A solution to the loss of names due to transfers

RaithHarth

For the past couple of weeks I've been going over suggestions and disputes concerning SWTOR's "naming policies" some have brought up the idea of using "alt codes" which I consider as a "cheat" which not only looks silly but it makes you look like an imposter, especially if you plan on using the name Bàstila as a username or skywalkêr as a legacy name. While others have accepted "the first come, first serve" policy that bioware has to offer, but there are those that take alot of pride in both our usernames & legacy names based on the fact those names had meaning behind the story that we had endorsed to those characters and now it's meaningless because our identities have been stripped away.

What is the solution?

-use the combination of Name & Legacy into user account, we can have different users with the name John, and many users with the legacy name Smith, there is just one catch, there can only be one John Smith per server, while other players can go by Joe Smith or John Doe

(It's a fact that MMO's like "Pirates of the Burning Sea" and "Guild Wars" use a similar naming pattern for their players)

What about when it comes to inviting players to social groups for warzones or flashpoints?

-Simple...Just right click on the name being displayed on general, private and/or guild chat for an invitation, and when you do type in the name John the display will offer hints of legacy names that share that name on which john you wish to invite

Ok what about the mailing system? how will that work?

-Whenever you type in a name when your trying to compose a message to a friend or a friendly player, it displays hints on what you are referring to, lets say I'm trying to mail John Smith, the display marker will hint out there are other players named John, such as John Doe, but that's where legacy name comes in handy because there can only be one John Smith, and another player by the name of Joe Smith.

Don't want your legacy name to be revealed?

nicknames would be an interesting feature to add to the legacy system, remember Ben Kenobi went by Obi Wan Kenobi, which could be used to recognize each individual player while one player is named John Smith, with another player going by the name of Jon Smith on the same server, this feature could also be used on players that prefer to hide their legacy name making it easier to recognize them.

Won't this be too confusing?

-Why would it? it worked successfully in POTBS, this could be another step in the right direction for the legacy system, take family tree's for example we can add our own siblings and rivals but what if we could add another player as a sibling with the same legacy name? Or what if a female character could have her legacy name changed if she married a male character/player? There are so many ways this could work out for bioware and the average player!

Edited by RaithHarth

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the support guys, keep the replies coming!

It's unfortunate that we had to go through such a harsh process due to transfers, being forced to change our identities is never a easy thing to do. We need to stand together to get our point across to Bioware, because really this is a serious issue that cannot be ignored any longer, many of us have canceled our subs in order to protest against this injustice.

The matter of the fact is uniqueness isn't always the best route to go, it's about selection and choice that always has the upper hand.

Thanks for the support guys, keep the replies coming!

It's unfortunate that we had to go through such a harsh process due to transfers, being forced to change our identities is never a easy thing to do. We need to stand together to get our point across to Bioware, because really this is a serious issue that cannot be ignored any longer, many of us have canceled our subs in order to protest against this injustice.

The matter of the fact is uniqueness isn't always the best route to go, it's about selection and choice that always has the upper hand.

I am sure Bioware got the point.. But on the same token, when are we supposed to act like adults and realize this is just a video game and we could just make up a new name.. Not make thread after thread after thread QQ'ing about how someone stole their name.. I know I know.. Always a lvl 1 and an inactive player too.. I know cause I did a search on /who and he hasn't played in 6 hours.. Give me a break..

There is no naming issue.. There are countless people that attempt to name their characters and legacy from the movies.. All of them should lose their names.. We don't need 9000 versions of Luke Skywalker.. Or 2000 versions of Bastila Shan.. If that is the best that some people can come up with.. They deserve to lose their name..

The best solution is that people learn to come up with original names.. I didn't lose any names when I transfered.. Didn't lose my legacy either.. People also need to change the spelling of their names..

Silvana

Sylvana

Syl'vana

Sil'vana

It isn't hard.. It isn't rocket science.. I am sure that 95% of the people can just change a single letter and keep their original name..

Another thing people can do is create test characters on the new server.. Deal with the naming issue before they move.. Instead of blaming everything on Bioware.. I created place holders for all my characters before I moved..

