GCW + Real Space Sim

delano

lolwut?

What part didn't you understand? There were forums (not an official website, as I stated before) that were opened up to get feedback from actual players.

That was 2005.....the same time SWG nerfed their game.

Read the quote I put up from Wikipedia.....they had almost 2 years of development before their "official" announcement.

I can't make it anymore clear.

Yes becaues you were not part of the developers forums they had BEFORE the official announcement.

Just ask anyone who has been following this since then....they started developing it JUST as SWG announced the first of 2 huge mistakes for SOE.....the CU and the NGE.

Why would I make something like this up?

BioWare officially denied involvement in making a new Star Wars MMO until that October announcement. They said they were working on an MMO in Austin, but wouldn't say anything beyond that. Stop making things up. If you are talking about the old official BW forums, they weren't talking about this game at that time; they weren't saying anything about their secret MMO. If you're talking about the old SWG forums, they have NOTHING to do with these ones.

You must not have leveled up enough in your 6 months to experience the huge battles that were had in player cities.

You had to gain ground and attack bases, and then grind for faction to build and buy more parts and mats to keep it up. The more bases you had the more guild buffs you got.

There's SO much more to it, a lot to get into here, but everyone loved it, and that's why nobody will ever stop talking about SWG PRE NGE and the disaster that SOE made of the game.

The only great thing peeps loved about Pre-CU was the massive community/player cities/32 profs/crafting. Sure, PvP was abundant, but it was also broken with DoT weapons galore, and lacked any content worth mentioning/doing. CU balanced the combat out to some degree, but by then, WoW was new and the game was bleeding subs. The initial NGE was indeed terribad, but post NGE was probably the best platform of PvP the game had, sadly you didn't get a chance to experience it.

What part didn't you understand? There were forums (not an official website, as I stated before) that were opened up to get feedback from actual players.

Read the quote I put up from Wikipedia.....they had almost 2 years of development before their "official" announcement.

I shall check it out then...

BioWare officially denied involvement in making a new Star Wars MMO until that October announcement. They said they were working on an MMO in Austin, but wouldn't say anything beyond that. Stop making things up. If you are talking about the old official BW forums, they weren't talking about this game at that time; they weren't saying anything about their secret MMO. If you're talking about the old SWG forums, they have NOTHING to do with these ones.

LOL why is anything that you have never heard of "making it up"?

Because you know everything?

They were in development for almost TWO YEARS before the official announcement....I quoted a part from Wikipedia that I found.....they had forums (NOT an official website) that were open to discuss the development of the game between the concept designers and the small team of 12 devs they had.

I don't even know what BW is, and no this was not a SWG forum.

Just because you cover your ears and yell "NO NO NO" doesn't mean it isn't true.

Again, why would anyone make something like this up? You think I have some agenda ? lol

LOL why is anything that you have never heard of "making it up"?

Because you know everything?

They were in development for almost TWO YEARS before the official announcement....I quoted a part from Wikipedia that I found.....they had forums (NOT an official website) that were open to discuss the development of the game between the concept designers and the small team of 12 devs they had.

I don't even know what BW is, and no this was not a SWG forum.

Just because you cover your ears and yell "NO NO NO" doesn't mean it isn't true.

Again, why would anyone make something like this up? You think I have some agenda ? lol

Ok then, not "making it up" -- would you prefer "you don't know what you're talking about"?

BW = BioWare... y'know, the developers you claim to be talking about. Yes the game was in development for years prior to 2008, but they weren't talking about it outside of BioWare Austin. There weren't any forums where the devs were discussing this game with people as you claim, that's just untrue.

The only great thing peeps loved about Pre-CU was the massive community/player cities/32 profs/crafting. Sure, PvP was abundant, but it was also broken with DoT weapons galore, and lacked any content worth mentioning/doing. CU balanced the combat out to some degree, but by then, WoW was new and the game was bleeding subs. The initial NGE was indeed terribad, but post NGE was probably the best platform of PvP the game had, sadly you didn't get a chance to experience it.

Oh no doubt about it...they had tons of problems.... but imagine if they had spent the same resources nerfing it and completely redesigning it, on fixing the current problems.

I will give SWTOR its due, they managed to get decent balance in pvp....but like I said before, that's not hard to do when everyone has 2 major and 1 minor CC, 1 CC break, atleast 1 DoT, sprint, 1 buff, etc, etc.....

I'm not even asking for the same game, just saying if they used that as a model people would be much happier now.

PVP was super broken in SWG, but it was broken in a way everyone could take advantage of... The doc buffs, OP profs like BH and creaturehandler or lulz... BH/Creature Handler... :D

anyway it was alot of fun.. but, not Wowkiddie fun, so its not allowed anymore, and anyone that brings it up should be shouted down, dragged through the street and made to play linear theme parks till any hope or shred of enjoyment is throughly purged from their minds.

what we really need is more nerf Marauder threats.

Edit: Nevermind i see it. Its just under a year after the NGE was implemented

Edited by Mossesman

Ok then, not "making it up" -- would you prefer "you don't know what you're talking about"?

BW = BioWare... y'know, the developers you claim to be talking about. Yes the game was in development for years prior to 2008, but they weren't talking about it outside of BioWare Austin. There weren't any forums where the devs were discussing this game with people as you claim, that's just untrue.

