Lunafox Rishi House

Lunafox

I haven't been frequenting the forums as much lately, and I admit I've avoided this thread a bit (mostly to avoid sinking into depression that I am still capped out of getting Rishi :(), but by pure chance I clicked on this topic today to find this last page of posts about stanchions and museums. I shouldn't be surprised (there's nothing new under the sun), but I still was to find that someone else also had the idea to do a museum on Manaan! (The ability to give characters two names made all the difference in creating a lowbie alt name-puppet to assign to that particular SH. :D ) I have decorated nearly thirty strongholds and I still think my Manaan museum might be my favorite.

Making a museum was what I had wanted to do with Manaan since before it even came out (I'd first made one on an Imperial guild ship but I always wanted the Manaan aesthetic for it instead), and despite the abysmal hooks I went at it with a passion as soon as it was released. When server transfers were still a beautiful 90CC I used to do a lot of multiple server shopping, keeping diligent track of GTNs on all servers in order to spot specific decos I wanted. I managed to pull together 61 Medical Stanchions (which is still nowhere close to what I was able to pull together for other decos, so I definitely echo the lament about supply for this deco and too many others like it), and while the stanchions were invaluable in creating some exhibit looks, I found, at least for my designs, that the atrocious Manaan hook layouts still made it so that I had to use them sparingly, even with their being able to fit on Small hooks; it often came down to choosing between items for the actual exhibit or barriers for the exhibit because the hooks allowed for nothing else. I ended up creating a lot of open air exhibits instead, by necessity rather than preference (and even with plenty of stanchions available), but I was still happy with how it came out.

One other railing alternative I can suggest for exhibit barriers are the Iokath Protective Railing decos. They won't fit on Smalls but they do fit on Narrows, and even when I had stanchions available I used the Iokath Railings instead on some "darker" themed exhibits because they just fit the aesthetic better.

Another "trick" I found for using the stanchions as exhibit barriers was to actually space them out so they weren't flush (especially at the corners and curves of exhibit spaces). As long as I could keep the staggering regular so that it was obviously intentional, I found that it still clearly created the impression/illusion of exhibit barriers. Sure, practically speaking, someone could pass between them, but for what it conveyed to the eye it still worked well, immediately flagging things so that it's clear what you're supposed to be looking at. (Most of our decorating functions like that anyway, I would argue, conveying rather than perfectly depicting.)

I would kill to have additional rooms added on to Manaan someday. I know that's a pipe dream, but still. Just one more accessed by the turbolift, yes? They did it with Rishi when we were giving PTS feedback! ;) @ the devs. There are still so many more exhibits I could add! Ah, dreams.

That's cool! :D *high fives* I wrote about Manaan in one of my stories, and it was a cafe/museum so as soon as we were given Manaan, I knew what I had to do :D I made a thing that was soley in my mind and it's cool to do that :D The only thing missing for me on Manaan is a boat docking area with boardwalks to get to the 'ships' and 'yachts' I imagined :D I could probably manage it, if they put hooks on the water :D

Edited by Lunafox

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been frequenting the forums as much lately, and I admit I've avoided this thread a bit (mostly to avoid sinking into depression that I am still capped out of getting Rishi :(), but by pure chance I clicked on this topic today to find this last page of posts about stanchions and museums. I shouldn't be surprised (there's nothing new under the sun), but I still was to find that someone else also had the idea to do a museum on Manaan! (The ability to give characters two names made all the difference in creating a lowbie alt name-puppet to assign to that particular SH. :D ) I have decorated nearly thirty strongholds and I still think my Manaan museum might be my favorite.

Making a museum was what I had wanted to do with Manaan since before it even came out (I'd first made one on an Imperial guild ship but I always wanted the Manaan aesthetic for it instead), and despite the abysmal hooks I went at it with a passion as soon as it was released. When server transfers were still a beautiful 90CC I used to do a lot of multiple server shopping, keeping diligent track of GTNs on all servers in order to spot specific decos I wanted. I managed to pull together 61 Medical Stanchions (which is still nowhere close to what I was able to pull together for other decos, so I definitely echo the lament about supply for this deco and too many others like it), and while the stanchions were invaluable in creating some exhibit looks, I found, at least for my designs, that the atrocious Manaan hook layouts still made it so that I had to use them sparingly, even with their being able to fit on Small hooks; it often came down to choosing between items for the actual exhibit or barriers for the exhibit because the hooks allowed for nothing else. I ended up creating a lot of open air exhibits instead, by necessity rather than preference (and even with plenty of stanchions available), but I was still happy with how it came out.

