Best class leveling duo?

kel-morian

Hey all,

So a friend of mine is joining me in SWTOR and we are going to start fresh toons together. I was wondering what would be a good pairing in terms of class/companion synergy.

I haven't been back to SWTOR very long myself but we were thinking Jugg/Sorc for tank/heals for dungons and PVP and then dps while leveling. The other thought was Jugg/Assassin for tank/stealth dps.

Any thoughts?

My thought would be for one to level as a tank or hybrid-tank assassin and the other to go healing operative.

That way, you get your tank/heal combo plus with two stealth classes, you should be able to 2 man almost every 4man heroic in the game (though there is at least one this will not work on on the planet of belsavis).

Plus, storywise, you get to see two totally different sides to the empire.

My friend and I play together all the time. That question is answered with another question: What do you like to do? PvP, PvE, Flash Points, Ops? If you want to do mostly questing with a bit of pvp then double dps is the way to go. Double sent, gunslinger/sage, so on. It's wise to pick a mele class as well as a ranged class. Also wise to go separate main class such as smuggler/trooper so you can see two class stories at once.

If you intend on doing any kind of Heroic or Flashpoint you can still do double dps but it is not wise. I suggest going one dps and the other either a tank or a healer, that way it is easier to find people to do them. To make heroics and flashpoints pop almost as soon as you want to do them go healer/tank. Healer/tank is also really nice for pvp. Healer/tank is not however good at basic PvE, you will be able to do anything but it is VERY slow. Even with companions.

Currently I am running a sniper and my buddy a Jug, we are able to do all the content and heroics and flashpoints are most of the time easy to put together. On our other classes I run a sent and he a sage healer. Same type of wait times. Good luck!

TL;DR PvE non heroic/PvP: double dps

PvE heroic/flashpoints: one healer or tank the other a dps

PvP only: any class combo works great however you will be able to help your team a lot more if one is tank . the other is healer.

A friend of mine and myself have been leveling pretty easily using his Vanguard [dps spec, middle tree, I don't remember the name, it would be Advanced Prototype for the Bounty Hunter] and my Scoundrel [scrapper specced], and we've been doing just fine. He uses Elara Dorne and I use Risha, it's all cakewalk. He tanks when he have troubles and I back up heal if needed, it works out well though. The only issue is longer queues for flashpoints, but we've been skipping them lately, so it wasn't too big of a deal really.

Thanks for all the replies.

One thing I am worried about if I go with Operative, will I be forced to heal during Ops or is the class good enough to DPS? Also does SWTOR have a feature like WOW where you can switch your talent trees on the fly?

For Operations, as an Operative, you'll more than likely be requested to heal, as their DPS is inferior to that of Snipers, Marauders, etc. mainly because their heavy hitters for DPS are all melee range abilities, and the class has no gap closer to use during multi-target fights.

Yes, there is a Legacy Perk you can purchase, that will allow in-the-field respecs on a cooldown. There is also an in-the-field repair droid you can purchase, which is just as helpful.

Yes, there is a Legacy Perk you can purchase, that will allow in-the-field respecs on a cooldown. There is also an in-the-field repair droid you can purchase, which is just as helpful.

Good to know. I didn't bother to look. I'd rather see dual spec though.

As for operative, you can hybrid med/conceal or something for both some dps and heal and with modest purples can heal most HM's that way and still contribute to dps if your team is strong. Hybrid is great in pvp too. Expect high end end game to be full med though. Hopefully some top tier talent and core skill rotation changes come to concealment and lethality though someday.

Thanks for all the replies.

One thing I am worried about if I go with Operative, will I be forced to heal during Ops or is the class good enough to DPS? Also does SWTOR have a feature like WOW where you can switch your talent trees on the fly?

Good enough, yes.

However, dps operatives are, of the advanced classes, probably the worst one to take into an operation. Just about all melee specs either do more sustained damage, have gap closers or take damage better (usually all 3). And all ranged take less damage being out of harm's way more often while still doing slightly more damage most of the time.

While I've been in hardmode operations with dps operatives (rarely), I don't remember wiping because of one.

Still, if you go dps on an operative, and there were a "draft" so to speak, to decide who gets to go to an operation based on usefulness, you would be picked dead last.

Healing, on the other hand, for a minority of fights (usually things that require a lot of movement; in more stationary fights, sorcs do the best) and every pvp map other than huttball, operatives are the optimal choice for healers.

Edited by Larry_Dallas

i agree with sin/shaow and op/scoundrel... double stealth tank and heal when u need, or double dps... lack of ranged and in combat cc might hurt a bit.

Operatives have droid CC ... and both have stealth-sleeping, meaning fights with droids or several gold NPC's you can very easily pre-plan who gets CC'd and wipe the floor with the remaining before any go out of sleep mode.