Worst/Most pointless companions in the game?

Guildrum

I have to say that sergeant Rusk for the Knight is most pointless, i've said it before and i'll say it again, i don't actually need him in my crew, hes a big tough republic soldier who stands around all day on my ship. i would actually prefer to be able to let him leave during a class quest, perhaps he could have his own heroic moment at the start of act IV which would allow you to ask republic command to make him an officer, or you could keep him as a companion saying that you need him.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general, companions seem to serve as foils to potential player archetypes, although the last guy tends to suffer a lot from lack of screen time. Here's my opinions on the classes I've gotten far enough along on.

The Sith warrior is pretty good for the most part, with your first four companions each being fairly different (although Jaesa, irregardless of alignment, needs more personality, though). Except for Broonmark; You could remove him from the Sith Warrior story, and you seriously wouldn't notice he was gone. He's completely pointless in that regard, he has no real story arc unlike every other SW companion, and his personality is essentially a less interesting version of Lt. Pierce.

The trooper doesn't actually have any pointless companions, mainly because all 5 have a clear role to play in the squad (unless you're superseding Elara or 4X via class), although I get the feeling Yuun isn't going to be as fleshed out as I would like him to be. Tanno Vik annoys me to no end, but he also has a very good reason to be there from a narrative perspective, both as a foil to me, and as the only companion who gets along with the psycho players.

The Agent: Everyone of the first four companions seems to serve an improtant narrative role, here; Kaliyo serves as a foil to loyalist agents, Vector serves as the idealist, Lokin is the veteran spook, while Temple is a foil to more self-serving, axe-crazy agents. SCORPIO I haven't met yet, so I can't say.

As far as the bounty hunter goes, Blizz represents an optimistic ray of sunshine in a relatively cynical world, Mako is the principled BH, Torion is the warrior-focused BH, and Gault is the heavily Mercenary BH. Skadge I suspect is there to represent the "Psychotic, Axe Crazy, Murder with a Liscence" Bounty Hunter, but I can't be sure because I haven't gotten through Belsaivs yet.

For the Smuggler... Corso is the optimist, Risha is the principled Cynic, while Avaki is purely cynical. I haven't gotten Guss yet, but he seems like the most "Archetypical" of the Smuggler's companions (The Con Man), while Bowdarr is... The Token Wookiee. He suffers from the same situation Broonmark is in, only he isn't the last companion you get..

This thread is a living testimony that you cant please everyone. :eek:

No, as I've said, this is a thread to at least be a bit constructive and at least, keep all of these, "Why do I have Broonmark/Skadge/Billy Joe Jim Bob?!?!?!" threads down, with a central thread to keep them all in. If I want, I could create a favorite companion thread, though I am sure there are plenty already.

For the Smuggler... Corso is the optimist, Risha is the principled Cynic, while Avaki is purely cynical. I haven't gotten Guss yet, but he seems like the most "Archetypical" of the Smuggler's companions (The Con Man), while Bowdarr is... The Token Wookiee. He suffers from the same situation Broonmark is in, only he isn't the last companion you get..

Guss is comic relief. Seriously, bring him along, and as well as decent heals for boss fights, he's funny.

Smuggler: We just need to give them a reason to come out...

Guss: Nope. No way. Not being bait. Not this time.

Edited by Guildrum

From a perspective of "how useful are the individual companions" - then only healers and tanks are useful. DPS are just... pointless.

No. If you are a DPS you should be using healer companion, if you are a tank you should be using a DPS or healer companion, if you are a healer, you still want a DPS companion. Tank companions are the worthless ones.

Edited by Icebergy

Rusk from the JK. he just sorta joins you for no real reason. plus he's so stiff and not really likable at all.

agreed hes my least favorite companion in the game so far. hes made even more pointless by the fact that you get scourge at like the end of the next quest and scourge is just soooo much better in so many different ways:D

I like many others LOATHE Skadge on the BH, seriously, I wish I could send this overgrown toad out my friggen airlock, I have no idea why we needed a token evil teammate THIS evil, and every time that fat tub of lard says "IF IT'LL SHUT YOU UP" when I send him on a mission...good god I wish I could rip out his vocal cords.

Loved all the rest of the BH companions, though I also found Torian dull, at least Gault was funny.

For the inquisitor I really didn't like Khem Val at first, then I started having convo's with him and found that he was growing to respect my character so he grew on me, and believe it or not I like Ashara too, though she is contradictive as all hell and it is irritating that you cant turn her (Sweetheart, let me explain something, you've killed hundreds of jedi with me, I don't think you exactly qualify as a jedi anymore), but that's what the sith pureblood pimp slap is for :D. Overall I liked all the inquis companions actually.

Those are the only two classes I've actually gotten to 50 at this time, but yeah, BW please give me an option to get rid of skadge or, barring that, let me beat him into being a iittle more nicer.

khem i deslike him so much that i have reconsiderd rolling as a sorc.

im sick of hearing about tulok hord he gets in my way every time i want to talk to someone and hes just a borning character to talk to.

as a sorc im anoyed that hes the only tank we get when warriors and knights get 2 i dont want ot have to relay on him all the way to lvl 50.

