Meet the Developers: Rob Hinkle

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe he would never say commadno merc becuase he doesnt play one?

honestly what are you trying to say here, that he should lie about what class he plays to make you feel better? He is saying his favorite class, no politics behind it

even though i'm a republic player I agree with you I would've said the same exact thing

Mr Hinkle,

With all due respect it's not really my job to collect data and tell you how to balance your game in the same way that it's not my job to tell a restaurant how to cook and serve their food.

On the contrary, I just stop eating there.

Mr Hinkle,

With all due respect it's not really my job to collect data and tell you how to balance your game in the same way that it's not my job to tell a restaurant how to cook and serve their food.

On the contrary, I just stop eating there.

What is implied there in the interview? That we have the data and BW does not? This is hilarious. The (should) have simulation models to test any class. I really do not imagine that they are not familiar with the fact that smash causes 7k damage to >3 players with EWH gear.

Edited by Aetideus

What is implied there in the interview? That we have the data and BW does not? This is hilarious. The (should) have simulation models to test any class. I really do not imagine that they are not familiar with the fact that smash causes 7k damage to >3 players with EWH gear.

What is implied in the interview with the statement that customers ought to provide combat logs when discussing their dissatisfaction with class balance is the notion that BW fails to acknowledge any complaint as anything more than the emotional rantings of a sore loser unless they go to extensive efforts to collect and post data that, as you've said, BW already has.

The implication, therefore, is that class balance is fine and the vast majority of players who all agree that classes such as the mercenary/ commando are under performing don't know what we're talking about.

And to return to my restaurant analogy, I may not know how to cook great barbeque, but I sure as hell know what it tastes like. Right now, class balance in SWToR ain't great barbeque.

Edited by Phrase

Too bad this is strictly a one-way discussion.

So much for Mr. Hinkle responding to additional questions ...

one of the many reasons i've unsubbed.

been thru beta, always testing my class and spec, attempting to be helpful and assist this game in its growth...

falls on deaf ears or blind eyes...or they DGAF.

I think the lack of communication from Bioware, especially when answering people's questions just goes to show how frustrating this game is and why SWTOR has gone from literally 50+ servers down to only a handful. People won't keep playing a game when they feel the concerns they bring up are being ignored. Granted I understand that plenty of posts are just emotional outbursts by upset players. However I have seen plenty of constructive/insightful posts that go ignored by the BW staff.

This thread was created a week ago and honestly doesn't have that many posts, and several legitimate questions/posts and no BW staff has taken even 30min to answer even one.

I think the lack of communication from Bioware, especially when answering people's questions just goes to show how frustrating this game is and why SWTOR has gone from literally 50+ servers down to only a handful. People won't keep playing a game when they feel the concerns they bring up are being ignored. Granted I understand that plenty of posts are just emotional outbursts by upset players. However I have seen plenty of constructive/insightful posts that go ignored by the BW staff.

This thread was created a week ago and honestly doesn't have that many posts, and several legitimate questions/posts and no BW staff has taken even 30min to answer even one.

They will need to get back to us i think. Or a lot of people will not play the game then.

There is no other guy : ( our Rob made a boring themepark mmo, where everyone has all classes and everyone has to get the same gear for end game. Incredible linear, incredible boring : (

See...now I completely disagree. It is a trinity mmo, so things are more rigid than something like CoH...but that doesn't make it boring. If you want to criticize...give constructive feedback. Coming out and saying "this is boring and lame" doesn't even do anything to be constructive. That's the kind of stuff that developers DO NOT need. You want to see improvements? They need to hear what and why and it helps to show your work. Otherwise just leave it be if you're going to unconstructive in your criticism. That fuels an unproductive environment. Then you wonder why they don't read posts in here as much as they used to, or should.