1: Was to just see if any names were taken.. Which they weren't..

2: Just to hold the names until I was actually ready to move.. I had to move a guild as well..

If there is a naming conflict, they can sit and create a replacement before they even transfer.. This is all easy stuff.. ;)

Edited by MajikMyst

I am sure Bioware got the point.. But on the same token, when are we supposed to act like adults and realize this is just a video game and we could just make up a new name.. Not make thread after thread after thread QQ'ing about how someone stole their name.. I know I know.. Always a lvl 1 and an inactive player too.. I know cause I did a search on /who and he hasn't played in 6 hours.. Give me a break..

There is no naming issue.. There are countless people that attempt to name their characters and legacy from the movies.. All of them should lose their names.. We don't need 9000 versions of Luke Skywalker.. Or 2000 versions of Bastila Shan.. If that is the best that some people can come up with.. They deserve to lose their name..

The best solution is that people learn to come up with original names.. I didn't lose any names when I transfered.. Didn't lose my legacy either.. People also need to change the spelling of their names..

Silvana

Sylvana

Syl'vana

Sil'vana

It isn't hard.. It isn't rocket science.. I am sure that 95% of the people can just change a single letter and keep their original name..

Another thing people can do is create test characters on the new server.. Deal with the naming issue before they move.. Instead of blaming everything on Bioware.. I created place holders for all my characters before I moved..

1: Was to just see if any names were taken.. Which they weren't..

2: Just to hold the names until I was actually ready to move.. I had to move a guild as well..

If there is a naming conflict, they can sit and create a replacement before they even transfer.. This is all easy stuff.. ;)

With all due respect, but wouldn't names like 'Roger, Geo'gina, and Sil'vana feel like a cheat? They are no better than the 'alt codes' that I listed above, they should all be removed from the system entirely.

It should be 'Letters' only in any name no exceptions!

Edited by RaithHarth

And in the case where someone has the exact same main and Legacy name? or has no legacy name? or perhaps you're trying to send it someone that chooses not to display their Legacy.

Like I said above, there can only be one John Smith per server, but there can be another player by the name of Joe Smith, or John Doe etc

Pirates of the Burning Sea has a similar naming design and it works perfectly, if you don't want to reveal your legacy name from sight that's fine, but in order to send a message you need their legacy to clarify that name.

Edited by RaithHarth

Like I said above, there can only be one John Smith per server, but there can be another player by the name of Joe Smith, or John Doe etc

Pirates of the Burning Sea has a similar naming design and it works perfectly, if you don't want to reveal your legacy name from sight that's fine, but in order to send a message you need their legacy to clarify that name.

which, correct me if I'm wrong, you wouldn't know if the person doesn't choose to tell you?

which, correct me if I'm wrong, you wouldn't know if the person doesn't choose to tell you?

Every username and legacy associated with that name would be in the mailing database, if I type in a name to mail to then a series of display markers will hint their legacy name. If that person doesn't want to reveal his legacy out to the public then why not just send a private message to the person that's mailing you? so he or she knows they are mailing the right person!

Edited by RaithHarth

Every username and legacy associated with that name would be in the mailing database, if I type in a name to mail to then a series of display markers will hint their legacy name. If that person doesn't want to reveal his legacy out to the public then why not just send a private message to the person that's mailing you? so he or she knows they are mailing the right person!

If we're going to go into "why not just....", why not just accept whatever new character name you have? Even if they would implement this feature, they're going to grandfather it in, because (as far as anyone can tell) servers don't keep track of what your name WAS.

I don't show my Legacy name at all, since it is completely optional. Plus I don't want you to know my legacy name or anyone else for that matter, since I have the option to completely hide it. I don't want you to be able to find my alts by my legacy name through the mail system. How would you differentiate me? Edited by monkgryphon

It should be 'Letters' only in any name no exceptions!
I completely disagree. The lore supports names with non-alphebetical letter. In fact one of the playable species in the game, the Twi'lek, utilize a naming system that always makes use of an apostrophe.

