The Importance of Player Feedback with the New Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most important things to us is to hear player feedback on their game experience. Our community team truly has an ear to the ground with community concerns and discussions and we often make changes based on player feedback.
So you claim to be listening to player feedback? Why haven't you listened to it so far then? Is this going to change? I hope so, so here is my feedback:

My game experience is truly castrated due to the lack of chat bubbles, and so is that of a lot of people. Just check out this thread with over a hundred pages, over thousand posts in support and almost fifty-thousand views. If you claim that you listen to player feedback, you should finally start to listen to the feedback in that thread seriously and implement chat bubbles in the next patch!

So you claim to be listening to player feedback? Why haven't you listened to it so far then? Is this going to change? I hope so, so here is my feedback:

My game experience is truly castrated due to the lack of chat bubbles, and so is that of a lot of people. Just check out this thread with over a hundred pages, over thousand posts in support and almost fifty-thousand views. If you claim that you listen to player feedback, you should finally start to listen to the feedback in that thread seriously and implement chat bubbles in the next patch!

Ok obviously it is going to change because he is showing they are working more on giving players what they want.

He's not the same as he was in warhammer. It seems he learned a lot from that. He is a very smart guy with great ideas. Good job bioware! I support ya!

Okay,

Player feedback is important?

What about an overwhelming majority of APAC players not getting what they paid for?

You want feedback?

There it is, an absolute disgraceful way of handling hundreds and hundreds of "important player feedback"

Fix this situation, then I might have something positive to say.

I'll be totally honest here, this is my opinion but I feel the cartel lacks items i'd buy apart from the bag slots and medical drones (which I have :) ) so i'd be storing the lot and hoping this game adds more to preferred status and subscriber type accounts.

I have never played a game that takes so long to craft items, I like you can't really ninja veins as creds buy all but spending that much time means I wait until campanion #3 before considering it.

I know this is an MMO but where are the manners? It's polite to not just random invite - the 'warcraft effect' will hurt this game and my enthusiasm to play it.

Will there be a guild level model like in other games?

At the moment, if I stop subbing (which is quite likely) i'll stop playing as the current restrictions will kill the game for me and if I keep subbing, I end up with loads of coins i'll probably not use.

I'm not bothered about the space mission restriction, i'm yet to find one I like anyway.

In the new year I decide whether I keep playing or not, so far i'm not going to but if there are improvements then perhaps.

This maybe hard to do but figure i throw my ideal out there. Be nice to have a Companions that you can completely customize, (race, hair eye colors, crew skill bonus they get) and have this Companion linked to your legacy.

I'm glad to see that they have publicly indicated that F2P feedback is important from all players. I was hoping to hear that they were dedicated to providing some way into the future that free players could continue to provide feedback, and still hold out hope that that will come in the future. Right now they can post as far as I know. I don''t think that should change, or if it does they should at least get access to one forum area.

It also demonstrates what I feel are the great changes made recently to F2P...demonstrating the fact that they are listening and intend to make sure F2P and the Market bring in the maximum amount of revenue and retention. Though not mentioned, a set of armor a week, especially if it is level one armor (IMO all of the armor should have been empty level one armor) is one more fantastic motive for the market that helps.

I had felt strongly that some of these changes should have been made before the system launched, and things like character transfers, name changes (character and legacy) and appearance changes after character creation should have been included before launch, but I will be happy to see things like this added in the short term.

The fact that there are listening to feedback with respect to the F2P system is self evident IMO and is one of the smartest moves they have made since launch, including the system itself. As long as the following things are added or change in the near future....

Character transfers

Name change

Legacy name change

Appearance change

Dual spec

Legacy cargo hold with bank

Plain black, white and grey/red/brown robe

Level one helmets

All standard vendor speeders

I think the market will continue to be successful and subs will grow as a result.

My only problem with it is the cartel garbage. I understand why you did it, but I have been crafting crystals and other stuff for money on there and I've noticed a huge decrease in income. Everyone wants those damn pink purples. Can we at least get schematics for these so I can make some money again? Also f2p bank should be unlimited so they can buy more of my stuff.

Another of the few things i feel people who bought the game diserved, a few extra character slots. I would have settled for 2 extra, but four is even better.

With the third crew skill i bought for all my characters, i have everything i need to play comfortably f2p for a while :)

Well, I am very happy to see they're adding new quick slots. For tons of returning players and F2P, that was their main problem. It's nice to see it's being fixed.