See...now I completely disagree. It is a trinity mmo, so things are more rigid than something like CoH...but that doesn't make it boring. If you want to criticize...give constructive feedback. Coming out and saying "this is boring and lame" doesn't even do anything to be constructive. That's the kind of stuff that developers DO NOT need. You want to see improvements? They need to hear what and why and it helps to show your work. Otherwise just leave it be if you're going to unconstructive in your criticism. That fuels an unproductive environment. Then you wonder why they don't read posts in here as much as they used to, or should.

i've been posting in the Merc forums heavily since 1.2. rotations, parses, feedback, pvp experiences, etc....Et cetera!!!!

the only feedback i've seen was acknowledgment of the "lack of escapability" of merc/commando. which only further proves they do not listen to the community and have their own agenda.

i can prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, through testing and evidence, how far Merc is behind in comparison to other classes. dps, survivability, utility, in multiple scenarios!!

nothing has been done about it in > 9 months.

another MMO that failed to reach its full potential...i have many speculations as to why that is, communication and CC greed being at the top of the list.

Edited by T-Assassin

Merc dps is completely viable in pve...pvp...not really. But for a ranged dps with healer capability you shouldn't do sniper damage. If you can hit 1800 dps you are fine for any current content, and mercs can, unless...

Survivability is an issue, which it is not for mercs. However, operative dps lacks sufficient survival to be MELEE dps...if they were ranged it wouldn't even be an issue really. However they do drastically less than other melee dps in damage, AND they are super squishy with marginal situational utility. Even then, operative utility can be done by an assassin which does more dps AND has higher survival.

Merc dps is completely viable in pve...pvp...not really. But for a ranged dps with healer capability you shouldn't do sniper damage. If you can hit 1800 dps you are fine for any current content, and mercs can, unless...

viable, sure. i guess i can agree with that.

but, can you explain why my VG in the gear he inherited from my merc can produce >150-200 more DPS on a training dummy?

or perhaps how viable it is when the afore mentioned VG can produce this DPS (1850+ on training dummy) consistantly, while kiting, moving, and avoiding mob AOEs...when a Merc cannot.

viable...eh. if you say so...

Edited by T-Assassin

Because vanguards cannot heal, and vanguard tanks do WAY less dps

you're entitled to your opinion, but from my vast experiences PvE'ing, a DPS should be DPS'ing...not healing, that's the healers job.

especially, in OP's and FP scenarios...

well, maybe you and your guild do it differently, idk.

p.s. the ONLY fight i've ever healed on, as a merc, is SOA...because i don't wait for anyone...

p.p.s. your argument as of why, is ridiculous in my mind...but, i was not really specific before, i am comparing VG/Assasult and Merc/Pyro. they are shared trees!

Edited by T-Assassin

you're entitled to your opinion, but from my vast experiences PvE'ing, a DPS should be DPS'ing...not healing, that's the healers job.

especially, in OP's and FP scenarios...

well, maybe you and your guild do it differently, idk.

p.s. the ONLY fight i've ever healed on, as a merc, is SOA...because i don't wait for anyone...

p.p.s. your argument as of why, is ridiculous in my mind...but, i was not really specific before, i am comparing VG/Assasult and Merc/Pyro. they are shared trees!

Actually PT Pyro is the mirror tree...Pyro on a merc is similar but not the same. Merc Pyro allows more distance attacks and does not get some the skills pt/vg gets. Also...a vanguard, as was pointed out....has to close the gap. They are a melee range dps. Furthermore, mercs/commandos are capacble of a lot of aoe, which means while their attacks may not hit as hard, they hit more adds, so the damage equals out.

Edited by planet_J

Ok, in a short way,

Biggest investment ever what was mad to create an mmo. This MMO lands in 2011, but lest say 12, so made for the next 6-10 years if everything goes well., till 2020.

This project use a rulebook what he copied from a 10 year old mmo :rak_02: I don't know what to say...

This project use 100% themepark elements when its clear like sky, that its obsolete, and everyone who looking for a fresh mmo, looking for the magic world : sandbox.

