sure that you have tried this republic-imperial story concept.

Edited by Sverrir

i have been looking through all the blurb for the expansion and i cant find anywhere where is says specifically that there will be new class specific story lines.

now i don't want to stir the pot, the SWTOR community is doing a fine job of that without my help, but i will be very disappointed if the expansion is just a generic world quest story with no new class story.

class story is one of the best things about SWTOR for me, so i am wondering if anyone has any information as to whether we will be getting more class story in the expansion?

i have been looking through all the blurb for the expansion and i cant find anywhere where is says specifically that there will be new class specific story lines.

now i don't want to stir the pot, the SWTOR community is doing a fine job of that without my help, but i will be very disappointed if the expansion is just a generic world quest story with no new class story.

class story is one of the best things about SWTOR for me, so i am wondering if anyone has any information as to whether we will be getting more class story in the expansion?

That is what it is, they've said so on two seperate occasions. It may or may not be called Ch4, but it will be a world story (i.e. 1 story per factions) not 8 class stories. :(

So much for my dream of my Sith Inquisitor taking over the whole Empire and doing Dark council buissness now i´m stuck at nearly the top of the Sith power ladder doing millitary buissness for the Empire without thinking about my personal gains, doesn´t fit my Inquisitor at all :p

• Dev Post

Hi everyone - I asked Jeff Hickman for some clarification for you on whether Makeb will feature an extension of class stories. Here's the info:

"The intent for Rise of the Hutt Cartel is to continue your character's story, but envisioned as part of the ongoing struggle of the Empire vs. the Republic. There are lots of great moments for you to enjoy, and it will be shared as two clear storylines. No class specific storylines are included, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."

We hope this helps clarify!

i dont understand inquisitors that think that their story line was wrapped up... i made like 3-5 decisions at the end of what was written that should have enormous impact on future telling of the story... let alone all my companions and I have been through...

and the end of the inquisitor story to me seemed like just the beginning.

Hi everyone - I asked Jeff Hickman for some clarification for you on whether Makeb will feature an extension of class stories. Here's the info:

"The intent for Rise of the Hutt Cartel is to continue your character's story, but envisioned as part of the ongoing struggle of the Empire vs. the Republic. There are lots of great moments for you to enjoy, and it will be shared as two clear storylines. No class specific storylines are included, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."

I hate it whenever people respond to the CS in a negative/snarky way... guess I'm slipping to the dark side.

However, notice the conspicuous lack of any "...but it's in the works," or "that's definitely something that we are talking about" comments on the class story in that remark.

/sadface

I would have much rather hickman say that BW has plans for continuing all of the storylines... but i will take ommision as a statement of neglect for what I consider to be the most important aspect of this game... BW storytelling specific to the character being role played

I hate it whenever people respond to the CS in a negative/snarky way... guess I'm slipping to the dark side.

However, notice the conspicuous lack of any "...but it's in the works," or "that's definitely something that we are talking about" comments on the class story in that remark.

/sadface

i do hope they are working on new class story content as for me that what sets this mmo apart for me. i like all the endgame stuff as much as the next guy but that not something that other mmo's do just as well, its the class story's that keep me subed to Swtor, so i can level alts and play there story's.

it does clarify and its not what i wanted, my money will now go elsewhere, thank you