Yes, IMO, that was the only real problem with F2P and they listened to the outcries and corrected the situation.

It seems that the only thing that is being listened to is free to play, which is strange cause I don't think they can post on the forums.

Hows about addressing things that have been on the forums since before free to play came out but seem to have taken a back seat because of re-structing then staff working on free to play and cartel items. A few things that it would be nice ot see.

Open world PvP (which is open to everyone not just people that have ground out war hero gear in warzones).

More End Game Content.

More Species. (not just a human with face paint you are calling Cathar)

More options in Character creation.

Full 3D space (not calling it Super Secret Space Project)

New Armour and Weapon Sets. (we have been on black hole for most the year)

Guild Captial Ships.

Mini Games.

Continuation of Class and Companion Story. (Hate to say it but for most people this is far more important than world story arcs)

Side Ways progression. I know very very hard and a major project but it would be nice to have an end game that wasn't just tougher and tougher bosses with more and more difficult mechanics.

So it would be nice to discuss what is being done for the people that have been here for a year and not just those free to play gamers.

/signed

Yes please actually listen to the things we want. Don't get me wrong, you've made some nice changes, but we need some bigger more impactful ones please and thank you.

Loving SWTOR, but still you said (in january) you were working to implement changes in how Security Keys work (so we can remove it or update to a physical/mobile one) and we still need to call you in order to do that. It's been 10 months since you said that.

The same goes for hundreds of bugs that are still annoying the most of us. Lightsabers that won't shut down, the new issues to preview gear for companions (or customizations), all the things you said you were working on, yet we haven't seen any word on them.

What's happening with the Chat Bubbles guys?

Link to thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=415849#post415849

What about all those things we've been asking for? Like some kind of housing mechanics? Mini-games aside from the actual ones (yeah, Space Missions are just that, a tiny mini-game for an inmense MMO universe). Is it so difccitult to implement things players can enjoy? Swoop races, 1v1 Arenas, Maybe Pazaak all without gambling but with a rewards system. It's not that hard!

I don't know what's on the table when you talked months ago about a "Super secret Space Project for SWTOR" but I hope it's not something like Flashpoints or Operations using our ships. I really hope you're working on free-flight space combat and so.

Now, the most important thing right now is that we want you to fix the current bugs we're experiencing, those issues that are preventing us to enjoy this great game. And then we hope you address some of those things I mentioned, things you claimed to be able to address "SOON" ten months ago. We've been asking for a lot of things since BETA. (Paraphrasing Costello) Open world PvP, more End Game Content, more Species. (not just a human with face paint you are calling Cathar), more options in Character creation, full 3D space (not calling it Super Secret Space Project), guild Captial Ships (to have a damn place where the guild members can go and say "home"), Mini Games...

Hope you BioWare are not just listening to us but moving towards the interest of the players that are playing your game and working on the things we're suggesting. Moving towards our interest is moving towards yours.

We'll keep asking for things this game needs.

Regards,

Erethrian

EDIT: Also, you should take a look at THIS thread [swtor complaints/suggestions gathered since Beta]. All threads I linked are in the Suggestion Box so, please, we want you to listen and TAKE ACTION. If you listen but don't do anything our feedback will be worthless.

Edited by Erethrian

I've been so far pretty happy being a subscriber, I wouldn't say theres anything particularly wrong with my game now. - Apart from the overarching problem of SWTOR content being concentrated on operations for the elitist few; and me getting tad bored grinding dailies. Edited by Karkais

As a subscriber I'm glad to see that more is being done for F2Pers. But I was wondering if subscribers can also get more slots per server once the 50 slots gets extended. With the legacy features most of us don't want to start on new servers but expand upon the time we've already invested in the game on our current servers so increasing the number of slots we get as paying subscribers is a must.

Alot of people "rage quit" warzones if things aren't going their way (a problem in itself).

When a F2P player comes into a game half over it seems especially unfair since they only get 5 chances a week to play only to have it wasted because a selfish player wanted an easy win.

^^ This, I'm not sure if this is actually happening but this is bad, same for flashpoints.

Begin Rant,

I dont believe you listen to my feedback. I have been upset about no low level purple crystals since launch. I have asked about them in the question sessions and many times on the forums. If not ignored, then I get flammed for it. You have never given a acceptable reason why we cant have purple for our leveling and I think it stinks and was a horrible decision by the dev team.

