Developer Update: Imperial Agent and Smuggler Class Changes

CourtneyWoods

First of all I have always loved Trickshot and was excited to see I will be able to use it more often. I will miss Cheap Shot but mostly for the animation. The new roll seems almost useless but I am sure I will learn to make use of it. My biggest question is about the new gear system. I have always tried to maintain accuracy probably more than usual. It always seemed like the best minor stat to stack for someone who wished to do as much damage as possible. I was surprised to see a post by a developer saying that accuracy will matter in 2.0 considering none of the basic gear actually has accuracy in it. I did not look closely at the Elite or Ultimate Gear however a glance showed none there either. So why if it so important is it not in the end game gear? Every piece of basic gear removes accuracy. I am sure this is intentional I would just like to understand in order to make my gunslinger more effective. If not accuracy does anyone suggest another stat such as surge or crit chance?

Dear god they whine! The very first thing that occurs in WZ is everyone rushing my damn sniper! There is 2\3 healers in front of me and everyone ignores em and comes after my sniper.

It's called going after the most important targets first. Should be a red flag, honestly.

As I understand it, snipers who have been knocked out of cover by Diversion can simply use their roll to regain cover even if the debuff isn't over. Personally I think this is lame (although it's also lame that you can knock a sniper out of cover with Diversion when he has Entrench running).

Another minor issue with the Dirty Fighting tree: the Shrap Bomb DoT has a 21s duration but the DF rotation is clearly designed to be 18s (i.e. the duration of the Vital Shot DoT plus the cooldown of two Wounding Shots). Therefore, one always has refresh Shrap Bomb while the DoT still has 3s remaining. This seems poorly designed.

Snipers and gunslingers do not have the hp and DR to take on CQC types except at range. They can dominate pretty much anything at range but up close easy prey.. The new change make stealth type even more fun if you ask for my opinion and with GS and snipers new anti stealth capacity things are going to be interest in Warzones. Last night there were 4 IA (3 of which were snipers) in warzone playing which is kinda rare. Used to be lucky to get even 1 IA and they were almost always an operative. I think these changes will be good for the game in so far as PVP is concerned.

Indeed, am rolling a merc at the moment, and every wz I mark snipers and informthe group to burn them up first, then healers- why u may ask? because a sniper under pressure isn't dpsing hes' running. I have a gunslinger at 50 have had once as my second character while I was waiting transfer from harbinger to apac way back last year, love the class- however back then u didn't see many of us cos they wernt the easiest to play.

Now any tom,dick or harry can roll up and faceroll, esp with these new abilities, that I can understand why they would be implemented; but I question why the added So many new escapes.

They need to implement limited stealth for snipers and gunslingers say like5 seconds with a 1 or 2 minute cool down

make it easier to set up nests in warzone.

It's called going after the most important targets first. Should be a red flag, honestly.

As I understand it, snipers who have been knocked out of cover by Diversion can simply use their roll to regain cover even if the debuff isn't over. Personally I think this is lame (although it's also lame that you can knock a sniper out of cover with Diversion when he has Entrench running).

They need to implement limited stealth for snipers and gunslingers say like5 seconds with a 1 or 2 minute cool down

make it easier to set up nests in warzone.

I think snipers have enough tools at their disposal.

Overall, I like the changes for the smuggler class. Scamper is very fun and allows me to quickly get into position for Back Blast or Shoot First. I am glad Pugnacity is off the maintenance mode and is trying to be an interesting cooldown (I am not sold that its benefit and short duration make it worth much, but I like the idea). The change to Kolto Pack makes it much more desirable to use and I like the new skills that have been added in all the trees.

The loss of Cheap Shot (and Head Shot) still baffles me and my guild has taken to frequently calling out when we would have used those abilities (this holds true for all classes who lost these types of powers). Cheap Shot is the most egregious to me as I have lots of mez and KB available on my Sawbones, removing a normal and taking a big chunk from a strong was very helpful, and I loved the big crunchy look and sound.

I am also very disappointed in the new "use" of Surprise Comeback (and slightly disappointed that it ended up moving up the tree so far). With Pugnacity on a long cooldown and short duration, this talent is far less appealing (even with the increase in percentage healed per tick). On my scrapper, I preferred the nearly always on availability of this power as a way to keep me moving from spawn to spawn. As a less frequent, minor heal I do not feel it has much value.