If the combination was first and last name then you would still get complaints on the forums because two people can't both have "John Smith". Additionally, iff John Smith on one server transfers to another server then the player still has to rename the character.

If it helps, think about the idea that your character's name was not "Aerith" it was "Aerith on The Harbinger". When transferred to Dalborra, that character's name is now "Aerith on Dalborra" which might conflict with an existing "Aerith on Dalborra". Thus the new Aerith ends up being "AIGFLEUIWEHSD on Dalborra" and can be renamed (but not renamed to "Aerith on Dalborra").

If I had designed it then names would be unique. Not unique per server but unique across all servers. Then these naming threads would not exist and we could go back to using the forums to ***** about 1.3. :-)

I don't show my Legacy name at all, since it is completely optional. Plus I don't want you to know my legacy name or anyone else for that matter, since I have the option to completely hide it. I don't want you to be able to find my alts by my legacy name through the mail system. How would you differentiate me?

I do the same. I don't want to show my legacy name, it makes that whole thing way too long.

In your solution are you going to make everyone show their (title?), first name and legacy name?

If not, it's going to be confusing to differentiate a player you meet John who doesn't show his legacy name and the twenty other Johns that you see running around. Did John you partied with last night choose to show his legacy name? Did he change his title?

A unique first name is easy. Good news is that you probably won't have to change your new name ever again.

To Darth_Halford:

So your implying that we just give up altogether and just accept what we got? How about no?? accepting defeat is not the answer, did Alexander the Great give up when he and his army of 47,000 went up against 250,000 persians? No he did not! samething applies here, if we do nothing then nothing will be done! Names are highly regarded to players especially in MMO's because those names are apart of their plot and story, this is no console game where names don't matter.

To monkgryphon and capitalbel:

If you rather hide and not be known because your unwilling to give out your legacy name well that is unfortunate however, there is an idea that if bioware goes through with this, they could add a feature where you can "add a friend/guild mailing list" therefore you will be automatically be added to everyone in your guild's or friend's mailing list without depending directly on your legacy name (updated the original post for more details)

To HeavensAgent:

I understand your concern, but if we have names like 'John, Deb'bie, Bàstila, or Elizabeth' then we are going to have problems.

To Havokk:

That's a risk we are going to have to take, I offered the best solution that could actually work for all of us, but having two John Smith's on the same server would complicate things, however you could always go by Jon Smith that would work if another player was going by John Smith.

Uniqueness is a major flaw in MMO's these days, doing it your way would complicate things even further for players, it's about selection and choice.

Edited by RaithHarth

I completely disagree. The lore supports names with non-alphebetical letter. In fact one of the playable species in the game, the Twi'lek, utilize a naming system that always makes use of an apostrophe.

Seconded. I've been using an apostrophe in my character's name since SWG, and I actually considered adding an alt character because I thought it looked cool (though ultimately decided against it cause it makes it difficult for people to invite me for stuff).

To Darth_Halford:

So your implying that we just give up altogether and just accept what we got? How about no?? accepting defeat is not the answer, did Alexander the Great give up when he and his army of 47,000 went up against 250,000 persians? No he did not! samething applies here, if we do nothing then nothing will be done! Names are highly regarded to players especially in MMO's because those names are apart of their plot and story, this is no console game where names don't matter.

I've studied Alexander the Great, and you are not him, nor is this akin to anything that he did.

You know what really applies here? Facts, like the fact that the servers don't know what your legacy name used to be, so even if the change were done you wouldn't be able to get your old name back, or the fact that since you don't start off with a Legacy, any character you create will have the name of "John ______", and will be subject to the same rules as anyone else named "John ______". Than when it actually does come time to create your Legacy Name, your Legacy name will be limited by "John Smith". There maybe other Smith names open, but because there is another John Smith, all of your other characters will now have something that is not Smith.

Now it's a question time, how will the system keep track of the Legacy Level/Rewards for your group of Smiths v. someone elses group of Smiths? Currently it doesn't have to, so now you have to code a way for it to keep track of all of that in real-time.

