Best republic class story ?

Elidhan

For me, I preferred Jedi Knight's story over any others on the Republic side. A close second goes to Smuggler.

I was utterly and completely bored by Jedi consular, and Trooper. Trooper even made me a bit mad when I was playing, because I was playing with my hubby, and saw the differences between the male and female storyline, and female trooper, is horrible and dull. It probably doesn't help that I can't stand the romance companion, for anything besides a throw rug. Then again, I couldn't stand Dorn either. I wanted to throw her off the ship, and spent most of my time being mean to her lol. Trooper doesn't have a lot of appealing companions, as far as I'm concerned, but that's just me. I think the robot that sounds like Roger Ramjet was probably the best one.

Interesting. I didn't think about what the differences may be between a male and a female story. And I too think the companions were a bit dull although I did like Dorn when she started opening up a little.

And the Trooper story did make me mad but not for the reasons you describe. The trooper faces some untenable situations inside and outside of the Senate Chamber. It did make me mad when, well, politics got in the way. It made me mad when it became obvious that for many, troopers are just pawns in the game. But... eliciting that kind of reaction is also what made it a good story. I truly felt their plight.

Edited by Rafaman

Without going spoiler heavy I would rate them in order of preference:

1st) Smuggler, you get a wookiee companion, some of the best dialogue and I was always a fan of Han Solo and the Millenium Falcon. (Imperial Agent)

2nd) Consular, first chapter is slow but has possibly the strongest end chapter of the four. (Inquisitor)

3rd) Trooper, best prologue of the four rep stories but fails to build on it and the theme gets very repetitive. (Bounty Hunter)

4th) Jedi Knight, you are the chosen one, possibly the most cliché filled storyline of the eight with pretty obvious ending. (Warrior)

To be honest the basic feel of the story line has a close correlation with their Imperial mirror. So if there is an Imperial class you enjoyed the story of there's a good chance the mirror will be for you with maybe the exception of the Jedi Knight. Loved the Sith warrior story, JK left me cold.

Spot on, I was actually disappointed with the Jedi Knight story because it was so cliché and in comparison to all seven other stories, very over the top (almost ridiculous).

Interesting. I didn't think about what the differences may be between a male and a female story. And I too think the companions were a bit dull although I did like Dorn when she started opening up a little.

Meh. I played a female trooper and I absolutely loved it. At least to me, the romance with Jorgan is the most interesting, nuanced and amusing one in the game and I think it's a shame that most people don't even give it a chance. And on the flipside, if you decide to troll him instead and take some of the amusing dialogue cheap shots, he has the most entertaining reactions (Try throwing him in front of the bus with Garza. Hilarious.) Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

And the Trooper story did make me mad but not for the reasons you describe. The trooper faces some untenable situations inside and outside of the Senate Chamber. It did make me mad when, well, politics got in the way. It made me mad when it became obvious that for many troopers are just pawns in the game. But... eliciting that kind of reaction is also what made it a good story. I truly felt their plight.

Yeah, that was my favorite part about the story line actually, and why I personaly found the prologue and first act so strong. It's kind of a shame that after Act one, the story gets so generic, because when they focus on what it is to be a grunt on the ground in the midst of politicing and god like force users, it's really good. Almost like the republic mirror of the Agent story, or at least it could have been if they pushed those themes more. I feel like Biowae missed an opporunity for something genuinely interesting there.

And as far as which story is the best? I dunno, I think they all have their weak and strong points other than the JC story which I thought to be a tedious bore even with a darkside five toon. But even that's highly subjective, because I know quite a few people who really enjoyed it. Which is kind of neat, actually, that Bioware was able to develop something for just about everyone.

Edited by Prisoner

Jedi Knight...epicness plus some very nice companions. I understand the cliche argument made here but honestly, I want to be the hero that saves the galaxy. Plus the end of chapter 3 is the best of all the classes because of where you go.

I very much enjoyed the last chapter of the consular though the ending was a bit meager. Honestly though, compared to the JK ending, most endings are meager.

Smuggler rates lowest for me, never felt the epicness I like so much.

DS Trooper was a bit meh for me. Seriously the things I did should have gotten me kicked out of the army and all you get is a slap on the wrist...BUT one of the funniest lines came from my DS Trooper: "Ill remember that next time Im a wompa", hehe played that five times over.

Edited by Gokkus

Jedi Knight...epicness plus some very nice companions. I understand the cliche argument made here but honestly, I want to be the hero that saves the galaxy. Plus the end of chapter 3 is the best of all the classes because of where you go.

I very much enjoyed the last chapter of the consular though the ending was a bit meager. Honestly though, compared to the JK ending, most endings are meager.

Smuggler rates lowest for me, never felt the epicness I like so much.