Honestly from playing my DPS Lethality Operative it feels like the energy regeneration rate is much improved. I've always felt that AOE burst damage was good on an operative but with the free tactical it feels even more so. For single targets... free culls and tactical advantages on boss fights definitely make this class very viable. I can't wait to show some people that Operatives aren't a forgotten dps class anymore. The haters will hate but Mox tells the truth.

I'm very glad about the energy changes to Concealment Operatives as well as how much fun Saboteur/Engineering is now to play. Characters that are heavily reliant on positioning are my favorite (including Vengeance Juggernaut).

Increase the dps to the concealment operative so they are viable on raids.

The guild I am in does not want me to run raids as a stealth operative; they say I don't and won't put out the needed dps for raids. I don't want to play Sniper. I also don't want the Lethality tree. I got stuck on a pvp server when I moved with my guild.

This is their quote :

"Not to cut on Ops but since they are considered a melee class and are not doing as well as others, such as Maras, PowerTechs, Jugs, or Assassins, an Op DPS that does well will still have a harder time making a raid especially an 8man because a leader will typically want 2-3 range and 1-2 melee. The melee that will be chosen will usually be Mara first for Blood Thirst Utility and then Assassins and PTs for off tanking abilities and then finally a Op."

"I just want to see you get more time in the raids. In 2.0 the sniper will be the best DPS class as far as we can tell"

"This message is to not sway your decision or force you to change your main, but to offer some insight that this change could be more beneficial for you since we are heavy on melee DPS and Ops will likely not beat out most of the other classes."

The DPS on Concealment is very good now and competitive with other melee classes (possibly notwithstanding Annihilation Marauders in ideal conditions). As for your guild, most people simply don't understand how much utility DPS operatives bring to the team. This is partially because so few people played them before 2.0 as they were much more difficult to be proficient with for high-level raids.

1) They are the only class who can res multiple people at the same time because their stealth resurrection has no limit and they can still combat res on top of that. They can go into stealth every 90 seconds as well.

2) They have off-heals and cleanse both themselves and other players if needed.

3) Their AoE with Orbital Strike, Frag Grenades, and Carbine Burst if needed is quite good.

4) As stated before, their sustained damage is competitive with other melee DPS and their burst is among the highest of all melee specs.

On Medicine Operative:

The problem, of course, is that Recuperative Nanotech and Kolto Probe are both instants, and Kolto Infusion is still a lackluster channeled cast heal. There is already something that fills that niche (Kolto Injection). There is pretty much no reason to use Kolto Infusion unless you want the recovery ticks on the end ... but you could accomplish the same thing by using Injection, RN, and/or KP in less time and with far more immediate and effective results under pressure. I get more use out of Diagnostic Scan than Kolto Infusion -- mostly because I can use it as an energy restorer and a heal at the same time.

Infusion really needs to provide a benefit that one of the agent's other heals does not -- elemental resistance, say? A minor reduction in incoming damage? Or even a small boost to the effect of the agent's other HoTs on that player? The last would make it more essential than optional, but the first two would introduce Infusion into the realm of occasional usability.

The only times I've had a need for Kolto Infusion have been when I'm using it back-to-back with Injection, cooldown-to-cooldown without regard for resource management, to burst heal a single target through massive damage. There are at most two or three fights like this.

Spotter is awesome. The new Ballistic Shield shield is awesome. And Covered Escape is also awesome.

I think the improvement to Sniper Volley was much needed. For a capstone skill, it was just mediocre before. Now it is very useful.

As far as Engineering goes, which is my preferred Sniper Spec, I love every and all changes. I mean, I don't even know where to begin, everything is awesome and much more seamless. Covered Escape with Scatter Bombs is a really nice touch. It's like the spec got an overhaul but it still feels familiar. Great job in that regard.

Have just toyed with Lethality since 1.2, but the two changes I really like there are Toxic Regulators and Lethal Takedown. Toxic Regulators was almost necessary for the spec, and being able to use Takedown more often is huge.

I've always considered Sniper to be a well balanced class. The new changes are no different, almost everything very welcome and useful.

• 2 months later...