Obroan Armor

GlassToTheArson

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already decided what my main will look like, even if I do end up getting all 75 before the Dread Masters drop, I'm not going to change my look. The possible set being released I'll pick and choose what best will suit my alts because there already are amazing looking armour in the game. That's why adaptive armour is amazing. I'm not limited to 'showing off' end raid gear as if to prove I'm able to because I have ego and self esteem issues in a game. That's what titles are for. It suits a Dread themed set.

So what I'm getting from you is that it's okay to design mediocre end-game armor because you already have your look, and it doesn't really matter what any of that stuff looks like since you're just going to rip the mods out regardless. Is that about right?

Also, just because you're fine with mediocrity, doesn't mean that the rest of us are. This is mostly about taste, but when I hear hundreds of people on my server, other servers, in my guild, in my alt's guilds, on Facebook, and strangers that I meet that play TOR (a couple of guys at a breakfast joint I frequent) agree that their gear design is lackluster at best, then there's a problem.

I think if they just threw out a few designs in between large patches, or expansions and had the community vote on them, then there would be more satisfaction with the gear.

My biggest point is, they shouldn't design the gear with the idea that people are just going to rip the mods out. That breeds apathy in design.

that kinda proves his point... :rolleyes:

whatever I liked the rakata stuff, at least you could see the actual though and effort put in them, you got to admit compared to the new gear that mirrors the opposite faction and the stuff that looks nothing like what a trooper uses or a smuggler, I can honestly say I want the rakata gear look back, I loved those sets, they were not bad, keep in mind the gear had to look star wars while at the same time unique, such as sith juggernauts wearing a lot of armor into combat the gear reflected that, the agent would wear an advanced helmet and it reflected that, the sith inquisitor would wear something with bold colors in a display of both power and opulence, and it did just that. The point is, anyone see that amount of though go into designing obroan?

BW at the time actually thought those looked good.

they looked great, it was distinctly star wars and distinctly star wars the old republic and actually made for each individual class based on what would make sense, such as a juggernaut wearing lots of heavy armor into combat, an inquisitor wearing bold colors in a display of power and opulence, or the jedi consular who,being diplomatic and preferring something light to wear, would dress more akin to a senator, not like this new high tier stuff coming out with very little though going into what a member of that class would honestly wear and that they would not just choose to wear a blue or red version of the suit that the mirror class would wear. Bioware if you can hear me put more thought into gear like you did in the beginning

Edited by Sangrar

they looked great, it was distinctly star wars and distinctly star wars the old republic and actually made for each individual class based on what would make sense, such as a juggernaut wearing lots of heavy armor into combat, an inquisitor wearing bold colors in a display of power and opulence, or the jedi consular who,being diplomatic and preferring something light to wear, would dress more akin to a senator, not like this new high tier stuff coming out with very little though going into what a member of that class would honestly wear and that they would not just choose to wear a blue or red version of the suit that the mirror class would wear. Bioware if you can hear me put more thought into gear like you did in the beginning

Fully agree

Even our avatars on this forum show what we want to keep seeing.

Edited by Heaviermetal

The armor may not be 100% finalized but I'd bet money that these armors are what we are going to get. I think the main point is that none of the end game armors since 1.0 looked like they really belonged in Star Wars. There were a few that had some pieces which weren't too bad or they looked fine if you hid the helmet but generally speaking most of the end game stuff has always looked like ****.

When I earn a piece of endgame gear I'd like to be able to use it as is without feeling that's it's so ugly that I've got no choice but to pull the mods out of it. I would love to be able to walk around fleet in a complete set of end game armor and say "yeah I earned that." Not get that OMG *** is that guy wearing kind of feeling.

It's a big galaxy and if you want some of this weird **** in the game I've got no problem with that. But the BULK of all end game armors and much of the gear in general is *********** hideous and has been from day one. BioWare seems to reserve the better looking **** for the Cartel Market alone. That's not right.

The armor may not be 100% finalized but I'd bet money that these armors are what we are going to get. I think the main point is that none of the end game armors since 1.0 looked like they really belonged in Star Wars. There were a few that had some pieces which weren't too bad or they looked fine if you hid the helmet but generally speaking most of the end game stuff has always looked like ****.

When I earn a piece of endgame gear I'd like to be able to use it as is without feeling that's it's so ugly that I've got no choice but to pull the mods out of it. I would love to be able to walk around fleet in a complete set of end game armor and say "yeah I earned that." Not get that OMG *** is that guy wearing kind of feeling.

It's a big galaxy and if you want some of this weird **** in the game I've got no problem with that. But the BULK of all end game armors and much of the gear in general is *********** hideous and has been from day one. BioWare seems to reserve the better looking **** for the Cartel Market alone. That's not right.

I agree. I'll admit, I shelled out for the Sith Eradicator armor. I think that's the point. The armor they know people will REALLY want, they only make available through the Cartel Store.

I think once again, the almighty dollar has taken precedence over the consumers and what would truly make them happy. Bioware has the ability to give us exactly what we want; They simply won't.

Edited by GlassToTheArson

I agree. I'll admit, I shelled out for the Sith Eradicator armor. I think that's the point. The armor they know people will REALLY want, they only make available through the Cartel Store.

I think once again, the almighty dollar has taken precedence over the consumers and what would truly make them happy. Bioware has the ability to give us exactly what we want; They simply won't.

I agree. They want people to do more group-activities like 8- and 16-man raids, but have this policy of withholding the rewards people actually want for the CM.

