Did Mace Windu really die?

jedimasterjac

But i like Thrawn, the Imperial Remnant and Kyle Katarn :( Q-Q

Kyle Katarn is my favorite Jedi and the Thrawn stuff was awesome.

But I can put aside the parts that I love about the EU to admit that the majority of it is trash. That's what happens when you let literally anybody write for your universe. I hope they keep the memorable stuff like you mentioned (and especially Mara Jade) but most of it could be lost and nobody would shed a tear but the writers.

Errr... haven't you seen Robot Chicken? Mace Windu is

But but but, in Star Wars a fall down a pit or off the side of a building isn't a guaranteed death! I mean, just look at Maul, Boba and the Emperor!!!!111!!!1!!1 (extenuating circumstances I know, just making a facetious point.)

That report isn't true, it's confirmed bunk. It also said Harrison Ford would be reprising his role when he said himself he would never do so. Most likely the new trilogy will feature a new cast of characters, the closest we'll get to the old ones is Luke's new Jedi Order; which is only if they don't **** on the EU.

(I wouldn't mind if they did. Most of the EU is absolutely terrible and people are just scared to admit it)

Ford said he would not sign anything without a director or script in place. He never said he would not do it, he just wants to know he is not signing onto a movie that sits in production hell for 2 years. He does however seem to be insisting on Han's death.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/05/star-wars-sequel-harrison-ford-han-solo-exclusive/

No body seemed to mind Boba Fett not being dead after falling into the Pit of Carkoon but there was no evidence in the "canon" to prove that he could escape... Just sayin'. A character like Windu cannot survive because he represents the Jedi, who need to be extinct shortly. Otherwise there'd be a similar version of "Old Ben" wandering around some swamp... Okay, just for pretends lets say the Windu DID survive. The best explanation is that, similar to Obi-Wan keeping an eye on Luke on Tatooine, Windu healed up from his fall and post Order 66 went to watch over Leia on Alderaan, where he later died via Death Star. There we go. And when Obi-Wan "feels a million voices cry out at once..." he knows for sure Windu is dead and must ensure that Luke is indeed their last hope.

We all saw him fall out the window, yes, but being a Jedi, he could have used some force technique to slow his decent or created a force shield. Since it never technically shows him dead, how do we know he did not live?

No he's not lets count all dead characters that has come back and you understand why he's alive:

1: Darth Maul. Stabbed and cut in two with a lightsaber, then fall down that pipe or what it was in ep1. But he come back in Clone Wars. I mean really, you tell me he survived that :eek:

2: The emperor(from the SW films) wasd cast down a looong pipe but yeah he come back in a trioligy (don't remember which). Come on, he's DEAD!

3: The emperor (from SWTOR) I stabbed him and sliced him 100 times or so with my lightsabers as a jedi sentinel and watch him die. But yeah of course he's still alive!

4: Revan. Jedi-Sith then jedi again. And died and was reborn again. Truly a interesting life:D

5: Exar Cun. Was killed by the whole jedi order but of course he rised again! :eek:

6. And after this WHY not bring back Vindu too? Let's just wake up every jedi and sith! I want Kreia, Yoda, Starkiller; Luke; Anakin, The excile, Kira Carsen, darth vader, Bastilla, satele; Malgus and every dead jedi and sith back in SW ep 7 attack of the undead! I mean WHAT is it with DEAD jedies and siths being brought back to life again???

Edited by Sentinel-Jordal

• 9 months later...

Sorry to necro but I found this post so interesting. Because I ran a pen and paper RPG game not long ago in which Mace was back. And it freaked out the group heavily. Here is the stories. In my game....

Mace was battling the emperor as we see in the movies. Being electrocuted by Palpatine and having his hand cut off by Anakin caused Mace to go into shock. His primal instincts took over and subconsciously called on the power of the force. This protected his vital organs from the energy. But he appeared to die just before his body was flung through the window. He hit another building, going through the window. Again the force protected him as much as possible. He was found, rescued, and hidden away in the slums while he healed. It took a year to recover.

Now for my campaign. 4 players. One of which was force sensitive but didnt know it at the beginning. The group's story was following something I had read several years before. About a group of dark jedi named Vader's Dark Knights. I found it compelling and decided to use them as the main enemies of the campaign. Along with a few bounty hunters like Boba Fett. During the campaign the force sensitive and the group go in search of a hermit on Tatooine. And they find Ben. After an adventure dealing with Tusken Raiders with Ben at their side, the force sensitive is told, by Ben, what and who he is. He is then told to go to the Dagobah system and find Yoda. A nice adventure there dealing with the final "boss" a high level dark jedi.

