Announcing SWMoniTOR! - Peer-to-Peer Live Combat Parsing

Announcing SWMoniTOR! - Peer-to-Peer Live Combat Parsing

We're happy to announce the public release of a brand new live combat parsing application. We released a few weeks later than we could have but we wanted to make sure things were pretty solid first. We hope you enjoy using our softwre and we look forward to continuing to develop SWMoniTOR for the SWTOR community. The application download, screenshots and other details are available at the SWMoniTOR website - http://www.swmonitor.com including several tutorials (with more on the way soon).

:sy_star: SWMoniTOR Features

SWMoniTOR is an advanced live combat log parser for Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR). SWMoniTOR specializes in providing detailed, live feedback on your personal, group or operation performance during, immediately following or many days after your encounters. There are many powerful and flexible features for SWMoniTOR including:

:sy_star: Peer to Peer Communications

SWMoniTOR's peer to peer nature is unique among combat parsers for SWTOR and offers the following benefits:

• Live - Data from encounters is gathered realtime from the members of your group/operation. No need to force everyone to remember to upload one or more cryptically-named log files after operations when they just want to go to bed.
  • Private - Your combat data is shared only between members of your group/operation, not transmitted through or stored on a central server.
  • Scalable - SWMoniTOR can easily scale to many, many times more concurrent users than other solutions that become lagged during peak hours. SWMoniTOR also doesn't require a beefy server capable of storing large amounts of historical data or using large amounts of expensive bandwidth.

:sy_star: Access to Full Details

SWMoniTOR provides full access to every line of combat data generated by your group/operation. Using the drill down nature of SWMoniTOR's parse viewer, you can easily filter down to the specific detail lines you are looking for to theorycraft or analyze yourself, your group or your operation into a lean, mean fighting/healing machine.

:sy_star: Analysis Tools and Graphs (coming soon)

SWMoniTOR will provide many tools and graphs to help distill down the massive amount of details that it gathers from your group/operation. Whether you are looking for specific patterns of activity or simply trying to get the "big picture", SWMoniTOR will help you do it quickly and easily.

:sy_star: Efficient Speed and Size

SWMoniTOR was developed to have minimal impact on your gaming performance.

• SWMoniTOR requires very little CPU resources and uses only a few dozen megabytes of memory with a full operation of parse data loaded.
  • The user interface is crisp and clean and responds quickly, even with large amounts of data loaded.
  • The binary storage format for SWMoniTOR is also quite small; much smaller than the size of a zipped combat log text file yet still containing all of the same information and more.

:sy_star: Fully Dockable User Interface

All of SWMoniTOR's windows are fully dockable into the main application window (space saving) or can be free-floating (perfect for multiple monitors).

:sy_star: Compatible Export Format

If you want to use a web based tool to analyze/share your parse data, you can export the combined parse data of your group/operation from SWMoniTOR to the standard SWTOR combat log format and then upload it. No need to wait for 15 other gamers to get around to uploading their parse data.

:sy_star: Tutorials

The following tutorials are available on the SWMoniTOR website:

Edited by Gaktar

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had it installed all of about 10mins and I love it. Cant really test it out much but tomorrow is the start of weekly raid days so im looking forward to see how well the raid sync and threat meters work, looks a hell of alot better than MoX.

:D

How do I setup this thing?! O_o

No FAQ, no tutorials, empty Options menu... Where can I put in my logs path? How do I connect to my raid? How... amagad so many questions.

There are some tutorials on our website (in the Forums section) with more to come soon (later today for raid setup and navigating parse data). We'll be adding a ton more configuration options soon but in general it should just run if you have combat logs turned on.

Here's a quick and dirty tutorial on creating a group/operation:

1. Make sure you have logs turned on, run MoniTOR and hit your self buff. You should see your current character's name show up in the upper right corner of the main UI window (log path is automatically detected but we'll be adding in a configuration option later just in case the auto-detect doesn't work).
  2. Click on the Join button (the left button on the Group/Operation window), select the Create New Group/Operation tab and give the group a name (or just use the default value is fine as well).
  3. This will generate a key that you can give to other members in your group/operation (something like MoniABC123). To make it easier to pass out to others, you can double click on the key in the group/operation window to put it on the clipboard.
  4. To join an existing group/operation, hit the Join button and type in the key that was given to you. If you already have the key value on the clipboard before you hit the join button, it will be put into the key edit box for to make it easier.

