Stealth Scan Kind of Sucks

NeoRinTinTin

Stealth scan is handy for the stealth killers in EC, but in PVP it's hit or miss, but 99% of the time is a miss because you can barely ever hit anything. The only time it's really useful is if a sage next to me wants to screw around and use noble sacrifice to pad his stats. It may work as a deterrent, but I'm not too confident about that.

Stealth scan should at least stun the stealther if you manage to hit one.

Edited by NeoRinTinTin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stealth busting mechanics needs a complete rework in SWTOR. Right now it's a complete joke with abilities like sneak giving +10 stealth against stealth detection.

Patch 1.4 lower CD on force cloak and cloaking screen will make it even more ridiculous. Force Shroud and Evasion removing all type of dots makes it even more easy for stealthers to pick the fights stacked in their favor.

Currently there is no such thing as stealth balance in SWTOR. It is completely tailored in favor of stealth classes that have complete freedom in choosing their fights.

Sleeping dart and Mind trap is another ridiculous thing that makes the life of stealthers even easier than it should be.

You'd think, that with all these massive advantages, there should be a class that could reliably pull these freaks out of stealth, but no..

I actually think it works quite well as is... actually has a larger radius than what is shown in game. Quick reaction time on the move pretty much screws any stealth class from escaping a fight or attacking from stealth.

I'm going to be the first one to say it...

Working as intended.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

I love randomly dropping it as soon as its off CD while guarding a node, its like playing wack a mole.

The one thing i do agree is that it has next to 0 use except to break force cloak but u have to be speedy with the fingers and dropping it. Outside of breaking incombat stealth i don't use it for anything else short of advertising to stealthies:

Hey! you better move in something other than a straight line to come get to me otherwise i might see u!

I do wish i could get the tank specced stealth scan without having to spec deep into tanking. it but thats not for me to decide.

I actually think it works quite well as is... i detects stealth and actually has a larger radius than what is shown in game. Quick reaction time on the move pretty much screws any stealth class from escaping a fight or attacking from stealth.

I'm going to be the first one to say it...

Working as intended.

It's not hard as a stealther to predict where the stealth scan will go. Moving unpredictable is quite easy. If you simply follow the principle of not going in the same direction you used to when you were visible, it's already a more than 75% chance that you will not be busted.

Edited by NoTomorrow

Yeah, stealth scan is fantastic in PvP. One good tool in our (rapidly diminishing) toolbox for dealing with DPS Ops, Sins and even Marauders.

Nothing quite like anticipating when a stealther is going to vanish, and popping them right back out again. It takes practice and quick reflexes (bind it to an easily accessible key) but once you have it down, it is great.

Edit: Yeah, you're not going to catch anyone sneaking up on you with it. Its primary use in PvP is for exposing someone who has JUST stealthed.

Edited by Jherad

It's not hard as a stealther to predict where the stealth scan will go. Moving unpredictable is quite easy. If you simply follow the principle of not going in the same direction you used to when you were visible, it's already a more than 75% chance that you will not be busted.

It has such a large AOE that I'm going to have to assume that either your reaction time isn't quick enough, and possibly because it's not key bound.

I'm in a pretty sarcastic mood today but I'm being very serious here... if I SEE a stealther, stealth out. I'd say my success rate in catching him with the scan is probably close to 80%, and that's on the humble end.

It's also nice to have while guarding a node... that success rate is much lower since the enemy can see it but it serves it's purpose.

Personally I think it works quite well.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

Stealth scan is handy for the stealth killers in EC, but in PVP it's hit or miss, but 99% of the time is a miss because you can barely ever hit anything. The only time it's really useful is if a sage next to me wants to screw around and use noble sacrifice to pad his stats. It may work as a deterrent, but I'm not too confident about that.

A bit of advice, I would personally suggest saving stealth scan for when classes use their skills trying to escape instead of trying to initially detect them; it makes a world of difference.

What?

Stealth detection works just fine.

Keybind that crap. I'll be fighting a stealther, they'll pop combat stealth ability, and as soon as they do I have my stealth aoe probes catching them almost everytime. You have to use intuition but the faster you get it out the easier it is to snag em.

Nerf Sleep darts and Mind control mezz?

We'll have to see how it all plays out with the resolve re-vamp but otherwise...

Sounds like qq.

Drop it on a Sentinel/Shadow/Scoundrel when you think they are about to Vanish.

Stealth scan is one of the best abilities in the game. If you've played as a stealther, with enough experience you can often guess which paths they will use to get the jump on you. If they don't have their opening move like Shoot First because you pulled them out of stealth then you are at a huge advantage.

Hotkey it and embrace your god-mode vs. Stealth classes.

It has such a large AOE that I'm going to have to assume that either your reaction time isn't quick enough, and possibly because it's not key bound.

I'm in a pretty sarcastic mood today but I'm being very serious here... if I SEE a stealther, stealth out. I'd say my success rate in catching him with the scan is probably close to 80%, and that's on the humble end.

It's also nice to have while guarding a node... that success rate is much lower since the enemy can see it but it serves it's purpose.

Personally I think it works quite well.

stun, cloak, here you go, i am out before you can even use the stealth scan.

A bit of advice, I would personally suggest saving stealth scan for when classes use their skills trying to escape instead of trying to initially detect them; it makes a world of difference.

meh the cooldown is only like 20s or whatever. I say spam that crap.

stun, cloak, here you go, i am out before you can even use the stealth scan.