What do you do? You put a pink-purple one in a random box that I will NEVER pay for. if you put a level 1 purple with zero stats as a buy option I would, as its my favorite color.

Dont you get it that some of us just want a specific color for the way we imagine our toon? When I fight a mob in my story that is level 15 and it has a purple lightsaber that I cant loot, it seriously pisses me off!

End Rant

I'm a subscriber and I strongly believe that f2pers should not have to pay for UI components like hotbars. UI is not content, it is part of the infrastructure of the game to allow people to play the game. It just smacks of greed, in my humble opinion.

I'm a subscriber and I strongly believe that f2pers should not have to pay for UI components like hotbars. UI is not content, it is part of the infrastructure of the game to allow people to play the game. It just smacks of greed, in my humble opinion.

I agree with that. I'm fine with most restrictions but UI component restriction is just sad. All in all I'm glad they're listening to people. I'm also glad that BioWare still fighting to push SWTOR forward and not abandoning it even though I'm sure they're under heavy pressure from EA.

PS: All I want personally is a dual spec option. So I can pick up corruption alongside of Madness. It's only logical to be able to do that since support roles are in a greater need.

Edited by GwynbleiddiuM

Free to play members should not be limited on character customization like they are. It takes away from the role-playing aspect to be limited to the being just a plain human/cyborg with the only alien species available is Zabraks (available without spending Cartel Coins). They should have the same character customization that is available to a brand new subscriber making his/her first character as well.

If someone buys the game (it costs 15$ and comes with 1 month free) they have the same character creation options as any subscriber. They can then not subscribe and they will become preferred players. Considering that we are talking about 15$, there is no reason why somebody who has tried the game as a F2P and enjoyed it but decided that they really wanted a SITH Sith Warrior (for example) wouldn't go this route to unlock all the character race selections you get "out of the box".

Also, they should be able to hide their helmet slot to their desire, show their legacy name, unify armor colors, quickbar amount, etc. All these restrictions to FTP customization are unnecessary to have.

All of these restrictions are not nescessary to play the game either. Considering that they are playing for free, if it is really important to them, they can either unlock them (on a character or account-wide basis) or they can subscribe. On the other hand, there are plenty of pieces of gear that "go together", either color wise or because they are part of the same set, that can be acquired naturally from the GTN, quests and Planet Heroics (that's the way we all did it before "color matching" was added to the game). For the helmet slot, there are a number of "circlet style" helmets in the game (for all armor types) that don't cover the face (again, thats what we used for our companions before "hide helmet" was implemented for companions). Spending 4 euros (or buying the game or subscribing for 1 month) will make you a Preferred Status player and provide you with 4 quickbars. There really isn't a problem here.

Free to play people have no right to complain, they should be happy ....

I tend to agree. *However* I still feel that they should be able to report in game issues they find. I also feel that there should be a forum section where they can post so that they can ask questions and interact with the community in some way.

Heh... i find it immensely amusing that they want feedback from the players regarding the new F2P option and then dont let F2P players post on the forums...

Great way to get feedback guys :p

Maby they could send them a letter :p

(yeah, i know about facebook and all that, but still).

As for actual feedback?

Heres some in regards to F2P:

1: Relax the "uncalledfor" restrictions a bit. Let them hide headslots and colour coordinate armour. Not for their sake, but for ours... so we dont have to look at clown armour all day.

2: Give them the option of sending items so we dont have to have massive fights if someone happens to need on something in a flashpoint that they really didnt need. Right now they cant even send it to whoever actually needed it if they made a mistake.

Besides, its not going to stop gold farming if thats what its there for. So open up a bit on that ok?

Other than that, the F2P is shaping up. Most can enjoy the game (even ex subbers) enough to get sucked into it and maby spending a few bucks on cartel coins or actually subbing.

And thats why the F2P option is there in the first place.

Other than that, i think the game is progressing in a decent direction as long as you dont start investing all your time and effort in the cartel shop, and keep giving us good content in exchange for our subs.

50 characters? More than 50?!

Why the heck would I need to create 20 troopers, or whatever?

Every man needs an army. When I was a Death Knight in service of the High king Varian, I had an army of unliving beings, here I have to make one. So 50, is reasonable.

just to be safe: /sarcasm