Of course names are highly regarded here. No **** this isn't a single player game, I wasn't born last night. But, in every MMO I've ever played, once someone else has that name, nobody else on the server can. That's just how it's always been. Sure, a little Free To Play game may allow different variations by including a surname, but their policy is the same. More to the point, it's a bug comparison because what you do on one character doesn't affect the other ones like Legacy does on the Old Republic.

Seconded. I've been using an apostrophe in my character's name since SWG, and I actually considered adding an alt character because I thought it looked cool (though ultimately decided against it cause it makes it difficult for people to invite me for stuff).

Having a ' in front of behind a username looks silly, sure you have characters like Obi-Wan Kenobi I will admit that's practical but 'Ronnie or Christopher'? now that just looks silly.

I've studied Alexander the Great, and you are not him, nor is this akin to anything that he did.

You know what really applies here? Facts, like the fact that the servers don't know what your legacy name used to be, so even if the change were done you wouldn't be able to get your old name back, or the fact that since you don't start off with a Legacy, any character you create will have the name of "John ______", and will be subject to the same rules as anyone else named "John ______". Than when it actually does come time to create your Legacy Name, your Legacy name will be limited by "John Smith". There maybe other Smith names open, but because there is another John Smith, all of your other characters will now have something that is not Smith.

Now it's a question time, how will the system keep track of the Legacy Level/Rewards for your group of Smiths v. someone elses group of Smiths? Currently it doesn't have to, so now you have to code a way for it to keep track of all of that in real-time.

Of course names are highly regarded here. No **** this isn't a single player game, I wasn't born last night. But, in every MMO I've ever played, once someone else has that name, nobody else on the server can. That's just how it's always been. Sure, a little Free To Play game may allow different variations by including a surname, but their policy is the same. More to the point, it's a bug comparison because what you do on one character doesn't affect the other ones like Legacy does on the Old Republic.

Never said I was Alexander I'm just comparing what he had to go through with his army in order to take down the Persian Empire, when many thought it was a suicide mission they prevailed because they were determined and used brilliant tactics to out maneuver the enemy. Same can be said here, especially when many subscribers have lost faith in bioware due to this incident, sure server transfers don't keep track of names, but at least give us the option to change tactics and pick whatever name we want to be without the fear of loss, names are so hard to come by especially for those that have stood by those names since launch, they have worked hard for those names because they meant something to people like me.

Apparently you haven't played Pirates of the Burning Sea or Guild Wars, because they have a much better naming policy, and they happen to be MMO's, who would of thought? they aren't forced to change their names, because they offer the player the freedom to pick any name of their choice and really that's what it's all about.

Edited by RaithHarth

Never said I was Alexander I'm just comparing what he had to go through with his army in order to take down the Persian Empire, when many thought it was a suicide mission they prevailed because they were determined and used brilliant tactics to out maneuver the enemy. Same can be said here, especially when many subscribers have lost faith in bioware due to this incident, sure server transfers don't keep track of names, but at least give us the option to change tactics and pick whatever name we want to be without the fear of loss, names are so hard to come by especially for those that have stood by those names since launch, they have worked hard for those names because they meant something to people like me.

Apparently you haven't played Pirates of the Burning Sea or Guild Wars, because they have a much better naming policy, and they happen to be MMO's, who would of thought? they aren't forced to change their names, because they offer the player the freedom to pick any name of their choice and really that's what it's all about.

there is nothing to compare. You're comparing the military tactics of an ancient era General in the meditteranean region to a customer service request in an online game.

If you think what you're doing is a "tactic", you've given yourself entirely too much credit.

Sure, some people may have "lost faith" with Bioware. Still many more have come back just thankful that they have a server to play on, regardless of if they had to keep their character or Legacy names or not. Overall its a net positive for them.

What "loss" are you really afraid of? Either you've already transferred your character(s) and have already lost anything that could potentially be lost, or you haven't and you have nothing to lose either way.

Once again, there is no "tactic" to be changed into how you pick your name. You pick a name you like or fits your character and your done.

To say that names are hard to come by is completly untrue. You have twenty six alphabetic characters and several grammatical character to use: There is no way there is a shortage on possible names (Unless you're trying to name your character after other Star Wars characters).