You are saying that I am either lying or hallucinating.

I lived it, I was there. This isn't 2nd hand information.

Everyone was excited, and everyday there were polls about what would go in the game. I've never seen a more engaging team of developers and community before....but when they made the official announcement in 2008, hundreds of thousands logged on, and started the nerf party.

Just find one of the original 12 devs on facebook and ask em yourself. <shrug>

PVP was super broken in SWG, but it was broken in a way everyone could take advantage of... The doc buffs, OP profs like BH and creaturehandler or lulz... BH/Creature Handler... :D

anyway it was alot of fun.. but, not Wowkiddie fun, so its not allowed anymore, and anyone that brings it up should be shouted down, dragged through the street and made to play linear theme parks till any hope or shred of enjoyment is throughly purged from their minds.

what we really need is more nerf Marauder threats.

lol well said....

Which quote are you on about?

Well since the 2008 official announcement, the forums I am referring to were wiped, deleted, whatever.

I tried to find some record of it, so I noticed on Wikipedia they talked about the development team and how they worked on the game for almost 2 years before the announcement in 08.

Everyone is saying I just imagined it all lol.

The developers came on everyday with polls and stuff, and the people were actually shaping the way the game would come out.. They would actually DO whatever suggestion won on each poll....so if 65% said we should only have 1 toon for account, that's how many they decided on. Actually implementing what the people want....imagine that.

Then they made the official announcement, which I guess went on the back on cereal boxes or something, because hundreds of thousands of Xbox generation signed up for the forums. The nerf fest began, and the rest is history.

They said they had a huge world already created and the computational code was being written...which is basically everything you interact with and the system itself.....so why did it take them 3 years to launch after MANY postponements? Becuase they kept having to change their plan to soothe the mass of screaming Xbox generation.

Edit: Nevermind i see it. Its just under a year after the NGE was implemented

Yeah, that's what kind of impact the NGE had.....you guys have no idea how fuming everyone was! The anger has never completely faded as everyone can see, people like me and a bunch of other diehards are still screaming about it! lol

Not back in 2005 they didn't. Before they found out how much this whole thing would cost, and they couldn't do it without the backing of a huge corporation.....so they sold out and we get a WoW clone....it's really not that new of a concept either, it's happened before.

I'm going to need proof on that, because I remember exactly the opposite. Provide a dev quote for us, please.

SWG was a terrible game in many facets.

However, one of the few things that game did incredibly well was the community features, and Open World PvP. There were no battlefields (aka warzones) until about 2 years ago. World PvP was focused around one area, Restuss, but you could easily engage in massive Open World PvP anywhere at anytime. I took part in some fantastic dynamic battles in SWG, and that is something that this game is missing.

Ilum was a catastrophe, but only because of the way it was implemented. The biggest problem I see with Ilum is that there is no incentive to hang out there. At each faction's base on Ilum you should be able to pick up/turn in your PvP daily quests. There should be GTNs that are networked with the ones on the respective Fleets. There should be PvP vendors available in each faction base

Add in new daily/weekly quests that give daily commendations (there really should be a way to earn daily comms through pvp, that whole "encouraging alternate play-styles" thing) that require you to complete certain objectives.

Using Restuss from SWG as an example, make a central area where PvP can break out over trying to control the daily/weekly objectives. In SWG, both factions would be required to go to a specific area to take out a series of NPCs and then take out a boss npc. Competition for this area led to some fun PvP engagements.

I also think that Rift had a really great PvP system with the rifts. I would really like to see a similar system where zone-wide events randomly take place in Ilum. Maybe have them reward Warzone Commendations to further encourage players to participate.

We need more PvP areas, and they need to be easily accessible. The Dune Sea on Tatooine is a potentially great place for open world PvP. The issue exists with that being a low level zone however, but there are ways to adapt an open world PvP system to work around. Corellia should have an objective based PvP area, similar to Ilum. And all of these areas should be able to be accessed from a shuttle located on the fleet that takes you directly to the battlefield.

Right now, the Fleet is a more appealing place to hang out for PvP than Ilum. That is a fundamental problem, and there are a ton of easy ways to fix it

• 9 months later...
This is not a QQ rage-quit post....just a plain, simple fact that I KNOW many others share. Add these 2 things to the game or lots of people walk. The game is extreme easy-mode theme park which is supposed to appeal to the masses....both kids and hardcore players alike. Got news for you...it doesn't appeal to the hardcore.

Here's another fact....the hardcore gamers are how you make money. over time Any MMO where you can reach end-game in a few short weeks is destined to have high attrition. This is not a formula for long term success.

IMO the following 2 things, as stated in the title, should be priority number one. Not new titles, or colored gear, or anything else that has a 5 second "Ooooh ahhh" appeal, and then transforms into "we want more content!"

1. Get a GCW because PvP is a snoozefest. Limited, linear, controlled PvP like WZ's are only fun for a small period of time.

If you want a model to follow, look no farther than SWG. You don't have to copy it exactly but it serves as a great start.

2. Make space a viable part of the game, not an arcade-style way to pass some time. Smugglers should be able to smuggle and there should be PvP. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is a rail system too, that I absolutely loved....when I was 8....so please take us off the rail, add PvP, and make space part of the game, not a filler.

Thanks for reading!

I'd like to see this in'game ... *push*