Yoda then tells the young force sensitive that he can not train him. "Another I am waiting for. A different instructor you must seek hmm. To Dathomir you must go. A one handed man you must find yes.". So the group go to Dathomir and there learn of another hermit. One that lives in a very remote area of the planet. The campaign is done at this point. But they go anyway to seek out this one handed hermit. Emerging from a hut is a bald headed dark skinned man with one hand.

I ended it right there. Didnt give them a name or anything. And they went nuts. "Dude was that Mace?" "How could it be Mace? He died" Oh the discussion after that was hours trying to figure out how Mace could have survived.

I thought of trying to write a book about it, just to see if I could do it. But I aint much of a writer.

Edited by tyranusdarec

Sidious came back as living energy. Maul somehow survived.

Mace got his insides fried by Sidious' Lightning, this killed him instantly. Now if he somehow survived that, he still has to survive that long drop.

i read in one of the books that someone found maces lightsaber at the bottom pits of Coruscant , i dont think he died when he was lightning shocked... he was skill screaming when he was flying out of the window. and the air pressure sucked him out when he staggard too close to the window. another reason he survived the lightning is. remember when luke was getting the **** shocked out of him by Sidious in Jedi, id say he got shocked more then mace , but over all.. yea the fall would have killed him even after being shocked he would have been groggy and disoriented but who knows... darth maul was cut in half and survived so... id say mace could have had a better chance in surviving then maul so we'll see hers a image

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/msjt.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/4749/msjt.jpg

Edited by Foreignobjects

There is no reason for Mace Windu to come back, therefore he won't come back.

/debate.

:rolleyes: Maul didn't need to come back either. What kind of argument is that?

This is a trope of SW now, dead characters come back. This series recycles ideas and characters more then Family Guy.

Sooner or later it will probably happen.

:rolleyes: Maul didn't need to come back either. What kind of argument is that?

This is a trope of SW now, dead characters come back. This series recycles ideas and characters more then Family Guy.

Sooner or later it will probably happen.

Darth Maul was a relatively unexplored yet popular character who appeared only in one Star Wars film for a very short time. Essentially he was a whole lot of wasted potential. The Clone Wars capitalised on that potential and produced and excellent, fresh and interesting character responsible for, in my opinion, some of the best episodes in the series. And of course fantastically voice acted by Sam Witwer.

If Windu were to come back their would be no place for him, the character has been explored considerably both in the books, the movies and TCW series. There is no further place for him in the Star Wars universe, hence why he is dead.

As a side note the same can be said for Boba as can be said for Maul, pretty much completely unexplored character who barely said a word and then went and died. I can't pretend the like the fact that he crawled out of a Sarlaac pit three times. But heck, at least the character got the exposure he deserved.

So essentially, it doesn't matter if its possible or not. Anything is possible in Star Wars. What matters is what can be gained from brining him back? The answer is nothing. He is therefore not going to come back. End of.

So to sum up, Maul died too early, Mace died just right?

That's both entirely subjective and entirely besides my point. It doesn't matter when a character is taken off the stage, this series has proven time and again if a writer decides they want to bring them back, they will. Its the same rehash mentality that gives us repeated reflections of plot elements from the movies, like how popular carbonite freezing apparently is through the galaxy long before (and shortly before) Han was supposedly the first to ever be subjected to it.

Did Sidious need to come back either? One could argue both ways, as they could for Mace or Maul or anyone. The single exception is Vader who Lucas has been pretty adamant in dictating he stay dead (hence not even a false copy-cat being in Dark Empire)

Personally I thought Maul lasted exactly as long as he needed to. He was just an expendable assassin, not a real Sith, his Darth title was a joke and Sidious knew it. He served his usefulness and then got replaced. Done. Bringing him back only diminished Qui-Gon's sacrifice and Obi-Wans first real triumph in order to bring out a laughably short-sighted and short-lived rise only to fall right back off his horse the minute it reached a gallop. He isn't and never was an interesting character imo, I really don't get what people see in him. He's a dummy, a jock of a force user only good as a weapon not as any kind of thinker or leader. And thats exactly what Sidious raised him to be. He didn't want a real apprentice, somebody who could one day threaten his reign, he wanted a tool.

That's both entirely subjective and entirely besides my point. It doesn't matter when a character is taken off the stage, this series has proven time and again if a writer decides they want to bring them back, they will. Its the same rehash mentality that gives us repeated reflections of plot elements from the movies, like how popular carbonite freezing apparently is through the galaxy long before (and shortly before) Han was supposedly the first to ever be subjected to it.