This project use auto aim system in there concept, even in there pvp servers, even everyone is bored by the tones of click-fests what was made in the last 10 years. (by the way, mmo with the SW background + auto aim, so real skilled jedi battles lol)

This project use the "bob track" method even if everyone (except a few 12 year old player who just started his mmo adventures) hate this methods in adventuring and in character lvl'ing as well.

This project use the most linear and boring crafting system, what I ever saw, get from an mmo what I was playing.

This project had incredible amount of advertising

This project has incredible well made maps, instas

This project has a great visual atmosphere

This project has great story line (imo the greatest what I ever had in my mmo carrier!)

This project bought the best background story what was ever bought by an mmo company. (SW)

This project is the biggest fail vs investment in the mmo history! I wonder way? Maybe the "rulebook" has a teeny part in this fail? I tell you what, only the "rulebook" responsible for this fail! And even blinds are seeing it....

By the way, if some one wants from a player to fix what was not done by xxxx million dollars in a forum post, then its something wrong here...

But let me share my point of wive free and in 2 minutes not spending 6 years by brainstorming on it...

- there has to be a lot of sand box elements (google it dear rulebook writers)

- lvl system is obsolete, there should be skill based character development (killing 1000 droids makes me better healer in the biggest mmo project in 2013? Really??)

- there should be space combat (pvp) what is open word and NOT auto aim (google EVE online) Its SW!!!! And we have space combat like this? What kind of subscribers the devs imagined? Pensioners?

- forget the bob-track methods! In character development (skill based not lvl based - google elder scrolls, darkfall....) and in adventuring (real player skilled based pve, not click fest, risk vs reward system)

- crafting : players who like to craft wanna be creative, wanna self made items, self made recipes.... it goes for the crafted items attributes, bonuses, for the visual look of it + the sand box elements

- there should be no classes! Classes means borders and will lead to QQ coz of unbalance, there should be just skills, and if some one playes for 5 years if he want to he could have all ,skills, but of course can use just some of them, connected to his actual roll. And there should be a lot of variations.. lets say minimum the amount what DnD use. You don't even have to fix what race, gender you start with, with implants you can turn to droid if you go way too fare, you can change gender by hormones, operations... race by genetic modifications... it Star Wars!

Guilds should be build space stations, solo players should build houses (it can be floating capsule in the space, title hut in the swamps of balmora....

And the list can go on...

This could be the mmo project in my exes what is made for 2012-2020 and made by millions of dollars, by one of the biggest developer companies - EA, BW

Edited by LuciferinDNA

If it pleases the court, I submit Exhibit A: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=476966&highlight=unsubscriber%27s+thread

Perfect example of constructive, clear and concise criticism that is thoroughly ignored by the dev team. If you like, we can even offer up Exhibit B: the person who the thread is the subject title of, hasn't even come in to say hi or acknowledge this thread even exist.

Actually PT Pyro is the mirror tree...Pyro on a merc is similar but not the same. Merc Pyro allows more distance attacks and does not get some the skills pt/vg gets. Also...a vanguard, as was pointed out....has to close the gap. They are a melee range dps. Furthermore, mercs/commandos are capacble of a lot of aoe, which means while their attacks may not hit as hard, they hit more adds, so the damage equals out.

you are insane? PT Pyro, which VG/Assasult is the Republic equivilent. i.e. the same damn tree.

CLOSE THE GAP????!!!! WHAT????

grapple, casting while moving, 10m range on IP(FB)/CGC/HiB(RS), and 30m on "auto attack".

VG/PT is a kiting machine!!! ideal kiting range is 7-9m...the sweet spot for VG/PT...how bout that merc? when they get jumped to? how concerned are you about closing the gap now?? i'd be more concerned with maintaining the gap of 7-9m...which is why i'm pretty awesome at PvP...

PvE?? closing the gap, really??, again. fights are scripted, it's a dance...learn the moves and closing the gap is moot.

starting the fight, closing the gap you say? perfect time to "auto attack", proc a CGC, and HiB/RS to begin your rotation. say CGC doesn't proc...30m 'AA", close to 10m, IP/FB / HiB/RS, begin your rotation...you lose MAYBE one CD...ONE!

if your argument is closing the gap, you have no idea how to play a mobile class.