That's pretty much it. I'll be expanding on these steps with screenshots and a lot more details similar to our MoniTOR installation guide tutorial.

Also, if you encounter any errors please feel free to post here or on our forums, we've done a LOT of testing but I'm sure there will be a few more glitches from a full public release and we want this thing to be as solid as possible.

Thanks!

Edited by Gaktar

Wow...I've been actually working on a very similar project using the same concept: live combat parser based on peer-to-peer networking.

I will definitively have a look at it !!

Is it developed in .NET ?? If so, let me know if you plan on open source it and/or if you want some help. I will be glad to join forces instead of having two different projects doing basically the same thing.

Best regards !!!

I didn't see it listed in the feature list, but what are the chances of tracking effective healing or overhealing? If I'm not mistaken, it's unfortunately non-trivial. Since you don't get current health reported in the combat log you need to track damage and incoming heals on a per-person basis, and then attribute the healing appropriately.

Any chances of that in the future? I would love you forever. =) It's difficult to compare heals between my scoundrel and our guild's sage since at least in MOX parser it counts every bit of healing from the sage's aoe even if everyone is topped off.

I didn't see it listed in the feature list, but what are the chances of tracking effective healing or overhealing? If I'm not mistaken, it's unfortunately non-trivial. Since you don't get current health reported in the combat log you need to track damage and incoming heals on a per-person basis, and then attribute the healing appropriately.

Any chances of that in the future? I would love you forever. =) It's difficult to compare heals between my scoundrel and our guild's sage since at least in MOX parser it counts every bit of healing from the sage's aoe even if everyone is topped off.

We've already got a plan in place to track overheals and blowthrough heals along with actual heals. It still won't be exact but it will be a lot more accurate than it is now. The basic approach will be to track incoming damage on each combatant and use that to track how much of a heal was actual heal, how much was a blowthrough (actual heal + extra heal that was needed) and how much is overheal (no actual heal, just overheal). Where it won't be exact is when a players max health changes due to buffs and such during an encounter, but it's the most accurate way we can think of at the moment.

Edited by Gaktar

We've already got a plan in place to track overheals and blowthrough heals along with actual heals. It still won't be exact but it will be a lot more accurate than it is now. The basic approach will be to track incoming damage on each combatant and use that to track how much of a heal was actual heal, how much was a blowthrough (actual heal + extra heal that was needed) and how much is overheal (no actual heal, just overheal). Where it won't be exact is when a players max health changes due to buffs and such during an encounter, but it's the most accurate way we can think of at the moment.

That's already a huge improvement. I suspect that it would be difficult to account for something like the sage's armor bubble thing too, no? Though I haven't seen how that appears in the combat log. Glad to hear it. =)

Edited by Seront

That's already a huge improvement. I suspect that it would be difficult to account for something like the sage's armor bubble thing too, no? Though I haven't seen how that appears in the combat log. Glad to hear it. =)

Bubble healing only shows up in the logs as an absorption value on a target's damage line with no source information of who provided the bubble. It should be possible to track when a bubble is cast and who cast it so similar to overheals there's a plan we have in place to track this but it won't be completely accurate if you have overlapping bubbles from different healers. However, as there are more abilities added to the game that provide absorption healing, it will be more difficult to track the sources of that "healing" without some additional information being provided in the combat logs by Bioware.

Edited by Gaktar

Can't you look at the amount of threat that a heal generates in order to compute effective healing?

Can't you look at the amount of threat that a heal generates in order to compute effective healing?

Using threat won't work since there are abilities that reduce hate (Guard) and I'm pretty sure there's healing abilities that generate less or no hate than the actual heal amount. Basically, threat is not going to be very accurate to try to figure out actual heals.

Edited by Gaktar

Using threat won't work since there are abilities that reduce hate (Guard) and pretty I'm sure there's healing abilities that generate less or no hate than the actual heal amount. Basically, threat is not going to be very accurate to try to figure out actual heals.

Could you track if a healer got guard (not very common in an Operation I would guess) and then adjust their threat upward by the amount reduced by guard if necessary?

I can't speak with any knowledge about the threat modifiers for heals, but I would guess the people at MMO Mechanics have already done some work on that you could start from. Sites like Torparse are calculating effective heals (or trying to), so I assume that is what they are doing.