As dps Sorc I have done fine with Andronikos and then with Ashara and SOrc does get a 2nd tank: Xalek, who of course is bugged and gets no benefit from shield and absorption gear!

Thus Xalek is the worst companion to me (sadly I relaised that after gearing him up and that way I am kinda stuck with him now till I managed to gear up another one, maybe Khem again, since Ashara wears slave girl outfit now LOL)

Why is Xalek the worst? Because he got no story or quests behind him after you get him, the conversations are bring and just end at some point with his swear of allegiance. Boring, he feels like a lategame added appendix.

Plus he is BUGGED which makes him the worst tank pet of all, low chance of shielding and light armor = total paper tank.

khem i deslike him so much that i have reconsiderd rolling as a sorc.

im sick of hearing about tulok hord he gets in my way every time i want to talk to someone and hes just a borning character to talk to.

as a sorc im anoyed that hes the only tank we get when warriors and knights get 2 i dont want ot have to relay on him all the way to lvl 50.

I think Khem is great. He offers to eat anyone that gets in my way. What more could you ask for?

Broonmark I suppose. Much like Skadge for my BH, there's no reason why my warrior would want him on her ship or even get along with him. The first (or nearly first?) time I encountered him I knew I wasn't going to like him. But at least Skadge has some funny lines.

I don't really have any "constructive advice" for Bioware other than that it would be nice if we could turn a companion away if we really wanted to. At least one, that our character would never associate with. Maybe someday they'll add in new things like alternate companion options or some such. I know they've heard suggestions like this before.

No. If you are a DPS you should be using healer companion, if you are a tank you should be using a DPS or healer companion, if you are a healer, you still want a DPS companion. Tank companions are the worthless ones.

I just want to be able to re-kit my companions to serve whatever role I need them to. Until then, everyone except my assigned healer companion (on nearly all my characters) will remain on my ship and be nothing more than a gift opener and mission slave.

Note: I love the concept of the companion system - but it is dreadfully restrictive in my opinion. There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to have Nadia heal using Tech or Force or have M14X reprogrammed to fire kolto rounds at me rather than blaster rounds at the enemy.

I could understand the locked-in nature of companion roles if we could use them in full group Flashpoints and Operations - obviously DPS companions would have a place there. Yet, that isn't possible - at least at this point in time.

Edited by Raeln

Imp Agent-Kaliyo (omg, shutthef***up...u can have the head.

Yeah if you're playing a nice agent, she's as much fun as a rash. I think in the 30+ levels I was stuck with her for I got just over 500 affection with her, and that was really working for it. Every time I gave her a gift it was immediately negated by dialogue.

What does she mean by "dibs on the head" anyway? Is she saying she wants to ..eat.. that guy's head? On the other hand, I can't help but laugh when she calls things like beasts and turrets "dirt bags".

Getting through those levels with her was tough. I'm not sure it's a wise idea to put a very dark or very light companion as the the first one you get, especially when they aren't particularly.. useful. And extra especially when you can't switch them out for a very long time. (I wish I could swap Kaliyo with my inq and take Talos or Ashara. Everyone would be much happier that way.)

So much negativity on these forums. Why all the "which is the worst ..." threads? Why not "which is the best"? pfft

yeah! i agree!. ima hijack this thread and turn it into who we like instead!

well my two favorites are scourge and ashara, for the same reasons oddly enough. its that they're counter to whats expected of you. they both question your code and make you ask questions about it. they put you in positions of having to defend your beliefs which is FAR more interesting than other characters who just go "backstory dump lolz"

i also really like kira and nadia. but maybe i just like having kickbutt female jedi following me around? lol. they're both fun characters to have around. its a real shame nadia comes so late in the game

also, doc has to be my favorite healer ive used. "did you not see my jedi friend?!" talos was pretty cool, i was really thankful for him on my lightside assassin since only talos and ashara really approved of anything i did, got tiresome of constantly having to feed everyone gifts to make up for my choices lol. Gus is also another great healer companion, same with theran....maybe they did that on purpose? making the healer companions very likable?

even as a male, i found corso to be my favorite smuggler companion. he just plays that best friend role so well. he's actually my favorite starter companion of the classes ive played. he just seems to actually like your character, like they'd hang out even when not on the job, most other starter companions don't seem that way.

Lt. Rusk is my second vote. While he isn't an insufferable wretch like Skadge, he is just kinda along for the ride. If I need good dps, I'll break out Kira. Rusk doesn't seem to fit in well with the JK story imho. :rolleyes:

SGT Rusk made my list, and definitely needs to be forced into retirement. The guy is a liability on any mission, as he tends to get his entire squad killed. Yeah, I don't care what military you serve in. ANY NCO that gets his squad or platoon killed on a regular basis and survives would be brought before a review board at the very least, the first time it happened. If it continued to happen that way, he would be court martialed for negligent homicide in the deaths of his men.

