Companion like/dislikes

Protoaloe

Just wondering about companions affection. My companion told me bluntly that he would 'devour' me and that he is kind of sick of me etc, voicing kind of hatred.

His affection to me is like 15 or something, but I have not had him for all that long I am only lvl 11. I lost 30 affection points in one hit when I gave an answer to a 'Lord' that was the only reasonable answer I could give without getting me killed, and my companion did 'not like it' apparently.

Anyway, if a companion does not like you, is he only less effective or can he leave? Can he kill you and leave?

What is more important, keeping my companion happy or making sure that as an Imperial I do ot turn out to be too 'good' for my own good?

The affection system is interesting in TOR. Unfortunately (from my perspective anyway) the system itself is cross-purposes with the way I like to role-play my characters.

As an example, I played my Commando as a stick-in-the-mud, by-the-books soldier. Any conversations with Tanno Vik resulted in him always hating me. Because his affection never got very high, I was unable to progress very far in his conversation tree without giving him "gifts".

The way system the system currently is, it promotes acting in a way that a companion will like, rather than acting in a way you think your character should.

Luckily, affection only affects crafting. And you can make up for "bad" conversation choices with gifts.

My recommendation to you is to pick the conversation choices you think is appropriate for your character. There are no real wrong answers that will affect your ability to do combat, or level your character, or affect your storyline.

Edited by Khevar

^^ this

minor addition: the choices might change the ability to 'romance' a particular companion, so if that's something you want to do, be certain to choose appropriately. ...and yes, just like in real life, you might have to lie (or change your opinion) a bit to appease the "potential mate" ;)

If you find a conversation where you are constantly racking up -ve companion affection you can always press 'esc' to cancel the convo, dismiss that companion and then start the conversation again choosing the answers you feel fit you best. Your companion won't take affection losses (or gains) while they are dismissed.

Don't worry about "farming" points - affection and LS/DS. Affection can be increased with gifts and the only thing that LS/DS affects while leveling is your ability to use relics. And I played a neutral character and did not miss relics for one second.

Up until this game, I felt that role-playing in an MMO was silly - that's what tabletop RPGs are for. This is the first MMO where I have actually figured out personalities for my characters. And those personalities do adapt over time but I do not allow LS/DS choices or affection gains or losses to determine what conversation choices I make.

In short I agree with Khevar when he said,

My recommendation to you is to pick the conversation choices you think is appropriate for your character. There are no real wrong answers that will affect your ability to do combat, or level your character, or affect your storyline.

Corso hates my smuggler, Ry'nar. Ry'nar does anything for a credit, has flaky ethics, and is a shamless flirt. Do I care? No. So far, the conversations I have done have been more or less parallel to Corso's preferences, but damned if I'm going to change how I play my character to kiss *** to my sidekick.

Both Mako on my Bounty Hunter and Corso on my Smuggler are lightside oriented. That's fine with me, since I play all my characters lightside.

On my Sorc that leads to problems with my Sorcs first companion Khem. He is a Dark Sider and so it's - a lot every time I've used him in conversations. But that's ok, the feeling is mutual. I dislike the big ugly brute myself. :D

Playing my Smuggler mostly nowadays. And I'm using Risha exclusively. And even though she doesn't agree with all my decisions. My smuggler and her do share the same sarcastic humor / snide remarks, which grants a lot of + and she also loves credits, which makes it even easier to raise her affection. I'm almost at 5k affection with her. Just with chatting and a few gifts I pick up through my Diplomacy skills.

Sounds like Khem Val, he likes for you to pick the mean or violent choices usually.

If you want to figure out likes/dislikes for yourself it's doable. Also if you google swtor companion affection guide you'll find sites that list it all out for you.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Just wondering about companions affection. My companion told me bluntly that he would 'devour' me and that he is kind of sick of me etc, voicing kind of hatred.

His affection to me is like 15 or something, but I have not had him for all that long I am only lvl 11. I lost 30 affection points in one hit when I gave an answer to a 'Lord' that was the only reasonable answer I could give without getting me killed, and my companion did 'not like it' apparently.

Anyway, if a companion does not like you, is he only less effective or can he leave? Can he kill you and leave?

What is more important, keeping my companion happy or making sure that as an Imperial I do ot turn out to be too 'good' for my own good?

I highly doubt that answering a lord wrong will get you killed. Unless you already have the oppertunity to kill them as part of your quest you will be fine. In fact, khem does not like when you kiss up to the Lords on korriban, so I suggest that you do so, especially if you are going darkside. Companions can not kill you, they can't even attack you unless its part if your story questline. Also, there is no chance if them getting mad and leaving. Really the only thing affection ffects is their crafting ability and the companion quests.

I highly doubt that answering a lord wrong will get you killed.

No, but almost...

Early In the Agent's story line on DK. If you refuse to kneel to the head of the dark council (forget his name), you get a nice dose of force lightning, the conversation immediately ends and you're sent directly to the med-center

Edited by CaptMurphy

No, but almost...

Early In the Agent's story line on DK. If you refuse to kneel to the head of the dark council (forget his name), you get a nice dose of force lightning, the conversation immediately ends and you're sent directly to the med-center

[/quote

That is not quite accurate.

the agent is not a Sith. This issue is in reference to the Sith inquisitors who have more leeway to "disrespect" another Sith.

• 2 weeks later...

My Consular is lvl 22 now, and Guzon seems to be happiest if my answers are A) honorable, and/or B) aggressive. As for honking off the bad guy, even being diplomatic will eventually lead to a confrontation, so have at it from the word go and he's happy.

My Smuggler is only level 10, and Corso is already scheming to get her in the sack. :)