Using threat won't work since there are abilities that reduce hate (Guard) and I'm pretty sure there's healing abilities that generate less or no hate than the actual heal amount. Basically, threat is not going to be very accurate to try to figure out actual heals.

Yeah, as Wugan said, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it. I believe torparse is using threat as a way to compute effective healing, and it seems to be working rather well. The difficulty just comes from the talents that reduce threat as well as Guard, but I believe you can readily discern whether or not the talents are in effect as well as whether or not Guard is in effect simply by observing the heal numbers. There will be enough "full heals" that you'd be able to determine the modifier for each individual.

Yeah, as Wugan said, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it. I believe torparse is using threat as a way to compute effective healing, and it seems to be working rather well. The difficulty just comes from the talents that reduce threat as well as Guard, but I believe you can readily discern whether or not the talents are in effect as well as whether or not Guard is in effect simply by observing the heal numbers. There will be enough "full heals" that you'd be able to determine the modifier for each individual.

Thanks, I'll certainly take a look at that before we decide on a course and may end up doing a blending of the two modes. After my research I'll post the findings.

Edited by Gaktar

After playing around with this for a little while, I just want to say thanks for developing such a great tool. The interface is very clean and polished, and connecting to form an Operation group is very simple and seems to work great. I look forward to seeing this mature as people test it. And I really look forward to Bioware letting you create this as an in-game addon some day so it can more easily track multiple targets. :)

I havnt played around with this so sorry if this sounds stupid. But from the pictures on the site showing how it works, the threat meter shows numbers but no percentage of threat relative to whoever currently has aggro. Yknow to make it easier to see when a dps is approaching 130% threat or whatever.

Don't know if it's even possible to do that - but yeah, would be nice to see :)

Wow...I've been actually working on a very similar project using the same concept: live combat parser based on peer-to-peer networking.

I will definitively have a look at it !!

Is it developed in .NET ?? If so, let me know if you plan on open source it and/or if you want some help. I will be glad to join forces instead of having two different projects doing basically the same thing.

Best regards !!!

pretty sure it was written in delphi. feels that way anyway. I've be happy to help as well if you opened up the source.

I havnt played around with this so sorry if this sounds stupid. But from the pictures on the site showing how it works, the threat meter shows numbers but no percentage of threat relative to whoever currently has aggro. Yknow to make it easier to see when a dps is approaching 130% threat or whatever.

Don't know if it's even possible to do that - but yeah, would be nice to see :)

Yes, currently the threat meter only shows the total threat generated for the encounter. There are plans in place to display threat per enemy which would also include displaying the overtake gap percent. The only problem with this is that for enounters with multiple mobs named the same, there are no unique identifiers so they would all be counted as the same enemy (which is normally not a problem since they are usually low health trash).

Edited by Gaktar

pretty sure it was written in delphi. feels that way anyway. I've be happy to help as well if you opened up the source.

Yes, it's written in Delphi and we don't currently have any plans to release the source code for quite a few reasons(Why we don't release the source code?). Besides, I used to co-manage an open source project and it was a pain in the arse and I vowed to never do that again ;)

Edited by Gaktar

So far, I am loving this! Can't wait to see the single-target threat changes, and overhealing.

One idea I have, if you wouldn't mind taking suggestions. Me and my friend would prefer to run this mazimized, but that limits our visual perspective of Mumble. Would it be possible to have a plugin that would create a window in your program for VOIP programs like Mumble, Ventrilo, etc? If you could do that, me love you long time :D

We've used it in 16 persons raid the past two nights. While I enjoy the interface and improved metrics, connections are definitely an issue. People are randomly being included and excluded for certain encounters, randomly showing up in groups alone, being listed as "linkdead" when they appear connected on their end, etc. Edited by Maestrodomus

We've used it in 16 persons raid the past two nights. While I enjoy the interface and improved metrics, connections are definitely an issue. People are randomly being included and excluded for certain encounters, randomly showing up in groups alone, being listed as "linkdead" when they appear connected on their end, etc.

We've identified an issue that could be causing this, look for an update in the next day or two. We will also be improving the troubleshooting functionality to work within an already formed group to help identify what may be going wrong with this or other issues. In general though, MoniTOR should work for 16 man operations without a problem, that's the size operations we run most nights in my guild where it was beta tested.