DS Trooper was a bit meh for me. Seriously the things I did should have gotten me kicked out of the army and all you get is a slap on the wrist...BUT one of the funniest lines came from my DS Trooper: "Ill remember that next time Im a wompa", hehe played that five times over.

which out-of-context makes no sense. Don't get me wrong I'm sure in-context is may be funny/whatever...but just as you type it here...means nothing.

FINALLY SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME! I highly think that Consular and Inquisitor are the best stories (or the second best) in the game. Thank you, you just made my day!

Ugh. Those two and the BH are seriously a major step down in quality from the rest.

1st) Smuggler, you get a wookiee companion, some of the best dialogue and I was always a fan of Han Solo and the Millenium Falcon. (Imperial Agent)

2nd) Consular, first chapter is slow but has possibly the strongest end chapter of the four. (Inquisitor)

3rd) Trooper, best prologue of the four rep stories but fails to build on it and the theme gets very repetitive. (Bounty Hunter)

4th) Jedi Knight, you are the chosen one, possibly the most cliché filled storyline of the eight with pretty obvious ending. (Warrior)

To be honest the basic feel of the story line has a close correlation with their Imperial mirror. So if there is an Imperial class you enjoyed the story of there's a good chance the mirror will be for you with maybe the exception of the Jedi Knight. Loved the Sith warrior story, JK left me cold.

I've not finished the Jedi Knight story, but I can't argue about the order of the others, The smuggler has some great little twists for you to find in conversation options, and the consular story had a strong finish. But I never took a shine to the trooper story, it felt the same all the way through, which was a shame, especially since the class itself is good.

And the Trooper story did make me mad but not for the reasons you describe. The trooper faces some untenable situations inside and outside of the Senate Chamber. It did make me mad when, well, politics got in the way. It made me mad when it became obvious that for many, troopers are just pawns in the game. But... eliciting that kind of reaction is also what made it a good story. I truly felt their plight.

That's one of the things too, I never felt like so much of a grunt as when I was the trooper. I suppose that could be taken as feeling 'realistic', but to use the word of another poster, it lacked 'epicness'. There were parts that weren't a complete loss. I enjoyed meeting and dealing with the SIS Agent Jonas Balker. I keep hoping that maybe they'll add him as an alternative romance companion for the trooper. Then it might be a tad more interesting, but to me trooper is like a soup with no spices, just veggies and a little chunk of meat for the lady trooper (guess its close to lunch...food analogy lol). Males had an interesting side story, that made you think a bit.

Smuggler. It wasn't filled with your usual overblown, fantastical heroics like the JK storyline. Being an ordinary, run of the mill thug with patriotic fervor, and some great hilarity on the side.

That was another nice thing about the Smuggler story, the feeling that you are "free" and more of a normal person. You aren't part of a big organization, you weren't some grunt doing his/her job.

This reminds me of a downside of playing Smuggler though (at least for me) -- it could sometimes seem rather absurd outside of your class quests. Why, oh why, is that Jedi/soldier/important person asking my sassy Smuggler and her farm-boy boyfriend to go blow up a heavily fortified Imperial base? What does she look like, a Jedi? Or an elite military unit, like Havoc Squad? :p

After reading all your thoughts about how the different stories felt for you guys, I decided to roll both a JK and a JC to level 10 as I wasn't able to decide which one I wanted. I felt like these two were closest to what I wanted to play as a light side republic character.

I didn't hate Consular as much as I expected to given how negative the feedback was... although I'll admit some characters and dialogues aren't doing much to drag me in. There's also this thing about not being able to NOT hear Nathan Drake every time the character speaks.

The knight on the other hand seems just like what everybody describe. Typical heroic stuff, very good but not particularly original. I'll still probably go with that however, it's good for what it is.

Thanks again to every one who replied, it was a big help to me. I hope some day I can get enough free time to try them all !

After reading all your thoughts about how the different stories felt for you guys, I decided to roll both a JK and a JC to level 10 as I wasn't able to decide which one I wanted. I felt like these two were closest to what I wanted to play as a light side republic character.

I didn't hate Consular as much as I expected to given how negative the feedback was... although I'll admit some characters and dialogues aren't doing much to drag me in. There's also this thing about not being able to NOT hear Nathan Drake every time the character speaks.

The knight on the other hand seems just like what everybody describe. Typical heroic stuff, very good but not particularly original. I'll still probably go with that however, it's good for what it is.

Thanks again to every one who replied, it was a big help to me. I hope some day I can get enough free time to try them all !

Join us on the dark side of the Jedi fo we have cookies!

which out-of-context makes no sense. Don't get me wrong I'm sure in-context is may be funny/whatever...but just as you type it here...means nothing.

Well the thread is not about funniest line or anything. Im just stating an upside to being a DS trooper...one of the few. The convo is on Hoth in the third base when talking to a guy about the hailstorm brotherhood leader if you are interested.

