Developer Update: Introduction to Galactic Strongholds

TaitWatson

I've hate this community sometimes, always whining!...

New housing system looks really good, ''and of course it can look better'', but so far I'm pleased, looking forward what else BW has in store for us...

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hooks?! Seriously? What an extreme disappointment. That RUINS housing imo. Great job making housing as worthless as lotro's is.

When can we hear about 3.0? Because this sucks.

It's hooks you can move around or alternate 1 big hooks or several smaller hooks though.

If it was just hooks that you could only put one item there for, I'd be in arms.

Hey everyone!

Hope you are enjoying the blog so far. Musco, Toby McCall, and Jack Wood will be doing a twitch stream later today at 1:30pm PDT where they will be giving you a preview of the decoration system of Galactic Strongholds.

Hope to see y'all there!

I guess you read my twitch messages about Toby McCall. :rak_03:

One question:

"Unlike other unlocks such as mounts and minipets, decorations are unlocked across your entire Legacy by default"

Does that mean vehicles can be only seen by the toon they are on? Or they have to be placed by a single toon but then viewable by all in the legacy. Curious how that works.

If I have a Bantha on my sentinel and put it in the garage, can only he see it, can all in the legacy see it (but only he can place it), or can anyone who has it unlocked in collections see it?

It's hooks you can move around or alternate 1 big hooks or several smaller hooks though.

If it was just hooks that you could only put one item there for, I'd be in arms.

agree but its still hooks! remow that **** or give us option to not use hooks

I can possibly see why people would like the hooks to be aids - but considering that most of the housing deco in SWG looked terrible, I'm not really surprised. While this prevents some of the truly awesome work we saw there, it also prevents the large mass of utterly horrific looking house decoration that 90% of people had.

Hooks ruined housing in lotro. The fact that they have them here is ridiculous.

TUXs, please go back and re-read what they said and take a deep breath.

"Decorations can be placed by entering Edit Mode and selecting one of the many decoration hooks located throughout the Stronghold."

Hooks were the worst possible thing they could have done imo.

I can possibly see why people would like the hooks to be aids - but considering that most of the housing deco in SWG looked terrible, I'm not really surprised. While this prevents some of the truly awesome work we saw there, it also prevents the large mass of utterly horrific looking house decoration that 90% of people had.

If it's an aid that can be turned on and off then that fixes that problem while allowing the people who want to try and make something a little more unique to actually do it.

Will the unlock counts be Stronghold based, or Legacy based?

Example; I have unlocked a chair 3 times. Can I place it 3 times in each of my 4 Strongholds (ie 12 total)? Or only 3 times total?

And I'm thrilled about this expansion. I know some people are upset about the hooks, but I for one like the balance struck here. Well done.

One question:

"Unlike other unlocks such as mounts and minipets, decorations are unlocked across your entire Legacy by default"

Does that mean vehicles can be only seen by the toon they are on? Or they have to be placed by a single toon but then viewable by all in the legacy. Curious how that works.

If I have a Bantha on my sentinel and put it in the garage, can only he see it, can all in the legacy see it (but only he can place it), or can anyone who has it unlocked in collections see it?

While not certain, considering other people who may not have a bantha or [insert status pet/mount], if it was tied to legacy then everyone would need that mount or pet to see it. As long as one character in your legacy has it, I'd imagine that means when you place it in the stronghold that everyone will see it.

Legacy Storage is Cartel Market -or- Crafter.

Anyone else here worried that they'll pull the same garbage they pulled with the G7 ship components? You can get them for a brazillion Cartel Coins now, or you can wait 7 weeks until crafters have done enough of an artificially limited quest line and made enough of an artificially limited material to make them... :rolleyes:

Very worried actually.rest of it im cool with and excited for.

As someone who has dropped a considerable amount of $$$$$$ on predominantly cash-store based housing in other games, I am incredibly disappointed with the decision to make TOR's housing based on hooks.

The segment of MMO players who are passionate about housing want to actually be able to create new and interesting things, not just place tables and chairs around a prefabricated house.

I want to be able to turn a bunch of bookcases around to create a new wall made out of their backs.

I want to be able to flip a chair upside down and stick a table through it to make a new and unique shelf.

I want to be able to levitate items in the air.

I want to have free control to place things wherever I want to create something truly unique.

This is an absolutely massive letdown and I really hope the devs reconsider. The hook system looks nice for people who are very casual about housing, but please give us an option to turn it off and have three dimensional item placement. Otherwise, this game will NOT attract dedicated MMO decorators who play other games for that reason.

As someone who has dropped a considerable amount of $$$$$$ on predominantly cash-store based housing in other games, I am incredibly disappointed with the decision to make TOR's housing based on hooks.

The segment of MMO players who are passionate about housing want to actually be able to create new and interesting things, not just place tables and chairs around a prefabricated house.

I want to be able to turn a bunch of bookcases around to create a new wall made out of their backs.

I want to be able to flip a chair upside down and stick a table through it to make a new and unique shelf.

I want to have free control to place things wherever I want to create something truly unique.

This is an absolutely massive letdown and I really hope the devs reconsider. The hook system looks nice for people who are very casual about housing, but please give us an option to turn it off and have three dimensional item placement. Otherwise, this game will NOT attract dedicated MMO decorators who play other games for that reason.

/signed

^ This

I was hoping for free form but at least the hook system seems flexible and much better than the lotro hook system. Ill get it a chance when it launches.

For those wanting a free form system its too late and much more complicated than turning a toggle on and off. They have would have to redo the whole system for that

Perfectly said!!!

/signed

BW mess it up again. I can't fathom this... it's obvious that's what players wanted, and yet they simply go and do whatever they want. Not bee this disappointed since they announced GSF was PvP only... another crappy design decision!

I have a suggestion... Can we maybe wait until we get our hands on it before we complain about the hooks.

Honestly short of any desire to defy the laws of physics... it looks like you will be able to do pretty much whatever you want to do with the various options given.

I have a suggestion... Can we maybe wait until we get our hands on it before we complain about the hooks.

Honestly short of any desire to defy the laws of physics... it looks like you will be able to do pretty much whatever you want to do with the various options given.

No it doesn't lol. Look at the gif.

BIG wall = BIG peg, 2 medium pegs, 4 small and 1 medium peg or 8 small pegs.

Nope, a hook system that can't be turned off is disappointing and will stifle creativity. The devs need to know that a good portion of the community wants to turn it off.

No it doesn't lol. Look at the gif.

BIG wall = BIG peg, 2 medium pegs, 4 small and 1 medium peg or 8 small pegs.

Whats your point?

I fail to see looking at http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/na/StrongholdsIntroduction_06302014/StrongholdsIntro_GIF_02.gif what the limitation is.

There may not be any items that are the size of 1x2 or 2x3

If there are not then I don't see the limitation.

We see the medium peg in the middle and at the top so you can have 2 small above it and below it. Or have all 4 above or below it.

If you have one small item you can put it wherever you please.

If you have one large item you would be limited in where you can place it even on a free form area.

Maybe the system is more limiting then I think it is, but looking at all the options you have it really doesn't seem that way.

But why argue, Some on these forums will ***** and moan no matter what Bioware announces.

I am just saying wait until we actually get our hands on it before going crazy.