Fun science: How to make a lightsaber

Jarco

while yes that is possible however you need the magnetic field to be strong enough to deflect blaster bolts or defelct other light sabers. That's where it ends up having to be extremely powerful and can suck in coins.

If you just want it to keep the plasma in place then ok but if you want to actually do anything then it becomes unrealistic.

It may be possible to create a cutting plasma blade, what for all intents and purposes is a lightsaber, but cannot deflect blaster bolts, which themselves have yet to be invented. This is still a very useful sword, capable of cutting through anything, yes? If all plasma blades are of the same charge they will still repel each other, while cutting directly through any other kind of sword with ease. In effect you have a light saber that doesnt deflect bullets. This seems an actual possibility, one that could be realized at some point in the future. Its still a lightsaber in all other respects. Or am i missing something?

What really sucks is that, assuming every one of these obstacles is overcome and someone creates a plasma blade that looks like a lightsaber and cuts like a lightsaber, it will never be possible to sword duel with them, the blades would just pass through each other.

It may be possible to create a cutting plasma blade, what for all intents and purposes is a lightsaber, but cannot deflect blaster bolts, which themselves have yet to be invented. This is still a very useful sword, capable of cutting through anything, yes? If all plasma blades are of the same charge they will still repel each other, while cutting directly through any other kind of sword with ease. In effect you have a light saber that doesnt deflect bullets. This seems an actual possibility, one that could be realized at some point in the future. Its still a lightsaber in all other respects. Or am i missing something?

I disagree about it being just a cutting blade. The light saber is more then that as it seems to have a solid part to it with it being able to also perry and deflect other light sabers.

If you just make it a plasma blade then two blades would go right through each other. That is a pretty major part of it.

nobody read this part of my post? "If all plasma blades are of the same charge they will still repel each other,"

anyhow I'm no physicist but a very high concentration of superheated plasma would act somewhat like a solid, in that coming in contact with another blade of plasma would provide resistance enough to block the attack, even apart from magnetic repulsion. The same resistance upon contact with matter would also occur, except that the plasma cut a path thru the matter quicker than any tactile feedback could possibly make you aware of resistance. The way a hot knife slides through butter with no pressure applied.

If this were not so, we would not be able to channel plasma thru metal conduits such as with the plasma propulsion engines they designed for long range space travel. Plasma does not simply phase through metal, unless hot enough to melt its way through, and likewise, high density plasma would not phase through a separate beam of high density plasma.

IE the ONLY difference is that it wont be reflecting blaster bolts

nobody read this part of my post? "If all plasma blades are of the same charge they will still repel each other,"

anyhow I'm no physicist but a very high concentration of superheated plasma would act somewhat like a solid, in that coming in contact with another blade of plasma would provide resistance enough to block the attack, even apart from magnetic repulsion. The same resistance upon contact with matter would also occur, except that the plasma cut a path thru the matter quicker than any tactile feedback could possibly make you aware of resistance. The way a hot knife slides through butter with no pressure applied.

If this were not so, we would not be able to channel plasma thru metal conduits such as with the plasma propulsion engines they designed for long range space travel. Plasma does not simply phase through metal, unless hot enough to melt its way through, and likewise, high density plasma would not phase through a separate beam of high density plasma.

IE the ONLY difference is that it wont be reflecting blaster bolts

Doesn't matter if they are just the same charge the magnetic field would have to be incredibly strong.

Think about two magnets. If they are the same charge they repel correct? However think about how strong they have to be for you not to be able to force them together.

So for the lightsaber to repel another light saber it would have to have an extremely strong magnetic field to repel the other blade. So strong that you using all your force could not overcome the repulsion of it. Of course the stronger the magnetic field the farther out it goes.

So you would have light saber battles where the blades slow down as they get close to each other and never actually hit. Or the field isn't strong enough and you are able to overcome it and again the blades pass right through each other.

And if the blades are of opposite charges then they would be attracted to each other. Which would lead to some really funny lightsaber duels but again... still not a real light saber.

Trying to apply real world science to make something that came from someones imagination is not going to work. Keep in mind Lucas originally called them Laser Swords.

Oh and the Plasma would not act like a solid it would act like a gas which is what it is.

The key to building a Lightsaber is not found in a crystal, nor is it known by Kaku or any mere mortal man. It is known by the diety known only as Battlebug, and I quote... "can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out."

LMAO! I remember that! Oh my god i laughed my *** off.

I read in a science magazine that it is possible to make a blade out of light similar to a lightsaber. The problem is, in order to generate the blade, it would require a power pack the size of a room and the blade would generate so much heat that any person in the area, let alone someone trying to hold it, would be incinerated.

I read in a science magazine that it is possible to make a blade out of light similar to a lightsaber. The problem is, in order to generate the blade, it would require a power pack the size of a room and the blade would generate so much heat that any person in the area, let alone someone trying to hold it, would be incinerated.

of course it's possible to create a blade that can instnaly cut through everything however to make something that has all the features of a light saber is impossible.

By the way, to see the whole thing, link is here:

He explains how to get the laser to stop and how to get the energy for it, etc.

yeah he has no idea what he is talking about. Sure its a blade that can cut through things however it is not a light saber.

the entire idea of using a magnetic field is just a huge flaw.

Edited by jarjarloves

• 3 weeks later...
meta materials, such as glass receptors have the ability to decelerate and compact/expand light around an object or in a space under 1 meter^2. this process creates extreme heat and also contains or hides the light in or from the area. if you use a second object with a high melting point and use meta materials in a parabola that focuses on the second object, you can contain and generate heat that would heat the area around the object, creating the effect of a lightsaber as well as the "glow" :D

What if.... We put a mini black hole in the handle.... and it would keep the light from going too far out. But it wouldn't solidify it. One more problem solved for the lightsaber recreation.

The amount of energy needed to power an atom smasher big enough to actually synthesize a small black hole would effectively wipe out electricity to half the planet (Kind of like Balmorra.)

Not to mention, after its created I think they would have trouble transferring it to a lightsaber in gravitational stasis since they're bodies would simply be sucked into it and destroyed.

Not to mention, what would happen when it grew to big to be held in the handle, mass extinction anyone?

Edited by Elyons