You didn't work any harder for your name than I did for mine. Don't be unrealistic about this. You used your digits, connected to your hands, connected to your arms, etc, and through the muscular and nervous system punched the keys on your keyboard and hit Enter to make your character. Just on physical expenditure of energy, you spend far energy deciding the characters class, species, and appearance, than you do their name.

I did play Burning Sea when it first came out....for a week. Most boring MMO game I've ever played, without a shadow of a doubt. As per its naming policy, that does not seem to be readily available on the public record, but I imagine that the policy, as far as what is or is not allowed is the same. The mechanics may allow for greater flexibility, but the policy is the same.

The question is still out there by the way, how do you make this game act like that game while still keeping track of all the Legacy Rewards?

Edited by Darth_Halford

To monkgryphon and capitalbel:

If you rather hide and not be known because your unwilling to give out your legacy name well that is unfortunate however, there is an idea that if bioware goes through with this, they could add a feature where you can "add a friend/guild mailing list" therefore you will be automatically be added to everyone in your guild's or friend's mailing list without depending directly on your legacy name (updated the original post for more details)

What do you do when you have 2 or 5 people named John that choose not to show their legacy names? Have 5 Johns that you have no way to distinguish which is which on a mailing list?

there is nothing to compare. You're comparing the military tactics of an ancient era General in the meditteranean region to a customer service request in an online game.

If you think what you're doing is a "tactic", you've given yourself entirely too much credit.

Sure, some people may have "lost faith" with Bioware. Still many more have come back just thankful that they have a server to play on, regardless of if they had to keep their character or Legacy names or not. Overall its a net positive for them.

What "loss" are you really afraid of? Either you've already transferred your character(s) and have already lost anything that could potentially be lost, or you haven't and you have nothing to lose either way.

Once again, there is no "tactic" to be changed into how you pick your name. You pick a name you like or fits your character and your done.

To say that names are hard to come by is completly untrue. You have twenty six alphabetic characters and several grammatical character to use: There is no way there is a shortage on possible names (Unless you're trying to name your character after other Star Wars characters).

You didn't work any harder for your name than I did for mine. Don't be unrealistic about this. You used your digits, connected to your hands, connected to your arms, etc, and through the muscular and nervous system punched the keys on your keyboard and hit Enter to make your character. Just on physical expenditure of energy, you spend far energy deciding the characters class, species, and appearance, than you do their name.

I did play Burning Sea when it first came out....for a week. Most boring MMO game I've ever played, without a shadow of a doubt. As per its naming policy, that does not seem to be readily available on the public record, but I imagine that the policy, as far as what is or is not allowed is the same. The mechanics may allow for greater flexibility, but the policy is the same.

The question is still out there by the way, how do you make this game act like that game while still keeping track of all the Legacy Rewards?

I can't speak for everyone who has felt drafted because of the transfers, but when you pick a name any name it's suppose to stay with you, I've been with swtor since launch, I am a very loyal customer to bioware, but the matter of the fact is these names mean a great deal to most players, they are apart of the character's identity regardless of transfers, it was only a matter of time before they ended up forcing everyone to disband from our original servers anyways.

The naming process is a very difficult one, especially for those that take them seriously, sometimes it takes months to plan them only because they want the name to be iconic (like Obi-Wan Kenobi) only to have them taken away? How will my story ever be the same when I'm going by another name? It's not the same! You say POTBS mechanics may allow for greater flexibility, but the policy is the same, yes I will agree to that but maybe it's time for Bioware to do the same with SWTOR, it needs more flexibility in it's naming policy.

What do you do when you have 2 or 5 people named John that choose not to show their legacy names? Have 5 Johns that you have no way to distinguish which is which on a mailing list?

only one John per server would be allowed to do so, having 2 or 5 johns hiding their legacy name would make things too complicated, unless you go by Jon instead of John then it would be accessable.

Or maybe it's just better off eliminating hiding legacy names altogether at least it wouldn't complicate things.

Edited by RaithHarth