One other railing alternative I can suggest for exhibit barriers are the Iokath Protective Railing decos. They won't fit on Smalls but they do fit on Narrows, and even when I had stanchions available I used the Iokath Railings instead on some "darker" themed exhibits because they just fit the aesthetic better.

Another "trick" I found for using the stanchions as exhibit barriers was to actually space them out so they weren't flush (especially at the corners and curves of exhibit spaces). As long as I could keep the staggering regular so that it was obviously intentional, I found that it still clearly created the impression/illusion of exhibit barriers. Sure, practically speaking, someone could pass between them, but for what it conveyed to the eye it still worked well, immediately flagging things so that it's clear what you're supposed to be looking at. (Most of our decorating functions like that anyway, I would argue, conveying rather than perfectly depicting.)

I would kill to have additional rooms added on to Manaan someday. I know that's a pipe dream, but still. Just one more accessed by the turbolift, yes? They did it with Rishi when we were giving PTS feedback! ;) @ the devs. There are still so many more exhibits I could add! Ah, dreams.

Thanks for the other ideas for replacement stanchions! I'll keep these in mind!

That's cool! :D *high fives* I wrote about Manaan in one of my stories, and it was a cafe/museum so as soon as we were given Manaan, I knew what I had to do :D I made a thing that was soley in my mind and it's cool to do that :D The only thing missing for me on Manaan is a boat docking area with boardwalks to get to the 'ships' and 'yachts' I imagined :D I could probably manage it, if they put hooks on the water :D

First off - double cool on building something based on a story! Multiple layers of enjoyment are the best. And I agree on the special satisfaction of being able to bring to life via decorating some place that has otherwise existed only in your mind but is key to the SW stories you are telling. I have made many places that were tailored to or direct results of RP storylines, and that is so rewarding.

I'd never thought about hooks on the surface of water in these SHs until DuchessKristiana mentioned that during the PTS feedback in regards to Rishi. They could work there because the water was so shallow, but since water is a sprite object (you pass right through it) on Manaan I suspect that's not technically possible there, but it would certainly have been fun! I think it's a shame they didn't realize underwater critters that we could have placed on the hooks outside the windows of the Underwater Observatory level. Sure, had we placed them in other SHs they'd be weird sharks floating in mid-air, but who cares? Let people do whatever makes them happy.

First off - double cool on building something based on a story! Multiple layers of enjoyment are the best. And I agree on the special satisfaction of being able to bring to life via decorating some place that has otherwise existed only in your mind but is key to the SW stories you are telling. I have made many places that were tailored to or direct results of RP storylines, and that is so rewarding.

I'd never thought about hooks on the surface of water in these SHs until DuchessKristiana mentioned that during the PTS feedback in regards to Rishi. They could work there because the water was so shallow, but since water is a sprite object (you pass right through it) on Manaan I suspect that's not technically possible there, but it would certainly have been fun! I think it's a shame they didn't realize underwater critters that we could have placed on the hooks outside the windows of the Underwater Observatory level. Sure, had we placed them in other SHs they'd be weird sharks floating in mid-air, but who cares? Let people do whatever makes them happy.

Thank you! :D It really is something and it's nice to talk to someone who's done the same and really gets it! :)

You're right it's too bad the water on Manaan doesn't seem to support hooks the same way it does on Rishi. I would have just loved to have docks and yachts. I had a yacht owned by a Hutt in my story and he always had Twi'lek dancers hanging around on it, just like rich guys in real life have pretty girls hanging about partying :D

Maybe one day, they'll upgrade the water in Manaan so we can put crafts on it. The sub would be ideal for that.

Edited by Lunafox

• 2 weeks later...
Finally finished my Rishi Stronghold this week. It's hard to get decent screenshots of everything however here they are:

My Rishi Stronghold.

It you want to come visit, it's called: "Mahiri's Pirate's Roost" on the Darth Malgus Server and is open for all :)

Very neatly designed! Especially your Sith room and the Dread Shrine, I really enjoyed the decorations there.

Very neatly designed! Especially your Sith room and the Dread Shrine, I really enjoyed the decorations there.

Thanks :) It's hard to get screenshots of all the areas without it looking a little chaotic. I do quite like my apartment though.

Finally finished my Rishi Stronghold this week. It's hard to get decent screenshots of everything however here they are:

My Rishi Stronghold.

It you want to come visit, it's called: "Mahiri's Pirate's Roost" on the Darth Malgus Server and is open for all :)

Wow SC Sarova! Looks great, I love what you did with it. Beautiful job. Hard to pick a favorite room or area, but I think mine was the bedroom on the ship. Really well done! <3

My Rishi Stronghold.