I would sooner work for Captain Kirk as a Red Shirt than serve in Rusk's squad! At least there were a couple times when Red Shirts made it back alive! :p

Edited by Captain_Zone

I

The trooper doesn't actually have any pointless companions, mainly because all 5 have a clear role to play in the squad (unless you're superseding Elara or 4X via class), although I get the feeling Yuun isn't going to be as fleshed out as I would like him to be. Tanno Vik annoys me to no end, but he also has a very good reason to be there from a narrative perspective, both as a foil to me, and as the only companion who gets along with the psycho players.

I agree about Tanno, but i really, really wish that we had the option to put a bolt in his head and get Fuse instead. My trooper would not deal with Tanno on any level whatsoever, except that the game forces me to tolerate him. My trooper would have put a blaster bolt through his skull when he caught up to him on Balmora, and I don’t care how good with explosives he his.

Edited by TheBentOne

Every BH companion besides Torian and Mako.

I've now played through on five different classes, and each companion had his or her uses (well, except the droid) except for the three useless BH companions. Now, in fairness, they all add a great deal to the story, but that just further emphasizes the fact that the BH was designed around story and not functionality.

Of the five (IA, Inq, BH, SW and JC), the Inquisitor has the best assortment of companions. Each one has his or her use and each one has value. Granted, I use Ashara most of the time, but I swap her out often as well.

The single most usefull is probably Torian, who has become my shadow throughout the BH story.

I agree about Tanno, but i really, really wish that we had the option to put a bolt in his head and get Fuse instead. My trooper would not deal with Tanno on any level whatsoever, except that the game forces me to tolerate him. My trooper would have put a blaster bolt through his skull when he caught up to him on Balmora, and I don’t care how good with explosives he his.

Jorgan should be a sniper, like his backstory and all his dialogs reference.

Elara is a cliche character to me. I would have far preferred Jaxo - she would have been awesome.

I love M14X.

I hated Tanno until I got close to the end of his story, then he seems to mellow out and makes sense as the squad's 'shady supplier'. He should have been a Vanguard that uses blaster rifles instead of yet another lame melee tank.

Yuun is a nice concept but something is just off. His story is extremely shallow (I didn't even realize I had finished it until I was credited with him in my legacy window). I think he might have been a better companion had his backstory been a smuggler-gone-military and did gunslinger DPS rather than another_lame_staff melee dps (which makes no sense in a military squad).

^This. The guy is a completely useless tool, and I would as soon execute him as talk to him. He's another one I would gladly take a DS hit on a LS character to put out of everyone's misery. I think he's Garza's revenge on us for those times when we completed the mission without doing it EXACTLY her way. :p

Same goes for Skadge and Rusk, imo. Skadge for being an overgrown and useless creeper, and Rusk because he's in dire need of a Lightsaber Lobotomy. :p

What does she mean by "dibs on the head" anyway? Is she saying she wants to ..eat.. that guy's head? On the other hand, I can't help but laugh when she calls things like beasts and turrets "dirt bags"

I am pretty sure she keeps a collection of heads in jars. I choose not to speculate on what she does with them.

I would have to agree with the warriors who said Broonmark. Nothing against the fluffball, just his story on why he joined the warrior and his position in the crew seems kinda weak. SI-wise, I like all my companions, though I haven't gotten Xalek. Playing a slightly derpy LS male SI gives you a pretty good dynamic with the first four, whether as foils or as accompaniments.

I would have to agree with the warriors who said Broonmark. Nothing against the fluffball, just his story on why he joined the warrior and his position in the crew seems kinda weak. SI-wise, I like all my companions, though I haven't gotten Xalek. Playing a slightly derpy LS male SI gives you a pretty good dynamic with the first four, whether as foils or as accompaniments.

LS meshes well with Khem Val?

my vote so far has to be Scourge. As a LS defense spec jedi guardian he more or less just takes up space on the ship. Or if I am running a low lever person through essels hes there to dazzle the newbies (which was originally unintentional, I just figured he wanted to stretch his legs)

:D.

Broonmark.

There is literally 0 logical reason he joins the crew (I LIKE TO KILL, I KILL OTHER YETI AND NOW I COME WITH YOU) and afterwards there is 0 story to him (cutscene #1 - I LIKE TO KILL, #2 - I LIKE TO KILL, #3 I LIKE TO KILL AND I WILL TEACH YOUR KIDS HOW TO KILL) or any relevant input from him. He could as well be removed and I wouldn't notice until I was feeling like Bioanalysis missions in which he excels at (which is also the only thing he's good at).

On top of that he's a tank. You won't run around with a tank as a juggernaut and as a marauder, actual player tanks have a hard time managing their threat so the only time Broonmark would hold aggro would be when his taunt goes off cooldown.

And as a final insult, he doesn't have any armored customization like Khem Val so no matter what you put on hi, he still looks as ridiculous as every other Talz in game.