No Sith in ep 4,5,6

CthulhuRyleh

I don't mean there was no sith at all in ep 4,5,6 I just mean that not once did anyone ever throw around the term Sith. Everyone was comfortable with saying Jedi this and Jedi that but not a single mention of the Sith!

Considering that at the start of ep4 it was widely believed that all the Jedi were gone but having Vader and the Emperor around still they were Sith, but probably referred to as "Dark Jedi".

Was the term Sith only coined with the production of Ep 1?

Well, vader was referred to as the dark lord of the sith once or twice. in fact, Zahn originally wanted to name the aliens in the thrawn trilogy sith because of that, but lucas vetoed. of course, this was back when there was no plot except that of episodes 4 5 and 6

Lucas may have had the concept of Sith in mind (juts as he already had much of the story, before and after Episode IV, planned) and simply didn't mention it in the early movies to avoid giving too much to the spectators (and to Luke) to understand (The word "Sith" was unknown to many, not to mention to the farmers of Tatooine. Luke didn't really need to be explained by Obi-Wan or Yoda what a Sith was. There were more important matters at hand.) Edited by Lurtzello

Does anyone have a good reference material for what was and wasn't in Lucas' original plans? I'm always curious about what he planned from the beginning and what he just made up in the 90s. Is there a list of info from his original notes?

It was in script but did not appear in any of the films, like some many other things. Surprisingly, Lucas made up names for almost everything. The name just didn't appear in the film if there was no convenient way for someone to mention it.

Story-wise, only a handful of people in the galaxy ever knew what a sith was. It's not like Palpy and Vader ran around shouting to everyone about being sith. Only a couple of people ever knew about Palpy's real power. For example, the one imperial officer tells Vader (regarding the Force) that he's all that's left of "that ancient religion."

People only knew that jedi used the force. Sith were unknown to everyone except the jedi (Vader killed the few others that knew in EP3).

It makes sense for the most part because the Sith only consisted of master and apprentice for hundreds or thousands of years. For this reason only the Jedi knew who they were. Besides who really knew what went down? Seperatists were all dead. Almost all the Jedi dead. The Senate didn't know who Palps really was. Amidala dead. The only person left who knew what really happened was Leia's step-father...and Leia and Luke were kept hush-hush. Maybe Jango also, but for the most part those who really knew what happened were dead.

Well, remember that in IV through VI, Lucas wanted to keep the focus on the concept of Jedi. That was Vader's story - that he had been a Jedi who was tempted and fell. The notion of a whole other order of Force adepts was superfluous to the story being told. The very first mention of the Force in Ep. IV is "Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force". This is immediately after Ben describes Vader as "a young Jedi knight, who was a pupil of mine before he turned to evil". It was only when the saga was extended to tell the story briefly described in that conversation that introducing the Sith became really germane to the story.

I meant Bobba not Jango.

You had it right, Jango got decapitated by Windu. Bobba (Jango's unaltered clone) was eaten by the Sarlaac - but apparently in the books (So I've been told) he managed to crawl out of the Sarlaac and survived.

You had it right, Jango got decapitated by Windu. Bobba (Jango's unaltered clone) was eaten by the Sarlaac - but apparently in the books (So I've been told) he managed to crawl out of the Sarlaac and survived.

He then proceeded to become Mandalore