Definitely the place to visit on DM! Very very nice! :ph_love_this:

You get a 5 out of 5 galaxy rating! :sy_galaxy: :sy_galaxy: :sy_galaxy: :sy_galaxy: :sy_galaxy:

Definitely the place to visit on DM! Very very nice! :ph_love_this:

You get a 5 out of 5 galaxy rating! :sy_galaxy: :sy_galaxy: :sy_galaxy: :sy_galaxy: :sy_galaxy:

:D Thank you!

There are some weird hooks in Rishi that I found hard to fill (the random single ones dotted around) - I might change some of those, however I'm quite happy with it now it's finally done. The Devs did a really good job of using our feedback to make changes for those of us who wanted Rishi for decorating as a "homestead" rather than for PvP. If anyone is still thinking of buying the Rishi stronghold, I recommend it!

Edited by Sarova

• 2 weeks later...
I have added a few more rooms on our guild's stronghold on rishi, but still not quite finished. We are at about 63% now.

https://imgur.com/a/zdVjMnj

It all looks great, but I was especially impressed with the combat area on the ship (the room with the terminal for the target dummy). Great job Casi - and thank you for sharing it! Great design!!!

Shameless plug INC....

If any of you are on SS, I strongly encourage you to visit the Grim Determination Rishi SH. It's public and open to both factions. It's extremely well done, with a lot of attention to detail.

As for the medical stanchions, not sure if it was mentioned, but if you're decorating a guild SH, you only need one on the character (Legacy) doing the decorating and then you can simply purchase as many copies of that decoration as you want. That's one of the reasons why we decided to do Rishi as a guild SH instead of a personal SH - it was much easier (and cheaper) to decorate thanks to guild copies.

Edited by Mournblood

I have added a few more rooms on our guild's stronghold on rishi, but still not quite finished. We are at about 63% now.

It looks really nice Casi :D Wonderful job. <3

Shameless plug INC....

If any of you are on SS, I strongly encourage you to visit the Grim Determination Rishi SH. It's public and open to both factions. It's extremely well done, with a lot of attention to detail.

As for the medical stanchions, not sure if it was mentioned, but if you're decorating a guild SH, you only need one on the character (Legacy) doing the decorating and then you can simply purchase as many copies of that decoration as you want. That's one of the reasons why we decided to do Rishi as a guild SH instead of a personal SH - it was much easier (and cheaper) to decorate thanks to guild copies.

It's all good, this thread is specifically for shameless decorating plugs :D I'll log my alt and happily take a look around. I look forward to it. Thanks for the invite. ^^

I see things I like that I don't have :D I really like the big round rug in your secret treasure room - what is that called and where can I get it? I also like those big ornate things in your staging room - what are those?

I'm thinking of decorating another Rishi on SS and maybe another on SF - I'm a glutton for punishment!

I see things I like that I don't have :D I really like the big round rug in your secret treasure room - what is that called and where can I get it? I also like those big ornate things in your staging room - what are those?

I'm thinking of decorating another Rishi on SS and maybe another on SF - I'm a glutton for punishment!

statutes: Statute of Eternal Grace-Vendor-Collector's Edition- My boyfriend was a sweetheart and got 2 of them for me for the guild since he purchased the Collector's Edition when the game launched. We couldn't copy those from his list, we actually had to purchase them and donate them through the guild donation tab.

Rugs: Round Patterned Rug (Gold)- Came from the Seneschal's Pack a while back. I tend to try to get rugs that I think are pretty.

statutes: Statute of Eternal Grace-Vendor-Collector's Edition- My boyfriend was a sweetheart and got 2 of them for me for the guild since he purchased the Collector's Edition when the game launched. We couldn't copy those from his list, we actually had to purchase them and donate them through the guild donation tab.

Rugs: Round Patterned Rug (Gold)- Came from the Seneschal's Pack a while back. I tend to try to get rugs that I think are pretty.

• 5 months later...

I did a revamp on my Coruscant stronghold and wanted to share it with you all here. :) I'm most proud of the rock garden on the balcony, it took me some time to get it right. Hope you like.

PS. I would dearly love to have more hooks come available for the apartments on Coruscant and Dromund Kaas. I could do so much, if I had more. ^^

https://i.imgur.com/yb5RrDP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/C4oJV60.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/14gIGBm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CsjAA8R.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zNg7U0m.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xY00OtS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/v84Ycvf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3cdhl44.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yXxvr3o.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8b84SrR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/K7gEv3v.jpg

Edited by Lunafox