*EDIT* i can't even believe "closing the gap" was mentioned!!!

Edited by T-Assassin

Ok, in a short way... "insert sandbox mmo rant"

Look, it's not a sandbox...it will never be...so if you want to play a sandbox mmo...go play one. Stop complaining about irreversible design decisions..

If they ask for SWTOR 2 feedback great...if not...all of your text wall means nothing productive.

Look, it's not a sandbox...it will never be...so if you want to play a sandbox mmo...go play one. Stop complaining about irreversible design decisions..

If they ask for SWTOR 2 feedback great...if not...all of your text wall means nothing productive.

^^^ furthest thing from sandbox.

this is the most linear MMO i have ever played. it's simplicity isn't for everyone, but is intuitive for everyone. i understand why they did it.

doesn't excuse the gross imbalance between classes, lack of content in both PvE and PvP, and bugs. in my opinion, it makes it much worse.

you are insane? PT Pyro, which VG/Assasult is the Republic equivilent. i.e. the same damn tree.

CLOSE THE GAP????!!!! WHAT????

grapple, casting while moving, 10m range on IP(FB)/CGC/HiB(RS), and 30m on "auto attack".

VG/PT is a kiting machine!!! ideal kiting range is 7-9m...the sweet spot for VG/PT...how bout that merc? when they get jumped to? how concerned are you about closing the gap now?? i'd be more concerned with maintaining the gap of 7-9m...which is why i'm pretty awesome at PvP...

PvE?? closing the gap, really??, again. fights are scripted, it's a dance...learn the moves and closing the gap is moot.

starting the fight, closing the gap you say? perfect time to "auto attack", proc a CGC, and HiB/RS to begin your rotation. say CGC doesn't proc...30m 'AA", close to 10m, IP/FB / HiB/RS, begin your rotation...you lose MAYBE one CD...ONE!

if your argument is closing the gap, you have no idea how to play a mobile class.

*EDIT* i can't even believe "closing the gap" was mentioned!!!

Clearly you've never played Pyro...any attack worth using REQUIRES 10m or less range...yes it's mobile...but you are still in melee range. TD was nerfed to 10m range...remember?

Ever seen a Pyro try to kill a REAL ranged class...? Watch one take a sniper/GS...they won't try twice because it's moot...they're dead before the gap is closed.

Mercs can stay at 30m range and volley back...pyros can't even dream of that.

Pyro is VERY kitable for engineering snipers too btw...

Edited by planet_J

Clearly you've never played Pyro...any attack worth using REQUIRES 10m or less range...yes it's mobile...but you are still in melee range. TD was nerfed to 10m range...remember?

Ever seen a Pyro try to kill a REAL ranged class...? Watch one take a sniper/GS...they won't try twice because it's moot...they're dead before the gap is closed.

Mercs can stay at 30m range and volley back...pyros can't even dream of that.

Pyro is VERY kitable for engineering snipers too btw...

clearly. i do however have a VG/Assault...and last time i checked i held 5 top boss parses on torparse. (and quite a few more top VG/PT parses)

clearly.

and PT/VG has a counter?? oh no!!

so, your saying that because PT can't grapple a sniper in cover or cleanse an Engy's dots, that Mercs > PT??

you, CLEARLY, are misinformed, underinformed, or just plain ignorant on game mechanincs.

yes, snipers are difficult to kill when in the open...but, use LOS and close the gap...it's over quickly. same with lethality. they get you in the open, you're in trouble.

ever stun one, grapple em (with your back to a wall, so they can't KB you?) i have...works quite well.

having a class that can negate my strengths...i got no problem with that. i have to use strategy and teamwork...blasphemy!

*Editted* cuz i wanted to. don't get caught being stupid (in the open, solo, no LOS, not paying attention to your surroundings, etc.) and you will die a lot less.

Edited by T-Assassin