(No you dont have to be DS to choose that option but if you truly play LS it is unlikely that you will)

I know it can be very subjective, but I'm a rather casual player and I have played pretty much only Imperial classes so far.

Now I'm looking for a change but I will only have time to seriously play one class, my schedule is too busy to try and see which one I prefer, so I thought about asking you guys what you thought of the various republic class stories. Which one(s) you thought were the best and why ?

Thanks a lot !

I have played them all dark and light, 16 stories in total.

I would say that

Light Trooper and dark counsular are the best of the republic side.

Jedi could be better, it has it flaws

Smuggler was not that impressive

Edited by Icestar

This, finally some person who thinks that Consular story is great.

I would maybe place it on the same level as the Smuggler, just because of the laughs you can get in Chapter 1 in collecting the Noetikons and hearing several of the Masters of old argue and throw insults back and forth between them (fun factor greatly increased if you are a KOTOR and Old Republic era fan). Just to illustrate that Chapter 1 is not that boring as people make it sound. Not to mention how purely bada*s the Consular is when using telekinesis in cutscenes.

Smuggler is simply a Han Solo-esque story. From arrogant bastard to pretty much nice person who still looks after himself, his friends and his wallet first. Not to mention, they ALWAYS SHOOT FIRST.

Trooper got really repetitive in Chapter 1, maybe even more so that Consular. Still, it was a good story, just not that awesome as one would probably expect from what character you play...

I also think that JK is the most cliché story ever, the great and mighty chosen one, blah, blah, blah... still, if you really are into this sort of think, it might suit you just fine. I would however recommend you to play it at some point, as it has several key story plots outlined in it. For that same reason, playing Sith Warrior is highly recommended.

To sum it up, OP, you should find time to play ALL the classes. The work BW Writers put in them deserves it.

This is all pretty subjective, but personally, I found Jedi Knight to absolutely be the best by far. I've played through Consular as well, and am currently on Chapter 2 of the Smuggler story.

I won't go into any spoilers, but let's just say Jedi Knight is 100% KOTOR 3. Period.

Jedi Knight is the best one for me with that more classic "Star Wars" feel to it in my opinion. It can be a bit predictable but I found it to be excellent for what you expect with dealing with epic problems that can end the galaxy.

Smuggler is the next best because it can be quite entertaining like the Bounty Hunter storyline. You can be quite the ******** to everyone and most of your crew members tend to be ********es as well.

The trooper storyline is next with a strong act 1 and decent act 2, but act 3 was a bit of a let down in my opinion.

I'm in the process of doing the consular storyline and feel it's a bit like the Jedi Knight storyline story line but it's not nearly as epic. It felt more insular and concerned about the jedi so far to me.

You should probably at least finish Coruscant at the very least to get an idea of where each class storyline is going to go. The companions are also a big factor as well as I found the Jedi Knight had better companions with the exception of Tharan Cedrax with his hologram, Holiday.

That's another thing you should probably ask about as well, who has the best companions to make the storyline more fun.

The smuggler has the best companions in my opinion. The Jedi Knight follows next and then after that is the Trooper. I haven't gotten all of the companions yet for the Consular but the only one I liked so far is Tharan Cedrax

Edited by Philmors

Jedi Knight is the best one for me with that more classic "Star Wars" feel to it in my opinion. It can be a bit predictable but I found it to be excellent for what you expect with dealing with epic problems that can end the galaxy.

Smuggler is the next best because it can be quite entertaining like the Bounty Hunter storyline. You can be quite the ******** to everyone and most of your crew members tend to be ********es as well.

The trooper storyline is next with a strong act 1 and decent act 2, but act 3 was a bit of a let down in my opinion.

I'm in the process of doing the consular storyline and feel it's a bit like the Jedi Knight storyline story line but it's not nearly as epic. It felt more insular and concerned about the jedi so far to me.

You should probably at least finish Coruscant at the very least to get an idea of where each class storyline is going to go. The companions are also a big factor as well as I found the Jedi Knight had better companions with the exception of Tharan Cedrax with his hologram, Holiday.

That's another thing you should probably ask about as well, who has the best companions to make the storyline more fun.

The smuggler has the best companions in my opinion. The Jedi Knight follows next and then after that is the Trooper. I haven't gotten all of the companions yet for the Consular but the only one I liked so far is Tharan Cedrax

Yeah, at leas finish Cor before you lock and load. It really isn't that much and I'm sure after that planet you will definitely know which way to go.

I forgot to add Jedi Knight story was written by Drew Karpyshyn. The same Drew Karpyshyn who wrote KOTOR and the Revan novel. So, yeah, again, it was KOTOR 3.

Drew wrote a whole lot of this game, and many classes, including the Knight, were done by multiple people who expanded on some basic storyline (Hall Hood had a major role in penning the Knight story, for example). Knight story is good, but it just oozes cliché everywhere