Jedi Council

VitalityPrime

How do you feel about the Jedi Council?

For me...my love of anything Star Wars came from my love of the idea of the Force. Everything about it is just great in my opinion.

Add the ideas of Jedi and Sith to that...representing the light and dark side of the force just added to how I felt about Star Wars.

To me...Jedi were awesome...the "good guys"...if you will.

Then I got more into Star Wars lore...and especially the Clone Wars series...

...and then I realized they aren't all that great. Sometimes their actions, or lack thereof, are downright deplorable. (in my opinion)

I still love the Jedi...but not one that follows the code so strictly. I prefer the Anakin or Ahsoka type Jedi.

Which brings me to another question...would you consider Anakin and Ahsoka in that series as technically "Gray" Jedi?

Yes, yes I would.

I also agree that the Jedi Council can do some stupid things. But one must understand that they aren't infallible and when they are wrong typically do everything in their power to make it right. It should also be noted that the Jedi's moral underpinnings were being torn apart by the Clone Wars so their decisions were often made hastily and without proper thought.

Like the Senate, I think it is a good idea that has failures, but makes up for them.

Personally, I think you'd really like Luke's New Jedi Order much more than the Old Order.

Edited by StarSquirrel

^ what he said.

(Even though it's fully warranted considering how many fell and how many times the order has been wiped out) The Order is a touch too rigid and was most likely a turn off for many of it's followers. The mere act of trying so hard to resist the dark side turned out to be a contributing factor to the eventual fall of many. The force is an extremely interesting theory and we can go on for days discussing it as a whole and breaking down it's meaning because we all have a basic understanding but it's scale and functionality in the star wars verse is so massive, to majority of us (maybe all of us) it's still pretty vague when trying to rationalize it. You can see many of the force users in lore have a fairly intense struggle with the concept (i.e. Darth Caedus) and some just decide on a theory and react to it accordingly. (Darth Bane)

Star Wars lore can be a touch overwhelming, a little contradictory, and very confusing but it's very entertaining most of the time. :)

Edit: And to answer your question, i heard that GL isn't big on Gray these days so canonically i doubt she's[Ashoka] considered gray, but her thoughts and actions do somewhat repel the Rigid Structure of the Jedi code.. Anakin seems to be a dark Jedi in great denial during clone wars imo lol. But we'll say he's Light for most of it then gradually becomes Dark at the end.

Edited by jaytdasme

And to answer your question, i heard that GL isn't big on Gray these days so canonically i doubt she's[Ashoka] considered gray, but her thoughts and actions do somewhat repel the Rigid Structure of the Jedi code.. Anakin seems to be a dark Jedi in great denial during clone wars imo lol. But we'll say he's Light for most of it then gradually becomes Dark at the end.

Seasons 5 and 6 of the Clone Wars series are probably the absolute best measures of Anakin's true force alignment prior to becoming Darth Vader.

He is grey if you were to look at it from the view of the Jedi of his day. The problem is those jedi were blinded by rules, tradition, and a desire to avoid the Dark that actually (in some cases) overrode their willingness to do good. This was a compunction Anakin lacked.

If we look at Luke's New Jedi Order, these jedi might be considered grey by the standards of the Old order. Their philosophy revolved around doing things not because they are told to, but to find why they are doing them, and if doing them is the right course of action. The New Order was far more individual-based, while the Old Order was highly organized into an order-based life. Essentially, Luke let his jedi do things based on if they were right or wrong for that individual, while the Old Order identified areas that could cause problems and issued blanket rules to prevent even the slightest trace of the Dark.

From a G-cannon view, he is technically Light as almost everything he does that conflicted with the council was done with the best of intentions and was the right thing to do until he became Vader.

Edited by StarSquirrel

Put simply, The Jedi Council is much like The Dark Council, few competent people, mostly comprised of zealots who have conflicting personalities. Also just as a side note, at least nobody on the Dark Council was SHOT IN THE FACE unlike Coleman Trebbor, who was on the Jedi Council, until he got shot point blank IN THE FACE by Jango Fett.