I just have a hard time believing the artists over there actually draw this stuff up and say to themselves, "This is awesome, I would totally put this on my character (if I ever create an account to play)".

so then you would rather have a non adaptive faction restricted tier version of the eradicator set rather then it being adaptable in the collections and available to both factions just so you don't have to pay credits or cartel coins to acquire it?

if it was really just about the money all the cartel gear would be BOP just like most F2P games. the way they handle the cartel market is beneficial for both the players [those with time or those with money] and helps support the game

I like how it looks for force users. Not so much digging the force user-esc for the BH and agents.

In a way i'm kinda glad that it's nothing I would wear for my ranged none force user classes... So that when they change the PvP armour / grind again, I won't have to trade it in after augmenting it, for the "new" ranked gear set.

Because let's face it, the churn of gear is pretty high

What disappoints me most about the current look of the obroan armour is the fact that it looks pretty much the exact same for each class and for both factions. In fact, the only difference between the imp and rep variations happens to be the colour and in the knight's case, a hood.

It's just extremely lazy and even seems like a lame *** attempt by BW to minimize the difference between the factions in a desperate bid to balance out the factions.

for **** sakes, one of the biggest factors why a person chooses a faction is based on the gear and I'm damn sure the majority of the people like the factions to have their own unique set of gear.

Just lazy and pathetic..

whatever I liked the rakata stuff, at least you could see the actual though and effort put in them, you got to admit compared to the new gear that mirrors the opposite faction and the stuff that looks nothing like what a trooper uses or a smuggler, I can honestly say I want the rakata gear look back, I loved those sets, they were not bad, keep in mind the gear had to look star wars while at the same time unique, such as sith juggernauts wearing a lot of armor into combat the gear reflected that, the agent would wear an advanced helmet and it reflected that, the sith inquisitor would wear something with bold colors in a display of both power and opulence, and it did just that. The point is, anyone see that amount of though go into designing obroan?

Yea, some of the rakata gear still happens to be among the best looking gear in the game. Especially for agents who could look very similar to ninjas. :)

I still think that the battle master warrior and shadow gear happens to be among the best looking gear in the game. Mind you, with the warrior gear, the shoulder pads could stand to have their size reduce as well as the spikes.

On an added note: I think it's pretty safe to say that gothic fashion has had been on influence on sith attire. So, I really do think that BW needs to do some research on gothic fashion, sith attire outside of ToR, and maybe even look at what black metal bands tend to wear. Then they need to make sure that it would actually be possible for one to move freely in the gear they come up with to keep things from getting too far over the top.

I definitely wouldn't mind if BW added Darth Talon's outfit to the game or used it for influence. :D

I'm sure someone has said this by now, but they all look the friggin same. :rolleyes: Yes there is a SLIGHT difference with a high emphasis on SLIGHT. Since it's still subject to change I won't freak out yet, although I believe we will end up getting this set. Each armor set should represent it's particular AC not be carbon copies of each other.

I will admit this armor set would be cool for one of the classes (inq) but the fact that all 8 classes armor look the exact same is a huge derp.

Really? Then how do you explain the tio/col/rak stuff?

Well there had some really bad gear designers and so we ended up with the Tionese-Rakata sets which make even the sets on the PTS look gorgeous. Luckily they got rid of those hideously ugly sets in 2.0.

To each there own I guess, I found the original PvE sets to be UGLY AS SIN.

You obviously missed all the posts complaining about Rakata et al in a not dissimilar manner to you earlier spaz out post in this very thread. I'm pretty sure some people even called it Power Ranger armor.

If you don't like the looks, pull the mods and put it in something you like. The whole look equals power ideal is dead, even in the king of looks equal power, WoW, its dead by popular demand. If you want to show off how awesome you are, wear the title or ride the mount, or maybe accept that no one else cares that you killed Baddy Mc Dadenstine on NiM.

Edited by MaximusRex

You obviously missed all the posts complaining about Rakata et al in a not dissimilar manner to you earlier spaz out post in this very thread. I'm pretty sure some people even called it Power Ranger armor.

If you don't like the looks, pull the mods and put it in something you like. The whole look equals power ideal is dead, even in the king of looks equal power, WoW, its dead by popular demand. If you want to show off how awesome you are, wear the title or ride the mount, or maybe accept that no one else cares that you killed Baddy Mc Dadenstine on NiM.

why should everything be based on the fact we can mod it. how are gear looks shouldn't be made based o n that fact. If I want to show off my high tier gear but hate how it looks whats the point? Gear should not be made on the assumption we will just mod it

Not really digging the ugly as hell power rangers suits.

Also good job just copy pasting the color. Let's hope that they at least give every class it's own color, so we can be real power rangers instead of just various flavors of red ranger/blue ranger. I mean, they'd still be ugly, but at least they wouldn't be the same identical shades of red and blue.

And here I thought they took some positive steps forward in regards to tier in ROTHC. The agent sets were great, the inquisitor sets (with the exception of the arkanian helm) were leaps and bounds better than the rakata/campaign sets, and overall I was like "well, they still don't -quite- hit the star wars flavor, but they're getting closer!"

Now I'm just like "WHERE DID WE ALL GO WRONG. WHAT ARE THESE THINGS."

Guess they're REALLY pushing the cartel market. It's a shame, I wish we could have good tier gear AND good cartel market pieces.

If these ARE the placeholder sets then that's fine. YOu need to put something on the PTR. But if they aren't, well then that just confirms that all of the good armor comes from the cash shop, and that you only really pvp/raid for mods. Which sucks because, how are you going to show off your progression if you can't look awesome in your high-end diggs? Am I right?

I blame John Riccitiello. Get bent, John.

I feel like a paranoid lunatic at this point, but with such fraking awful designs for this latest tier, even if it's placeholders (which I imagine will be very close to the finished product, just with a few alterations, otherwise why not use an existing armor set as "placeholder") I can only think that they're pushing the cartel market harder than ever :(

Edited by Arenatah