You know why these arguments make no sense? This can go on for days like a game of chess and none of it is relevant to how it actually plays out in a war zone.

CC break, stealth scan. Found you.

Your move. :rolleyes:

Patch 1.4 lower CD on force cloak and cloaking screen will make it even more ridiculous. Force Shroud and Evasion removing all type of dots makes it even more easy for stealthers to pick the fights stacked in their favor.

Currently there is no such thing as stealth balance in SWTOR. It is completely tailored in favor of stealth classes that have complete freedom in choosing their fights.

Pssst...allow me to let you in on a little secret: That's what the entire stealth classes are balanced around. Just thought you should know, since everyone else already does.

:rolleyes:

Stealth scan should have a 50m radius and the area should be effected for at least 20 seconds...

...honestly it is working as intended these classes apart from the tanking spec rely on stealth.

Stealth scan should at least stun the stealther if you manage to hit one.

9/10 times i will uncloak a cloaker trying to run away from me if i suspect said cloaker of using a speed buff in cloak i try to guess which way said cloaker will go.

tip : hothey it, clicking will not cut it.

Stealth scan is an awesome ability and is perfectly fine.

Stealth Scan is an intuitive ability. You either know when and how to use it, or you don't. I have both an Operative and a Bounty Hunter, so I see both uses of this tool.

As a BH:

There are a lot of stupid stealthers out there. Stealth makes one difficult to detect, not impossible to detect. There is a difference. I would say that there is a 10m circle surrounding your character where it is possible to see someone in stealth, especially if they are moving. A lot of times you can pop them out of stealth with a quick tab target and auto attack. If they disappear, using Stealth Scan in the direction they were moving will always detect them. Always.

As an Operative:

A lot of players just use Stealth Scan incorrectly. Our favorite targets are solo node guards, as many will spam Stealth Scan around the door bomb area in Voidstar or directly on the turret in Civil War. Dumb move. A smart stealther will either wait it out or hit you with a Sleep Dart, then a Flash Bang and cap while you stand there helpless to do anything about it.

Point being, Stealth Scan should be used proactively when a stealther is known to be in the area. If you're just using it randomly as a detection tool, you're going to get owned. Stealth classes are designed to pick their own fights and have the upper hand going into it.

Edited by TheronFett

The stealth busting mechanics needs a complete rework in SWTOR. Right now it's a complete joke with abilities like sneak giving +10 stealth against stealth detection.

Sleeping dart and Mind trap is another ridiculous thing that makes the life of stealthers even easier than it should be.

You'd think, that with all these massive advantages, there should be a class that could reliably pull these freaks out of stealth, but no..

Once out of stealth my survival is very low. Maybe you forgot this little nugget of data.

Stealth Scan is an intuitive ability. You either know when and how to use it, or you don't. I have both an Operative and a Bounty Hunter, so I see both uses of this tool.

As a BH:

There are a lot of stupid stealthers out there. Stealth makes one difficult to detect, not impossible to detect. There is a difference. I would say that there is a 10m circle surrounding your character where it is possible to see someone in stealth, especially if they are moving. A lot of times you can pop them out of stealth with a quick tab target and auto attack. If they disappear, using Stealth Scan in the direction they were moving will always detect them. Always.

As an Operative:

A lot of players just use Stealth Scan incorrectly. Our favorite targets are solo node guards, as many will spam Stealth Scan around the door bomb area in Voidstar or directly on the turret in Civil War. Dumb move. A smart stealther will either wait it out or hit you with a Sleep Dart, then a Flash Bang and cap while you stand there helpless to do anything about it.

Point being, Stealth Scan should be used proactively when a stealther is known to be in the area. If you're just using it randomly as a detection tool, you're going to get owned. Stealth classes are designed to pick their own fights and have the upper hand going into it.

Pretty much the only choice a stealth class has to do is pick fights you can win.

It is not like a stealth class can leap into a pile and kill 2 of them.

Edited by Metalmac

Stealth scan is one of the best abilities in the game. If you've played as a stealther, with enough experience you can often guess which paths they will use to get the jump on you. If they don't have their opening move like Shoot First because you pulled them out of stealth then you are at a huge advantage.

You hit it right on the head with this one. I have both a scrapper scoundrel and assault vanguard. When I'm left alone defending a node, or wall, I often think to myself "If I were a stealther (which I am), where would I stand and wait?" and I drop the stealth scan on spots where I typically watch and POOF, you find your rat and they panick like crazy (unless of course they are highly geared/skilled).

To original author: Try playing a stealth class for a little while and you will see what we mean

Another thing that I do is I put 2 points into the stealth skill in Assault Spec. I know this is not recommended for PVP, but let me tell you, I've busted so many assassins and operatives trying to get the drop on me, and thats without using the stealth scan! Please note, this is all done out of combat.

I record a lot of my WZs, eventually I'll have a nice compilation of stealth scans. This ability is very useful but only if you have it bound to a hotkey and you are quick on the draw.

Its also a huge help when a Mara is coming straight for you, and uses force camo at about 35m away in an attempt to close the gap without wasting force leap. You stealth scan them and force them to leap. At which point you KB etc

And the other awesome use, when you force a stealther to retreat and you nail them with a scan and proceed to melt them as they stand 25m away in the middle of the open, almost dead already.

Sneak doesnt help you against the stealth scan.