Did Sidious need to come back either? One could argue both ways, as they could for Mace or Maul or anyone. The single exception is Vader who Lucas has been pretty adamant in dictating he stay dead (hence not even a false copy-cat being in Dark Empire)

Personally I thought Maul lasted exactly as long as he needed to. He was just an expendable assassin, not a real Sith, his Darth title was a joke and Sidious knew it. He served his usefulness and then got replaced. Done. Bringing him back only diminished Qui-Gon's sacrifice and Obi-Wans first real triumph in order to bring out a laughably short-sighted and short-lived rise only to fall right back off his horse the minute it reached a gallop. He isn't and never was an interesting character imo, I really don't get what people see in him. He's a dummy, a jock of a force user only good as a weapon not as any kind of thinker or leader. And thats exactly what Sidious raised him to be. He didn't want a real apprentice, somebody who could one day threaten his reign, he wanted a tool.

No its not subjective. The fact of the matter is that Maul was a far far less explored character than Windu, and he therefore has more potential as a character - simple as. It is as I said my opinion that Maul did good for the Clone Wars series, but I don't expect everyone to agree on that. But what you can't disagree with is that Maul was a little explored character, and much of his potential was wasted' as there was much much more he could contribute to the franchise. Whether you think those contributions ended up good or not is a matter of opinion.

Though it continues to baffle me how people have so much angst for the franchise when its much more fun to just go ahead an enjoy it. I admit it has flaws but come on people, lighten up. But that's besides the point.

So again, its not ' just a matter of time' before Windu comes back. Because like you said yourself, it will only happen if the writer's want it and because Windu has been so heavily explored and expanded upon, and there is really no place for him in post-ROTJ continuity, he lacks exploitable potential. Its therefore highly unlikely that a writer will sit down and say "hey lets bring Windu back." And if they do I will facepalm.

Did Sidious need to come back? Well he certainly didn't have that much screen time and until the release of Darth Plagueis has been a pretty unexplored character. I can see why I writer would want to bring him back for various reasons i.e. to provide Luke with a powerful villain and to see what the Emperor was capable of i.e. potential.

But I don't agree with it. Just like you don't agree with Maul, but potential is potential and Sidious had it.

P.S. Carbon-freezing had been used before Han Solo correct. However Vader didn't invent it originally either (he's powerful but he's no scientist) what he wanted was the Ugnaunts to modify the current freezing plant that was designed to freeze tibanna gas, so it could work on humans. This is a common misconception

All Sidious' Apprentices were the same in his mind

In the book of Sith he mentions Maul, Dooku and Vader in the same breath saying that they were ALL expendable tools and he also said that he had no intention for ANY of them (or anyone ever) to be his successor.

Sidious was obsessed with Immortality and lasting forever....

I think when Maul came back he showed a bit more to himself - and managed to get himself a powerbase from starting with nothing (he had installed himself behind the scenes as the ruler of Mandalore) - Sidious took matters into his own hands to stop this momentum.

Mace is ok but I think that he is a bit too much of an attempt to make a 'bad-***' Jedi - when Jedi don't really need to be bad-asses - it's just not what they are about or strive to be or what is cool about them.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing him as a force ghost.

Maul's popularity probably comes from his look and the fact that he was easily one of the most impressive on-screen fighters in the movie (the fight with him Qui Gon and Obi Wan are many peoples favourite of the entire movie franchise) and some were unsatisfied with what came after....

As someone that likes Maul - I didn't think that they should have brought him back either - but I have to agree that Maul/Savage Opress' was one of the best story arcs of the clone wars series...

Strangely however , with Sith I kind of find them more interesting and mysterious in some ways - the less I see or know about them..... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Mace Windu hit his head and rendered uncouncious, when he woke up he found himself dared and confused on earth as a man named Jules Winnfield who was partnered up with Vince Vega. After experiencing a near death he somewhat came to his senes so he sent out sent out to find a better life which made him change his name Neville Flynn there after he became an FBI agent and got stuck on a plane with a bunch of snakes on it.

The blow to the head turned him from a ****** jedi to an absolute mother****ing ******.

that made absolutely no sense at all did it.

I always thought it would have been better if Mace had survived ... but had been mortally wounded.

That way, when Obi and Yoda get to the temple, instead of a short holo showing Anakin figting kids (which they could still have seen later), they are greeted by a dying Mace who tells all that's happened - leaving no doubt about Anakin's treachery and giving Mr Jackson the death scene he deserved.....

Mind you, there's an awful lot I'd change about the prequels......